The Domain
The price of citizenship is still, to some extent, your personal freedom.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 .. Last Next »
Qzil

Season 3 of Avatar just sort of gave up trying with character development and the characters became jokes of themselves. All Zuko did for half the season was whine and complain and then they waste time having the Gaang being buddy buddy with him on "field trips".

Let's not forget that he went back to being a dork like he was in season one. I think they were trying to get him to bond with everyone and 'grow up' and all that shit. He pretty much grew up and found himself and shit in season two in Ba Sing Se.

Katara became pretty much a Mary-Sue, being painfully self-righteous and hyprocritical, but never getting called out on it or suffering the consquences for her selfish actions. Plus she's always lauded for heractions, except by Toph, who was still awesome, yet grossly underused.

-nodnod-

Iroh also became a Gary Stu, what once was a man possibly racked with guilt for past sins he committed and his drive to redeem himself becomes a literal saint that's never done a bad thing in his entire life. The season ruins him by making him this bland, perfect angel ruining any depth he had, especially when it came to the death of his son. He was my favorite character pre -Season 3, wasn't too happy about that at all. Really, Season 3 of Avatar is like a completely different and vastly inferior show, it's mind-numbing.

It wasn't as good at season two at all. (Which, personally, was my favorite season.)

I also think that them shoving in Suki was very...random. Sure, she did do something in whole big battle, but did they really need her? I felt like she as just there to pair Sokka off.

6/28/2009 #211
Apocali

Yeah, Suki really had no character or importance outside being Sokka's girlfriend post-Season 2.The way she was executed, they didn't need her at all.

Also Kataang was executed so poorly, they didn't have to waste time with it all, it was completely pointless. Not to mention that it seems OOC for Katara, who saw Aang as a little brother for the majority of the show, to just go up and suck face with him. Twas just the ol', "Main male hero has gotta to get the main girl" cliche, character be damned. XP

6/28/2009 . Edited 6/28/2009 #212
Qzil

Yeah, Suki really had no character or importance outside being Sokka's girlfriend post-Season 2.The way she was executed, they didn't need her at all.

100% agreed. Azula should've killed her.

Also Kataang was executed so poorly, they didn't have to waste time with it all, it was completely pointless. Not to mention that it seems OOC for Katara, who saw Aang as a little brother for the majority of the show, to just go up and suck face with him. Twas just the ol', "Main male hero has gotta to get the main girl" cliche, character be damned. XP

"But she was really in love with him the whole time! Remember what Aunt Wu said!? That makes it cannon! And they kissed! Three times! And Mike and Bryan said sooooooooooo! Caaaannnnnnnooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!"

XDDDD

But seriously, Aang's been the one crushing on her the whole series. She never once said anything akin to "I'm in love with a short, bald, MONK."

He's a monk. Aren't they not supposed to, y'know, get married?

And of course they're gonna throw the main characters together! That's how every show/movie on Nick/in Disney (with the exception of The Hunchback of Notre Dame) goes!

6/28/2009 #213
Apocali

100% agreed. Azula should've killed her.

But then Sokka would be a complete and utter wreck possibly rivaling Shinji Ikari from Evangelion. XP

And of course they're gonna throw the main characters together!

They could have at least developed thier relationship over the span of the show instead of having it at the last five minutes.

6/28/2009 . Edited 6/28/2009 #214
pippermint

Shinji Ikari from Evangelion. XP

I hated that twerp. :K

6/28/2009 #215
Apocali

I hated that twerp. :K

Who doesn't? XD

6/28/2009 #216
Qzil

But then Sokka would be a complete and utter wreck possibly rivaling Shinji Ikari from Evangelion. XP

No way.

He coulda been mashed together with another random chick. =D Like Toph or Ty Lee or Mai or Jin. 8D

They could have at least developed thier relationship over the span of the show instead of having it at the last five minutes.

I wish.

Seriously, Haru and Katara had better chemistry.

6/28/2009 #217
Broken Gold

Ky, what the hell did you want Molly to say? "Don't harm my daughter, you bad woman!"? O_O

I would have put that on t-shirts. XDDDDD

6/29/2009 #218
Lost-Blue-Phantom

And of course they're gonna throw the main characters together! That's how every show/movie on Nick/in Disney (with the exception of The Hunchback of Notre Dame) goes!]

Actually, in the book, Pheobus is an asshole and gets Esmerelda hanged. And Quasimodo dies too.

6/30/2009 #219
Qzil

Actually, in the book, Pheobus is an asshole and gets Esmerelda hanged. And Quasimodo dies too.

I know. =D I can't wait to read it.

