The Domain
The price of citizenship is still, to some extent, your personal freedom.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 .. Last Next »
soundless.dissonance

It was extremely good. -nod- I feel like it could have used a little more of something (I'm not sure of what), but it was quirky and funny and seriously heartbreaking in all the right ways.

I really liked that movie--I thought it was really well written, but it...didn't feel competely fleshed out? I dunno; it just never seemed to click as the amazing movie that I felt like it could've been. Or something like that.

2/20/2010 #271
Qzil

So, I re-watched Tuck Everlasting today.

-sobs- "I will love you, Winnie Foster, until the day I die!"

And he's immortal so he will love her forever. And she won't drink the water because she knows living forever is not good. I mean, in the book she and Jesse weren't, like, "in love" so it hurt less and you knew that she did what was good for a young girl to do. But in the movie your heart just breaks for Jesse when he comes back and sees her grave. And when he leaves. I mean, I found part of it to be a bit Narm Charmish, and Alexi Bidel's acting was so-so at parts. She sounded very Gilmore.

So, I cried quite a bit. The movie was good. Not as good as the book, of course, which was less of a love story. But as a movie (and a love story) it was very good, and very, very sad.

But your heart still goes out to Jesse.

2/24/2010 #272
DeadAsDead

The other day I watched "Falling Down" God it was funny, made me angry, and made me sad. I loved and hated the main character at one time, and also felt bad for him. It was such an..."everywhere" movie in the sense of philosophies/ideologies, that I found myself not even disagreeing or agreeing with things I disagree with or agree with lol. I would describe it as a Dark Drama/Comedy/Tragedy. Some acting would seem a little wonky at first, but when you think about it, they're acting like some people normally would in RL, and not Movie World where they're emotionless puppets with zero personality, or an obvious fixed personality; they seemed like natural characters. Allot of commentary on the injustices of societies, from everyday pet peaves, to things that affect everyone in a large, and obviously negative way. [sarcasm]It's an ode to us, humanity[/sarcasm]

5/5

2/27/2010 #273
Qzil

So, I re-watched Titanic last night.

I forgot why I loved that movie so much. It was romantic, pretty accurate, and just beautifully done. If there's not at least one scene where your heart just breaks and you want to cry, then I don't know what movie will make you feel like that. The whole part of the movie after the boat hits the iceberg is pretty much one big tearjerker. One of the big ones for me is when te boat comes back and she's trying to wake up Jack and he's dead, and she just curls up on her driftwood and waits to freeze to death, then she remembers her promise to survive and just starts calling and manages to get the boat to come back.

That, and the very end where she dies and she meets him again ont he Titanic. I always liked to think that since she was in a white dress at the end that when they met and everyone was there, that was basically their wedding and the ship kept sailing with everyone on it and went to Heaven, and that once all the souls from the ship died and got back on, the ship would dock in Heaven. And you see the band and Mr. Andrews and...it always just makes me cry.

...But that's just 'cause I'm a romantic at heart, like most girls. ♥

But what really made the movie good to me is that the story was just good. They did everything beautifully, right down to the ship sinking. The characters either make you love them or hate them. When the band is playing Nearer My God to Thee or when the preist is doing the prayer. I loved it so much.

To me, a sad movie is truly a good sad movie when it can make me at least tear up, if not become a sobbing wreck, every time I watch it. Titanic and Artificial Intelligence are the only two so far.

2/28/2010 #274
mutemockingjay

I watched it recently, too, and I felt the exact same way. So I talked to two of my friends about it (one guy and one girl) and both of them were all, 'Ew, that movie sucks. It's so boring.'

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD8

It totally makes me cry. So does Dumbo, though, which Ben and I watched last night in an effort to regain his childhood.

2/28/2010 #275
Qzil

I know. There's this really asshole stoner kid (who everytime I mention Buffy goes "Gah, I fucking hate that show, it sucks"), who was like, "It wasn't even a good movie! It's a boat and water and people fall in love and die!"

I mean, like, yeah. But it was written very, very well, and very emotional.

3/4/2010 #276
eliska

Smack the kid. Titanic is awesome. 8K

I want to go watch Alice in Wonderland ~ anyone seen it yet?

3/6/2010 #277
mutemockingjay

Speaking of Leonardo diCaprio, Ben and I saw Shutter Island on Thursday. And it was awesome.

3/6/2010 #278
Anarane Faelivrin

I want to go watch Alice in Wonderland ~ anyone seen it yet?

I'm seeing that next Saturday. (:

3/6/2010 #279
DeadAsDead

Saw 2012; it was surprisingly funny, and pretty entertaining actually. I liked how they actually made the theory of the world coming to an end seem realistic, rather than "IT MAGIC!1" like with the Mayan-Nostradamus-Bible-Koran-L. Ron Hubbard-Lord Of The Harry Potter prophecies (I actually don't know if L. Ron Hubbard made some kind of end of the world reference XD).

And, of course, for the third time I saw Inglorious Basterds (Quentin Tarintino version), (saw the original too and it was stupidly fun, like movies back then were). I am not exaggerating when I say, when I saw it in the theaters for the first time, it gave me adrenaline as all the characters and plots began to merge. I can't even remember the last time I got adrenaline from watching a movie.

