The Domain
The price of citizenship is still, to some extent, your personal freedom.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
pippermint

A thread for movies we've seen, whether they're still in theaters or not. Includes movies you loved, movies you hated, and movies you just want to discuss.

7/16/2009 #1
Jon Stewart

Catch-22? 8D

...No; too easy....

7/16/2009 #2
Lei-lassassin

The Illusionist.

Brilliant film. 8D

7/16/2009 #3
Qzil

Flowers in the Attic slaughtered the book. It was horrible and they should do an acurate remake of that and Petals.

7/16/2009 #4
pippermint

Gamer. It doesn't come out until September 4th, but holyshitholyshitholyshit. I haven't been this excited since Sweeney Todd. -flail-

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ubYTIazskQ

And, if that doesn't convince you...

The cast includes Michael C. Hall from Dexter, who is sporting an amazing accent; Aaron Yoo, best known (at least to me) as the Asian kid from Disturbia; Kyra Sedgwick; and Milo Ventimiglia, who many of you will know as Peter from Heroes. ;) So the basic plot is that, in the future, this game called Slayers allows its players to control the motions of real people--death row inmates. Anyway, the main character is trying to beat the game and win his freedom. It's...it looks amazing. And even if it fails plot-wise, it's going to win as far as acting and special effects go.

7/16/2009 . Edited 7/16/2009 #5
Broken Gold

...Halfblood Prince?

7/16/2009 #6
Ky-lassassin

Milo Ventimiglia, who many of you will know as Peter from Heroes. ;)

I'M SEEING THIS MOVIE.

Also, it sounds really good. 8DD

7/16/2009 #7
How to Train Your Moosie

I WANNA FRICKEN SEE UP! BEFORE IT CLOSES IN THEATRES. DAMMIT.

7/16/2009 . Edited 7/16/2009 #8
xKovu 01

Just saw Ice Age 3...it was just plain hilarious, they're saying that this one is the best out of the 3 films, which I totaly agree with. I plan on seeing it again with a friend of mine soon(he hasn't seen it yet).^___^

7/16/2009 #9
Sly Rockefeller

Most recent movie I've seen in theaters was Bruno. Even though my buddies and I were as high as kites we still didn't find the movie entertaining or funny. Ended up walking out of it.

The other recent one was Public Enemies. It was pretty good, I liked it. Even though character development could have been better.

7/16/2009 #10
ms.illegality

I WANNA GO SEE HBP DAMMIT.

7/17/2009 #11
pippermint

I don't think I want to see HBP anymore. D: If it butchers the book as much as people are saying it does, I'm just gonna regret wasting my money. I heard Public Enemies messes up some pretty important chunks of chronology, but maybe I'll see that. It looks good otherwise.

7/17/2009 #12
Qzil

Just saw Ice Age 3...it was just plain hilarious, they're saying that this one is the best out of the 3 films, which I totaly agree with. I plan on seeing it again with a friend of mine soon(he hasn't seen it yet).^___^

I actually wanna see it, too.

I don't think any of the movies will ever be as good as the first one, but the newest one looks like it's the funniest.

7/17/2009 #13
hey-oh

I'M SEEING THIS MOVIE.

Also, it sounds really good. 8DD DITTO.

...I can tell you I will not be seeing 2012. IT'S CALLED FACT-CHECKING, YOU MORONS!

7/17/2009 #14
Anarane Faelivrin

I might be going to see HP6 tomorrow. Yeah, probably. xD Anyone seen it?

7/17/2009 #15
Qzil

...I can tell you I will not be seeing 2012. IT'S CALLED FACT-CHECKING, YOU MORONS!

I...er...will.

7/17/2009 #16
How to Train Your Moosie

I...cough...I have a major problem with seeing anything made out of a book. I know it's really stupid, but I just...can't stand it. ._. Movies made out of books always suck compared to the book, what with butchering the book left and right and really bad/filled-with-hole-plots in most cases. I know there really isn't anything they can do about it; obviously, books and movies are not the same thing--there's no way you can fit anything close to the same amount of information there is in a novel into an hour-and-a-half film. But...still. I've never seen a HP movie past the third, never seen Twilight, The Da Vinci Code, or The Kite Runner, and I only like LotR for the special effects...which, I admit are pretty damned killer, but the plot just...sucks.

Am I the only one who feels that way?

[/mini-rant but we're in the movie thread so hopefully it's alright]

7/17/2009 #17
ms.illegality

I don't care if it butchers the book, I'm seeing HBP so I can discuss it with my brother~ Same with Transformers and UP!

7/17/2009 #18
pippermint

Am I the only one who feels that way?

Probably not. The first three HP movies were tolerable, and PoA was even pretty good, but after that I think the books got too long. However, this opinion is based on the suckiness of GoF, as I've never seen OotP and I don't want to go near HBP. Also, the movie version of Eragon was horrible.

