Harry Potter Fanfiction Challenges
A forum made to provide challenges for HP fanfiction writers who need inspiration, a cure for writers block or just want a challenge! We're all really really nice, not to mention insane 0.0, so come on in and join the fun! :D
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 .. Last Next »
glowing neon

Here is Memento Vivere (Jenna) and Budapest All Over Again (Sylvia) with an idea hatched in the Random Chatter thread.

Very rarely are uncommon pairings recognised. There are Dramione and Drarry fics out there with thousands of reviews while many other pairings struggle to reach 10 reviews.

So here is our attempt to showcase the best of uncommon pairings!

note; we have defined 'uncommon' as less than 5000 fics in the archive, of all ratings. PLEASE ADD THE NUMBER OF FICS IN THE FANFICTION.NET ARCHIVE, including M rated fics.

THIS IS HOW IT WORKS:

1. YOU nominate using the form below. There are many categories, so get nominating! You can't nominate yourself or your work. Work must be written in 2012, fit the criteria of its category, and not be a crossover.
  2. We put up a poll on one of our profiles, but if there are two full categories we will put up both at once. Vote for yourself or for someone else, it's up to you.
  3. After a week we'll take down the poll and announce the winner.
  4. There are five spots in each category, but more may be open on demand. The maximum limit is ten.

FORM:

Category:

Number of fics in the archive (including M. rated):

Pairing:

Fic/Link:

Reason:

12/14/2012 . Edited 12/14/2012 #1
whirlwinds of watercolours

Categories:

Best Founder Era Drabble:

1. OPEN
  2. OPEN
  3. OPEN
  4. OPEN
  5. OPEN

Best Founder Era Oneshot:

1. Rage by whirlwinds of watercolours
  2. just fade away by TamariChan
  3. In Death by Gamma Orionis
  4. OPEN
  5. OPEN

Best Founder Era Free-Verse:

1. OPEN
  2. OPEN
  3. OPEN
  4. OPEN
  5. OPEN

Best Riddle Era Drabble:

1. OPEN
  2. OPEN
  3. OPEN
  4. OPEN
  5. OPEN

Best Riddle Era Oneshot:

1. Red by whirlwinds of watercolours
  2. OPEN
  3. OPEN
  4. OPEN
  5. OPEN

Best Riddle Era Free-Verse:

1. OPEN
  2. OPEN
  3. OPEN
  4. OPEN
  5. OPEN

Best Marauder Era Drabble:

1. OPEN
  2. OPEN
  3. OPEN
  4. OPEN
  5. OPEN

Best Marauder Era Oneshot:

1. Like Accidental Magic by HedwigBlack
  2. Or, How Lockhart Learned to Love the Tentacle by TuesdayNovember
  3. A Spider on Your Hat by Emi.Kabehito
  4. Unforgivable by WeasleySeeker
  5. What We Shouldn't Do by Gamma Orionis
  6. Bounce by Lady Phoenix Fire Rose
  7. Shards of Sanity by whirlwinds of watercolours
  8. Food, Corsets and Swordplay by Cookies-and-Ink
  9. we will be the last ones standing by Morghen
  10. eyes i dare not meet in dreams by TamariChan

Best Marauder Era Free-Verse:

1. OPEN
  2. OPEN
  3. OPEN
  4. OPEN
  5. OPEN

Best Trio Era Drabble:

1. Impossibilities by Exceeds Expectations
  2. poison by a beautiful catastrophe
  3. I'm Back by AlwaysPadfoot
  4. Watching Her by owluvr
  5. OPEN

Best Trio Era Oneshot [CLOSED]:

1. War Photographer: Memento Mori by slightlysmall
  2. i'd run away by angels are watching over you
  3. Love Takes No Side by Fire The Canon
  4. Brief But Beautiful by Exceeds Expectations
  5. Snow Day by HedwigBlack
  6. Someday by fabricated fantasies
  7. my lies are silver, your lies are gold by TamariChan
  8. Keeping the Stars Apart by our dancing days
  9. Dealing With Attraction by MissingMommy
  10. Dandelion Seeds by Sara Darkotter

