Harry Potter Fanfiction Challenges
A forum made to provide challenges for HP fanfiction writers who need inspiration, a cure for writers block or just want a challenge! We're all really really nice, not to mention insane 0.0, so come on in and join the fun! :D
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
Ralinde

I've been trying to resist doing this, but I can't XD

Apart from Harry Potter, I'm also a huge fan of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. So in this challenge, I combine these two because I think that several of the book titles could work very well as story titles as well :)

Here's the deal:

I have a list of 35 Discworld(related) book titles. There are more of them, but I took out the ones that really only work in the world of Discworld. You pick a number from 1 to 35 and I will give you the title of the book (I've mixed them so there's no cheating if you know in what order they were written ;-)). The title you get has to be the title of your story. No double claiming of numbers until all of them are taken.

There are different levels of on which you can take this challenge:

Violet: You pick the character(s) you want to write about. I'll give you three prompts of the type you prefer (quote, song, word, phrase) and you need to use at least one. There is no deadline.

Blue: You pick the character(s) you want to write about. I'll give you three prompts of the type you prefer (quote, song, word, phrase) and you have to use all three of them. There is no deadline.

Green: I give you one of the characters you have to write about. You can pick the other. I'll give you three additional prompts, one of them a quote from the books (not necessarily the same book as the title you got) and you have to use all three of them. You have one month to complete your story.

Yellow: I give you the character(s) you have to write about. I'll give you three additional prompts, one of them a quote from the books (not necessarily the same book as the title you got) and you have to use all three of them. You have two weeks to complete your story.

Orange: I give you the character(s) you have to write about. I'll give you five random prompts, two of them a quote from the books (not necessarily the same book as the title you got) and you have to use all of them. You have a week to complete your story.

Red: I give you the character(s) you have to write about. I'll give you five random prompts and three quotes from the books (not necessarily the same book as the title you got) and you have to use all of them. You only have 48 hours to complete story.

I'll read and review every entry, except when it is (cous)incest or bestiality. You can write them if the title you get inspires you for it, but I won't be reviewing it. If that should be the case, I'll review one of the other Harry Potter stories you've written instead so you don't miss out on a review.

So when you're in, pick a number from 1 to 35 and a level. :) For yellow, orange and red, specify if you want a het, slash or femmeslash pairing and if you want same-gen or cross-gen.

Have fun!

Participants and titles:

#2: Moving Pictures - Ladyoftheknightley (green, due September 14 midnight UTC plus 1)

#13: Wee Free Men - MadHatter524 (violet, no deadline)

#19: Interesting Times - KatDucat (yellow, due August 28, 15h00 UCT plus 1)

#21 I Shall Wear Midnight - dayflow (violet, no deadline)

#26 Witches Abroad - Cheeky Slytherin Lass (yellow, due August 30 19h20 (UTC plus 1))

#29 The Light Fantastic - Earlyable (violet, no deadline)

8/14/2012 . Edited 8/16/2012 #1
still kat

Yes please, I love discworld!

Yellow level for me :)

8/14/2012 #2
Ralinde

Great! What number do you want?

8/14/2012 #3
still kat

Oh, silly me, I forgot about that.

I'll have...19

8/14/2012 #4
Ralinde

Do you want a het, slash or femmeslash pairing? Same-gen or cross-gen?

(I won't tell you tell the beforehand, otherwise that could influence your choice of the type of pairing ;))

8/14/2012 #5
still kat

I could do het or even femslash, not sure about slash, but nothing with Snape if that's alright.

8/14/2012 #6
Ralinde

Ok, here goes :)

Your title: Interesting Times

Your characters: Kingsley Shacklebolt and Madame Rosmerta

Your prompts:

- "You can't go around building a better world for people. Only people can build a better world for people. Otherwise it's just a cage." (From Witches Abroad)

- cooperate

- parental

It's due on August 28, 15.00u. (in UTC/GMT1) I don't know what timezone you're in, but you can check the calculations for the different timezones on Google. (If it helps, the forum is on UTC-8.)

Good luck!

8/14/2012 . Edited 8/14/2012 #7
dayflow

i heart discworld! violet and #21 please and thank you! :-)

8/14/2012 #8
Ralinde

Great that you're joining!

Your title is: I Shall Wear Midnight

What kind of prompts do you want? Quotes, words, phrases, song(lyrics)?

And I'm very curious what character(s) you'll be writing about! :)

8/14/2012 . Edited 8/14/2012 #9
dayflow

ooh, thanks for reminding me that i still need to read that book! it's currently on the shelf because i forgot about it. :-P

as for prompts... how about 1 quote, 1 word, 1 song? i'm not sure what character i'll write about yet; maybe the prompts will help me out w/ that.

fyi, i'm a drabble writer; i usually don't write more than 500 words. will that be okay?

8/14/2012 #10
MadHatter524

DISCWORLD!!!!!! Sorry for the overexcitement, but FINALLY, other people who read them! I've only read 11 of the books, though - working on Pyramids right now. I'll take title number 13 and the violet level - one quote prompt, one word prompt, and one song title prompt, please. I might switch to blue to challenge myself - not sure yet.

