Things We Hate About The PR Fandom
Have something that is irritating you about the fandom? Get it off your chest here. Be it rangers acting OOC to cliche plots to MarySue/GaryStus.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »
zeopurple

I also gotta say, good job with that oneshot. Glad the post could give you some inspiration.

Hopefully, others will see the humor in it and some of those writers who use those things will maybe even learn what not to do...LOL

3/11/2009 #31
Jessica01

2)"There was no other guy and Kim wrote the letter because she could see the growing attraction between Tommy and Kat"

What? Kim was in another state. How could she have seen the attraction between two people in California?

8/5/2009 #32
CoolDiva

Yeah, seeing a grwoing attraction from thousands of miles away would be an incredible trick...

8/28/2009 . Edited 8/28/2009 #33
CoolDiva

Psycho Tangerine said: I agree with every single thing on that list. The letter fics are completely overdone and boring. Very rarely do I come across one that is actually feasible and interesting. I think Kim did find another guy and that Tommy called her at some point after the break up (or she called him) to discuss it. Besides, how many high school romances last? It's just first love, it's cute, but it's usually not permanent.

Right. on. I agree 100%. Two ppl that hooked up at 14/15 rarely have a happily ever after. If they do, we can all bet they faced some serious trials and problems throughout the relationship. And I don't get why people like to write "they never discussed the letter" fics, either. Turbo movie, ppl. Even if they didn't show it, it can be safely assumed that Kim and Tommy talked. It's crazy and more than a little creepy to have a 30-year-old Tommy all about a girl that dumped him in HS. Having him practically build a shrine to Kim. If that's the case, homeboy has issues and should seek professional help ASAP. Or have Hayley do everyone a favor by shooting him and getting it over with.

And the "reasons" people give for no Pink Dino Gem in their fics are nauseating, IMO.

8/28/2009 #34
LLSmoothJ

Sadily, this is almost always the deal when in a show a main male character/main female character becomes the first couple. Then when something happens to it, they try to look for any excuse to declare discontinuity or come up with fics to "set right what went wrong." First Girl/Guy wins after all (sadly).

8/29/2009 #35
pinkstranger

I just wanted to comment on a few of these things...

3)"Kat wrote the letter"

That's the stupidest idea I'd ever heard of, like Kat would have gone out of her way to forge a US POSTAL letter from FLORIDA just take Tommy away from Kim. Also, if Kat wrote the letter then why didn't Kim tell someone that she didn't break up with Tommy. Umm. If Kim didn't write the letter than she and Tommy would have still been talking even if by mail. And if my bf didn't call or send me a letter you better believe that I would have been on a plane to kick his butt or on the phone saying "What the hell!" Sometime people don't think before they write, drives me crazy!

8)"Kim was raped, kidnapped, or some other tragedy forced her to write the letter"

This is the one that enrages me the most! I personally survived through a hell like that and I cannot tolerate someone writting about it! Fics that have Kimberly raped, beaten, and/or kidnapped are a HUGE INSULT to the real victims such as myself. Then to make it worse they have Kimberly come back into Tommy's arms as only he can heal her. They have Kimberly as a broken shell, whimpering in the shadows at every movement, scared to even touch another human! That is an insult to the character that is Kimberly Anne Hart! While not my favorite character she deserves to be portrayed as the strong individual that she is. Being rapped can happen, but it would not force Kimberly to write a break up letter to Tommy, if anything she would draw her strength from him and he would help her to heal, even if only as a friend!! Stop insulting the real victims out there and "bashing" Kimberly with this plot idea!!

11)"Recycled plots"

How many times can Kim show up in Reefside as Conner or Kira's Aunt? Or how about Kim always mysteriously has the pink dino gem" Or comes to Reefside mentoring a team of her own who eventually end up working with Tommy's team. Or Kim pining away for years for Tommy and equally pining away for her. That makes both of their characters look pathetic. Or Kim's daughter (who just happens to be Tommy's too) shows up and becomes the pink ranger

A) I don't really think there are that many original idea out there. I belive it is how things are written that seperate similar plots. But most are written the same. which makes me go blah blah blah blah about almost every story involving Kim and Tommy. Find a different way of telling the story and maybe I'll actually read it.

