The Reviews Lounge
A forum for the Reviews Lounge community, which aims to raise the profile of talented & underreviewed authors. Recommend fics, join in our round robin or challenges or jump into our random but often philosophical conversations... just for fun!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
Cuban Sombrero Gal

So, I decided that since it's been so long since we had a project, and since Nano is almost over, it was time to start a new challenge.

Here's how it works:

1. I have a list of 50 quotes from various people. You pick a number between 1 and 50, and I'll post the corresponding quote, which you then write a fic based on. Once a quote has been taken, that's it.

2. You can swap your quote once (although I can't guarantee your second pick will be any better), just to stop me from revealing too many quotes and spoiling the fun. This is a project about writing a story outside your comfort zone, after all.

3. All characters and pairings are acceptable. Just make sure to put any approrpriate warnings in your fic, for the sake of people who may not have the same tastes as you.\

4. Fics are due on January 26th, but you can turn them in early. The email address is reviewslounge[at] Please tell us your penname and the quote you picked somewhere in the email, as welll as a title you want for your fic.

5. Any questions, just let me know.

11/27/2009 . Edited by TheWordFountain, 11/27/2009 #1

Okay, I'm in need of some inspiration, so I'll give this a go. I'll take #13, please :)

11/27/2009 #2

Sounds like fun~

I'll take #27.

11/27/2009 #3

I'll take #7, please :)

11/27/2009 #4

*takes deep breathe* Oh, lucky number, don't fail me now!

21 (Edit: this number is now free.)

11/27/2009 . Edited 11/29/2009 #5
Polyethene Pam

I'll go for 9.

11/27/2009 #6
Cuban Sombrero Gal

ladia - To say the truth, reason and love keep little company together now-a-days. – William Shakespeare

Nicky - The more one does and sees and feels, the more one is able to do, and the more genuine may be one's own appreciation of fundamental things like home, and love, and understanding companionship. – Amelia Earhart

JacksonFrost - The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing. – Walt Disney

Wordy - (Edit: Wordy has taken this out so then if someone wants to take this number, they won't already know the quote)

11/27/2009 . Edited by TheWordFountain, 11/29/2009 #7
Wendy Brune

#6, please! I'm gonna do this one, fo' reals.

11/27/2009 #8
Cuban Sombrero Gal

Wendy - You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience by which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along. -- Elanor Roosevelt

11/27/2009 #9
Polyethene Pam

*waves at Cubie*

Dude, you forgot about me.

11/28/2009 #10
Cuban Sombrero Gal

Oh shizz, I fail at life. This is why I shouldn't post things in a rush before I got to work (which is also my excuse for why I haven't replied to your PM yet).

SCV - And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. – Abraham Lincoln

And Wordy picked #47 for me (so I couldn't cheat), which is: The most called-upon prerequisite of a friend is an accessible ear. – Maya Angelou

11/28/2009 #11

Sorry, Cubie, but I've taken a lot of thought, and I was thinking that maybe I could do a quote switch.

And yeah, the lucky number failed me. :(

So...Hm...I'll do number...10, please.

11/28/2009 . Edited 11/28/2009 #12
Cuban Sombrero Gal

No problem. And if you like the old one even less, you can keep this one.

#10 - The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. – Martin Luther King Jr

11/28/2009 #13

I'm good with #10 - thank you!! :D

11/29/2009 #14
Riiko Shea

I am in major need of some inspiration... let's see... may I please have 12, if no one's taken it?

11/29/2009 #15
Cuban Sombrero Gal

Riiko - The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. – Winston Churchill

11/29/2009 #16

#48, please and thank you:)

11/30/2009 #17

#48, please and thank you:)

11/30/2009 #18
verity candor

Ooh, number 8 please!

I'm so excited! Finally, back to fanfic!

12/1/2009 #19

Yikes! That one will definitely be a challenge. Oh well, better start getting the ideas flowing :)

12/1/2009 #20
Cuban Sombrero Gal

blueskyshymoon - We can do whatever we wish to do provided our wish is strong enough. ... What do you want most to do? That's what I have to keep asking myself, in the face of difficulties. – Katherine Mansfield

bookworm - Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired. - Robert Frost

12/2/2009 #21
Sadie Lovegood

I will take #37...because it's random.

12/2/2009 #22
Cuban Sombrero Gal

37. Among those whom I like or admire, I can find no common denominator, but among those whom I love, I can: all of them make me laugh. – Jean Giraudox

12/3/2009 #23
Sadie Lovegood

Well, the quote is very appropriate for me. It will be hard....but I shall take it!

12/4/2009 #24

#28, please. My hiatus is over officially starting next Friday, and what better way to rejoin the fandom than this?

12/8/2009 #25

Um, 11, please?

12/10/2009 #26
Cuban Sombrero Gal

Realmer - 28. Love doesn't just sit there, like a stone; it has to be made, like bread, remade all the time, made new. – Ursula K. LeGuin

Relala - 11. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. – Nelson Mandela

12/14/2009 #27
Riiko Shea

I have tried so hard to write a story using my quote, and it's just not working for me... could I maybe switch and take number 42, if no one's taken it? I believe my previous number was 12...

12/17/2009 #28
Cuban Sombrero Gal

Of course. :)

42. All is change; all yields its place and goes. – Euripides

12/17/2009 #29
Riiko Shea

Ah, this I can work with. Thank you!

12/17/2009 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: The Reviews Lounge TheWordFountain, Sadie Lovegood, CharliSMILE, Cuban Sombrero Gal
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member