Flying
A place to talk about "Across The Universe", the songs, the characters, and anything else that comes to mind!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Freebird87

It kind of annoys me to see stories about Mary-sues meeting the Beatles. I come here to read stories related to Across the Universe.

5/29/2010 #1
Sakura123

That's what I was wondering. If I recall correctly, fanfiction based on real persons are not allowed. It's in the guidelines (especially when you have to re-read them to post a story). So why hasn't FF.Net done anything about this persisting problem?

11/9/2010 . Edited 11/9/2010 #2
Warina-Kinomoto

That's what I complainend about three days ago. And I used that same argument you did: fanfiction.net doesn't allow real person slash.

It's a complete disrespect, no?

11/10/2010 #3
Warina-Kinomoto

That's what I complainend about three days ago. And I used that same argument you did: fanfiction.net doesn't allow real person slash.

It's a complete disrespect, no?

11/10/2010 #4
Sakura123

It is disrespectful (this isn't LiveJournal.com, where the stuff is running rampant), especially to the group of persons/band the fanfiction is based upon. (They're real people, not fictional characters made up in someone's mind for TV, books or movies.) However, Fanfiction.Net has become so apathetic toward spammers, trolls and rule breakers (like Hans von Hozel, who has over 200+ spam stories in every damn category you can think of, this one especially) that you could report them for a straight 12 months into the next year and they wouldn't do anything about it. That alone says a lot about who's monitoring this place nowadays.

11/10/2010 . Edited 11/10/2010 #5
Warina-Kinomoto

Oh hell, I like reading RPF but I know it's very direspecting for those people, and I completely agree with you. I know I sound ambigous but at the same time I like reading it, I know it's disrespectful.

This website is not what it used to be that's why I don't visit it as much as I used to. I remember back in 2004 and 2005 that when a fic had broken the rules in the next week or in the next month it was gone, banned! They used to keep watch on those people but nowdays, as you said, they don't do anything about it.

When those Beatles stories started comming up I didn't pay much thought because I thought they were going to be gone on the next month at least. And this week I go into here looking for some ATU fics to read and all I can find is Beatles.

Yes, I can use the search engine but there are a lot of stories you miss doing that. It's just like going to a cd store. The fun thing to do is to look one by one for something you might like. And you know that when you don't do it you can be missing a lot of good cds that you'd know about them if you searched one by one. Does that makes sense? =P

I really miss how fanfiction.net was on 2004-2006. SO much better. In 2007 they still deleted some things that were against the rule (at least on the categories I went), on 2008 that got rare, and last year and this year they completely gave up. It's sad really. And it's us who has to pay the price with all those horrible mary-sue Beatles fics...

11/10/2010 #6
Freebird87

I had go skip through 4 pages just to find an ATU fic.

6/12/2011 #7
Victoria Harrison

Why do you care???? If you don't like us writing about the beatles, DON'T READ THEM! Find the one related too your charecters and read those but quite bashing ours!

8/2/2011 #8
Freebird87

I don't care if you write about the Beatles. Just don't put them in the ATU section.

I don't read the Beatles fics. But I don't like having to skip 4 pages to find an ATU fic.

8/2/2011 #9
Victoria Harrison

Well, Us beatle writers seem too be writing more than ATU writers. If there were ppl that cared about writing ATU, they would be writing the storys but it seems that not may ppl care.

8/12/2011 #10
Freebird87

But Beatle stories don't belong in the ATU section. They don't even belong on this site.

8/12/2011 #11
Warina-Kinomoto

I completely agree with you Freebird87. My problem is not with the Beatles's stories themselves but with the issue that people are posting them in the WRONG category and in the WRONG website. If you want to write stories about the Beatles, fine, good for you!, just don't post them here because this is NOT where they belong. It doesn't matter if there isn't as much Across the Universe fics in here as it used to be, but this is an Across the Universe category and not a Beatles one, and I think it's a disrespect with us who wants to find only the movie's fics. And besides, ff. doesn't allow RP fanfiction, however due to bad management those stories are passing.