B) The whole pinning away thing... Yeah I'm guilty of it in a couple of my stories for Kat and Tommy, but the way I have done it is that they moved on were seeing other people but under it all they still thought of each other. Which I think is realistic. Then they meet again and sparks fly... yada yada yada... they a couple again. My biggest story right now even had Tommy married to someone else and Kat had been engaged to someone else. I don't, however, see Tommy pinning away after anyone without even a glance at another woman. There can be the thought of "What if..." but not the "Oh I miss her so much!" "I can' live without her!" especially after a decade!

C)IF Kim and Tommy had a daughter she wouldn't be old enough to be a ranger unless she pulled a Justin... even then she wouldn't be in Reefside alone without her mother... there again lays another problem... Good grief it's stupid... Tommy's supposedly like 28 or so in DT, he cannot have a high school aged daughter unless he was like 12 or maybe even 14 when she was concieved!! Stupid people!

D) Kim having the pink dino gem... acutally I can't argue with that one. Ultra Sonic has one with Kat finding a pink gem and I actually like that one... AU and all, but still good. So I can't begrudge Kim fans to have the same thing LOL

Okay I'm done with my rant now! Sorry to take up so much space and time! LOL

Pinkstranger OUT!!

4/28/2010 #36
DeplorableMeme

Wow, I forgot about this thread. o.O

I agree with pinkstranger's comment on the "original idea" comment. Truthfully, original ideas as a concept are rare. In fact, C.S. Lewis said something about that. He says, however, that if you write without giving a dern about what other people think, nine times out of ten you will be original without having tried. Originality is about being yourself. Kudos on that comment.

I also agree that pining is annoying as Hell. There is always going to be one person in your life who you will always wish things have been different with. I have one such love in my life, but I also know it will probably never be changed. There are times I wish things could have gone differently, etc... If given a chance, I could easily fall for her again, however, I am not going to waste my life waiting for her to change her mind. People who write fictions, this is not limited to Power Rangers fandom, about people whining for years about having "lost" the one true love, blah blah blah blah. Cry me a river. *shrugs* I try to avoid this but if my fictions ever cross into pining-territory, I hope my readers will be kind enough to say, "What the f'n Hell is your problem, EtherWylde? You totally just made Tommy a pining loser. How does it feel to suck?" Or something along those lines.

To an earlier comment, can't remember who said it, yes, actual publishing companies will not give a flying feck about a writer's feelings. if it sucks, oh my lord will they tell you. However, no need to tell fellow fic-writers they suck. But no need to act like they are doing a good job either. "Hey, that was a fun fic, but you could use some help here and here and here. If you do that, your next fic will be better." Also, some things just come with age and experience.

Now... I hate fics about Pink Dino gems. I do. I don't care if it's Kim, Kat, some weird little daughter of Tommy/Kim or Tommy/Kat (which is even less probable), or some random Mary Sue OC who is the epitome of Ranger experience because she's obsessed with Rangers and yada yada yada. I will respect retellings of a season but I very rarely like them. I love the campy, goofy, retardness of Ranger episodes. So I hate fics about Pink Dino gems. One of the most amusing parts of DT was Kira's constant bombardment by testosterone. It's amusing and hilarious.

So that's that. If anything else appears that I cannot stand about Tommy/Kim fics, then I will definitely post it.

One last thing, it's Tommy/Kim or TKim, not TK. :-P TK could mean Tommy/Kim, or Tommy/Kat or even... *shudders* Tommy/Kira. Narsty.

4/29/2010 #37
Cenobite829

First I want to say there are some great points that have been brought up so far but I want to weigh in on one thing that has been brought up. That is the Kim is raped/beaten/abused storylines. Yes they are extremely insulting to the victims of these horrible crimes but there is one thing that no one pointed out so far. Kim is an expereanced fighter that fought horrific creatures for almost three years. Do you honestly believe that some random guy could beat her up or even intimadate her. She would rip that guy in half. Yeah you could argue that maybe the guy was too big but as a teacher of self-defence technique beats size and Kim has had years to prefect hers. It always strikes me as odd how they want to make Kim so helpless but they'll make Trini the baddest b*tch on the block. That just always bothered me.

