The Reviews Lounge
A forum for the Reviews Lounge community, which aims to raise the profile of talented & underreviewed authors. Recommend fics, join in our round robin or challenges or jump into our random but often philosophical conversations... just for fun!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
The Reviews Lounge

A Little History of the Reviews Lounge

The Reviews Lounge began on April 21, 2007 as a C2 community dedicated to promoting under-reviewed authors and their stories. It has now grown into not only a rather large and very dynamic archive, but also this forum (and we pride ourselves with the fact that in its first year, we were the fastest growing Harry Potter forum on ff.net)

The Reviews Lounge aims to encourage readers to review every story they read, and was formed after I became particularly alarmed at the strange phenomenon which indicated that many people on this site are too lazy to review. Reviews are a very important aspect of posting a story/poem on ff.net, and we encourage each and every one of you to review! You never know when a simple comment, friendly piece of encouragement or a gentle piece of concrit might make someone's day!

Recently, we've moved house. This new forum has been created because the old one was dependent on the account of Lexie-H, who established it, and in order for the RL to grow and expand, it needs an independent base. The old forum can be found here. We're maintaining it, as a monument to how far we've already come!

First off, I would encourage you all to:

1. Subscribe to the community - it is home to many fantastic stories, and we have a constant turnover, so please pop by and review!

2. Add the profile to your author alerts list. this is where we publish collaborative efforts from the people (like you) who populate this forum

Meet the Staff

Lexie, PA and Cuba - Together we run the entire RL - forum and archive (although these days we aren't above delegating). Commonly you'll see us all on the forums quite frequently, and at least one of us is around most days. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to PM us: the links to our profile pages sit at the bottom of every RL forum page!

Sadie - our new addition to the moderation team!

Cassie, Charli, Christopher, Gaby, Katy, Sadie, SCV, Turtle and Wordy - our staff at the archive, who help us sort through all the Recommendations and Requests we receive each week!

Witblogi, our "Official Reviews Lounge Artist" and also the manager of our LiveJournal community!

Caramelboost - she runs our sister-forum on fictionpress, also called the Reviews Lounge

The Reviews Revolution

This was a little movement that began before the RL was even dreamt of - (and we take no credit for it) - however, we encourage you all to join! Simply copy and paste this into your profile, and help spread the word! :

I, [insert name here], do solemnly swear to review all the fics I read, regardless of the number of reviews,

its age, or anything else.

I have joined the review revolution.

Recommending a Story

The Reviews Lounge community only archives Harry Potter stories in the following two categories:

- one shots with less than 20 reviews

- chapter stories with an average of less than 15 reviews per chapter

However, any and every story is quite welcome to be recommended on the appropriate forum topic. Just let us know if it isn't in the running for being archived!

Once a story in the C2 community archive has fulfilled its review limit, it will be moved to another C2 community, The Reviews Lounge Recommendations. I encourage you all to also go and have a look at this archive!

When you read a story and decide to recommend it, I encourage you to mention you will be recommending it in your review. Not only will it help spread the word about this place, it is a great encouragement to authors to hear that you have enjoyed their story so much!

Please note: just because you recommend or request that we review a story does not mean it gains automatic entry to the archive

Challenges

Here in the forum, we have a number of challenges going. They are created by you guys, and open to anyone who wishes to participate.

There are no deadlines for the challenges. They remain open indefinitely. We only ask that if you do partake in a challenge, let us know by posting the details to your story in the Challenge Submissions thread.

The Reviews Lounge Projects

Every now and then, the staff will open a new project; this generally involves releasing a prompt and inviting people to contribute by making a claim on a character or pairing, and writing a story. Stories are submitted to the , our official email, and posted on our profile as a collaborative project. Past collaborative projects can be found posted on our profile!

Creation of New Topics

Moderators are the only ones who can make topics. This stems from the creation of topics by several individuals in the old forum in direct violation of what was requested. SO if you'd like a new topic, request it!

Deletion of Old, Unused Topics

If a topic is well and truly dead - as in, a) if it has been sitting at the bottom of the list for a month or more without any response - or b) if the topic comes under the criteria of what I shall call a 'lazy topic' (one that has not garnered much response, or only occasional bursts of interest), or c) it is a completely pointless exercise to continue it, then we reserve the right to delete it. This forum on occasion becomes very cluttered, and it is necessary to have a constant turnover of topics.

Similarly, we reserve the right to lock any topic we choose

News

Occasionally, if there's something interesting happening that we think you should know about, a new post will appear in this topic. Feel free to comment (if you wish) but any irrelevant conversations WILL be deleted from this topic.

Other Reviews Lounge stuff

• Fictionpress is home to a Reviews Lounge forum too!

• We also have a livejournal community, thanks to Wit!

• Wit has also created a Photobucket account which is home to some of her icons. If you have made something you would like to share with us, just ask Wit, or anyone else who knows the password to the account, and they will put it up there for you, giving you full credit of course.