Unfortunately the people in (at least the ones I had contact) have no capacity to understand those points, so this bad situation will just keep going. Because in my opinion both parties loose... we have to skip three hundred pages to find an Across the Universe fic, and the Beatles writers have to listen to us bitching about... =/

8/12/2011 #12
CheesetothePower

I clicked on the AtU section, and on the first page there was literally FIVE stories about the characters from the movie in the first five pages. That is four percent. The rest were stories about the Beatles. There weren't even stories about the AtU characters mingling with the Beatles. Meaning over 95% of stories in the first five pages for AtU fan fiction is not actually AtU fan fiction. There are a group of people who want to see actual AtU fan fiction, not stories about probably self-insert OC's meeting the Beatles and them getting redo's of their lives.

One summary goes:

Michelle's 18 years old. She Never expected to be pulled up During a Beatle concert. She Didn't Expect falling in love with Paul McCartney Either.

How does that not scream of a fangirl fantasy? They weren't even touring though most of the time the movie takes place. At best, they did some shows at the very edges of the timeframe of the movie.

8/15/2011 #13
Victoria Harrison

Well without The Beatles creating the song "Across The Universe." YOUR show would have never been made. So if it wasn't for the beatles, ATU would not exist! So think about that for a while and then complain about it!

8/15/2011 #14
CheesetothePower

I love the Beatles. I just don't like having to search through dozens of fantasies to find a few measly stories about some characters from a movie in an area of a website set aside for fan fiction of said movie. Why not go over to LiveJournal or create your own website for the stuff. Believe it or not, the AtU section was created for fan fiction about the movie.

8/15/2011 #15
CheesetothePower

Also, the logic that you are presenting can be used for just about any major person in entertainment. Pick one actor/actress. Decide you want to write a fan fiction on their life. Would you put that story in the fandom of something they worked on/unbeatably in the most direct way possible provided the bases for, or would you put it a blog?

Say you wrote a fan fiction about the real historical pirate Black Beard, would you put it in the the Pirates of the Caribbean section because they also had a character based on him, or would you find some random other place on the internet to put it?

How about if you, say, wrote something about the actress Molly Ringwald. Would it belong in The Breakfast Club section? How about The Secret Life of the American Teenager?

Yes, the Beatles' music was used for the movie. But beyond the music, which had all been written and recorded by them DECADES before Across the Universe was ever put into production, the Beatles had nothing to do with the making of the movie. They didn't even legally have the rights to songs anymore, Michael Jackson had obtained them. Mr. McCartney and Mr. Starr could have yelled and screamed as loudly as they could about the movie being an insulting bastardization of their and their former bandmates work or wanting to be an important part of production, and the studio could easily kick them to the curb about it if they wanted.

Posting stuff about the Beatles here makes about as much sense as posting something about Beethoven in, if it existed, the section for Disney's Fantasia.

8/15/2011 #16
Warina-Kinomoto

Oh don't even go there. Don't start. This is the weakest and most ridiculous childish reason you can give me why Beatles stories should be posted here.

It's the same thing if I wrote a Star Trek story and posted them on the Star Wars category, because the only thing they have in common is space. If you were a Star Wars fan wouldn't you be pissed? This is basically what you're saying to us: I can post Beatles stories on the AtU section because they have songs in common.

What is that you Beatles writers find difficult to understand? Our problem is that you're all posting them on the WRONG CATEGORY. Because fanfiction here must be based on AtU movies and second, AtU is a sub-category of MOVIES. Not BAND. And oh yes, there isn't a band category, because real person fiction is not allowed! I don't wanna be rude but it's not difficult to understand... =/

8/15/2011 #17
Warina-Kinomoto

Thank you very much 8D

I honestly don't know what's the difficulty in understanding that!