5/16/2010 #38
CoolDiva

Cenobite, I feel ya. Especially about the Kim/Trini thing. Another thing is the 'Kim should be with Tommy since Jason/Billy/Zack are like brothers to her, so, that's like incest'. Uh, what now? It's incest with Kim, but, hooking one of those three guys up with Trini is a-okay? Since Trini's part of the original five and it's implied that they were all close friends all their lives, shouldn't it be "eww, gross, no way" for HER and any of those three, also? lol

5/19/2010 #39
April Dawn Irene

I agree completely.

However, at the same time... I think some of us still harbor some sort of dislike for Kat as well as Kim. Obviously there are reasons for this. I don't recall the episode with the letter. And I never had the heart to track it down and rewatch it. You see, when I was little Kimberly Hart was my favorite ranger apart from Tommy and when Kat took her place, I got angry at Kat. Then when I got older, I found out about the letter that everyone in the fanfiction realm was talking about and writing about and for a while I didn't believe it for a long time until a friend of mine watched the episode and confirmed it.

So now I hate both Kim and Kat. Kim I hate for breaking Tommy's heart and Kat I hate... Well, for enabling Kim to go to Florida where she obviously met someone or something and made her decision that she didn't love Tommy anymore which I refuse to believe would have happened if she'd stayed in Angel Grove. For the most part I avoid reading Tommy/Kim fics now because so many of them just are unrealistic and don't properly make me forget my anger towards both Kim and Kat.

I tried writing one where Kim winds up in Reefside, where Tommy is... But I lost where I wanted to go with it probably because of the reasons mentioned by others. It's very, very hard to write a good Tommy/Kim fic. Heck, it's hard to write a good PR fic, period.

1/20/2011 #40
kikikimamama

The thing about Tommy/Kim reunions is that, and I'm not bashing anyone, most fanfic writers either don't think outside the box, or can't for whatever reason. With this, what usually occurs is that someone comes up with an original idea and everyone else latches onto it, creating their own versions of the same idea. This is why there is so much of the same thing. Mind you, my story has a similair reunion aspect for those two, so I really can't say anything, even if it is a small part of the overall story.

On the other hand...

Nope. Nevermind, thought I had a good argument for the pros of those standards... but I don't.

3/29/2011 #41
Michelle the Editor

I understand that, being the originals, Tommy and Kim's relationship would naturally be the most popular--which is probably why every reply on this topic is about them--but there is at least one author who goes around asking people to write Tommy/Kim fics "because there aren't enough." Several months ago, I counted 54 of the things. Also, related to what some people have said, why do Tommy and Kim always turn into spineless angsters over their high school relationship?

4/29/2011 #42
Imissthem

Hooray to the original poster. All valid points. I have a my two cents though (obviously). There are ways authors can use the same idea (eg the letter or pregnancy) and spin it to make it interesting and fresh. Its all about the amount of effort the author decides to out into a fic. I always say its about quality and not quantity. i would never rush a chapter just because its been a while since i updated.

The other issue is that of Kat. Make it known that I do not have a problem with her character, but I do have a problem with her being paired with Tommy, and this is why. When Kat was under rita's spell, she was forced into helping Rita destroy the power rangers by stealing a power coin. Correct me if i am wrong (because its been years) but Rita did not single out the pink coin. And even if she did, Rita's spell should not have spiked kat's interest in Tommy and her advances towards him despite the fact that he was clearly taken. the whole stealing the picture, ripping it in half, and crushing Kim was all Kat (did i mention her hiding the picture from rita?). and also when kim invited her to the beach she only wanted to go when she saw Tommy was going. there are a few other times too where she cast evil glares and so forth. Yes, the spell might have caused her to act out more, but Rita had no interest in teenage love, therefore kat's personal vendetta against Kim was Katherine's own doing, because she wanted tommy. When the spell was undone she was redeemed, but one thing still stood strong: her interest in Tommy. Sorry, but i just cant accept it. maybe if it was written in another way it wouldnt have bothered me so. I just feel like she shouldnt have ended up with him because of how it all started out. But hey thats just me. with all that said, I would never bash her in a Fanfic, I just choose to omit that entire storyline.