General Forum Ettiquette

We are very proud to say that the overall conduct on this forum has this far been exemplary. This administrator has not once received a complaint regarding conduct in this forum! While we congratulate you all for your good behaviour, we figure there will be no harm in pointing out the obvious, that being:

Abuse of other forum members is unacceptable. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You have no right to pass personal comments on other people unless you are invited to, and any debates that descend into personal slinging matches will be deleted. if this becomes a consistent occurrence, we do have the means to kick you out of the forum. You have been warned.

• Whilst the offensive language filter is on, this does not mean that you are invited to lose your manners. Offensive posts will be deleted. Play nicely!

• We encourage you all to partake in the correct use of the English language on this forum - spelling, grammar, etc. So don't be lazy, please!

Sometimes, we create topics that function for a single purpose only. For example, Introduce Yourself, which as the name suggests, is an introductory topic. If you want to discuss something, do it elsewhere. Anyone who persists in disregarding this rule will find their inappropriate posts deleted.

Thank you for your cooperation!

9/1/2008 . Edited 6/30/2009 #1
The Reviews Lounge

A General Note on Involvement

Occasionally, someone comes up with a wonderful new idea or innovative way to broaden our Reviews Lounge audience. Thanks for your suggestions, and really, we love that you care enough to get involved!!

That said, if you do have an idea which involves taking the Reviews Lounge concept to a new breadth, height or depth (read, new place on the internet) PLEASE ASK US FIRST. 99% of the time, the answer will be yes, but we would appreciate it if you could find the time to extend us this simple courtesy. The staff work very hard to keep this concept as tight and efficient and effective as possible, and as a testament to our hard work, we would like the RL to reflect our efforts completely.

Thank you!

9/1/2008 #2
The Reviews Lounge

Regarding the Archive

It's not uncommon to receive PM and other requests, asking us to archive a story. In fact, it happens so often that we now have a general procedure.

It isn't rocket science.

If you'd like your story/if you think someone elses' story deserves to be included, post the details (story name, author, link - characters/summary if you like) on the Recommend and Request topic.

If you contact us in any alternative way, this is what we'll tell you.

Why?

Because there is to some extent a quality control on the archive. It isn't particularly strenuous, but it is useful to have the details of all the stories in one, single place so that they can all be (for lack of a better word) assessed equally.

Also, posting your information on that topic might just attract you a little attention in itself. It isn't uncommon for our members to scan those links and read something that takes their fancy!

Third great reason: by posting the details up in the open topic, you're three times as likely to have a mod look at it sooner! (This is because then, all three of us have access to it, and not just one).

If anyone has questions, ideas or general feedback about the Reviews Lounge, please feel free to pose them here!

(Random conversations will be deleted)

9/1/2008 #3
The Reviews Lounge

Something to think about

We've always been a forum that prides itself on being all inclusive. That said, if you want to participate, please do be aware that not everyone shares your views. Opinions are one thing, but imposing them on others is not on. Nor is pursuing conversations that cause others certain levels of discomfort.

This is a general message, not targeted at anyone in particular. I just ask you all to take this into account!

9/1/2008 #4
The Reviews Lounge

A Note on Forum Etiquette:

This is for general reference, but especially for a few of the newer faces!

1. Please use proper grammar and spelling. We'll forgive you if you make a typo, but please make the effort!

2. If you're quoting back, use the appropriate 'quote' option in the Styles drop-down menu on your reply window. OR, if your browser doesn't support this, flank the thing you want to quote with this code: [q] at the beginning, and [/q] at the end!

3. If you're consciously clicking 'reply' to your own post - ie. posting two things in a row, please instead go to 'Mod' and select edit, and add what you have to say there. It's a lot easier than a sequence of monologues. Sometimes, posting two things in a row happens by accident, but especially if you're in a 'slower' topic, please follow this!!

4. We want our new home to be a happy, friendly, welcoming place. So if you're stopping by for the purposes of annoying/picking on one of the posters here, please refrain and leave (and don't laugh, this has happened). By the same token, anyone who's a regular here - please refrain from doing this in other forums, it's not very nice!!!

9/1/2008 #5
Cuban Sombrero Gal

On Modding:

I do have a few people in mind for this task, but to make this fair, I'm opening it up for consideration. If you're interested, just PM me and let me know, but I will be making the final decision based on people I know and can trust. Sadie is automatically going to be mod for this new forum, and I'm offering Lexie the chance to mod for the introduction period if she's interested. Obviously beyond that, our temp mods - SCV, Turtle and Charli - are first in line, but I'll consider everyone else as well. :)

Also, I'd like to say a big thanks to Lexie for starting the concept of this place: we all owe you so much, and on behalf of everyone: thank you.

9/1/2008 #6
The Reviews Lounge

Turtle and SCV, if you're still interested in modding, here's your invite codes: 0d589 (Turtle), c340c (SCV). If you're not interested, just let me know and I'll remove you.