8/15/2011 #18
CheesetothePower

Look at the the content guidelines set up for the site:

Entries not allowed:

1. Non-stories: lists, bloopers, polls, previews, challenges, author notes, and etc.

2. One or two liners.

3. MST: comments inserted in between the flow of a copied story.

4. Stories with non-historical and non-fictional characters: actors, musicians, and etc.

5. Any form of interactive entry: choose your adventure, second person/you based, Q&As, and etc.

6. Chat/script format and keyboard dialogue based entries.

Take a closer look at rule number four:

4. Stories with non-historical and non-fictional characters: actors, musicians, and etc.

The point is that the website was set up for fan fiction of stories, not actual people.

8/16/2011 #19
Victoria Harrison

You no what... This is not worth my time. I dont car what ya'll think, Will countinue too post storys as long as we like. Please do not contact anymore

8/20/2011 #20
CheesetothePower

If you try to deny us and make us the bad guys, at least use proper grammer. There is an apostrophe missing in "dont," "car" is a noun meaning a vehicle, not a verb. "Will" is improperly capitalized and missing a pronoun, "countinue" is misspelled. You wrote "too," which is a preposition, when you wrote your verb. You also forgot to put a period at the end. I almost forgot, you used "no" when you should have used "know," "ya'll" is not a real word, and you should have spelt "stories" or since "storys" is technically not a word either.

What do you mean when you write "Please do not contact anymore?" This is a forum, not a bunch of people sending you personal messages. We're not contacting you in particular, we're asking why people are writing stuff about of a band in a place to write about a movie.

8/20/2011 #21
Warina-Kinomoto

If this is not worth your time why did you came here in the first place?

Your answer just proves that me, CheesetothePower, and Freebird and everyone who is complaining in here about Beatles fics are right to complaint. Admiting that we're right and we have proofs of that hurt?

Victoria, nobody is forcing you to answer our posts so what's with the "please do not contact anymore"? This is a forum and we'll write what we want, at anytime we want. We have to endure those Beatles stories and now we can't use the forum? Please, do us all a favor and grow up.

8/20/2011 #22
Freebird87

One of these days, I'm going to write an actual ATU story and post it here. It will be one step closer to how the ATU section should be.

10/20/2011 #23
The Nowhere Girl

Okay everyone calm down.

I'm gonna try and be the middle man, so please don't tear me down okay?

So starting on this site, I was originally in Ouran High School Host Club which is a popular anime/manga. And when I started reading ATU fiction, I hadn't seen the movie at the time. Had I not been attracted to the Beatles stories, I would have never been compelled to see the movie.

And starting as a Beatles writer, this format is a lot easier to understand than livejournal. I tried using it...but still can't quite understand it. So convenience and easily understood ways to search, post and go through stories may be one reason.

However, on the opposing side, it is kind of disrespectful to put these stories in the ATU section. When you go to read ATU fiction you go to read ATU fiction. I totally understand. I actually now post more in DeviantART than here because every time I post here I feel kinda bad...and no one comments much anyway. I mean, it is kinda ridiculous to go through a bunch of stories about the Beatles when ya just wanna read about Jude and Max, ya know?

The best thing is that we try to see things from the other person's point of view before we say things that are too hurtful or mean. Let's try to calm down and not be at each other's throats, okay?

Thank you,

~Sarah

1/12/2012 #24
CheesetothePower

I get what you're saying, Nowhere Girl. The thing is, for some reason I think I wouldn't have as much of a problem if people even went to adapting the stories within the Beatles music such as Rocky Racoon and Eleanor Rigby instead of RPF.

1/14/2012 #25
The Nowhere Girl

Well I do understand, ya know. And to be quite honest, the RPF isn't the best on here.

1/14/2012 #26
A Vulcan's Kiss

Although no one has commented on this forum in a while, I would like to put my bit in.

I love Across the Universe, I really do. Mostly I love Jude and Max, but that doesn't matter. One thing that is depressing is when I go onto this archive and the first whole page isn't about them. First time I did, I was just chill about it. Not everyone loves Jude or Max, or both of them. I get that.