I was talking the Disney sugar-coated version.

7/2/2009 #220
Apocali

Despite it all, I'm suprised what they did with Frollo. They didn't even hide him wanting Esmerelda really badly at all. Plus he has an entire musical number wher he pleads with God to save him from temptation and damn Esmeralda to Hell. Considering this is Disney, the movie had some cajones and Frollo's probably one of thier best villains.

7/2/2009 #221
S.R Devaste

Can I give a rant about Ben Linus from Lost. I think he's hot shit, I think he should have gotten Juliet instead of Sawyer. End of story. He's manipulative, hot, and he worked his but off to get her on the Island and didn't get to even reap his rewards. I vote more episodes like 'Other Women.'

7/6/2009 #222
Ky-lassassin

I want to rant about Elle and how awesome she is. 8K Seriously. She's so cute; she's like, "OHAI PETER. -hug- ♥ ...-zap- :D" xDDDDD She's the best character, like, ever...except for Peter, of course. ♥♥♥ [/rant?]

7/10/2009 #223
Rising Dusk

Paulo is a deceptive bastard. -nod- :D

7/13/2009 #224
signelchan

Dart and Shana from The Legend of Dragoon are totally perfect. I hate them.

7/16/2009 #225
facelace

ULQUIORRA = ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

(partially done)

Ohmigawd, he's soooooooo cute, too~ He's the little emo servant of Aizen who just so happens to be falling in love with Orihime and doesn't know it! (Ulqihime = cutest Bleach pairing EVAR~) The first time I saw him I was like "-drool-" and now I'm all Ulquiorra obessed. (As my pen name and av reflects)

I DON'T WANT ICHIGO TO KILL HIM! At least he got a heart right before he died...

7/16/2009 #226
pippermint

This is more of a fandom rant than a character rant, but...

Certain kinds of OCs in the Fullmetal Alchemist category. Something inside me dies every time I come across bullshit summaries like this:

[insert name here] is just a normal girl who is home alone one night. That night, everything changes. But is it to the better or to the worse? EdxOC

[insert names here] have somehow found their way into FMA. So what next? Warnings inside. AlxOC and EdxOC. Watch out for fangirl-ish-ness. Lol. Please review.

There is no good reason for your stupid MarySue/self-insert/wish-fulfillment to be plopped into the world. They have absolutely nothing to contribute to the plot and, of course, you've made no attempt to explain how they got there in the first place--someone has to open the gate, remember?

Besides, Ed and Al would never realistically take someone along with them. They won't even take Winry, and they've known her all their lives. There is no way Ed's going to take one look at your character and say, "Well, I guess you're pretty cool. Wanna help us find the philosopher's stone using your pwnsome MarySue powers and inexplicably develop feelings for me/my brother/both of us, only to have your feelings returned?"

No fucking way. Now GTFO.

7/16/2009 #227
Lost-Blue-Phantom

I think he should have gotten Juliet instead of Sawyer.]

DD8

No. Ben is a fucking creeper, possesive and for the most part, extremely dangerous around everyone. Having Juliet would not make him any better.

he worked his but off to get her on the Island and didn't get to even reap his rewards.]

Because she wasn't submissive like everyone else, even after she saw what became of Goodwin's fate. In fact, this turned her away from Ben even more.

I vote more episodes like 'Other Women.']

I enjoyed that episode.

7/19/2009 #228
Ice-Eagle Y'siri

I think Aang and Toph are cute, in a weird sort of way. Or Sokka and Toph. *ducks under desk*. Katara annoys me now. She was pretty cool at first, but now----I just don't like her.

I'm sorry--I don't remember who Haru is, so I won't get involved in this one. I haven't watched the series in a long time.

However, I do feel like having a mini-ish sort of rant about the Twilight series. The first book was okay. The second book was also okay. The third book was barely passable, and the fourth made me want to scrub my mind with bleach. Several times.

Firstly, Stephenie Meyer (Meier? I forget) turned Bella into a Mary-Sue. I mean, please. She's rich, beautiful, she has a kid that isn't mortal, she has the perfect husband and almost everyone in the books loves her. And she's a doormat.

Well, that wasn't really a firstly, but still.

Moving on, ONLY ONE PERSON DIED IN THE FOURTH BOOK AND IT'S A VAMPIRE SERIES. WHAT IS UP WITH THAT. One. ONE.

I thought it was a generally given thing that more than one person had to die when it's dark fiction, like vampires.

And Nessie. My God, her name is horrendous. Renesmee? Poor kid. I definitely wouldn't want to be stuck with that. Renesmee.....*shudders*.