Now the issue of the letter. I know Saban created the characters and had all right to write the characters as they saw fit, but personally i think that the letter was blatantly bashing Kim's character. It was totally out of her character and i feel insulted that the writers would think true fans of the couple would accept that Kim thought of Tommy as just a brother. Pleeaaassee! I think that was them demonizing Kim so Kat could have him (like authors on here demonize kat so kim can have him back). I chose to not watch the series beyond the letter, just like i choose not to read fanfics on here that bashes any of the characters (including katherine.)

I tend to stay away from reunion fics. I love to read about them the way i remembered them back in high school. Thats was the them i fell in love with. Plus reunion fics tend to include the letter, which i dont like (not to mention that i prefer tommy with his ponytail *wink*)

Another thing i can't swallow no matter how much i try is when the characters cuss like a sailor. that, too, i think is out of character. There is nothing wrong with just once or twice, but constantly? especially the girls. its just....err... raunchy. But that may be a personal thing too :)

6/4/2011 #43
Imissthem

Hooray to the original poster. All valid points. I have a my two cents though (obviously). There are ways authors can use the same idea (eg the letter or pregnancy) and spin it to make it interesting and fresh. Its all about the amount of effort the author decides to out into a fic. I always say its about quality and not quantity. i would never rush a chapter just because its been a while since i updated.

The other issue is that of Kat. Make it known that I do not have a problem with her character, but I do have a problem with her being paired with Tommy, and this is why. When Kat was under rita's spell, she was forced into helping Rita destroy the power rangers by stealing a power coin. Correct me if i am wrong (because its been years) but Rita did not single out the pink coin. And even if she did, Rita's spell should not have spiked kat's interest in Tommy and her advances towards him despite the fact that he was clearly taken. the whole stealing the picture, ripping it in half, and crushing Kim was all Kat (did i mention her hiding the picture from rita?). and also when kim invited her to the beach she only wanted to go when she saw Tommy was going. there are a few other times too where she cast evil glares and so forth. Yes, the spell might have caused her to act out more, but Rita had no interest in teenage love, therefore kat's personal vendetta against Kim was Katherine's own doing, because she wanted tommy. When the spell was undone she was redeemed, but one thing still stood strong: her interest in Tommy. Sorry, but i just cant accept it. maybe if it was written in another way it wouldnt have bothered me so. I just feel like she shouldnt have ended up with him because of how it all started out. But hey thats just me. with all that said, I would never bash her in a Fanfic, I just choose to omit that entire storyline.

Now the issue of the letter. I know Saban created the characters and had all right to write the characters as they saw fit, but personally i think that the letter was blatantly bashing Kim's character. It was totally out of her character and i feel insulted that the writers would think true fans of the couple would accept that Kim thought of Tommy as just a brother. Pleeaaassee! I think that was them demonizing Kim so Kat could have him (like authors on here demonize kat so kim can have him back). I chose to not watch the series beyond the letter, just like i choose not to read fanfics on here that bashes any of the characters (including katherine.)

I tend to stay away from reunion fics. I love to read about them the way i remembered them back in high school. Thats was the them i fell in love with. Plus reunion fics tend to include the letter, which i dont like (not to mention that i prefer tommy with his ponytail *wink*)

Another thing i can't swallow no matter how much i try is when the characters cuss like a sailor. that, too, i think is out of character. There is nothing wrong with just once or twice, but constantly? especially the girls. its just....err... raunchy. But that may be a personal thing too :)

6/4/2011 #44
Imissthem

6/4/2011 #45
Michelle the Editor

You know what? You've helped me realize exactly why I like Kat as a character. She's attracted to Tommy from the beginning, and the evil spell takes away whatever noble impulses would prevent her from just getting rid of her rival. However, it's the realization that Kimberly's about to get injured that snaps her out of the spell. Her better side wins out even though she's got everything to gain from letting Kim lie on the floor overnight. Then, after she gets the pink power coin, does Kat make a move on Tommy? No. She doesn't lay a finger on him until Kimberly sends the Letter. That inner conflict wasn't well-developed on the show, but it's there.

I don't think the Letter was character bashing. I think it was executive idiocy. "We have to have an onscreen romance. Tommy is a popular character. Oh, wait, his girlfriend is in Florida. Hey, we already have another pretty girl who's interested, let's throw them together!" Actually, this is the same kind of thinking that creates many stupid pairings, if you replace "his girlfriend is in Florida" with "he only had a girlfriend for one episode" and "another interested girl" with "this fellow Ranger smiled at him once or twice." Don't be afraid to watch after the Letter, though; as I've said, TommyKat was very minor, rather like how Disney seasons only hinted at two characters being in love. I skipped the Letter episode, as did my siblings, and none of them ever knew. Though we only watched storyline episodes or funny ones, so I maybe there was more.