The only way I got into FanFiction was because of The Beatles. The first stories I ever read were Beatle stories, back when there wasn't even 200 stories in this archive. I will say, that I've read over 80% of the Beatle stories on this archive. Honestly, I only liked two authors. One has left this archive because of the reason you guys have made this forum. Beatle related fanfictions do not belong here, and the stories are recycled.

Of the two authors, I like one story because although the plot had been used many times before. Her writing style was very unique and the story, unrealistic as they all are, was an amusing read. The other because it wasn't about a girl getting with one of The Beatles, but about a family. Which has been the only one I've seen on here.

I will openly say I am a hypocrite to my words, I know I shouldn't post here and it is against the rules. Though, I never read any more stories about The Beatles, except for one, which is by one of the two authors I enjoy. I have posted here before, all my stories I have removed, and prayed for people to forget. I have only one posted, which is a totally original plot, and is pretty diverse compared to the other stories it lives with. It doesn't even feature any girls in it, especially girls going in the past or Beatles going into the future. The only reason I have posted it is to try and get people to change and because I enjoy the idea.

The ATU world has been soiled with very obviously, recycled stories, which are mostly just people living fantasies through their characters. Whether or not they want to admit it, it is true. Personally, I would enjoy reading stories about Jude and Max more then John and Paul going at it or being unfaithful to their wives. We all know that is completely unrealistic, as are all the RPF on this archive. Sadly, people think that disclaimers will protect them, but I believe they won't. I have seen a few stories get deleted and banned from this site, and this archive, because of all of our reasons listed.

Alas, our complaints, points, and arguement haven't changed anything. People are going to continue posting their Beatle FanFiction's here until they all get deleted. I will too, but mine shall never be about a girl getting with a Beatle.

To all people who write these stories, do not get offended. From myself at the least. I believe we all have heard the saying "Stick and stones may break my bones, but words and looks will never hurt me." Which is entirely true, I am not saying, we as human beings, are devoid of feelings. But merely that everything we feel from words, is an interpretation. I am saying this, and that is it. Do not take it as a protest, or a hate towards you. Birds with the ability to fly, fly. That is good nor bad, it simply is. Please do not say "If you don't like our stories, do not read them!" Then add in a couple insults or exclamation points. Obviously, if we don't like your stories we won't read them. But to find stories we will enjoy, want to read, and love, we are forced to glimpse your summaries, titles, etc.

I have visited this archive many times, I've avoided it on purpose too. More as an experiment. Between 6 months ago and now, I've read zero summaries, zero stories, zero anything from this section. 6 months ago I read many stories and many summaries, I have read many now. Frankly, detecting any differences is very hard. It is all around the same plot, just with personal quirks and twists. A new name, a new hair color, but it's all the same.

I enjoy writing Beatle fics and reading a select few Beatle fics. But I could see them all deleted and not shed a tear. For what would remain is what is meant to be. That of which is Across the Universe stories, which should be the only thing here. I do know there are methods of finding stories of ATU here, but honestly. I shouldn't have to search "Jude and Max" in the Search Bar to find any. I shouldn't have to scan through page, after page of summaries to find one.

I believe if the people here, really, really do enjoy writing and reading these type of stories. They will find another website to post them on, learn how to use it, and stop posting here. LiveJournal may be hard for some people, I don't understand it myself. But if you really do enjoy writing, you will work it out and be smart about it. You'll expand your horizon and your IQ Level (Not that any one person's IQ Level is low.) and learn how to use it. Deviantart could work for some. Whatever website it may be, just do it. Understand it isn't a hate toward anyone, but the rules. The stories do not belong here, it's not my rule, but it is what it is. You, me and everyone else just have to grow up, and deal with it. It's as simple as that.

6/13/2012 #27
CheesetothePower

Applauds to you, 80icrazy80. You wrote a rational argument about the RPF in the AtU section, addressing the reasons around both sides and managing make your choice of sides clear without trolling.

8/16/2012 #28
Warina-Kinomoto

80icrazy80, you're probably one the most reasonable persons on this thread. Your comment made my day =)

8/18/2012 #29
Forum Moderators: ksjdfalsjdfskd
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member