The Marvel Universe
I will not use this forum to 'sell' my own stories, but feel free to use it for that yourselves, if you wish. Here, I will try to provide outlets for topics of discussion that seem to be overlooked.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »
Ultimate Hybrid

A place to discuss all those heroes and villains who annoy you so much. Or we could rave about how terrible they are, you choose.

11/16/2009 #1
Clownwithachainsaw

One of my least favorite villains is Magneto. No offence or anything to Magneto lovers, but there are just too many Magnetos to choose from. There's the regal Magneto, the genocidal maniac Magneto, the anti-hero Magneto, the sympathetic villain Magneto, the terrorist Magneto, the fatherly Magneto, Magneto the messiah... frankly it's annoying to have everybody write Magneto so differently. Just who is the real Magneto anyways? Maybe he has multiple personality disorder?

Of course this is just my opinion and I recognise that whoever Magneto is he's one of the Marvel Universe's greatest threats... He's just so annoying the way he never seems to decide who he is. (Xorn? depowered mutant? king of Genosha? schoolteacher?)

12/31/2009 #2
Ultimate Hybrid

You do make some pretty good points there, Clownwithachainsaw. Perhaps he does have a multiple personality disorder. My least favorite villain has to be...Well I can't really decide.

But my least favorite hero is Iron Man. That arrogant little powerless billionaire. It's like he's going through his mid-life crisis, but instead of buying a sports car (yes, I'm aware he has several) he chose to fight crime in an armored suit. Talk about odd. Plus he's a recovering alcoholic at that!

12/31/2009 #3
Clownwithachainsaw

I hear that.

I know a lot of people rag on Iron-man for his recent actions in Civil War, but really I can't remember Iron-man ever showing a moment of real heroism. Except in the movie. Movie Iron-man was heroic. But not in the comics.

1/1/2010 #4
Ultimate Hybrid

Yeah, the movie made him pretty cool, but in the comics he was never like that. Robert Downey Jr., did a good job making us believe he was heroic. Too bad it wasn't real! I can't explain why I dislike Iron Man, I just do! My friend, on the other hand, likes him because he's Marvel's Batman, except without all the dark brooding Bruce has.

1/1/2010 #5
Clownwithachainsaw

Wow. That is wrong. A) Batman's primary skillset is his detective work, his martial arts, and his ability to survive anything. Iron-man has none of those skillsets. He let's his suit do the work for him. B) Batman has a motivation to fight criminals. He lost people very dear to him, and he felt responsible because he didn't do anything. Almost like film Iron-man, where he lost Ynsen and felt responsible because they were his weapons bombing the innocents. But in the comics he buil the armor out of self-defence, and he stuck to it like a thrill-seeking junkie. C) Batman works in the shadows, using fear to spread his message: crime doesn't pay. Everybody knows Iron-man's secret identity way before anybody elses, and his message is basically: I'm smarter than you. D) Batman is effective. He has taken on gods. He has saved the world many, many times. The one time Iron-man tried to make a big impact it failled royally (civil war).

And Batman has a cooler uniform.

Sorry if I rant, I just think that if anybody is Marvel's Batman it's... well... on second thought Marvel doesn't have a Batman. But what would come closest would be Daredevil.

1/1/2010 #6
Ultimate Hybrid

I agree on all your points!

Nobody is Marvel Batman! Bruce is the goddamn Batman! Don't argue with him!

1) Matt Murdock is a lawyer. 2) He actually has some sort of super power (Kinda). 3) Batman is the world's greatest detective! Hooray!

1/4/2010 #7
Clownwithachainsaw

You know who else is a really bad hero? The Sentry.

First, Mrvel makes a blatant Superman parody even thaough a) They already had Scott Summers, and as demonstrated in Ultimate Marvel if they removed his brain-damage and let him be in control of his powers he would probably end up channeling the solar energy from his eye-blasts into other powers and they'd get a Superman with some character. And b) Superman was never a good hero. He was only an inspiration. He had powers like flying, indestructibility, super-strength, X-ray vision. The only reason he was so popular was because he was the ultimate figure of escapism.

