The Sober Universe
This is the forum to discuss materials relating to the Sober Universe SU. The Sober Universe is the canon material excluding interviews, documentaries, and additional material from JKR.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
ToManyLetters

This is a topic to recommend your favourite stories for others to read.

NOTE: YOU MAY NOT RECOMMEND YOUR OWN STORIES.

Also note: Please introduce yourself on the introduction thread before posting here.

Use the following format

Story Name:

Author's Name:

Link:

Pairing(s):

Genre(s):

Rating:

Why You're Recommending This Story:

Personal Full-Story Review:

3/8/2008 . Edited 2/4/2011 #1
OhMyKai
[b]Story Name[/b]: [s:3633815:1:What If?] [b]Author's Name[/b]: hybrid2 [b]Link[/b]: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3633815/1/ [b]Pairing(s)[/b]: None Yet [b]Genre(s)[/b]: Adventure [b]Rating[/b]: Teen [b]Why You're Recommending This Story[/b]: It's very well-written, one of my favorite Harry Potter non-pairing stories, and it's a great read if you're up for reading an eventual-novel-length story. [b]Personal Full-Story Review[/b]: I've always really liked Slytherin!Harry, and this is well done because Harry is still a child, albeit a strange one. Many times Slytherin-sorted-Harry stories are about extremely mature Harrys and they tend to get annoying because the child doesn't depend on anyone. This story, What If?, is realistic and worth reading.
3/8/2008 . Edited by ToManyLetters, 3/8/2008 #2
mackgirl
[b]Story Name:[/b] The Reunion [b]Author's Name:[/b] JJ Rust [b]Link: [/b] http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4133728/1/Family_Reunion [b]Pairings:[/b] Harry/Luna with a little Ron/Hermione and Ginny/Dennis Creevey [b]Rating:[/b] T (but I think this should actually be a lower rating) [b]Why You're Recommending This Story:[/b] This story is not only well written, but it will have you laughing extremely hard. [b]Personal Full-Story Review:[/b] I don't feel I can give the story a well enough review, but I'll give it a try. Basically Harry and Luna take their kids to the Zoo, only to run into Vernon and Petunia. Luna meets Harry's Uncle and Aunt for the first time, and all that follows is funny, funny and more funny. It really is a great read and is hillarious.
3/15/2008 #3
mackgirl
[b]Story Name:[/b] The Giant Chicken Heart That Ate Hogwarts [b]Author's Name:[/b] JJ Rust [b]Link:[/b] http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4118210/1/The_Giant_Chicken_Heart_That_Ate_Hogwarts [b]Pairings:[/b] There are no pairings mentioned. [b]Rating:[/b] T (once again I feel the rating is a little high for the story) [b]Why You're Recommending This Story:[/b] Once again JJ Rust has given us a very well written, and hillarious story. [b]Personal Full-Story Review:[/b] This story takes place sometime after Ron starts puking up slugs. Draco is sitting in his room listening to the Wireless when the program is interupted for a special broadcast. A Gaint Chicken Heart is loose in Hogsmeade, and as each report comes in Draco his more and more terrified. The Gaint Chicken Heart is not stopped and then makes it's way to Hogwarts, where Draco takes off running trying to save his life. I really don't want to spoil anything, but you really have to read this.
3/15/2008 #4
werforpsu
Story Name: Harry Potter and The Summer of Change Author's Name: lorddwar Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2567419/1/ Pairings: Harry/Tonks Rating: M Why You're Recommending This Story: I loved this story. It is very well written as well as being a complete story without forgotten loose ends which occur in so many stories. When I began, the idea of Tonks and Harry was a little strange, but this story makes it work. The story begins where OOtP finishes and focuses on Harry taking control of his life and making decisions. This fic is over 325,000 words and has over 1750 reviews. It has a few original characters to the plot and all are developed well. This fic is rated M, which is appropriate. it includes some sex and some violence. truly, i cannot explain easily how great this story is.
3/19/2008 #5
Respitini
[q]truly, i cannot explain easily how great this story is.[/q] And you don't have to -- it speaks for itself. Truly wonderful fic. Half of me wants a sequel, but the more rational half knows that the author went about as far as he could with the concept. He squeezed every drop of Super!Harry he could have out of the fic without making it silly (and yes, it's possible to have a reasonable Super!Harry fic). He killed off a baddie and gave MoldyShorts the finger. The only thing left would be a final Harry&MoldyShorts battle and more Harry/Tonks goodness.
3/21/2008 #6
katherinegrace79

Story Name: The Lives We Touch

Author: Beccabo

Link:www.fanfiction.net/s/3729320

Rating: T

Pairing: Sirius/OC

Summary: When Harry Potter is assigned to Maggie Thompson's class, the young teacher takes a liking to the strange but sweet boy. As their friendship grows through the years, she is drawn into his mysterious and exciting world.

