Romeo and Juliet
Feel out of place in the real world? Notice that no one seems to want to put up with your intellectual thoughts on Romeo and Juliet? Then this is the place for you where we shall discuss, apreciate and banter on about Romeo and Juliet.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
Desert Fallow

"Two households, both alike in dignity, In fair Verona, where we lay our scene, From ancient grudge break to new mutiny, Where civil blood makes hands unclean. From forth the fatal loins of these two foes A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life; Whole misadventured piteous overthrows Do with their death bury their parents strife. The fearful passage of their death-mark'd love, And the continuance of their parents' rage, Which, but their children's end, nought could remove, Is now the two hours' traffic of our stage; The which if you with patient ears attend, What here shall miss, our toil shall strive to mend."

-- William Shakespeare; Romeo and Juliet, Act 1 Prologue.

Above is the verse uttered by the Chorus in which is brings about the plot of the play. Explaining where it is set, the main characters and their part in the play, the feud between the two families and basically underlining the whole story. It also - in the second-third line of the prologue - it tells the listeners and the crowd watching of how long the first act will go for (two hours) and a reassurance that if someone speaks and you have no idea what's going on it is in assurance that you will pick it up sooner rather than later through the actors on stage who will utter something in explanation.

9/11/2008 . Edited 9/11/2008 #1
Syrah-Celeste

Yay! someone who likes this play!

10/31/2008 #2
Desert Fallow

I know right, hardly anyone wants to talk about it though which sucks. But I love Shakespeare he was absolutely fantastic and even though there's that small underlying of the fact that he plagarised off a lot of people, he was still good. Because he made the play his own and also he created words that we now have today because of him. Like the word "bubble" and "asp". So that's pretty awesome I think, he also created some others but I can't remember.

However, I like the first part of this book it's good. Especially how we see Romeo's image of love change from Rosaline to Juliet.

11/3/2008 #3
Syrah-Celeste

noones reviewed my story! i guess there just arent enough tybalt/juliet fans!

11/5/2008 #4
xxxMAX IN DA HOUSExxx

Hell yeah!

Shakespeare rocks!

=)

11/25/2008 #5
The Bagel of Justice

I know no one's been on in a while, but what the hey? My studies in Shakespeare began in 4th grade, where I was struck down when a friend 5 years older than me causually mentioned how many shakespeare quotes we used dailey. My intrest in it really grew when I read the book Romeo's Ex for fun and then Dating Hamlet. Both books were about the famous Shakespearian plays only told from Roseline and Ophelia's perspective. I was enraptured, and soon began reading all the Shakespeare I could. I now really like theater, thanks to my favorite plays all of which are by Shakespeare (Except Wicked and Phantom of the Opera...Maybe Fiddler on the Roof, for sentimental reasons.)

I suggest the books I mentions for enthusists of the arts.

8/1/2009 #6
Foxsword

Hey guys. Wait a sec...no one's here...Cool, Toaster, I'll look up those books in the library, they sound interesting.

I like those plays, too!

8/22/2009 #7
Foxsword

Hey guys. Wait a sec...no one's here...Cool, Toaster, I'll look up those books in the library, they sound interesting.

I like those plays, too!

8/22/2009 #8
The Bagel of Justice

Nah, I'm here. I keep a close eye on any forums I've ever participated in. They are quite interesting, and you could find reviews of them online to see if they're your thing.

And please, call me Bri.

8/23/2009 #9
Foxsword

sure, Bri, "Toaster" wouldn't be a decent nickname anyway. I guess you can call me Fox. Any other forums that have more than two people talking on them? preferably Shakespeare ones?

8/24/2009 #10
The Bagel of Justice

I don''t know, honestly. Most of my forums are for books but we could look...

8/24/2009 #11
Foxsword

Yeah...I like a lot of books too.

YES! my library has those books. I'll let you know once I'm finished with them; that'll give us something to actually TALK about on this forum.

8/24/2009 #12
The Bagel of Justice

Rightio! Romeo's ex was my favorite.

8/24/2009 #13
Foxsword

well, I can't wait to read it then.

8/24/2009 #14
motherpucker

Romeo and Juliet is my favourite Shakespeare play - it's an amazing, beautiful tragedy. People think it's so hard to read, or boring, when they haven't even read it, but it's not. The words flow so well, the story is still so well known to this day.

Truly, the greatest love story of all time!

6/4/2010 #15
pigirl314

I had to read Romeo and Juliet for class in ninth grade and no one in my class liked it, including me. I had a fine time understanding what the characters were saying and what was going on, but the characters, in my opinion, are ridiculous. Do you know any teenagers who want to get married after the first date? I don't, but if I did I would definitely question their sanity.

