The Reviews Lounge
A forum for the Reviews Lounge community, which aims to raise the profile of talented & underreviewed authors. Recommend fics, join in our round robin or challenges or jump into our random but often philosophical conversations... just for fun!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
The Reviews Lounge

If you know of a story worthy of shouting about that exceeds our "oneshots with less than 20 reviews, chaptered stories with an average of less than 15 reviews" charter for archiving, don't despair:

Share the love here!

9/1/2008 . Edited 9/1/2008 #1
Sandshrew777

I wasn't entirely sure where to post this, but I read a story on Schnoogle today that was quite wonderful. It has some subtle problems, but it's so very entertaining. It tickled my sense of humor, at least. :)

Here're the details:

Title: That Terrifying Momentum

Author: Caleb Nova

Rating: R (for language, right now...it gets somewhat coarse as you move along, but it's funny)

Summary: "Everything is always shifting, Harry. What's more interesting are the things that stay the same." What you think you know doesn't always coincide with reality. Harry's sixth year at Hogwarts is dramatically altered, for better, and perhaps for worse, by deliberate interference. It's the larger shape you recognize ... but the devil is in the details. An AU take on the sixth year featuring canon pairings.

Link: http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/caleb_nova/TTM01.html

9/19/2008 . Edited 9/19/2008 #2
Elledreamer

Title: Backward with purpose

Author: Deadwoodpecker

Rating: M (though you get warnings of where the M bits feature)

Summary: AU. Harry, Ron, and Ginny send themselves back in time to avoid the destruction of everything they hold dear, and the deaths of everyone they love. This story is now complete! Stay tuned for the sequel!

Link: Backward With Purpose

Yes, it's got over two thousand reviews. But I usually hate time travel fics, and I loved this one. I've not got started on the sequal yet but I will do!!

9/19/2008 #3
Il'Diko

I don't know if this counts as not under reviewed (12 chaps, 170 reviews...), but it's worth of reading if you want a good laugh...

It's a silly, fluffy "ficlet", not for those who can't stand the James/ Lily fluffness... :D

Author: lalas

Title: Why is it Never Easy

Summary: Lily finally gives in to her feelings and impulsively kisses James. James is so shocked that she manages to escape before he has a chance to stop her. This is the story of the gruelling search James has to endure trying to find the suddenly elusive Evans.

Link:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4392234/1/Why_is_it_Never_Easy

Give it a try, "it takes you back to a time before the Marauders-Era was infiltrated by book-seven-induced Snape-Angst"... it's "some good, old fashion, fluffy, funny L/J." (quote from: Floatingbubbles/ The Consequences Of Boredom/ Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4380000/1/The_Consequences_Of_Boredom

9/20/2008 #4
trizfores

Title: Secrets

Author: trizfores (me)

Rating: M

Ship: SS/HG

Genre: Romance/Drama

Chapters: 28

Summary: Hermione isn't who you think she is. Some secrets are about to be revealed.

Reviews: 428

9/24/2008 #5
respitechristopher

Backward with purpose

Word.

Best. Back-in-time. Ever.

9/24/2008 #6
Sara Winters

Title: Magical Contracts

Author: Kalen Darkmoon

Length: (chapters/words) 3,270

Character(s): Harry, Dumbledore, Snape

Summary: In Goblet of Fire, JKR established that it was absurdly easy to bind other witches and wizards unwillingly into binding magical contracts with a simple school taught confundus charm. What if Harry took note of that and decided to do something about it?

Link: Magical Contracts

Title: A Harmonian Way of Life

Author: Seel'vor

Length: (chapters/words) 6,871

Character(s): Harry, Ron, Hermione, Molly Weasley, Remus Lupin

Summary: Tilting the Potterverse onto the path it should have taken post-OotP. Some minor Ron!Bashing. H/Hr. Rating for language.

Link: A Harmonian Way of Life

Title: Caught In The Act!

Author: H.J. Perry

Length: (chapters/words) 1,890

Character(s): Harry, Remus, Sirius, Hermione, James, Lily and an OC

Summary: Harry and Hermione are at his home - at the Potter estate - in Godric's Hollow. And they have a secret.Just a bit of background – this is completely AU which is why I don’t get why I thought of it . James and Lily are alive. so is Sirius COMPLETE, M/F,

Link: Caught In The Act!

9/24/2008 . Edited 9/24/2008 #7
Sandshrew777

This is somewhat of an odd question, but should this topic also include fics that are not in the HP fandom? Or would it be reaching too far? Just a thought I thought I'd bring up.

10/30/2008 #8
Yoshiyuki Ly

I'm still trying to spread the word about my story here, so...