Amen to the anti-swearing! This fandom just seems too kid-oriented for cusswords to sound right coming out of anyone's mouth. Besides, what does swearing actually add?

6/5/2011 #46
kikikimamama

As far as cussing goes, it depends on how it's used. I agree, constant cussing adds nothing but vulgarity to the story. Granted, I cuss alot in real life, but that's just me, I have a dirty mouth. Characters cussing in fiction should be done in a way that adds emphasis to the story, like pain or shock, etc.

I try not to bash anyone, but sometimes it's just so hard! :)

6/6/2011 #47
Michelle the Editor

I just realized something...

If the Letter had never happened, TommyKim would probably be less popular, and TommyKat would be more common. Why? Onscreen versus offscreen romance. Look at the other Kat. Commander Cruger's one true love was clearly stated to be Isinia in the show, but because Isinia was offscreen for most of the show, and Cruger and Kat Manx had a good working relationship, fans seemed to prefer that pairing. If the producers had just left Tommy's relationship with Kim alone, people might have started pairing him and Kat up simply because she was available and interested. But when they God Moded Kimberly out of the way, the fans bucked them off with a vengeance.

Just a thought.

Should swearing get its own thread?

6/30/2011 #48
MegaSilver

I tend to agree with most of your points; however...

1) "Kim wrote the letter because she was pregnant and didn't want Tommy to know."

8) "Kim was raped, kidnapped, or some other tragedy forced her to write the letter"

Cheryl Roberts has played on these premises and with great results, though in none of the cases was by any means it an ORDINARY pregnancy ("Til Death"), rape ("Someday") or tragedy ("All I Want For Christmas"). I won't give any spoilers (though I imagine many of us here have already read and enjoyed Ms. Robert's fics).

9/22/2011 #49
MegaSilver

She's attracted to Tommy from the beginning, and the evil spell takes away whatever noble impulses would prevent her from just getting rid of her rival. However, it's the realization that Kimberly's about to get injured that snaps her out of the spell. Her better side wins out even though she's got everything to gain from letting Kim lie on the floor overnight. Then, after she gets the pink power coin, does Kat make a move on Tommy? No. She doesn't lay a finger on him until Kimberly sends the Letter. That inner conflict wasn't well-developed on the show, but it's there.

I agree, although they did depict the conflict a little bit in "There's No Business Like Snow Business." Tommy shows up at the Juice Bar and at first he seems to think Kat is his date there before Heather arrives. Then as she walks outside with Tanya she says, "I'm not sure it was such a good idea." I really wish they'd have taken that a little bit further.

Oh, well... if they had, though, I wouldn't have been able to write a nice big fanfic about it the way I did!

9/22/2011 #50
MegaSilver

If the Letter had never happened, TommyKim would probably be less popular, and TommyKat would be more common. Why? Onscreen versus offscreen romance.

It's possible. On the other hand, Kimberly has always been more popular than Katherine if for no other reason than that she was on the show first, longer and during the period when it was far more popular. (I also, personally, find her to have been better developed and depicted. Not that I don't like Katherine: I find plenty to write about her, but not nearly as much as I find to write about Kimberly. But that could also be because the backstory I've invented for Kimberly's family is something I relate to more easily.) Many fans of a TV show are strongly resistant to change. Look how many people went nuts after "Felicity" chopped off her hair.

9/22/2011 #51
Michelle the Editor

Cheryl Roberts has played on these premises and with great results,

I haven't read the fics in question, but I don't doubt your word. The problem is that so many unqualified teenagers have written the same idea over and over and over and over...

And yes, they did show some of the conflict, otherwise one wouldn't really know it was there. They just didn't do enough. And hurrah, that happens to be one of my favorite reasons for fanfic--filling in stuff the canon could have done better!

9/22/2011 #52
Michelle the Editor

Kimberly has always been more popular than Katherine if for no other reason than that she was on the show first, longer and during the period when it was far more popular.