8/6/2010 #16
Arianllyn146

Hi!! I've been looking for a forum like this... would anyone mind if I said which character I like the most (and wish I could play, but, being a girl, would never be chosen to play...!)

8/26/2010 #17
pigirl314

Which character may that be?

8/26/2010 #18
beautifulfallenvampire

I am so glad I found this forum because when I read this in class I was the only one who really payed attention to it and I loved it! My best friend loved it too and my nickname is Juliet because I am a lot like her.We both have the same type of families and we have an impossible love story too...And i really loved Romeo...I had a crush on him and all of his friends but mostly Romeo because I wished that someone like him would fall in love with me but I am doubtful it will ever happen. I still listen to music from the movie sometimes.

1/21/2011 #19
Arianllyn146

That character might be Mercutio, Pigirl314!!!!!

1/23/2011 #20
pigirl314

To Arianllyn, I find it hilarious that you responded five months later.

Anyway. Mercutio? That's cool. He's a funny guy, but I guess too immature. Even the teenage guys I know don't act like that. I like Paris. He may seem like some nasty pedophile, but he's just some guy who was arranged to marry a girl whom he genuinely cared about. Not like Romeo, who just seems to like Juliet based on looks only.

To fallenvampire, are you legit? You sound all troll-y.

1/28/2011 #21
beautifulfallenvampire
Yes, I. Am legitimate. I am sorry if I sounded like a troll...
1/28/2011 #22
pigirl314

Oh, okay. It's just that you said:

I am so glad I found this forum because when I read this in class I was the only one who really payed attention to it and I loved it! My best friend loved it too and my nickname is Juliet because I am a lot like her.We both have the same type of families and we have an impossible love story too...And i really loved Romeo...I had a crush on him and all of his friends but mostly Romeo because I wished that someone like him would fall in love with me but I am doubtful it will ever happen. I still listen to music from the movie sometimes.

It sounds kinda trolly because you kinda sound like one of those people who imitate annoying, naive, thirteen-year-old girls. No offense.

1/28/2011 #23
beautifulfallenvampire
I kind of agree with you on some things you said before about Mecrutio and Paris. Romeo's friends could be really immature at times and it made me realize that the boys from today are not that different from those in the Renaissance. They still look for the same things. It was almost a relief because I have always wanted to live in that time period but really it is almost the same thing except that the gender roles are more defined and we are more flexible with it now. What really annoyed me was Gregory and Sampson at the beginning because they were being pereverted in the play and I thought it was kind of wasted. They should have talkee about something more serious. But I still really love Romeo because he was incredibly sweet and caring.
1/28/2011 #24
pigirl314

Wait, you wanted Gregory and Sampson to talk about something serious? Do you know what normal teenage conversation sounds like? I've never heard anyone talk about serious stuff. "Hey, don't you think the US should adopt a better health care plan?" Ridiculous. Gregory and Sampson reminded me of two modern boys talking about who is more gangsta. That was like the only part I really liked in the play.

I did not interpret Romeo as "incredibly sweet and caring." All he did the whole time was lust over Capulet girls! First it was just, "Oh, Rosaline doesn't love me. Wangst." Then it was. "Oh, I'm so in love with Juliet. More wangst."

And why would you think of living in the time Romeo and Juliet was set in? It was dirty and gross. It's not how people like to romanticize it as.

1/30/2011 #25
pigirl314

What really annoyed me was Gregory and Sampson at the beginning because they were being pereverted in the play and I thought it was kind of wasted.I just thought about something. I've seen exactly two Shakespeare comedies live, and the adults are super perverted. Since the first three acts or so of Romeo and Juliet are basically a comedy, shouldn't perverted characters be expected?

4/9/2011 #26
JadeHound
Romeo x Juliet = Awesome and romantic couple XD
10/31/2011 #27
Narwhalphonse

"I did not interpret Romeo as "incredibly sweet and caring." All he did the whole time was lust over Capulet girls! First it was just, "Oh, Rosaline doesn't love me. Wangst." Then it was. "Oh, I'm so in love with Juliet. More wangst.""

Amen to that! Romeo and Juliet was definitely not Shakespeare's best work. The impulsiveness of the two main characters was overdone to the extreme, and it was a little emo. IMO, Julius Caesar is infinitely better than R&J.

12/29/2011 #28
wouldsomebody

Arianllyn, there's hope for you yet. I'm a girl, and I've been cast as Mercutio :)

It's actually not that uncommon, apparently. o_O

1/2/2012 #29
annabel lauza

You're right! In fact I myself also loves this play.

5/16/2012 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: Desert Fallow
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member