Band, Band, Band
I love Band! Marching Band, Concert band, Jazz band, pep Band! Just any type of band! Come here to talk about evry thing band!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
leethefatwolf

So, I know that many bands have old an ancient traditions. I wanna know about some of yours! For example. Every year on our first away game, the seniors buy tubs of icing, of any flavor, pass around spoons and the tubs. Help yourself to them! It's always an amazing thing, as long as no one double dips! We also have a certain spot where we sit at during certain compitions. Ohh, and oshka, the best game in the world, is played by band geeks all over! Band camp, after long practices, all-region, etc, etc.

1/17/2010 #1
cerseilannisters

Well every year we do the Dew! Meaning we take Dew on our bus with us and before or after the show our DM will yell "DETAIL CRACK DEW!" and everyone is suppose to crack their dews open at the same time.

Also all our freshman have nicknames and only seniors can name them. For instance when I was a frosh I got the name Ninja from Gravy a sax player. This year since I am a senior I nickname a claranet Megatron because her name is Megan. And we dont like the name Megan so all of our Megans are not called by their real name only their nickname :)

2/8/2010 #2
White Tiger Friend

On of our traditions is for the drum majors to lick our hats before every competition or every time we march for a half time show. xD

10/12/2010 #3
Xela White

Well at my school one of our traditions in the concert band is to go to Fort Williams at the end of the year. Well also before we march in any of the parades we eat Dunkin Donuts and listen to music. When we go for District II auditions, we always have a mini party on the bus. Last year we made a new tradition. When ever we are talking about how good someone is.. we always reference this one kid who went to the Grammys last year and play in the band... so Mr. P. would be like "Nick your so good at raising your pitch and always being in tune........ but not as good as Dom."... .... and in the jazz band.. when we have to do a 12 bar blues my friends and I do a dance to count the 1, 4, and 5 blues scale... and after a solo we all start swaying back and forth. Good time in the Deering Band 3

12/14/2010 #4
impalasandpocketwatches

great tradition! our marching band traditions are one: all of the middle school kids buy a bag of skittles at the away games and save them for the bus ride home. them we have a skittle fight on the bus! and two) we have third quarter off so the entire band gets together and randomly breaks out singing Dont Stop Believin by Journey xD

2/11/2011 #5
Artemisia032495

Every year at band camp the Seniors bring out a lot (and i mean a lot) of pudding for the entire band to eat. Then, with the pudding cups, the Seniors construct a tower, put it on a tray and bring it to a man we call "the Pudding man". It comes with a story but I'll have one of the people that lived through it to tell me the story so that it will be right because the last time I heard the story was about two years ago so...yeah.

Another time at band camp, we have band competitions. Which includes the tradition scream competition, animal-impersonation competition, the wedding proposal competition, the dance competition, the draw-a-counselor competition, and the foot race competition. Need any explanation on those, ask and you shall receive.

4/10/2011 #6
impalasandpocketwatches

the wedding proposal sounds like its hilarious xD i can just imagine some of the kids in our band proposing to one another. we wouldnt be able to keep straight faces.

4/16/2011 #7
Artemisia032495

The kids propose to the teachers. So that's lots of fun and no one can keep a striaght face.

Also it is a tradition in my band to claim a "NER". My friend Allison was first female NER. The NER is chosen from new or relatively new band members, they must be active and hyper. Also some what annoying. (No offense Allie or past NERs...who happen to be some of my friends) Then, after they are chosen, all the sections in the band gather with their pillows and play a game of duck-duck-goose. When some one calls out NER you start to hit the NER with your pillow. But not too hard.

Also! It is every Thursday of Band Camp that we have an initiation ceremony. The ceremony says you must roll down a hill after the senior games (which deals with water and getting everyone wet), to be an offical band member! And then there is human bowling. My band is full of traditions.

Newer tradition: It is every practice for the fair show that one of the male drummers wear a grade school uniform skirt from the beginning to the end of practice. (My school has uniforms...icky.)

7/20/2011 #8
impalasandpocketwatches

That's awesome. And don't worry, my school has uniforms too, but no one ever wears them xD

It's not really a band tradition, more like a drumline tradition, but before every game, when we line up to go out and do our show, whoever is at the back of the line will tap the person in front of them's harness and we'll go down the line like that. Then we all put our sticks out and the person at the back runs to the front while clicking all our right sticks and runs back to his/her spot while clicking our left stick. Once they're back in place, they yell "When I say Hillshire, you say Farm! Hillshire!", and then drumline says "Farm!", and then the entire band says "Go Meat!". It's a newer tradition, but by far our favorite.

Sadly, we don't have any initiation ceremonies.

8/10/2012 #9
impalasandpocketwatches

That's awesome. And don't worry, my school has uniforms too, but no one ever wears them xD

It's not really a band tradition, more like a drumline tradition, but before every game, when we line up to go out and do our show, whoever is at the back of the line will tap the person in front of them's harness and we'll go down the line like that. Then we all put our sticks out and the person at the back runs to the front while clicking all our right sticks and runs back to his/her spot while clicking our left stick. Once they're back in place, they yell "When I say Hillshire, you say Farm! Hillshire!", and then drumline says "Farm!", and then the entire band says "Go Meat!". It's a newer tradition, but by far our favorite.

Sadly, we don't have any initiation ceremonies.

8/10/2012 #10
VioletAssassin
Section chants. My favorite tradition. And messing with the freshies about the pool on the roof. And, on the last Thursday, we get out an hour early, so that people who had done well that day can smash the band officers with a plate full of whipped cream. And then a fire truck comes and turns on the hose. The drumline always drags in the assistant band director.
10/22/2014 #11
Forum Moderators: cerseilannisters
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member