The Domain
The price of citizenship is still, to some extent, your personal freedom.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 .. Last Next »
pippermint

I think it'd be a good idea to, instead of doing all of this ourselves, to link to helpful outside sites, such as sites about grammar, writing, and fanfiction terminology. Not only does it make less work for us, but it would make the threads less daunting for readers.

7/14/2009 #271
Ky-lassassin

I like the idea, but I'm not a mod so I can't say much. :D

All of them? There were a lot of ideas in there. XD; And yes, you can!~

All of these ideas are good, though I'm not sure about the inside jokes thread. It's going to be created or just made in the FAQ thread? Seemed a little unclear to me. Then again I'm slow. :P

Someone brought up the idea of using a JTP thread as an inside jokes thread, I think, but I don't really see the point, since it's all going to be in the FAQ anyway. I know that T/D's history will be in the FAQ, too, but it'll be more specific things, like "Who was Aly?" or "Why did Tainted's Domain get deleted?" The JTP thread with T/D's history will be a bunch of paragraphs--you know, "On November 3, 2007, Tainted Shadow Watcher (Rebel?) created a forum. She decided to call it Tainted's Domain..." right up to "On July 12, 2008..." And it may or may not go on, depending on what we decide to do.

I think so too~ :D

(:

7/14/2009 #272
Ky-lassassin

...tl;dr

You fail! D8

I didn't make a thread, but I ♥ your ideas!

-totally supportive-

Thanks! (:

7/14/2009 #273
Ky-lassassin

I think it'd be a good idea to, instead of doing all of this ourselves, to link to helpful outside sites, such as sites about grammar, writing, and fanfiction terminology. Not only does it make less work for us, but it would make the threads less daunting for readers.

That's a good idea, but I guess I kind of like the idea of having it all here, y'know? XD; Maybe we can copy and paste some stuff from sites on writing or grammar and cite the sources. We can take excerpts to help show our points and stuff. -nod-

7/14/2009 #274
pumpkinless

You fail! D8]

Yup.

Hey, hey, wait, inside jokes?

...Nothing about cat lady Rayne. That's not for public; that's for people I give a shit about.

7/14/2009 #275
ms.illegality

-feels really st00pid-

...tl;dr]

WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN? I have seen in everywhere and I'm like "I have no clue what it means so I'm just gonna ignore it.." Explain please?

7/14/2009 #276
Ky-lassassin

...Nothing about cat lady Rayne. That's not for public; that's for people I give a shit about.

No? D8 But it's not like it doesn't come up in the chat occasionally; if we reference it, we usually explain it anyway. :s

7/14/2009 #277
Ky-lassassin

WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN? I have seen in everywhere and I'm like "I have no clue what it means so I'm just gonna ignore it.." Explain please?

"Too long; didn't read." XDD

7/14/2009 #278
Rising Dusk

All of them? There were a lot of ideas in there. XD; And yes, you can!~]

Si and okay~ :D

Someone brought up the idea of using a JTP thread as an inside jokes thread, I think, but I don't really see the point, since it's all going to be in the FAQ anyway. I know that T/D's history will be in the FAQ, too, but it'll be more specific things, like "Who was Aly?" or "Why did Tainted's Domain get deleted?" The JTP thread with T/D's history will be a bunch of paragraphs--you know, "On November 3, 2007, Tainted Shadow Watcher (Rebel?) created a forum. She decided to call it Tainted's Domain..." right up to "On July 12, 2008..." And it may or may not go on, depending on what we decide to do.

Well, though it will be in the FAQ thread, at least it can be, like, narrowed down? In the FAQ thread it will be generalised and mixed up with many other sorts of information, but if it had its own thread then others would have to search through to much information~

7/14/2009 #279
ms.illegality

That's a good idea, but I guess I kind of like the idea of having it all here, y'know? XD; Maybe we can copy and paste some stuff from sites on writing or grammar and cite the sources. We can take excerpts to help show our points and stuff. -nod-]

... -likes-

7/14/2009 #280
pippermint

Too long; didn't read. XD

7/14/2009 #281
Ky-lassassin

Well, though it will be in the FAQ thread, at least it can be, like, narrowed down? In the FAQ thread it will be generalised and mixed up with many other sorts of information, but if it had its own thread then others would have to search through to much information~

The inside jokes? The way I see it, each inside joke is its own thing--its own post--y'know? Same with grammar. And I think it'd be a waste to explain all the inside jokes twice, because we can go in detail with them in the FAQ. It'd be a lot to search through because every inside joke would be, say, its own bullet, and it's easier to click links to individual posts and find what you're looking for.