8/14/2012 #11
Ralinde

@Dayflow: sure, 500 words is fine.

Your prompts:

- "I have opinions of my own - strong opinions - but I don't always agree with them." - George W. Bush

- abundant

- Drops of Jupiter (from the band Train)

Just pick one you like :)

@MadHatter524: Discworld is just really really awesome! #13 is Wee Free Men

Your prompts are:

- "I look to the future because that where I'm going to spend the rest of my life." - George Burns

- judiciary

- World on a Plate (from the Dutch band Racoon (if you haven't heard from them, check them out on YouTube, they are really cool!))

You could do Blue with these prompts I think, but it's up to you :)

8/14/2012 #12
ladyoftheknightley

Oh my gosh, I LOVE Discworld/Terry Prachett in general, so I just have to sign up! May I please go for the 'green' level? :)

Eta: I'm stupid and forgot to pick a number. Can I try #2?

8/14/2012 . Edited 8/14/2012 #13
Ralinde

Yay, another taker! :)

Of course you can. #2 is Moving Pictures (I'm sure you can make that work in a HP setting :-))

You have to write about Pius Thicknesse (don't you just love randomness? XD) and you can choose for yourself who you want to pair him with.

Your prompts:

- "Luck is my middle name. Mind you, my first name is Bad." (from Interesting Times)

- spring cleaning

- Victime de ma victoire (from the soundtrack of Mozart, l'Opéra rock) It's French, but you can also use the translation: Victim of my victory

Duetime: September 14 midnight (UTC plus 1)

8/14/2012 . Edited 8/14/2012 #14
earlyable

I'll take number 29 and I'll choose violet.

8/14/2012 #15
Ralinde

Thanks for joining!

#29 is The Light Fantastic

What type of prompts do you want?

8/15/2012 #16
earlyable

I'll take word prompts, please.

8/15/2012 #17
Cheeky Slytherin Lass
Yellow, 26, femmslash pairing (that doesn't involve Ginny or Hermione), pretty please.
8/15/2012 #18
Ralinde

@earlyable: your prompts are electricity, waiting and compulsive

@Cheeky Slytherin Lass: Yay, another yellow taker :)

And it's really funny that you should pick #26 to go with your femmeslash pairing since #26 is Witches Abroad. XD

Your pairing is Audrey/Andromeda, or if you don't like cross-gen it's Audrey/Angelina.

Your prompts are:

- "A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost." (From: The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents)

- November Rain (by Guns 'n Roses)

- Irish

Edit: your deadline is August 30, 19h20 (UTC plus 1)

8/16/2012 . Edited 8/16/2012 #19
Cheeky Slytherin Lass
Perfect! And Audrey/Andromeda sounds amazing.
8/16/2012 #20
ladyoftheknightley

That sounds great! I think I'm going to pair him with Percy, but not in a romantic way if that's okay :)

8/18/2012 #21
Ralinde

@Cheeky Slytherin Lass: Great! I'm looking forward to read it!

@ladyoftheknoghtley: That's fine. It sounds interesting, so I'd love to see what you make of it!

8/20/2012 #22
still kat

Really sorry about this Ralinde, but lately I've been terribly distracted whenever I turn on a computer, so the deadline is obviously not going to be met. I am not, however, dropping out.

btw, this isn't about Discworld, but I started reading Strata today! I need to get back to reading more books.

8/29/2012 #23
Ralinde

I was just thinking about it yesterday at work, that the deadline had already passed...

I could give you an extension until September 14th, would that help?

Strata is still Terry Pratchett and Terry Pratchett is cool :)

8/29/2012 #24
Ralinde

How are you all doing on this challenge?

@KatDuCat and Cheeky Slytherin Lass: your deadline has already expired. Will you be able to work with an extended deadline of September 14 (in two days) or do you need until the 21st?

@Ladyoftheknightley: is September 14 still doable for you? Or do you (also) want an extension till the 21st?

@Madhatter524, dayflow and earlyable: how are your stories coming along?

I'm really looking forward to all of your entries! :D

9/12/2012 #25
ladyoftheknightley

If it's not too much trouble, would I be able to have that extension? I've got an unexpectedly busy few days and I probably won't be able to finish in time, but I should have it done by the 21st :)

9/13/2012 #26
MadHatter524
I have a great idea for the plot, I just need to find a good way to use the prompts.
9/13/2012 #27
still kat

Sorry about these extensions Ralinde, but could I have 'till the 21st? For the last few days I've been suffering from writers block/lack of motivation. I do, however, have a plot incorporating all the necessary elements in mind. Thank you!

9/15/2012 #28
yellow 14

Discworld challenge!?! Where have you been!?! Violet for me please

9/16/2012 #29
MJ Valentines

Blue please, #8 and a song, a quote and a phrase :D

9/16/2012 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: Megsy42 Fire The Canon, dimitrisgirl18, Gamma Orionis, autumn midnights, silver-nightstorm, AlwaysPadfoot, Schermionie, thegirlofcrazy
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member