Now Sentry, who'd want to escape into him? The man has a host of mental disorders, the biggest one being a mental thingy from Matermind that makes everybody (including himself) forget who he is. Just because he lacked status, and they needed to give it to him. By giving him enormous mental issues. Also, they let this guy into the Avenger's? Nobody in their right mind would let him into the Avengers. Norman Osborn of course. Sentry is one of two people on the Avengers who switched team to be part of the Dark Avengers. The other one was a god of war so that makes sense.

An the guy's H.Q. is on top of a tower in the middle of New York. It is yet to be explained how somebody like Sentry could have built it, or why he put it in the middle of a highly populated area.

1/5/2010 #8
Ultimate Hybrid

I don't know much about the Sentry, except for the fact that he has forgotten who he is (along with the world) on several occasions. He also somehow created 'Void' which was like an evil version of himself. Then things got all confusing for me so I gave up. He didn't sound very interesting to me.

1/5/2010 #9
Kairan1979

You should have seen him as Osborn's lapdog in Dark Avengers. This is not a superhero, he is a joke.

1/23/2010 #10
Clownwithachainsaw

When Tony Stark chose him to be a member of the Avengers in the Ultron Initiative and did a speech along the lines of; 'He is the next big hero in the making, and I want to see him along the right path.' I nearly choked in a mixture of 'I hope he's joking' and 'oh no, he's not joking'.

1/23/2010 #11
Ultimate Hybrid

Lol, this is why I don't read about him. He's too confusing.

You know who's a really boring villain? The Tinkerer. His plans are so boring! 'World Domination' I mean come on! Where's the originality in that?! Doc Ock is fine, with his four arms and whatnot, but the Tinkerer has nothing. Nada. Zilch. Well, nothing besides his brain anyways. And tanks and stuff along those lines.

1/23/2010 #12
Clownwithachainsaw

I really do not like Dr. Strange.

He is baiscally a Dues ex Machina for the rest of the heroes. He'll do all sorts of favors for them, but only so long as they develope the plot. If it's something really important, he'll cop out by saying it'll break some sort of universal law or something. He's not a hero. He's a plot device. I hope he dies soon an we et an interesting sorcerer supreme who could actually have his own graphic novel series that isn't boring.

1/25/2010 #13
Ultimate Hybrid

Dr. Strange doesn't really annoy me that much. He's just a boring man who also happens to be the Sorceror Supreme. I like his little helper guy, Wong. Wong! I like his name. It sounds funny. Oh, and A-Bomb. What would be there result if you yelled "Hey look out, it's A-Bomb!" I think it'd be the same response to shouting out that there's a nuke coming and everyone needs to run away as fast as they can: Panic! Sorry, that was kind of random...

I don't like Mandarin. He sounds like an orange or a monkey. That's about all my reasoning on that guy! :) Oh, I forgot about his "magical" alien rings of power. Those things freak me out. Now I'm done.

1/27/2010 #14
Kairan1979

Oh, and A-Bomb. What would be there result if you yelled "Hey look out, it's A-Bomb!" I think it'd be the same response to shouting out that there's a nuke coming and everyone needs to run away as fast as they can: Panic! Sorry, that was kind of random...

The alternative is to call Rick Jones Abomination. And he didn't deserve it at all.

1/28/2010 #15
Ultimate Hybrid

lol I've been quoted!

No he doesn't. Rick Jones, I mean. I'm not talking about myself in the third person and switched genders.

1/28/2010 #16
Clownwithachainsaw

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of A-bomb. I mean, seriously Rick Jone's whole shtick was that he was a normal best friend for the Hulk. Emphasis on normal. The whole reason Banner became the Hulk in the first place was to save Rick from being mutated by the Gamma bomb. And now he gets mutated anyway?

I think they're trying too hard for new villains with the new Hulk series. First there was the Red hulk, which is good. But now they're also making a red She-hulk and... Haven't the military been trying for years to make a Hulk they can control?! And now apperantly, they can't control whoever it is.

Really, the Hulk doesn't need villains like these. Hulk started out as a man who was on the run from the government who wanted to use Hulk as a weapon. The movie got that. The movie played that out fantastically. That is a genuinely interesting plot, because Banner may be good at hiding but he just isn't infallible. But now apperantly, the only thing people want to do is kill him which just spoils the whole thing because nobody can kill the Hulk. Boring.