Best Trio Era Free-Verse:

1. OPEN
  2. OPEN
  3. OPEN
  4. OPEN
  5. OPEN

Best NextGen Drabble:

1. Beautiful Complexity, Chapter 115 by autumn midnights
  2. Beautiful Complexity by autumn midnights
  3. Magic by Madam Emily Longbottom
  4. Haunted Little Girl by Gamma Orionis
  5. Hummingbirds by HedwigBlack
  6. speculum domum by Violet Scarlet Lily

Best NextGen Oneshot:

1. Last Kiss by slightlysmall
  2. one mistake and zero happy endings by Exceeds Expectations
  3. Of Betting and Trolls by a beautiful catastrophe
  4. Forever Mine by Forever Siriusly Sirius
  5. Of Stars and Sibling Banter by whirlwinds of watercolours
  6. Marionette by whirlwinds of watercolours

Best NextGen Free-Verse:

1. Supernova by ninjacatchester
  2. OPEN
  3. OPEN
  4. OPEN
  5. OPEN
12/14/2012 . Edited 2/8/2013 #2
glowing neon

Category: Best Marauders One-Shot

Title/Link: Like Accidental Magic

Reason: Because I don't ship things easily - I have to be convinced. I had never even considered Rosmerta/Kingsley before, and this was just... ugh. HedwigBlack is perfect.

Category: Best Marauders One-Shot

Title/Link: Or, How Lockhart Learned to Love the Tentacle

Reason: I HAVE NO WORDS. Lockhart... and the Giant Squid. Err... she has a lovely way with words. Also. Gilderoy/Squid. is this a good enough reason? I should probably have more.

Very few people can pull off this: [Sex was what was going on. Squidsex. Hot, steamy, cephalopod-on-old-man (and some time later – due to how Lockhart's admittedly beautiful brain was broken and he was unable to concentrate on anything but the horrific scene before him – old-man-on-cephalopod) sex.]

12/14/2012 #3
Forever Siriusly Sirius

WATCH THIS POST: I'll edit more in soon.

Category: Best founder era one

Fic/Link: Rage by Memento Vivere

Reason: Err because it's brilliant? (can you make reasons optinional? Otherwose all my reasons will be the same, becaus eits brilliant.) Ok. So I read this a while ago, but I still remeber it, It wa sthe fist founder er fic i ever read and I totally fell in love with it. I love the pairing, and i loce that the Baron killed Helena and I nearly cried because Rowena never got to see her daughter again for the last time as Rowena was dying and Helena was dead. It was beautifully written and very bittersweet. Overall its a brilliant read,

12/14/2012 . Edited 12/14/2012 #4
glowing neon

We'd prefer if you attempted to have a sentence or two minimum about it... I should probably make mine longer :p

12/14/2012 . Edited 12/14/2012 #5
Forever Siriusly Sirius

Better?

12/14/2012 #6
glowing neon

Definitely! Thank you for your submissions.

12/14/2012 #7
Forever Siriusly Sirius

Category: Best Next Gen Drabble

Title/Link: Beautiful Complexity, Chapter 115, MollyII/Teddy by Autumn Midnights

Reason: This was a unique pairing, I have never seen kt done before and even though it was unrequited (amolly loves teddy, he doesnt love her) it was till brilliant. A beautiful, short but bittersweet drabble :)

Category: Best Trip Era one shot

Title/Link: War Photographer: Memento Mori by SlightlySmall

Reason: Dennis Creevy doesn't get enough love. Tehres not even 200/600k fics written for him. This fic was creative, based off a poem called 'war photographer' which I have read/studied in drama and ai lvoed it. It was tragedy, Dennis saw his brother die, but it was so beaitiful. I know i cry alot while reading fics but this did bring tears to my eyes.

Category: Best Next Gen One shot

Title/Link: Last Kiss by SlightlySmall

Reason: I adore MollyII/Lysander, and I love how it started off so happy, we saw them get together amd all their good times, but it quickly turned sad as we watched their relationship disintergrate into nothing. It was amazing,

And thats it for tongiht :) do you PM the nominiees, telling them they have been nominated? You should :)

12/14/2012 #8

Your nominations have been accepted!