My other complaint was that Stephenie should've split the last book into two separate ones, so that the ending of the fourth book is when Bella Changes and the fifth is about her saving her child. And stuff. Yeah.

And dude. Leah, man, I feel so bad for her. Why couldn't she have had some kind of--I dunno--happier something? She's definitely one of my more favorite characters in the series.

I think I'm done, for now. I can't remember what else to complain about. What a relief. I'm glad we have this thread, I really do.

Regards,

Ice

As a side, Bellatrix creeps me the flip out. I think that Molly was pretty tight, though, and if Neville did it------I think it's enough that he killed Nagini. I wish Luna had more book and screen time, though. She's awesome.

7/27/2009 . Edited 7/27/2009 #229
Johnlock'd

The Clique

I love the series to death but some of the characters bug the hell outta me.

Massie - She's a bitch. Yes, I know, she's supposed to be like that but she's just so... ugh. You don't have to control your friends, Massie! And you don't have to make them feel like crap just because things aren't going your way. Not everyone is going to love and want you. No one owes you a damn thing and you don’t own everything just because you’re the leader of the Pretty Committee.

Layne, Meena, and Heather - Since they’re all basically the same, I’ll count them as one giant LBR. You little rebels need to be run over by a goddamn bus. No one likes listening to you protest about meaningless crap. They just are so annoying. All they do is protest and get pissed off when Claire hangs out with the Pretty Committee. I’d rather hang out with a bunch of bitches that secretly hate me than with these three freaks of nature. I hated them so much in Bratfest At Tiffany’s.

Alicia - She’s okay most of the time but the whole Spain thing bugs me. She’s completely American and she needs to quit with that shit. She’s such a whiny little brat, too. Just because you can’t run, doesn’t mean that others have to walk. And the way she keeps coming back to Massie after taking control of her own life is so stupid! I would be so freakin’ happy to finally break away from that bitch’s gang of snobs. You’re better than Massie in so many ways. Why don’t you just stab her in the back already and be the eighth-grade alpha you were meant to be?

7/27/2009 #230
Qzil

I don't like Claire. At all. I expected her to wind up a strong individual who didn't wind up in that clique and kept her own sense of what was cool to her/made friends with the other little outcasts.

But no. She decides to be all 'conform and follow Massie' like all the other girls.

And Massie's a bitch. A real fucking bitch. And she's so fucking spoilt it isn't even funny.

I actually like Layne, she's good for putting Claire in her place every once in a while, and she hasn't given up being unique like Claire did. (Although I haven't read the past few books, so IDK how they went.)

7/28/2009 #231
Qzil

NEW GUY READS THE BLACK JEWELS TRILOGY? 8DDDDDDDD Yay! Someone else who reads it! -hug-

Anyway, in light of that, Black Jewels rant.

Janelle is such a sue in the first part of the book. I mean, all those Jewels? I mean, after we learned she was Witch and everything I got why, but at first she was kinda a sue.

And I don't like her sister. She's a coward, who should've been able to stand up to and protect her sister. Janelle's whole birth family, too. They're real asses, and Alexandra was blind to the dream.

7/28/2009 #232
Ice-Eagle Y'siri

YAY SOMEONE READS BLACK JEWELS THAT ACTUALLY APPEARS ONLINE!!! WHEEEEEEEEEEEE -returns hug-

*Jumps in circles*

Yay, I agree that Jaenelle was a sue in the beginning, but..........she was a likeable sue. To me. I was like, "NOOOOOOOOO MARYSUE WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA---she's kinda cute, actually."

I wanted to bang my head against the wall for that, but oh, well. I also agree with Wilhemina being a coward and a natural doormat, but at least she finally got the courage to leave her family in the end and join Jaenelle, didn't she? That's a pretty big character step. However, I do think that she needs improving. A lot of it.

I conclude that even though Wilhemina's a coward, she doesn't send me over the edge LIKE THE REST OF HER IDIOT FAMILY. My God, when I read the part where they visited Jaenelle.........I hate them. Lots.

But I believe that's how the characters were supposed to be written, so Bishop did a good job. However, though I hated them, it was interesting to see it all from Alexandra's POV.

And, you know, I thought the books would be kinda stupid, because it seemed to be all about sex, but it's not. It's really cool and really interesting and now it's hard to extract myself from that world and back to this one. I liked Tangled Webs and The Shadow Queen, too. I'm one of those creatures that like epilogues, so books that have new characters (like Shadow Queen) that continue to mention Jaenelle and the original cast are nice.

I STILL WANT TO BEAT THERAN AGAINST A WALL. SEVERAL TIMES. WHAT A JERK.