1/31/2010 #17
Kairan1979

I mean, seriously Rick Jone's whole shtick was that he was a normal best friend for the Hulk. Emphasis on normal. The whole reason Banner became the Hulk in the first place was to save Rick from being mutated by the Gamma bomb. And now he gets mutated anyway?

Since Bruce is not a Hulk anymore, it makes sense for Rick to be gamma-powered.

Haven't the military been trying for years to make a Hulk they can control?! And now apperantly, they can't control whoever it is.

It's the same thing as Sentinels. Sentinels are ALWAYS getting out of control. Doesn't stop the government from using them.

1/31/2010 #18
Clownwithachainsaw

Since Bruce is not a Hulk anymore, it makes sense for Rick to be gamma-powered.

Um... no. No it does not. Maybe it would if say... Banner had to be a mentor figure for Rick, teaching him how to be on the run and how to control himself as A-bomb. But even then, Banner's already teaching his son Skaar that stuff and it would be more interesting if Banner lost his Hulk and Rick wasn't A-bomb, so since Banner has been so used being on the run, he needs Rick to teach him how to function normally in society again. That would be interesting. I would definetly read that.

Anyway, let's not forget that Jones was only Hulk's friend originally. After that, he became the kid mascot for the Avengers, and now he's a general laison for the Hero world in general. He ought to be the replacement for Nick Fury not Abomination! Aboniation should've never been killed in the first place!

Anywho, Bruce isn't a Hulk anymore? Since when? If he lost it, let me tell you he will get it right back. There is no way he is permanently out of Hulk.

1/31/2010 . Edited 2/4/2010 #19
Ultimate Hybrid

If he lost it, let me tell you he will get it right back. There is no way he is permanently out of Hulk.

Dun dun DAAAAA! I really felt the need to insert dramatic music after that sentence. Carry on with your conversation!

2/1/2010 #20
Kairan1979

Sorry if I rant, I just think that if anybody is Marvel's Batman it's... well... on second thought Marvel doesn't have a Batman. But what would come closest would be Daredevil.

I think closest character to Batman is Nighthawk from Supreme Power/Squadron Supreme comic books.

- Parents killed when he was a child.

- No powers, olympic-level athlete, genius and uses advanced weapons.

- Found a way to hurt Hyperion (analogue of Superman).

- Reluctant to work with the other heroes.

- Fought serial killer Whiteface (analogue of Joker).

2/3/2010 #21
Clownwithachainsaw

Well yeah, because Squadron Supreme is an almost blatant DC parody. And Nighthawk is Supreme universe's Batman, but the closest equivalent in Marvel (i.e. Earth 616) would be Daredevil because;

- Parents killed when he was a child.

- Olympic level athlete and combat pragmatic, and the powers aren't really obvious.

- Relectant to work with other heroes.

- Best detective in that universe.

- Uses fear as a weapon.

- Has a catwoman relationship with Elektra.

- Trained by ninjas.

- And, most importantly, absolutely will not stop until the bad guy is done. He once fought genocidal robot Ultron (Braniac analogue) who was modified and sent to kill him by Dr. Doom (Luthor analogue).

2/3/2010 . Edited 2/3/2010 #22
sakuuya

And, most importantly, absolutely will not stop until the bad guy is done. He once fought genocidal robot Ultron (Braniac analogue) who was modified and sent to kill him by Dr. Doom (Luthor analogue).

"Fought" is too reductive a phrase. "Used a freaking stick to rip the head off of" is more accurate. Was Ultron severely messed up and self-defeating at the time? Absolutely. That doesn't make DD smacking his head off with a stick any less awesome.

2/4/2010 #23
Kairan1979

After reading third volume of New Warriors and Avengers: The Initiative I really don't like Debrii. New Warriors were forced to accept her as a part of a team, because TV company's board of directors wanted more "friction" in the team. It's too bad Debrii missed Stamford - even Microbe was more interesting character than she was. Then she left Avengers Resistance when the things got too hot for her.

