Hate Twilight? Here's the Place for You
A place for all of those who dislike the Twilight series to gather and discuss. Hilarity ensues.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Indy is awesome

It was banned, and then unbanned four days later from middle school libraries in the Capistrano Unified School District in Orange County, California. Here's the full article:

Here's an excerpt from the novel, provided by the Orange County Register in aforementioned article:

"'Softly he brushed my cheek, then held my face between his marble hands,' a passage from the first book reads. 'Be very still,' he whispered, as if I wasn't already frozen. Slowly, never moving his eyes from mine, he leaned toward me. Then abruptly, but very gently, he rested his cold cheek against the hollow at the base of my throat."

That excerpt alone screams "Ban it!" to many people, including me, and, frankly, schools wouldn't need to ban it if parents took action and prevented kids from reading it. I don't care how mature kids claim to be, because the series promotes necrophilia, zoophilia, paedophilia, and child grooming. Also, Bella's a bitch, and a Mary Sue. Who would consider Bella a role model if he or she knew better? I think that readers should be at least eighteen before reading it.

If only Stephenie Meyer never published the Twilight series... then us antis wouldn't have to worry about it.

So, as the news is unreliable, and only publishes hot topics, I wonder if it'll say what's going to happen to the books in those middle schools.

Your thoughts?

2/25/2009 #1
Indy is awesome

Here are two persons' comments about the ban of the Twilight series on Twilighters Anonymous. (Link:

alic responded:

I don’t think Twilight should be allowed IN any library(s).

Hadrian Emrys responded:

I’m with Alison H (Commentary by Alec: the previous poster) insofar as agreeing that the following themes are present within the series:

1. The male lead is emotionally and mentally abusive to the female lead, and it lauded as “perfect”.

2. Child grooming on the part of the opposing faction to the “vampires”. (This pedophilia theme alone is grounds for the removal of the book.)

3. Glorification of suicide by BOTH of the lead characters.

4. Rampant sexism on the part of the male lead.

However, even if the meat of said questionable content truly is over the head of the younger readers, it sets a poor example to them during these formative years. To have the idea that being in an abusive relationship, one based on physical attraction, is something to aspire to… that is sick. Attempting to paint child grooming in such a way that it becomes a magically good thing is no less so. The books should have remained banned. If parents don’t care to protect their kids in their own home, that’s one thing, but to have an establishment that is designed to nurture and direct youth fail to do so is unacceptable.

I agree with both of them. Those were the only people who commented on Twilighters Anonymous that were for the banning of these books.

2/25/2009 #2
Don't Use Anymore

As much as I would like to agree with you, I can't. If they ban Twilight, this will open up the door to ban other GOOD books. Parents should just TALK to their kids about this book.

2/25/2009 #3
Indy is awesome

As much as I would like to agree with you, I can't. If they ban Twilight, this will open up the door to ban other GOOD books. Parents should just TALK to their kids about this book.

Well, you're absolutely right, Minty. In a perfect world, if Twilight was banned, that would be the end of it. However, these same people probably want to ban Harry Potter only because of its connection with witchcraft... and it just shows that these people are fruit loops. Just because it's a vampire story doesn't necessarily mean it should be banned. In Twilight's case, I wouldn't want any good books to be banned, and I definitely do want parents to talk to their kids about the novels.

Kind of makes you think, though... you said in a whole bunch of posts how you hated Twilight to no end, so I was wondering what you would do if Twilight got banned.

I just wish Twilight could be banned without any problems, such as the banning of good books, but, unfortunately, that's not how it is in this world.

And, also, if Twilight got banned in certain areas... I'm picturing widespread panic, chaos, and revolts caused by deranged fans... or something similar in that vein.

2/25/2009 #4
Don't Use Anymore

Kind of makes you think, though... you said in a whole bunch of posts how you hated Twilight to no end, so I was wondering what you would do if Twilight got banned.

Well, I might join in on the protests. It would be hypocritical of me to be against censorship and bitch about the school not letting me wear a certain t-shirt and when something I hate is censored to stand by and not do anything.

I just wish Twilight could be banned without any problems, such as the banning of good books, but, unfortunately, that's not how it is in this world

No, we cannot shelter the girls who are reading this. They just have to be talked to.

2/25/2009 #5
Indy is awesome

No, we cannot shelter the girls who are reading this. They just have to be talked to.

You're right.

2/25/2009 #6
Don't Use Anymore

You're right.

With that, I say, JtHM IN THE CLASSROOM!!!

2/25/2009 #7
Master of the Boot

Twilight may not be the best book ever written but it's pure idiocy to try and ban it. Come on, that book is squeaky clean. Edward watches Bella in her sleep, big friggin deal.

It's like the deal with Harry Potter all over again.

2/26/2009 #8
Don't Use Anymore

Twilight may not be the best book ever written but it's pure idiocy to try and ban it. Come on, that book is squeaky clean. Edward watches Bella in her sleep, big friggin deal.

While I agree with you that people should not try to ban it (I'm against censorship), I disagree on it being squeaky clean. But, who am I to talk, my book favorite is about an insane serial killer. So, in the end, it boils down to parents being informed about what they're kids are reading, and talking about it.

2/27/2009 #9
Master of the Boot

I can't really argue with you on this one. Some scenes in Twilight are questionable, but it's very mild compared to some of my favorite stuff. The kids can handle it, most of them are mature.

And I agree wholeheartedly about censorship.