I HEART SURREAL. HEART HEART HEART. And Cassidy.

Both of them are badass.

Regards,

Ice

7/28/2009 . Edited 7/28/2009 #233
Qzil

And, you know, I thought the books would be kinda stupid, because it seemed to be all about sex, but it's not. It's really cool and really interesting and now it's hard to extract myself from that world and back to this one. I liked Tangled Webs and The Shadow Queen, too. I'm one of those creatures that like epilogues, so books that have new characters (like Shadow Queen) that continue to mention Jaenelle and the original cast are nice.

I know, right? When I read Dreams Made Flesh, I honestly thought that it would be a sex book, but they're so much better than that!

OMG, I read Shadow Queen two weeks ago when I finally got it and I loved it. I just wanted to give Gray a big hug. I really liked The Invisible Ring, too.

I HEART SURREAL. HEART HEART HEART. And Cassidy.

I have a love-hate thing with Surreal. When she does something stupid, like in Queen of the Darkness, I was like, "No! NONONO, YOU MORON! -headdeskheaddeskheaddesk-" But when she and her mother were in Hell and they skinned Kartane alive (at least I think it was him) it was great.

And Cassidy did go through a lot.

7/28/2009 #234
Ice-Eagle Y'siri

Yeah, that was Kartane.

Freakin' awesome, wasn't it?

I don't remember her being ridiculously stupid in QOD--I thought that was Falonar's (I FORGET HIS NAME SHAME ON ME) fault.

However, she was an idiot in Tangled Webs. Hello, always shield when you enter a suspicious building. DUH.

And Cassidy is great.

So is Gray.

I still want to beat Theran against a wall.

Regards,

Ice

7/28/2009 #235
Johnlock'd

Degrassi~

Leah - I can’t fucking stand her. She’s just annoying and I hate the way she looks. I don’t know why but I just do.

Emma - She’s just so… blah. Too much drama. She expects everyone to know and love her, especially in college. I’m so glad that she’s no longer one of the main characters.

Paige - This self-centered brat needs to curl up and die. I liked her more when she was younger but even then I couldn’t help but hate her. She’s too controlling.

Derek - Ugh. I can’t stand him. He was better when he first started out but now he’s just a stupid wannabe bad-ass.

Connor - I get that he has a brain problem and all but I still hate him. He’s so annoying. I wish he had left when he was expelled.

7/28/2009 #236
mutemockingjay

Massie - She's a bitch. Yes, I know, she's supposed to be like that but she's just so... ugh. You don't have to control your friends, Massie! And you don't have to make them feel like crap just because things aren't going your way. Not everyone is going to love and want you. No one owes you a damn thing and you don’t own everything just because you’re the leader of the Pretty Committee.

These are my thoughts on Massie, which I expound on greatly in my fic Going Nowhere. If you take Lisi's stuff at face value, she comes off as a total bitch. And Lisi is a crap writer so she doesn't give her much depth. But I believe...actually, I know, that just beneath the bitch surface is vulnerability. Complete and utter vulnerability. She is pretty much terrified, I think. And...her family dynamic is quite fascinating if you think about it in depth, too. You guys should read fics instead of the books. Much better. Try Dernier Cri or my best friend, Yellowfur. They have both written excellent stories that the characters more flesh and depth.

7/28/2009 #237
Qzil

I don't remember her being ridiculously stupid in QOD--I thought that was Falonar's (I FORGET HIS NAME SHAME ON ME) fault.

Partly. Although she was going to go and rescue everyone from Dorothea. (Stupid? Yes.)

However, she was an idiot in Tangled Webs. Hello, always shield when you enter a suspicious building. DUH.

It was a pretty cool book, though. But she was stupid about it, too. And that guy she was with, also. Who was that again? I didn't think he was important enough to remember even though he was in Dreams Made Flesh, too.

7/29/2009 #238
Ice-Eagle Y'siri

That was Rainier. I don't even remember what Jewel he is--I think Sapphire or Opal--I forget.

Oh, yeah. Thanks for reminding me. Yeah, Surreal was pretty dumb there, too.

What I didn't get is why Saetan and Daemon didn't kill those two idiots (Dorothea and Hekatah) as soon as possible. I mean, even when Jaenelle and Lucivar were out of their control later on, why didn't they just kill them? I can't see Jaenelle sparing them.

7/29/2009 #239
Broken Gold

Bella Swan.

Enough said.

8/1/2009 #240
« Prev Page 1 .. 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Jon Stewart eliska, mutemockingjay, Beautiful Thief, Ky-lassassin, Qzil, How to Train Your Moosie
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member