On the other hand, The Devil Wears Prada was based on a book, and that's one of my favorite movies. I read the book afterwards, but I still like the movie better. =O Also, Misery (based on the Stephen King novel) and Jaws (based on the Peter Benchley novel) are both excellent, but I don't know how they compare to the books. Oh, and There Will Be Blood is (loosely) based on a book called Oil!; up until the very end, that was also a really good movie.

7/18/2009 #19
painted.inkblot

Also, the movie version of Eragon was horrible.

But Eragon was horrible to begin with. =O

I don't care if it butchers the book, I'm seeing HBP so I can discuss it with my brother~ Same with Transformers and UP!

...But Up wasn't originally a book. It's not the same thing. xDD;

7/18/2009 #20
Ky-lassassin

Transformers wasn't a book, either...was it? o________O;;

Anyway, I saw Transformers and Transformers 2: Rise of the Fallen. I liked the first one better, but the second one was still good. A lot of people said it was bad; I thought it was good. But not as good as the first one. :D

7/18/2009 #21
painted.inkblot

Transformers were comics, and before that, toys. -nod-

7/18/2009 #22
pippermint

It wasn't that bad! XD [/denial]

Transformers were comics, and before that, toys. -nod-

This reminds me of something. Barely relevant, but...

http://www.cracked.com/article_17400_8-shittiest-transformer-disguises.html

7/18/2009 #23
Broken Gold

HBP is really good, actually. I saw it at midnight, and yes it butcher's cannon every five minutes, but it's the first one that's been an amazing film. You can't expect the books from a movie, it just kills it for you. Yeah, OotP was cannon butchering and failsome, but HBP is really good if you don't point out everything that's wrong with it.

7/18/2009 #24
Anarane Faelivrin

I'm going to see the new HBP today with my friend. I've heard it's pretty good. xD

7/19/2009 #25
Qzil

HBP is really good, actually. I saw it at midnight, and yes it butcher's cannon every five minutes, but it's the first one that's been an amazing film. You can't expect the books from a movie, it just kills it for you. Yeah, OotP was cannon butchering and failsome, but HBP is really good if you don't point out everything that's wrong with it.

Agreed.

7/19/2009 #26
Lost-Blue-Phantom

I only like LotR for the special effects...which, I admit are pretty damned killer, but the plot just...sucks.]

DD8

BLASPHEMY!

Granted, I read the LotR books after I saw the movie, but still! Admittedly, they did take out some pretty awesome things (like the floating hand, for example) but the LotR movies are still freakin' amazing.

Okay, one book to movie I had a real problem with was the animated version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Granted, it is one of the darkest animated Disney, but it looks like a ball of sunshine and sparkles compared to the book. Which, I get it, they had to make it for kids. It still pisses me off.

7/19/2009 #27
Qzil

Okay, one book to movie I had a real problem with was the animated version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Granted, it is one of the darkest animated Disney, but it looks like a ball of sunshine and sparkles compared to the book. Which, I get it, they had to make it for kids. It still pisses me off.

That movie is love. (But, then again, I haven't read the book yet. I just got it.) Even so, it's pretty good.

Oh, so I have two right now.

The Disney version of Alice's Adventures In Wonderland, just like almost every Alice movie, ruins it by putting the two books together and then butchering it six ways over. They couldn't even put The Walrus and the Carpenter in there right. And they left out Jabberwocky.

The second is Flowers in the Attic. Not only did they cut out the brother/sister incest, the sex, the sneaking around the house, the mother slowly forgetting about her children and turning against him, they changed the mouse's name to Fred, and they fucked-up Chris, Cathy, and Carrie's escape. In the book, the Grandmother didn't cut Cathy's hair, she warmed up to her a bit and gave her a plant. There was more focus on the flowers in the attic and their paper garden. In the book, Chris and Cathy sit on the roof every Thursday and at one point they sneak out of the house and go swimming in the lake half a mile away. And the movie botched the end.

And that's just the half of it. They pretty much slaughtered it worse than the Harry Potter movies have slaughtered the books. And the acting sucked.

7/20/2009 #28
mutemockingjay

I love the Disney Alice in Wonderland!!! ♥

Granted, I never read Through the Looking Glass. And I haven't actually looked at Alice in a while~

What I did love in that book was the whole bit with her and the baby pig. The Duchess, if I recall correctly. When I dressed up as Alice, I carried around a stuffed pig in a baby's bonnet. XD

7/20/2009 #29
How to Train Your Moosie

Also, the movie version of Eragon was horrible.

xDDD I never saw that movie. I did see pictures of Saphira, though.... O____________________o;;; WTF.

When I was little--and still now!!!--The Swan Princess movies were my life. 8DDDDDD

"You're beautiful!"

"Thank you, but...what else?"

"...What else...is there?"

^ BEST LINES EVAR. xDDD

7/20/2009 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Jon Stewart eliska, mutemockingjay, Beautiful Thief, Ky-lassassin, Qzil, How to Train Your Moosie
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member