7/14/2009 #282
ms.illegality

"Too long; didn't read." XDD]

... I am stupid! -templeshoot-

7/14/2009 #283
Rising Dusk

The inside jokes? The way I see it, each inside joke is its own thing--its own post--y'know? Same with grammar. And I think it'd be a waste to explain all the inside jokes twice, because we can go in detail with them in the FAQ. It'd be a lot to search through because every inside joke would be, say, its own bullet, and it's easier to click links to individual posts and find what you're looking for.

You has good point. :D

7/14/2009 #284
pumpkinless

No? D8 But it's not like it doesn't come up in the chat occasionally; if we reference it, we usually explain it anyway. :s]

That doesn't mean I want it held up in the light for the entire world to see. It's one of the best memories I have of the old TD; it's too personal.

7/14/2009 #285
Ky-lassassin

You has good point. :D

Oh. Thanks. 8D

7/14/2009 #286
Ky-lassassin

That doesn't mean I want it held up in the light for the entire world to see. It's one of the best memories I have of the old TD; it's too personal.

Okay. If you don't want it in there, we can respect that. ^^

7/14/2009 #287
How to Train Your Moosie

First of all: I can't concentrate tonight. I don't know why; all I know is that I had to read multiple sentences if Ky's post at least four times and I still wasn't really comprehending. Sorry; I'll have to check here again when I'm a little more focus. Anyway, a few vague replies:

I like the idea of a projects/events JTP thread. We could include the writing contests here--One/Three, June, the one I just started--and events like Nostalgia Day and moving to HP/Warriors/Pokemon. I feel like it'd almost be a regs thread for events, separated into categories and listed in chronological order. The more recent/upcoming events would be near the top, I'd imagine, because it doesn't make much sense to make people scroll all the way down to see what's going on. However, I'm leaning toward not organizing them by category, because then you'd have to scroll down to see the latest in, say, writing contests, anyway. I have a vague idea for formatting, where each event would be like..."CATEGORY - Event Name - Explanation of event" with the link underneath.

...But why do we need that? o.o To tell people about the events we've done in the past? That's...um...um...yeah. I don't get it, sorry.

I also saw something about an inside jokes thread. I don't think we need one, especially because it'd be in the FAQ, and it's not like we'd need it to flow well like we want the one on T/D's history to. It just seems like overkill--like we're just trying to use up all the threads. We don't need an individual post for our inside jokes because they'll all be in the FAQ and--even better!--they'll be linked individually, so a reader wouldn't have to read a bunch of paragraphs just to learn what we meant by "Hollying."

Agreed.

As for an individual JTP thread on grammar, I'd say no to that one. There's so much to cover in grammar, and I think it would be easier to write and read it in Q&A form. Also, with the FAQ, we could have individual posts for different things--commas, quotation marks, etc.--while if there was only one post, readers would have to scroll around to find what they were looking for.

Also agreed.

7/14/2009 #288
painted.inkblot

...What's the point?

7/14/2009 #289
pumpkinless

Okay. If you don't want it in there, we can respect that. ^^]

:)

7/14/2009 #290
Ky-lassassin

...But why do we need that? o.o To tell people about the events we've done in the past? That's...um...um...yeah. I don't get it, sorry.

So people know what's going on? -shrug- It's also be nice to have an archive of things we've done before and to have all the deadlines of things going on in one place, especially if we started doing events, say, every week again like we used to.

EDIT: Also, we don't really need it, but why do we need a regs thread? Why do we need an FAQ? A post with our history? It's not, y'know, super-necessary, but it'd be useful, I think.

7/14/2009 . Edited 7/14/2009 #291
Ky-lassassin

...What's the point?

You're going to have to be a bit more specific.

7/14/2009 #292
ms.illegality

So people know what's going on? -shrug- It's also be nice to have an archive of things we've done before and to have all the deadlines of things going on in one place, especially if we started doing events, say, every week again like we used to.]

Agreed. Once place to look for deadlines/ending dates of all events/contests/etc. would be nice.

7/14/2009 #293
painted.inkblot

You're going to have to be a bit more specific.I dunno...I'm having conflicting opinions with this. I keep on thinking, what's the point, like, 99% of the people who come here don't care about our history or our inside jokes or anything, we do we need a five-thousand-post FAQ, and then I think but there are a few people who wonder (although that's a few, not a lot), and the grammar would be good--but nobody would know about the grammar or come here just for that, and people would probably assume the FAQ is just random crap about us, and blah...-_-;;

7/14/2009 #294
How to Train Your Moosie

Also agreed. Actually, I've thought since the beginning that I really don't want to include anything about grammar. Where to stop and where to end? The lines are too blurry. Just because we like using good grammar doesn't mean it's our responsibility to rewrite what's already in hundreds of grammar books. Sorry. I know I'm being degrading, but that's just my opinion.

Now this is where I'm having a problem.