Sylvia does the PM-ing while I do the list-updating. :D

12/14/2012 #9
Forever Siriusly Sirius

Ahh :) I was going to nominate your blaise/ginny, but 1) its incomplete, and 2) there's no multi chapter category!

12/14/2012 . Edited 12/14/2012 #10

Well, it wouldn't be fair for judging because there's no way we can read 10 500k ones in a week, so we decided against it. :)

12/14/2012 #11
WeasleySeeker

Category: Best Trio Era Oneshot

Title/Link: i'd run away by angels are watching over you

Reason: It's super-long and it takes Dennis, a pretty minor character (who I didn't really think much about beforehand), and completely fleshes him out. It gives a great picture of Dennis's life before and after the war and how he was affected by Colin's death. Contains Dennis/Gabrielle and Dennis/Lucy.

12/14/2012 #12

Thanks for nominating! :)

12/14/2012 #13
HedwigBlack

First of all, Sylvia (it is Sylvia right? ... haha) I lay no claim to perfection. But thanks :D Kingsmerta rules!

Second of all, I might add more later but I immediately know I want to nominate this one...

Category: Best Founder Era Oneshot

Fic/Link: just fade away by TamariChan

Reason: It's Helena/Baron which only has 59 fics in the entire fandom which is just...wrong. And she wrote this so beautifully! The anggssstttt. This fic pretty much captures the tragedy of this pairing and I squealed with happiness when I read it. Plus, it's written for me....;)

12/14/2012 #14
glowing neon

Thanks for all your submissions guys! All those authors have been alerted as to their nominations c:

12/14/2012 #15
The Crownless Queen

This really is a good idea :p I really like underated pairings :p

Category: Best Marauder Era One-Shot

Fic/Link: - A Spider on Your Hat by Emi.Kabehito

Reason: It's a Amelia/Sirius before the whole Fidelius thing and I found it quite interesting. I actually find this couple cute and quite interesting. Well, it's not the happiest ending but... I liked it. (there's only five of those on fanfiction.net :p)

12/14/2012 #16
slightlysmall

Subscribing to this so I don't lose it. There are a few I want to nominate, but I have to narrow some down first. :)

Also, Liza - thank you so much! Your nominations make me supremely happy. :D

12/14/2012 . Edited 12/14/2012 #17
TamariChan

Thanks so much, HedwigBlack!

--

Category: Best Next-Gen Oneshot

Fic/Link: one mistake and zero happy endings

Reason: This is cross-gen, but it's set in the next-gen era. Is that okay? Anyway, this is a beautiful, dramatic, amazing fic written for me by Exceeds Expectations! It's also wonderful writing and it's Lucy Weasley/Zacharias Smith, my OTP.

--

Category: Best Next-Gen Oneshot

Fic/Link: skies fall down

Reason: I have never read anything like this, and I probably won't again, unless it's by this author. There's madness and pain and release in this, and love and family and anguish, and it takes my breath away. The characters are striking and the writing is beautiful. So gorgeous. It's James II-centric, with Albus II/Lily II included.

12/14/2012 #18
Lady Phoenix Fire Rose

Category: Best Trio Era Oneshot

Fic/Link: Love Takes No Side by Fire The Canon

Reason: This was just such a fun story to read, and really surprising once you've read. You wouldn't think that the pairing Katie/Sanquini would work so well, but here it does. I think that she did a truly excellent job with it.

12/14/2012 #19
GoldenSteel

Category: Trio Era Free-verse

Fic: Harry Potter and the World Beneath by Tellemicus Sundance

Reason: There's almost no romance until late in the story, but Harry is very badass. Tellemicus did a great job writing Harry as a caveman, especially with the communication barrier. Also, he has a pet dinosaur. Harry/Fleur pairing.

12/14/2012 #20
owluvr

Category:Best Trio Era Drabble

Fic/Link: Impossibilities

Reason:Because Paula writes their relationship beautifully, in a way I never thought of before. She always know exactly what to say, and this made me think of Rita/Hermione as a possible couple which to me is unlikely, as I am a huge canon person.