2/6/2010 #24
Clownwithachainsaw

I don't like the Alpha Flight team. I'm canadian, and when I think of a team of Canadian superheroes, I'm all for it. When I find out the only characters worth paying attention to are Sasquatch and Puck, I get mad. Oh sure America, hog all the cool superheroes. We'll just sit over here with 'the Guardian' (DC's guardian was better) and the 'Shaman' and wait patiently for you to think up some good heroes. Oh, in the newest incernation of the team you're giving us Beta-Ray Bill, U.S. Agent, and Arachne? Granted, Arachne and Beta-ray Bill are pretty cool, but are they Canadian? Thought not. What's that? Wolverine's Canadian? Why yes. Yes he is. So why is not not on the team with the other Canadian heroes? I mean, it's not like you don't have him on every single superhero team in America still, but you can't let him fight for his native country?

I mean no offense to any American readers, but seriously... why can't Stan Lee or somebody work their magic and give Canada some really worthwhile heroes. Is that too much to ask? It's not like they've ran out of ideas... they've proved they can come up with original heroes with the Runaways. So why does Canada have to suffer?

Forgive the less mature parts of my rant. I'm a bit of a patriot.

2/10/2010 #25
Captain Deadpool

My least favorite hero and villain?

Villain: Norman Osborn. He was alright untill they decided to turn him into the new Lex Luther.

Hero: Daredevil.

2/11/2010 #26
Kairan1979

I don't like the Alpha Flight team. I'm canadian, and when I think of a team of Canadian superheroes, I'm all for it. When I find out the only characters worth paying attention to are Sasquatch and Puck, I get mad. Oh sure America, hog all the cool superheroes. We'll just sit over here with 'the Guardian' (DC's guardian was better) and the 'Shaman' and wait patiently for you to think up some good heroes. Oh, in the newest incernation of the team you're giving us Beta-Ray Bill, U.S. Agent, and Arachne? Granted, Arachne and Beta-ray Bill are pretty cool, but are they Canadian? Thought not. What's that? Wolverine's Canadian? Why yes. Yes he is. So why is not not on the team with the other Canadian heroes? I mean, it's not like you don't have him on every single superhero team in America still, but you can't let him fight for his native country?

I can't help but agree about both Alpha and Omega Flight. I was glad when Northstar retired from the team and then helped to fight them when Alpha Flight tried to take young mutants from Xavier's.

2/11/2010 #27
sakuuya

Villain: Norman Osborn. He was alright untill they decided to turn him into the new Lex Luther.

Don't you mean "He was alright until they decided that he was alive and behind the whole fucking Clone Saga?" If they hadn't brought him back then for reasons that make no sense, he wouldn't be around today to cause crossovers.

2/11/2010 #28
Clownwithachainsaw

I actually think bringing him back during the Clone Saga was a good move. One of the things I most admire about Norman is the great lengths he will go to to make Peter's life miserable. The Clone Saga was arguably one of Peter's most traumatic adventure, ending in the 'death' of his child (I personally think she's still alive, but that's just me) so it just makes sense to have brought him back. They brought him back, and he was instantly villain numero uno again. Which was a relief, because all of the goblins who were flying around while he was gone stank (save for the Hobgoblin). But yes, after Norman became 'Lex Luthor' so to speak, the character was ruined. Not because of his plan, no, his plan to slowly rise through the ranks of heroes then become leader of S.H.I.E.L.D. and start trampling everything that heroes everywhere know and love? That is one class act. I like that plan. But the thing about this is; he is so evil, people are supposed to know how evil he is a mile away. This isn't like Lex Luthor becoming president, this is like the Joker leading the peace corps. If he's managed to somehow convince everybody in america that he isn't a raving sociopath, then to me, he's lost his edge.

Hero: Daredevil.

I can see where you're coming from there, I used to not like Daredevil too a while back. Then I realised he had the same factor my other favorite heroes always have; he never gives up. That, and he only set out to protect Hell's Kitchen, but one of his archfoes is world conquerer Dr. Doom, so...

2/11/2010 . Edited 2/11/2010 #29
Captain Deadpool

Daredevil's main problem is a problem that plagues many great characters: A lot of writers have written him into the dirt.

2/12/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Captain Deadpool
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member