Do we really want to explain to anyone and everyone all of our inside jokes, everything that's happened ever, all the things that make us feel closer? I know it sounds really hypocritical because, obviously, we're an open forum on the Internet and obviously anyone can go and see our conversations and shit; I know that. But...really? We want to spill all our private stuff out in a FAQ? Inside jokes are supposed to be just that; inside jokes. I don't have a problem at all with somebody asking about specific stuff like that right to your face in the chat thread, but...in a FAQ? -headshake- I just...I don't know. There's something really, really invasive about that, to me, to think that we're going to have that as...as a pinned thread? O__________o That's just...-headshake- Sorry. Again. But I really can't wrap my head around that at the moment.

7/14/2009 #295
ms.illegality

I dunno...I'm having conflicting opinions with this. I keep on thinking, what's the point, like, 99% of the people who come here don't care about our history or our inside jokes or anything, we do we need a five-thousand-post FAQ, and then I think but there are a few people who wonder (although that's a few, not a lot), and the grammar would be good--but nobody would know about the grammar or come here just for that, and people would probably assume the FAQ is just random crap about us, and blah...-_-;;]

Nice run-on. And I see your point. Maybe we could somehpw let it be known in title that it isn't all about us?

7/14/2009 #296
Ky-lassassin

I dunno...I'm having conflicting opinions with this. I keep on thinking, what's the point, like, 99% of the people who come here don't care about our history or our inside jokes or anything, we do we need a five-thousand-post FAQ, and then I think but there are a few people who wonder (although that's a few, not a lot), and the grammar would be good--but nobody would know about the grammar or come here just for that, and people would probably assume the FAQ is just random crap about us, and blah...-_-;;

Well, we seem to get a shitload of lurkers every month--THAT'S RIGHT, WE SEE YOU GUYS--and even if they don't ask us, they could be going to the FAQ for questions on grammar and stuff. Or if they're lurking and see something about WTWH and wonder what it is but are too intimidated to ask, they can check the FAQ. Not all of them will care, but we get a pretty substantial amount of lurkers, and some of them are bound to. -shrug-

7/14/2009 #297
How to Train Your Moosie

EXFUCKINGACTLTY.

It's personal; it's an inside joke. Not something you want flaunted in a flagged thread.

7/14/2009 #298
ms.illegality

Do we really want to explain to anyone and everyone all of our inside jokes, everything that's happened ever, all the things that make us feel closer? I know it sounds really hypocritical because, obviously, we're an open forum on the Internet and obviously anyone can go and see our conversations and shit; I know that. But...really? We want to spill all our private stuff out in a FAQ? Inside jokes are supposed to be just that; inside jokes. I don't have a problem at all with somebody asking about specific stuff like that right to your face in the chat thread, but...in a FAQ? -headshake- I just...I don't know. There's something really, really invasive about that, to me, to think that we're going to have that as...as a pinned thread? O__________o That's just...-headshake- Sorry. Again. But I really can't wrap my head around that at the moment.]

I just did that "tl; dr." I missed it when it happened, and Rayne used it, so I asked what it meant. I think having that all explained out in an FAQ seems...I dunno, not right. Now, if someone really is curious, they can ask, but I think an FAQ is overdoing it.

7/14/2009 #299
Ky-lassassin

Also agreed. Actually, I've thought since the beginning that I really don't want to include anything about grammar. Where to stop and where to end? The lines are too blurry. Just because we like using good grammar doesn't mean it's our responsibility to rewrite what's already in hundreds of grammar books. Sorry. I know I'm being degrading, but that's just my opinion.

There are some things under grammar that we really need to cover, though. Commas, quotations/speech tags, semi-colons...

Do we really want to explain to anyone and everyone all of our inside jokes, everything that's happened ever, all the things that make us feel closer? I know it sounds really hypocritical because, obviously, we're an open forum on the Internet and obviously anyone can go and see our conversations and shit; I know that. But...really? We want to spill all our private stuff out in a FAQ? Inside jokes are supposed to be just that; inside jokes. I don't have a problem at all with somebody asking about specific stuff like that right to your face in the chat thread, but...in a FAQ? -headshake- I just...I don't know. There's something really, really invasive about that, to me, to think that we're going to have that as...as a pinned thread? O__________o That's just...-headshake- Sorry. Again. But I really can't wrap my head around that at the moment.

Well, we'd tell them if they asked, wouldn't we? It's the same thing, but with an FAQ, we wouldn't have to repeat it over and over. We're on the Internet, anyway, so they can find out whatever they want if they lurked hard enough. It'd be easier to find for them, sure, but what's wrong with that? I see the problem if a newbie comes in and starts Hollying, though, because they've had everything explained to them. -.-

7/14/2009 . Edited 7/14/2009 #300
« Prev Page 1 .. 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Jon Stewart eliska, mutemockingjay, Beautiful Thief, Ky-lassassin, Qzil, How to Train Your Moosie
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member