Category: Best Trio Era One-shot

Fic/Link:Brief But Beautiful

Reason: Pretty much the same as above. Paula writes their relationship realistically and beautifully, and she makes it seem so real, you know? And it's just perfect, and as usual, I have absolutely no words that can adequately describe it.

I have a suggestion. You should have a best Uncommon Pairings Author.

12/14/2012 #21
glowing neon

@GoldenSteel - freeverses are poems, like this and this.

@Everyone Else - thank you so much for your nominations!

12/14/2012 . Edited 12/14/2012 #22
Four Leafed Clove

Fic/Link: Beautiful Complexity (Chapter 16)

Reason: It is wonderfully well - written with no SPaG mistakes that are obvious. It gives a nice, short insight into the pairing and shows depth.

Fic/Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8344490/5/Magic Magic

Reason: It is an odd pairing and shows not just love, but friendship as well. It shows that they are strong and don't need to bribe each other. It is fluffy and rather nice :D

Catergory: Best Next Gen Drabble (I really like reading them :D)

Fic/Link: Haunted Little Girl Chapter 1

Reason: It is dark, but good, and you can kind of relate to being insulted. And it shows a great insight into Lily's mind and is perfectly well written :D

12/14/2012 . Edited 12/14/2012 #23
Ralinde

Subscribing to this, so I don't have to go searching the forum for it when I want to nominate later this weekend.

12/14/2012 #24

@Everyone: The list has been updated, all nominations were accepted except for GoldenSteel's because it was nominated for a non-existent category (multichapter).

On another note, I'll really appreciated it if you can add the author's name and hyperlink it as well to make it easier for me to update the list. :) Thank you!

12/14/2012 #25
Forever Siriusly Sirius

Hey, can we enter crack!ships? Like the Whomping Willow/Angela the car (From book 2)?

It would, I suppose be trio era drabbley thing... :)

I'll put a link anyway

Category:Best trio era drabble

Number of fics in the archive (including M. rated): 1

Pairing: Whomping Willow/Mr Weasleys car from book 2

Fic/Link: I'm Back, by AlwaysPadfoot

Reason: It was short, hilariously funny and genius. Siriusly. And also full of innuendos. It's brilliant it really really really is.

12/15/2012 . Edited 12/16/2012 #26
glowing neon

HELL YEAH CRACKSHIPS.

*cough* Jenna'll add it when she's next here c:

12/15/2012 #27
slightlysmall

I'm back to nominate!

Category: Best Trio Era One-Shot

Number of fics in the archive: 48

Pairing: Charlie/Katie

Fic/Link: Snow Day by HedwigBlack

Reason: It's wonderfully well written, and all of her stories combine a beautiful back story for Katie especially and they weave together to create a character with a ton of depth. Their relationship is beautiful - especially in the wonderfully fluffy piece I'm nominating - and Charlie is awesome.

Category: Best Marauders One-Shot (I guess? Is that the best place to put a Molly/Arthur story that takes place shortly after the books end? I think so...)

Number of Fics: 570

Pairing: Molly/Arthur

Fic/Link: Unforgivable by WeasleySeeker

Reason: This is tremendously sad. And Molly/Arthur is tremendously underrated as a pairing. The post-war setting makes the relationship between Molly and Arthur so bittersweet. They are both in character, as are the others that make cameos in the one-shot. It's just a lovely look at my favorite Marauders-era couple.

12/15/2012 . Edited 12/15/2012 #28
glowing neon

D: WHAT? Are there only 570 Molly/Arthur stories? THIS IS A TRAVESTY.

12/15/2012 #29
Exceeds Expectations
Aly and Olivia: thank you so much! *blushes* (Also subscribing to this so that I can nominate later!)
12/15/2012 #30
Page 1 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Megsy42 Fire The Canon, dimitrisgirl18, Gamma Orionis, autumn midnights, silver-nightstorm, AlwaysPadfoot, Schermionie, thegirlofcrazy
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member