3/7/2010 #280
Qzil

Okay. Movie!Rant time.

So, most of you know that I love Repo! The Genetic Opera. The characters, the music, and the sets/costumes are amazing.

And I keep seeing advertisements for that goddamned rip-off movie Repo Men everywhere.

Look, even if I hadn't seen RtGO, I wouldn't go see this. Other than the fact that it has Gigolo Joe from Artificial Intelligence in it (I think) it doesn't interest me. There are people who complain that Repois 'giving goths a bad name' or some shit, when it isn't. The only one in that whole movie who could even be counted as goth in any way is Shilo, and she dresses like a done-down loli in most cases. Sure some people (Graverobber, Amber Sweet, Mag, and the Scalpel Sluts look goth at times, but Graverobber is homeless, Amber Sweet looks different every scene, Mag is a performer (and always in costume) and the Scalpel Sluts are too high to even notice what they're putting on). Sure, there are some plotholes and things that make you go WTF?, but in general the movie was pretty good, and the special effects/make-up/sets were awesome for the low budget.

Repo Men looks like RtGO with less plot, a higher budget, more gore, and more advertising. But, hell, after it comes out on DVD I may check out clips on YouTube. If I like it enough I'll Netflix it. Maybe.

3/9/2010 #281
DeadAsDead

Saw "Alice In Wonderland" at the theaters. I give a 3 out of 5. Seeing the trailer I thought it was gonna blow my mind; but it didn't actually. It was neat and cute, but it didn't put me in awe. The funniest bits were the Red Queen, she was great. But I wasn't really impressed with the other characters that much. It pretty much feels like something I would have rather rented on Netflix rather than go to the theaters, but oh well. I can only hope "Shutter Island" will be better; the trailer me go "Sweet!!1" just like Alice did, and that makes my confidence wane somewhat :(

3/13/2010 #282
mutemockingjay

Shutter Island was awesome- you won't be disappointed.

3/14/2010 #283
Ice-Eagle Y'siri

Shutter Island looks like one of the freaking creepiest movies EVAR. EVAR.

The old lady in the beginning of the trailer in her yard? Yeah. When I saw it, I was like, "OH MAH FREAKING GAWD I IS GONNA DIEEEEEEE."

She is so CREEEEPY.

But it looks great. :D

3/15/2010 #284
Peeta the Frosting Prince

I love the way it looked- but I am a sucker for asylum related things.

And a lot of the symbolism for Leo's character was really good too- when he liberated Dachau.

3/15/2010 #285
Broken Gold

I loved Alice In Wonderland. IMAX 3D was fantastic, and Bonham-Carter and Depp stole the show! Plus, the girl who plays Alice was a fantastic actress who wore lots of fabulous dresses that I would really like to own. :D

3/17/2010 #286
Altevriel

Finally saw that Percy Jackson movie, and I'm glad I like Greek mythology even more now. :D

3/22/2010 #287
Silver-hair Angel

Haven't seen anything since Youth In Revolt, but if you want to watch some throwbacks, I recommend Se7en.

3/23/2010 #288
mutemockingjay

What did you think of Youth in Revolt, Silvie?

My Dad worked heavily on that movie and I remember taking a lot of phone calls for screenings of it. *nod*

3/23/2010 #289
pippermint

but if you want to watch some throwbacks, I recommend Se7en

Ooh, this. 'S a bit violent and creepy at times, but if that doesn't bother you, go for it.

3/23/2010 #290
UnnaturalKetchupTaco

Saw 2012; it was surprisingly funny, and pretty entertaining actually. I liked how they actually made the theory of the world coming to an end seem realistic, rather than "IT MAGIC!1" like with the Mayan-Nostradamus-Bible-Koran-L. Ron Hubbard-Lord Of The Harry Potter prophecies (I actually don't know if L. Ron Hubbard made some kind of end of the world reference XD).

I agree with that. I watched it with a bunch of friends, and we all agree that it was a pretty good movie. The graphics were super realistic, and the plot just came together really good.

I recently saw Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. It was right after 2012, and we watched it so we wouldn't have nightmares about the world ending. I have to say, we were giggling madly through the whole thing. The police officer with the short-shorts was hilarious, and Steve the monkey was da bomb. We didn't quite finish it because we all fell asleep, but what we did see was good. A nice, cute movie.

3/23/2010 #291
DeadAsDead

I ordered an old Mystery Science Theater 3000 flick on Netflix. For those who don't know, it's the best series where three guys make goofy commentary over wretchedly cheesy movies ever, WHILE you watch it (there's the little silhouettes of move-theater seats near the bottom of the picture, with the three guys seated). This time it was a crappy 70s-80s movie called "Laserblast". At parts, I was actually laughing at the movie itself and not just the commentary, but the comments were good. Such a great show, even if it does have it's lame eps sometimes.

3/23/2010 #292
Don't hit me you silly person

Mah favorite movie of all effing time; "FIGHT CLUB!"

AWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOME

3/24/2010 #293
How to Train Your Moosie

How to Train Your Dragon is fantastic. Stunning visuals and totally adorable. I absolutely loved how real the dragons were; it was such to relief that they couldn't talk or communicate with the humans any more than they should be able to (as animals). I love those rare movies that capture bonds between humans and animals without making either species gifted or unnatural. In fact, this movie said a lot about the beauty of untouched nature. I really loved that.

3/28/2010 #294
Qzil

Seeing that movie with my sister this week. I'm excited.

So, anyway, a few nights ago I saw a movie called The Virgin Suicides.

As you might have guessed, it's about these virgins who kill themselves. Sort of.

There is this one family with five girls, the youngest is Cecilla, the oldest is Lux. They are all very beautiful with pale skin and blonde hair, but the mother is very overbearing. The movie opens with this boy narrating about how every time he and his friends from back then get together they wind up talking about the girls and wishing they could have done something. The movie is told from the point of view of him and this one boy Trip.

So, the movie goes on to explain how the youngest daughter had tried to kill herself by slitting her wrists. The doctor recommends the girls get more freedom and they throw a party for the kids around the block. The youngest jumps out the upstairs window and impales herself on the fence around the house. So, that didn't work.

They go through the funeral and the usually depression/suicide statistics and school meetings before the boys find the youngest girl's diary. There are these four boys, one of which lives next door from the girls, who wind up falling hopelessly in love and become obsessed with the girls. They read the diary and learn about all the girls, starting the obseesion/love...thing.

So the POV switches to the boys interviewing a boy named Trip, who they said 'Was the only one of us to really get to know Lux.' Trip convinces the girl's father to let him take Lux to homecoming if he can find the other girls dates. So, he does and they go. There, Lux and Trip are crowned Homecoming King and Queen and they wind up having sex on the football field and fall asleep. They fall asleep, Trip wakes up first, and he leaves her there, walking home himself. He says he never talks to her again.

So, because Lux misses curfew, the mother puts the girls on full house arrest. The rest of the movie is spent with the boys and girls exchanging phone calls and giving light signals, and watching Lux have sex with random boys on the roof of her house. Finally, Lux invites the boys over, saying that they should sneak out and go for a drive. So they come over and stumble across the bodies of the girls, who have finally killed themselves. One by hanging, one by pills, one by putting her head in the oven, and Lux by turning the car on in the garage with it closed. After it happens, the parents leave the neighborhood, throwing out most of the family photos, which the boys take. They never get over the girl's deaths.

I really enjoyed the movie. You knew very little about the girls, because the boys knew little about the girls. You participated in the movie as an onlooker as the boys did, and it gave the moive a more personal feel (to me, at least). Plus, the fact that you knew little made it a bit more realistic. You aren't going to know all the details of someone's life if you aren't close to them. It's like if you only knew the neighbor kid casually and then he/she killed himself.

The trailer can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGAT8rH1qYM.

3/28/2010 #295
DeadAsDead

The latest one I saw was named "Franklyn" which was really odd and neat. At first, when you watch them movie, there's two plots instead of one...well, technically it's three plots. One plot takes place in the futuristic "Meanwhile City", where religion is the dominant thing there, except it's many many different religions, literally from whatever people make up (from major God religions to just domestic, everyday-needs religions, like manicures and stuff...literally). However, if you don't have a religion you can get in trouble because the character claims one that doesn't conform to a religion in the city is harder to control. Then the two other plots take place in contemporary London. Now, when the movie begins, it appears that they're both different realities. It's actually quite confusing at first, you really have no idea what's going on; which is good. Because just when you think the movie is mindless drivel, it starts making sense.

I give a 4/5 because while I think it's intended to be utterly confusing at first, I still was kind "meh" about it. But the plot was really cool.

No, shit, it's FOUR mini plots, and they all eventually meet at the end. It's super interesting (after you gradually get passed "wut?/" portion).

3/28/2010 #296
pippermint

Finally watched The Princess Bride. xD

3/30/2010 #297
Broken Gold

Finally watched The Princess Bride. xD

Aaaaaaaaaand...? :D

3/30/2010 #298
Qzil

Just got back from How To Train Your Dragon.

It. Was. Amazing.

God, I don't even have words to describe it. It was one of the best movies I've ever seen, kid movie or no.

3/31/2010 #299
Teh Trickster

I saw the trailer for How to Train your Dragon while waiting for Alice in Wonderland to start, and it really does look very interesting. I'm very tempted to watch it myself, except... I can't decide between that and Nodame Cantabile.

I just watched Alice in Wonderland a few days ago, and it really was amazing. It was like a roller-coaster ride, and I really enjoyed the ride. And don't get me started on the scenery and that super cute mouse (whom I just found out was actually female). And yeah, I did get Pirates of the Carribean vibes from it, though that was mainly because of Johnny Depp's sword-fighting.

4/1/2010 #300
« Prev Page 1 .. 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Jon Stewart eliska, mutemockingjay, Beautiful Thief, Ky-lassassin, Qzil, How to Train Your Moosie
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member