I also, personally, find her to have been better developed and depicted.

True--Linkara accurately compared Mighty Morphin with the original Star Trek series, and yes, the entire new set of Rangers were pretty weak characters. Tommy and Kimberly had definite chemistry, while Kat's relationship was actually more along the lines of the newer, implied relationships between Rangers. Onscreen, I prefer TommyKim, but on this site, I'm just sick to death of the whole thing.

9/22/2011 #53
MegaSilver

I haven't read the fics in question, but I don't doubt your word. The problem is that so many unqualified teenagers have written the same idea over and over and over and over...

And yes, they did show some of the conflict, otherwise one wouldn't really know it was there. They just didn't do enough. And hurrah, that happens to be one of my favorite reasons for fanfic--filling in stuff the canon could have done better!

Good point... you know, I wrote an article about Tommy/Kimberly fiction and I made almost exactly that same point, with reference to that same author:

"Yes, the Rangers were probably thoughtless enough to let Kimberly leave without a spare communicator. Still, if she were in some sort of danger, don't you think that one phone call and within twenty seconds she'd have five Technicolored warriors surrounding her with an impenetrable force field while they KICKED her assailant's A**? (I for one do.)

"Cheryl Roberts managed to pull off a sort of danger that Kimberly would have kept hidden in her story 'Til Death,' but only just barely. She might have saved herself by lampshade hanging (see TV Tropes). But Roberts is a talented, experienced writer: just because she can pull that sort of thing off doesn't mean you can. So be careful."

True--Linkara accurately compared Mighty Morphin with the original Star Trek series, and yes, the entire new set of Rangers were pretty weak characters. Tommy and Kimberly had definite chemistry, while Kat's relationship was actually more along the lines of the newer, implied relationships between Rangers. Onscreen, I prefer TommyKim, but on this site, I'm just sick to death of the whole thing.

Well, as I said on another thread, if you click "back" on fics with bad punctuation, you'll probably avoid about 95 percent of the bad Tommy-Kim tripe. I've managed to find a number of pretty good ones using this very efficient mental filter.

And on characters, Katherine had some pretty interesting angles shown... just that they were never developed. I think that the PRiS and PRZ teams came the closest to the original cast in terms of character believability and likability, but not too much. Rocky was even more underdeveloped than Katherine (in terms of potential), I think, and I never really did warm up to Tanya, Adam or Carlos (though I prefer Carlos to Adam).

But it wasn't just the characters that made the later seasons (in my opinion) unwatchable: it was the writing. Seriously. Power Rangers Time Force was supposed to be the revival of the franchise? I would never let my own kids watch that installment, if for no other reason than that it would corrupt their grammar and vocabulary. After growing up on such tripe, it's no wonder no one here can write a coherent sentence!

9/23/2011 #54
Michelle the Editor

I can usually get a pretty strong idea of how bad a piece of Tommy/Kim tripe it is from the summary--I tend to not read anything in that area because romance doesn't interest me as a main plot anyway.

"Yes, the Rangers were probably thoughtless enough to let Kimberly leave without a spare communicator. Still, if she were in some sort of danger, don't you think that one phone call and within twenty seconds she'd have five Technicolored warriors surrounding her with an impenetrable force field while they KICKED her assailant's A**?

Actually, who's to say the Rangers didn't leave their departing members a means of communication?

And I did use the phrase "under-developed," so yes, I know. Rocky and Aisha were probably the weakest characters from the original.

I've never heard that Time Force was intended as a revival. The lack of YouTube uploaders have prevented me from watching much of Time Force, but from what I saw the acting at least was a massive improvement over earlier stuff. I doubt one TV show--even one this long--could be blamed for bad English. Then again, I'm homeschooled, so I have a bias against the public school system. Also, from what I've watched of the newer series, the quality drops with the transfer to Disney, then slowly rises again until it's transferred to Saban, and down we go again.

9/23/2011 #55
MegaSilver

Actually, who's to say the Rangers didn't leave their departing members a means of communication?

Oh, they might well have. But I don't think it's unthinkable that they wouldn't have, either. I think you could go either way with this.

But if they did, it's anyone's guess as to how those communicators fared once the Power Chamber blew...

I've never heard that Time Force was intended as a revival. The lack of YouTube uploaders have prevented me from watching much of Time Force, but from what I saw the acting at least was a massive improvement over earlier stuff.