Title: Chauvinistic Coquette

Author: Yoshiyuki Ly

Length/Chapters: 246,099/59 Chapters

How long has it been posted?: Since July 29th

How many reviews does it have?: 901

Characters/pairings: Fleur/Hermione (main focus), Harry/Ron, George, Draco, Gabrielle, the other Weasleys, some minor OCs

Summary: Set post DH, ignores the Epilogue. Hermione is afflicted with a seemingly incurable disease thanks to an odd coincidence that has to do with crying, shields, and Fleur's thrall. Fleur faces a lot of confusion with Hermione's odd behavior, and old scars of her own that take a toll on both women. All in all, the story's a good bit of drama and occasional sexual scenes that eventually stems into a much larger love story following how Hermione is 'cured' of her illness. Alternating POVs, written in the first person.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4432351/1/Chauvinistic_Coquette

11/13/2008 . Edited 11/13/2008 #9
mid20sfan86

Title: Albus Potter and the year of the Badger

Author: Bartimus Crotchety

Rating: K+

Summary: His fears? Flying...his own wand...fitting in...sticking out! His best friends? A passionate fire-breathing cousin, and a cool, aloof Death Eater's son. His House...er...Hufflepuff? Meet the new Trio, Albus Potter, Scorpius Malfoy, and Rose Weasley

Link: Albus Potter and the year of the Badger

It's 29 chapters long, but he (I think it's a he) is almost done. It's a pretty good story and has added creatures in it. Some are half breeds. But if you have time, I recommend it.

11/13/2008 #10
Ariana Ethaitrius

Author :

Yoshiyuki Ly

Title: Chauvinistic Coquette,

I'm not sure of the summary:

Rating: copied from the story

Warnings - Emotions that run high, addiction, twisting and turning of typical roles in subtle and not-so-subtle ways, highs and lows, confusion, distress, and, in other words... SEVERE drama later on.

If you want fluff, skip to chapter 15, read it, then move the hell on. If you want teeth-gritting, hand-wrenching, blood-boiling, infuriating drama, then read on. But it cools off around Part III, so don't trip.

Fiction rated: M

Link:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4432351/1/Chauvinistic_Coquette

It's truely amazing:d

11/13/2008 #11
Il'Diko

A next gen fic...

Title: The Wendell That Wasn't

Author: opalish

Link:The Wendell That Wasn't

Summary: The true story of how Harry and Ginny's kids got their names. Really, it's all Snape's fault. Crackfic oneshot.

This is such an original idea, I don't remember when was the last time I laughed so hystericaly... So, go on, read it! :D:D:D

11/15/2008 #12
hondagirl

Seconding The Wendell That Wasn't

It made me laugh. Despite the fact that I'm still sick and my throat is raw from coughing. :)

11/15/2008 #13
respitechristopher

Link: Albus Potter and the year of the Badger

It's 29 chapters long, but he (I think it's a he) is almost done. It's a pretty good story and has added creatures in it. Some are half breeds. But if you have time, I recommend it.

Seconding, thirding and fourthing this one. It's completed, actually. Bart says he's going to start work on second year after a bit of a break. Bart is also a loyal Mercurial Minion, and therefore The Darke Lorde Albus recommends this fic highly -- even though he feels the sorting is terribly AU ;)

11/15/2008 #14
hondagirl

The Darke Lorde Albus recommends this fic highly -- even though he feels the sorting is terribly AU ;)

*snorts* He would.

(But go read it, its pretty good).

11/15/2008 #15
FirstYear

"Your spawn is evil and must die. Drown it before it turns on us all with destructive, murderous rage." followed by Harry's "Be Nice."

OMG... this is great.

A third for The Wendell That Wasn't

11/23/2008 #16
FirstYear

Read A Sex Ed Lesson for a good laugh... rated M and has over 130 reviews. The date on this shows it was written back to 2003 and is about Snape giving a annual Lesson. Just too funny to pass up.

12/13/2008 #17
mid20sfan86

Surviving the Weasley Twins.

It's one of the best Weasley twin fictions I've read. They are pranksters, but the story is also interesting. It takes place in their first year. It's a series, two more follow it.

The Weasley Twins and the Sect of Kai - It takes place in their second year

and

The Weasley Twins and the Kosa Assassin

Their third year.

1/8/2009 #18
Il'Diko

Title: Harry Potter, Transdimensional Guidance Counselor

Author: opalish

Chapters/ Review: 2 chaps/ 47 reviews

Summary: Part of being Head Auror is tracking down potential future heroes and villains and giving them a good talking-to. Harry really wishes he'd known this ahead of time. Multi-crossover crackfic WIP.

Quote: “Oh, Harry! It’s so good to hear that your pedophilia has limits,” Luna said encouragingly.

