The Domain
The price of citizenship is still, to some extent, your personal freedom.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
painted.inkblot

((Unlocked for the 2009 competition on October 18, 2009--see post 291 for the first of this year's posts.))

((Unlocked for the 2010 competition on October 11/12 2010 --see post 609 for the first of this year's posts.))

NaNoWriMo? "WTF is that?" you ask. (Or you might not be asking that, because you already know, or you didn't even notice this thread. But that doesn't matter.)

NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month, and during the month of November 1st, a horde of insane people gather to try and write a 50,000-word novel by 11:59:59, November 30th, local time.

That's the short explanation. This is the really long, more professional explanation, provided by NaNo's creator, Chris Baty:

National Novel Writing Month is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to novel writing. Participants begin writing November 1. The goal is to write a 175-page (50,000-word) novel by midnight, November 30. Valuing enthusiasm and perseverance over painstaking craft, NaNoWriMo is a novel-writing program for everyone who has thought fleetingly about writing a novel but has been scared away by the time and effort involved. Because of the limited writing window, the ONLY thing that matters in NaNoWriMo is output. It's all about quantity, not quality. The kamikaze approach forces you to lower your expectations, take risks, and write on the fly. Make no mistake: You will be writing a lot of crap. And that's a good thing. By forcing yourself to write so intensely, you are giving yourself permission to make mistakes. To forgo the endless tweaking and editing and just create. To build without tearing down. As you spend November writing, you can draw comfort from the fact that, all around the world, other National Novel Writing Month participants are going through the same joys and sorrows of producing the Great Frantic Novel. Wrimos meet throughout the month to offer encouragement, commiseration, and—when the thing is done—the kind of raucous celebrations that tend to frighten animals and small children. In 2007, we had over 100,000 participants. More than 15,000 of them crossed the 50k finish line by the midnight deadline, entering into the annals of NaNoWriMo superstardom forever. They started the month as auto mechanics, out-of-work actors, and middle school English teachers. They walked away novelists. So, to recap: What: Writing one 50,000-word novel from scratch in a month's time. Who: You! We can't do this unless we have some other people trying it as well. Let's write laughably awful yet lengthy prose together. Why: The reasons are endless! To actively participate in one of our era's most enchanting art forms! To write without having to obsess over quality. To be able to make obscure references to passages from our novels at parties. To be able to mock real novelists who dawdle on and on, taking far longer than 30 days to produce their work. When: You can sign up anytime to add your name to the roster and browse the forums. Writing begins November 1. To be added to the official list of winners, you must reach the 50,000-word mark by November 30 at midnight. Once your novel has been verified by our web-based team of robotic word counters, the partying begins.

...Yeah.

Anyway, this is my second time doing NaNo, and I hope I'll win it again. 8D However, I'm currently somewhat plotless, in that I have several plots to choose from, and have tentatively chose one which may change any minute.

NaNo also happens to be the one time I stop procrastinating. o_o;;

So...is anyone with me? 8DD

-waits for this thread to drop to the bottom of the forum and never be answered-

...Oh, and FFnet turned the explanation into a text block of D00M. I'm sorry.

To see the explanation not as a Text Block of D00M, you can go to the official site: www.nanowrimo.org.

10/9/2008 . Edited by Beautiful Thief, 10/11/2010 #1
Lei-lassassin

First post?

10/9/2008 #2
Lei-lassassin

Yes!

Anyway, I heard about this myself! I'm planning to do something for it :)

10/9/2008 #3
Baeden

I'm in. Time to let go of all this ridicuous "Oh my gosh that sucks" and submit the true horrors of my writing. Who will join us on our quest? :D

10/9/2008 #4
Amberglass7

No, you lost me somewhere in the text block.

10/9/2008 #5
Smart Aleckette

I would for the hell of it, but I'm. . . too lazy to. [/fail]

10/9/2008 #6
painted.inkblot

I'm. . . too lazy to. [/fail]DDD8 But it's fun! And procrastination tends to disappear during that month because you get so desperate. xD

10/9/2008 #7
Lost-Blue-Phantom

I tried last year, but I couldn't keep focused. Switching between houses also makes it really hard. So, I'm going to try again, but I make no promises.

... Le, duh. I have creative writing everyday.

10/9/2008 #8
Amberglass7

And procrastination tends to disappear during that month because you get so desperate. xD

*doubts it*

10/9/2008 #9
Qzil

You guys are just now hearing about this?

10/9/2008 #10
painted.inkblot

You guys are just now hearing about this?Who, me? Did you miss the part where I said 'I hope to win again'? D8 Stress on the again?

10/9/2008 #11
mutemockingjay

I am with you. Now I actually need a plot............

10/9/2008 #12
painted.inkblot

Now I actually need a plot............I actually have a plot, but it's plotless:

A girl embarks on an epic quest to find what her world (that is, her) needs most: a plot for NaNoWriMo. Everything is plot fodder. Everything. Let Hilarity Ensue. Let there be lulz. But most importantly, let this poor girl find a plot.

And it's called Title Pending. Really.

10/9/2008 #13
pippermint

-is proud because she knew about it- =D

This is going to be so much fun. Or fail. One of those. School is kicking my butt right now, but 1,667 words a day might be doable.

A girl embarks on an epic quest to find what her world (that is, her) needs most: a plot for NaNoWriMo. Everything is plot fodder. Everything. Let Hilarity Ensue. Let there be lulz. But most importantly, let this poor girl find a plot.

Whoa. That sounds really cool.