Everyone else, I'm still accepting your PMs, because I will be adding another mod or two in the not so distant future. =)

Oh, and I wouldn't be too bothered with trying to use those codes, because they only work for people I ask to mod.

9/3/2008 #7
Gaby Black

Joining in to thanks Lexie, for this fantastic place and being a great writer and helpful reviewer/occasional betareader.

Back to business.. if I understood it well, all the fics in the new archive were added by Lexie, right? That means the only person who can graduate them is Cuba with the RL's account (or Lexie herself), right?

Lily's Light and Bedtime Stories are ready to graduate!

9/3/2008 #8
Polyethene Pam

Gaby, I'm guessing anyone with the pass to The Reviews Lounge account can remove it. Which brings me to a question -

Do mods get the pass to the account?

9/3/2008 #9
Cuban Sombrero Gal

Of course. Just give me a few minutes and I'll PM it to you.

9/3/2008 #10
The Reviews Lounge

*goes off to graduate stories*

9/3/2008 #11
CharliSMILE

*Cough* Cubie? I can't be bothered PMing you. Do be good and mod crown me.

9/3/2008 #12
The Reviews Lounge

Yeah. I think I've made my final decision - I'll just wait a little while to see if anyone else is interested.

Edit: There's your code - f9fda

9/3/2008 . Edited 9/3/2008 #13

*is mod crowned to triumphant music*

I love you Cubie. I promise to make the RL proud. :)

9/3/2008 #14
Dejsha

*hopes for mod crown*

9/3/2008 #15
Gaby Black

Thanks Cuba for the password, should make things easier :)

9/3/2008 #16
fauves

yay we have new mods! xD I think I'll pass on it though, I'm quite busy at the moment and I'm already modding another forum so yeah. =] I'll still post on here though.

9/3/2008 #17
TheWordFountain

So have all the mods been picked?

9/3/2008 #18
Polyethene Pam

I think so, Wordy - You can PM Cubie though, cause I'm not 100% sure.

9/3/2008 #19
TheWordFountain

Hm...I'll ask just to be sure. Thanks SCV!

By the way, c.sheep brought to my attention that there are two Introduce Yourself topics. :D One isn't flagged, and is at the bottom. Just thought I'd post this here!

9/3/2008 . Edited 9/3/2008 #20
The Reviews Lounge

Thanks Wordy! I'll take care of it.

9/3/2008 #21
Cassandra's Cross

Guys, for those of you who know mackgirl, she just posted a notice over on the SU forum that her sister was killed in a car accident this morning. A PM letting her know that she's in your thoughts and prayers might be appreciated at such a time.

9/5/2008 #22
Dejsha

How awefulllllllll:(

I don't know exactly what she's going through, but i lost a cousin 3 years ago, and a close friend Sophie the other day.

I just have to keep going. But i've never experienced anything like that:(

But it will be very hard especially since it's her sister:(:(:(:(

9/5/2008 #23
Cuban Sombrero Gal

Aww. That's horrible... I don't know her overly well, but she seems like a wonderful person and I really feel sorry for her. I'll let her know, and thanks for telling us Cassie.

9/5/2008 #24
Dejsha

Thanks so much for telling us:* we really appreciate it:(

9/5/2008 #25
Girl with the Yellow Umbrella

Just a casual reminder for everyone who hasn't already done so: if you have a link to the RL forum in your profile, you may want to update it with the new addie!! =) The strength of this forum has always been that it's been spread by word of mouth, and ... well, we want to spread the right word, right??

9/6/2008 . Edited 9/6/2008 #26
Polyethene Pam

I edited all the links on our profile, btw.

9/7/2008 #27
The Reviews Lounge

Thanks so much, SCV.

Anyway....

Mods

I've finally decided on our final moderator, so can you put your hands together (or virtually clap), for Katy (Bad Mum). Your invite code is: dba5a

A big thanks to everyone else who nominated themselves, thanks so much for being involved, and if we ever get so desperate that temp mods are necessary, you guys will be first in line for the job.

My Hiatus

For those of you've who've been lucky enough to be spared my incessant rambling, I'm going to Japan from September 16th until the beginning of October. Unfortunately, I have to find time to pack, and study for exams, so I'm going to be starting my hiatus anywhere from September 13th onwards.

Lexie has kindly agreed to help our mods out if they desperately need advice, although I'm sure they'll all do a great job. All the other mods have access to the RL profile in case of emergencies, so I'm sure this forum will run smoothly without me (although I will miss you guys, of course). If you need anything answered while I'm gone, they're your people to see.

9/7/2008 #28
Bad Mum

~is honoured~

Thanks Cuba.

9/7/2008 #29
Cuban Sombrero Gal

You're welcome. I know you'll do a brilliant job. :)

9/7/2008 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: The Reviews Lounge TheWordFountain, Sadie Lovegood, CharliSMILE, Cuban Sombrero Gal
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member