There I died laughing... the whole fic is freakin hilarious, I thought I would share it with you. ;)

Link:

Harry Potter, Transdimensional Guidance Counselor

Read it and make your day! :D:D:D

1/10/2009 . Edited 1/10/2009 #19
respitechristopher

I've been reading her "Scorpius Malfoy and the Improbable Plot". Simply amazingly funny, creative, and surreal.

1/10/2009 #20
reimihara21

Title: Harry Potter Spinoff

Author: reimihara21

Chapters/ Review: 15 chapters/16 reviews

Summary: HP in a whole new twisted way. this is hp in my charc. POV and its in 3rd person with my own twist with animes and some movies plus a lot of pairings. looking for a dif HP stry mine might be it.main pairings. dm/oc, hp/oc. enjoy! M stuff later.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4146465/1/Harry_Potter_Spinoff

1/26/2009 #21
Siamh

Thought I should add my two cents.

Author: Miranda Flairgold

Story: A Second Chance at Life

Reviews and Chapters: 3500 reviews and 35 chapters (long chapters)

Rated: M ( No sex, just language, violence, and the usual aka Necromancy and Vampire Stuff)

Summary: When Voldemort’s assassins find him, Harry flees, seeking a place to prepare for the battle. Bloodmagic, wandlessmagic, necromancy, fae, a thunderbird, demons, vampires. Harry finds the strength & allies to win a war.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2488754/1/A_Second_Chance_at_Life

The story has no pairings, so it's a nice break from all the fluff in the air. It also has excellent grammar, spelling, and of course an award worthy plot. The sequel is out, with updates every one or two months (She's working and traveling she said). I recommend this story for a weekend or a day off, once you start reading its hard to stop! Be warned, this story is so original that with a couple of name changes here and there you feel like your reading an original story off of fictionpress.com, also it has a couple of darker aspects to it.

An Excellent read

3/4/2009 #22
Siamh

Sorry, double posted by accident.

3/4/2009 . Edited 3/4/2009 #23
Lalene Brooks

Title: Backward with purpose

Author: Deadwoodpecker

Good read on this one. The sequal has been completed and the third enstallment started (only just though). But quite possibly the best written Time travel fic I have ever read.

(Just thought I'd give an autonomus opinion for people that may have been put off by the author self promoting it..... Well now I am... READ IT!!!!!)

5/30/2009 #24
respitechristopher

may have been put off by the author self promoting it

The author may promote this fic to the high heavens. It's fabulous.

Here's a link.

5/30/2009 . Edited 5/30/2009 #25
debzzz

Title: Fractured Souls and Broken Light

Author: ScarletVampyre

Rating: M (for sexual scenes and language)

Summary: "Because there is always someone to depend on to help fight the demons." It's a slash fic (oneshot) about Sirius and Remus' relationship. It doesn't affect canon (Remus/Tonks is mentioned) and the characterisations are simply astonishing. It's extremely angsty and the best fic I've ever read-especially the part that describes Sirius' stay in Azkaban! If you don't mind slash (and even if you do it's impossible not to cry at the last paragraph) go and read it and tell the author how amazing she is!

Link: Fractured Souls and Broken Light

5/31/2009 #26
EHWIES

Title: Fire & Ice

Author: PlonkerOnDaLoose

Length: 10 chapters, 55767 words

Character(s): Ginny Weasley, Tom Riddle

Summary: “But if I’m fire,” I protested, “and you’re ice, what do we have in common?” Tom smirked, reaching up and twisting a strand of my hair around his finger. “Destruction.” I pressed my knife to his throat, drawing blood. “My feelings exactly.” TR/GW

Link: Fire & Ice

Not just your typical time-travel fic--this is one of the best stories I've seen on this site in a long time.

7/11/2009 #27
lydiamaartin

Title: Defending the DA

Author: Ramos

Length: 5,063

Character(s): Harry Potter

Summary: Harry must answer to the Hogwarts Board of Governors when unusual O.W.L. results bring allegations of cheating.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1810998/1/Defending_the_DA

Amazingly well-written, plausible concept, and Harry, Neville, Hermione, and the rest of the DA get to make the Board of Governors look like fools. Definitely worth a read.

7/12/2009 #28
Violin Ghost

Title: Know The Stakes

Author: Contrarian

Length: 1,285 words

Character(s): Severus Snape and Minerva McGonagall

Summary: Snape makes snide remarks in the staff room, which McGonagall stoically ignores. Or tries to, anyway. Set during Sorcerer's Stone.

Link: Know The Stakes

This was hilarious. It's only 3 above the underreviewed mark, so go ahead and check it out! :)

7/23/2009 #29
jbpottermalfoy123

hey guys! I don't the author cause the the search is down but Black Truth is a good creturefic!! rated t and is a drarry but is amazing!!!! Love jeanie!!

10/24/2009 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: The Reviews Lounge TheWordFountain, Sadie Lovegood, CharliSMILE, Cuban Sombrero Gal
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member