Why I Like It: I like this because it is well-written, nicely laid out, character description is spot on and it has a lovely centre plot to it with romance, adventure and surprise. Even if you don't like Sirius/OC stories, you should give this one a try as it truly is fantastic.

Kate

5/20/2008 #7
violet-phoenix-rose

Story Name: Trust Me

Author's Name: CullenCrazy32

Link: Trust Me

Pairing(s): Lupin/Tonks

Rating: T for precautionary measures (as in there is nothing that deserves that rating yet)

Why You're Recommending This Story: because it's sweet. and i've cried a bit

7/21/2008 #8
Clarisse the Wild

Title No More Tears, Pretty Girl

Author's Name How is this important? Like, at all?

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5945377/1/No_More_Tears_Pretty_Girl

Pairing Teddy x Lily

Why you're recommending this story 'cause there are no words that can describe just how blown away I'm by the amazingness of it all. The author's words are melodic, the whole fic's just beautiful, and it's really inspiring. Before, I didn't even know this pairing existed but I'm sure I would have hated it because of the age difference between the two characters if I found out about it in any other fic, but this author made me want to write a fan fic about them... which I, in the end, was too lazy to do, but I was still inspired and that's the point. OK, so you guys would actually get it, here's a little excerpt: Things are said, be they truth or lie, and they always seem to be the same old thing; we're stuck with the same record playing over and over and over again. Too old, too young, too poor, too noble--- too something or other (anything to keep us apart, anything to keep us miserable) because we're just that used to tiptoeing around each other. Isn't just too great for words? This fic is a masterpiece. And maybe I should shut my mouth now.

5/22/2010 #9
renzhie

Anyone up for time travel? because it's not just another time-travel. (I used to read lots of time-travel fic, but have stopped now. This one is an exception.)

Story Name: Flying High

Author's Name: show.me.the.stars

Link: Flying High

Pairing(s): Sirius/Hermione

Genre(s): Romance/Drama

Rating: M, but it has no M content so far.

Why You're Recommending This Story: It's different, well-written, and amazing. She (the author) characterised each character (somewhere near) perfectly. (IMO) Gotta love Dorcas Meadows, Regulus Black, the Marauders, Lily Evans, Charlus and Dorea Potter, and even OC.

anyway...

Author's Name How is this important? Like, at all?

It's pretty important. :) The author's name is Aiiimy, though she changes her penname (I-will-be-your-valentine)for valentine's theme. hahaha. And yes, She wrote very good TeddyLily fics along with Ellie (s i l v e r a u r o r a) , Amy (Amy is Rockin or Will-you-be-my-valentine *shakes head*), and Jenny (xrawrDINOSAURx).

/just thought I should mention it.

2/14/2011 . Edited 2/14/2011 #10
Esther Huffleclaw

Story Name: Along Came a Family

Author's Name: imablack

Link: Along Came a Family

Pairing(s): none

Genre(s): Hurt/Comfort/Drama

Rating: T

Why You're Recommending This Story: It's an absolutely amazing AU tale where Harry and Snape discover they have a connection (not romantic), but it doesn't ever go out of character.

Personal Full-Story Review: This story is incredible. I can't really tell you why without spoilers. You have to read it.

6/9/2011 #11
LupinLover88

Okay story recommendations. I have a bunch but I'll make it short. 1. Go with the tide by Tantz. Site is http://www.fanfiction.net/~tantz She has a sequal to that. It's Harry's gone blind and Snape's the one training him so he can fight against Voldemort. Highly recommended. 2. If you're not in to all that, then try Oblivious by Jess Pallas http://www.fanfiction.net/~jesspallas This is a Remus fic talking about how he became a werewolf, but that's only the tip of the iceberg. She does write a sequal after that, so you'll be in for a long read as her fics are way long. Last one, let's think of a good one. It's called Resonance by greengecko http://www.fanfiction.net/~greengecko That one's a snape one with Harry. It's long, as she makes a whole series out of it. Definitely recommended. I have one more but will save it. smiles

4/30/2012 #12
Forum Moderators: ToManyLetters
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member