From what I saw, the actors weren't bad, whenever they got a chance to show off on-screen chemistry. But the dialogue was horribly written. No actor could have realistically delivered some of those lines. Poor Erin and Jason looked like Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen doing their best to jazz up that insufferable Episode II script.

I doubt one TV show--even one this long--could be blamed for bad English. Then again, I'm homeschooled, so I have a bias against the public school system.

I, too, was home schooled for five years. Most fruitful part of my K-12 education by FAR. That was when my mother bequeathed to me the real old school tradition of American English grammar she'd learned from real old school Catholic sisters. And I agree that there are many reasons why children might pick up terrible grammar, but the TV isn't surnamed the "idiot box" for nothing.

9/23/2011 #56
Michelle the Editor

And lo and behold, another story idea pops up that really should belong in more fanfics.

The funny thing about bad Tommy/Kim reunions is how each fic can be classified as a different type of Mary Sue. You've got the Victim Sues, where Kim's in an abusive relationship and must be saved; the classic Lone Ranger Sues, usually taking over King For A Day; and the plain old Pure Sues, where she's just an angel.

From what I saw, the actors weren't bad, whenever they got a chance to show off on-screen chemistry. But the dialogue was horribly written.

And I agree that there are many reasons why children might pick up terrible grammar, but the TV isn't surnamed the "idiot box" for nothing.

I'm going to have to call nostalgia on this one--the show with "You are...out of your mind!" as an Epic Hero Moment is better than "My mission is to bring you in. And I promise you I'm going to do it!" As far a script goes, I think Time Force was about on a level with Mighty Morphin. And as regards the "idiot box"--the sub-fandom with the most (bad)fics is Mighty Morphin by a mile. Thus if any of these shows should be blamed, it's the original.

And fantastic--I love both finding other homeschoolers and having my hypotheses validated!

9/24/2011 #57
Higuchimon

There's been a recent uprise in "Kat wrote the letter, that evil bitch, let's get Kim and Tommy back together, PRONTO!" Every single one badly written, out of character on everyone's part, and infuriating.

Though I'll give the latest one this much: it gave me an idea I find amusing, where Scorpina disguised herself as human during the Green Ranger arc and makes out with Tommy where Kim can see them. Sure, Kim and Tommy aren't dating yet and Tommy's been rude to her since shortly after his arrival, but CERTAINLY Tommy could've said he had a girlfriend already, right? ;)

10/2/2011 #58
MegaSilver

Though I'll give the latest one this much: it gave me an idea I find amusing, where Scorpina disguised herself as human during the Green Ranger arc and makes out with Tommy where Kim can see them. Sure, Kim and Tommy aren't dating yet and Tommy's been rude to her since shortly after his arrival, but CERTAINLY Tommy could've said he had a girlfriend already, right? ;)

Hey... I kind of like that. May I make a suggestion? In Zyuranger, Grifforzer and Lamie were married. In my own stories I tend to translate this to a Goldar/Scorpina marriage (not canon, but not explicitly contradicted by canon, either, so...). That could make for an amusing triangle and an alternate twist to the Green with Evil saga... and also, drawing further inspiration from Zyranger, Lamie did eventually develop a rivalry of sorts with Mei, which could flesh out a conflict with the Rangers and of course the Pink Ranger in particular.

Just some ideas, since I am personally a fan of fleshing out unknown elements in Power Rangers with Zyuranger inspiration... and a HUGE fan of stories that consecrate significant space to the strange mix of conflict and buffoonery in the villains' quarters: Rita, Zedd, Rito, Goldar, Divatox and Elgar are my favorites for these.

10/3/2011 #59
Higuchimon

Something else that irks me about most Kim/Tommy reunions: they tend to portray Kim as if her only purpose in life is to hang off Tommy's arm, whine about going to Florida (which is *always* a mistake), and basically be utterly useless until she's wrapped in Tommy's arms once again.

I loathe reunion fics in general, but that is just ridiculous in and of itself. I almost want to consider writing a Kim x Tommy fic where they actually act like themselves, so much as I can manage. Not a reunion fic, just the two of them being together.

11/15/2011 #60
« Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »
Forum Moderators: moonlite-n-roses
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member