10/9/2008 #14
Breezeh

I did it last year, and I won with, like, 100 excess pages. 8DD I'm going to do it again, too. I already have a plot.

10/10/2008 #15
Smart Aleckette

DDD8 But it's fun! And procrastination tends to disappear during that month because you get so desperate. xD

. . . Maybe I'll try. But I'll probably give up by day two. XDD

10/10/2008 #16
Jon Stewart

XD Very nice.

Personally, I don't even want to think about NaNoWriMo.

10/10/2008 #17
painted.inkblot

Personally, I don't even want to think about NaNoWriMo.

I think you should think about NaNoWriMo. A lot. 8D

10/10/2008 #18
Jon Stewart

I think you should think about NaNoWriMo. A lot. 8D

You can think about it for me. :D

10/11/2008 #19
Breezeh

We all know that Julia could write, like, three chapters and be over 150 pages. :D

10/11/2008 #20
mutemockingjay

Lolz. Nice one. XDDD

10/11/2008 #21
painted.inkblot

We all know that Julia could write, like, three chapters and be over 150 pages. :D

Actually, my NaNo from last year is around thirteen chapters and some 108 pages, single spaced. ¬.¬

10/11/2008 #22
painted.inkblot

You can think about it for me. :DNice try~ xD

10/11/2008 #23
Jon Stewart

Actually, my NaNo from last year is around thirteen chapters and some 108 pages, single spaced. ¬.¬

What was it?

Nice try~ xD

-sniff- It wasn't a try; it was...an order. You write mine! I'll give you money later. Five bucks a page. :D

...Fail, right?

10/11/2008 #24
How to Train Your Moosie

-totally just heard about this-

I'd do it if I could think of something to write/write fast. But I can't, so, oh, well. 8D

10/11/2008 #25
painted.inkblot

What was it?The main character is a lonely preteen with no friends (and who is sometimes mocked for being weird) who starts writing a story. Since she has no friends, she starts to imagine that her characters in her novel are her friends, and soon begins to occasionally hear her characters’ voices inside her head. She starts to withdraw from the world even more as she converses almost solely with her characters, who are slowly becoming more real to her than reality. Eventually she begins to see her characters as well as hear them. They at first appear to be transparent, but gain solidity and life (although only in her mind), and she retreats from the world socially, talking only to her characters and interacting little with teachers, parents, siblings, et cetera (unavoidable people). After a while the real world around her starts to become transparent like her characters once were (again, only in her mind), (and the world that she made for her characters gains preeminence) and she eventually loses contact with her parents and teachers, going through the motions but not responding to any outside forces (i.e. she wouldn’t respond to questions, raise her hand in class, et cetera)- basically acting like a nonresponsive robot, because she doesn't hear or feel. Once she is completely in her own world, the story (I always thought of it as being written as the MC's diary) stops for a month or two, and when it does pick up she’s entirely forgotten about the real world. Instead, she's begun dreaming about it and what’s actually happening to her body outside, but when she wakes up in her world she thinks it’s just a very odd recurring dream. Sooner or later she’ll figure out that she used to live in another reality, and forgetting what her life was like back there, she starts to try and get back to reality when she's dreaming, which results in her fantasy world occasionally breaking up into the real world, where she's probably in a mental institution,

That was the basis. I added more, most of what never got to be written. -nod-

I'd do it if I could think of something to write/write fast. But I can't, so, oh, well. 8DIt's not about focusing on winning, it's just writing in a mad rush! D8 It's fun!

10/11/2008 #26
Jon Stewart

The main character is a lonely preteen with no friends (and who is sometimes mocked for being weird) who starts writing a story. Since she has no friends, she starts to imagine that her characters in her novel are her friends, and soon begins to occasionally hear her characters’ voices inside her head. She starts to withdraw from the world even more as she converses almost solely with her characters, who are slowly becoming more real to her than reality. Eventually she begins to see her characters as well as hear them. They at first appear to be transparent, but gain solidity and life (although only in her mind), and she retreats from the world socially, talking only to her characters and interacting little with teachers, parents, siblings, et cetera (unavoidable people). After a while the real world around her starts to become transparent like her characters once were (again, only in her mind), (and the world that she made for her characters gains preeminence) and she eventually loses contact with her parents and teachers, going through the motions but not responding to any outside forces (i.e. she wouldn’t respond to questions, raise her hand in class, et cetera)- basically acting like a nonresponsive robot, because she doesn't hear or feel. Once she is completely in her own world, the story (I always thought of it as being written as the MC's diary) stops for a month or two, and when it does pick up she’s entirely forgotten about the real world. Instead, she's begun dreaming about it and what’s actually happening to her body outside, but when she wakes up in her world she thinks it’s just a very odd recurring dream. Sooner or later she’ll figure out that she used to live in another reality, and forgetting what her life was like back there, she starts to try and get back to reality when she's dreaming, which results in her fantasy world occasionally breaking up into the real world, where she's probably in a mental institution,

That was the basis. I added more, most of what never got to be written. -nod-

I like it. 8D

10/11/2008 #27
painted.inkblot

The writing is really bad, though some of it's good. -ashamed-

10/11/2008 #28
Jon Stewart

The writing is really bad, though some of it's good. -ashamed-

Why does my font look small and gray?...And that makes sense. NaNoWriMo lasts for only a month. It's quantity over quality. XDD 10/11/2008 #29
Baeden

-really annoyed that she has to wait till November-

10/12/2008 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Jon Stewart Bethany C. MacKenzie, mutemockingjay, Beautiful Thief, Ky-lassassin, Qzil, How to Train Your Moosie
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member