2/27/2009 #10
Don't Use Anymore

I can't really argue with you on this one. Some scenes in Twilight are questionable, but it's very mild compared to some of my favorite stuff. The kids can handle it, most of them are mature.

That, and if they ban it, the kids will just read it anyways. Seriously, my dad would have a cow if he read half of my favorite stuff. Which is why I don't let him know I'm reading it. My mom is smarter about it and talks to be about what's in the books.

2/28/2009 #11
AlreadyMovedOn

Well, you're absolutely right, Minty. In a perfect world, if Twilight was banned, that would be the end of it. However, these same people probably want to ban Harry Potter only because of its connection with witchcraft... and it just shows that these people are fruit loops. Just because it's a vampire story doesn't necessarily mean it should be banned. In Twilight's case, I wouldn't want any good books to be banned, and I definitely do want parents to talk to their kids about the novels.

I just wish Twilight could be banned without any problems, such as the banning of good books, but, unfortunately, that's not how it is in this world.

And, also, if Twilight got banned in certain areas... I'm picturing widespread panic, chaos, and revolts caused by deranged fans... or something similar in that vein.

That is so stupid. They want to ban Harry Potter just because of witchcraft? I mean, if they did ban Twilight, great, but Harry Potter, Not so great! Twilight is downright bad in MANY ways, while Harry Potter is great. At least Harry Potter doesn't have Mary Sues nor any Garys at all. Twilight promotes pregnancy, quiting college, leaving your family behind for one person, leaving friends, and all the other trash Stephanie or Stepenie of What-ever-her name is wrote on the book.

3/24/2009 . Edited 4/21/2009 #12
Master of the Boot

I'd like to adress the following to Zodiac Twelve:

You don't like Twilight, it's obvious and I can respect that. You make it abundantly clear that you hate Twilight and all sequal books, again, that's fine. What I do have a problem with is that you want to ban the book on the basis that you don't like it. There are people out there who enjoy the book, even if you don't.

You ban books because they contain explicit subject matter and it won't be appropriet for children. Naturally you wouldn't want elementary students to start reading books with X rated scenes, so you might ban those from school libraries. There's nothing in Twilight that is hard core enough to warrant a ban, just as there is nothing in Harry Potter that warrants a ban.

I agree with you, it's retarded that they want to ban Harry Potter because it contains witchcraft. But what I won't stand for is when somebody wants a book or a movie banned because they dont' like it. I've read things that were ten times worse than Twilight, but I'm not itching for them to be banned.

3/24/2009 #13
AlreadyMovedOn

Another thing I am curious about is why do you visit this forum? You made it obvious in you profile that you like to read/love Twilight, yet, you come here knowing that people will talk harsh, and irrational about the series, including myself. It is also a problem for me that you, a Twitard, even comes here.

3/25/2009 . Edited 7/12/2009 #14
PrivateConsultingDetective

At least Harry Potter doesn't have Mary Sues nor any Garys at all.

Uhm... have you forgotten Ginny Weasley?

8/15/2009 #15
AlreadyMovedOn

She is the sister of Ron. Right? Well, if she is yay I remeber because I did not read Harry Potter in a long time, if not correct me because I forgot...

8/15/2009 #16
PrivateConsultingDetective

She is the sister of Ron. Right? Well, if she is yay I remeber because I did not read Harry Potter in a long time, if not correct me because I forgot...

Yes, but she is only a Mary Sue in HBP xD.

8/16/2009 #17
BurnishTomatoes

The truth is, I don't believe in banning books once you reach the high school level. I mean, whether or not you are mature or not isn't beared by age, but at this age, we should understand the concepts in these 'mature' books, I mean, suicide, sexism, abuse, if you are ignorant of these things, and your parent wishes to keep you ignorant, ergo possibly harming your future psyche, maturity, and saftey even. Ignorance is an old and retarded idea. We need to stop using it. I hate twillight, but people have a right to read it.

9/6/2009 #18
Don't Use Anymore

Indeed. Which is why I say we need JtHM in the classroom.

9/7/2009 #19
SpaceHusband

Banning books is completely ridiculous, even if the book sucks, we all know twilight dose.

12/24/2009 #20
The Flying Fish

I BELIEVE IN BOOK BANNING!!! HIDE OUR KIDS' HEADS IN THE SAND!!!!

12/24/2009 #21
AlreadyMovedOn

I 2nd.

12/24/2009 #22
calcudoku

Twilight is not in my local library, surprisingly. THANK. THE. GODS. I kind feel sorry for all the Twilight lovers... it's like saying that the Titanic is the strongest ship around... after it had sunken.

1/25/2010 #23
CyanideMangoOfMassDestruction

That's awesome! Twilight sucks so bad, it totally deserves to be banned!

7/25/2010 #24
Welsh Gem

I agree, Twilight sucks so bad, it should definetly be banned. Sometimes, I feel like slapping every twilight fan out there!

2/19/2011 #25
Kuroneko388
Idk y they don't ban it. They should on the grounds that it puts pedophilia, child-grooming, abuse, beastiality, anti-feminism, and neglecting a child in a positive light. Not to mention it's also really bad literature. That is something schools should stand against, if all the other stuff I mentioned doesn't concern them. And Twilight is more harmful than Harry Potter ever will b.
11/30/2011 #26
Kuroneko388
Idk y they don't ban it. They should on the grounds that it puts pedophilia, child-grooming, abuse, beastiality, anti-feminism, and neglecting a child in a positive light. Not to mention it's also really bad literature. That is something schools should stand against, if all the other stuff I mentioned doesn't concern them. And Twilight is more harmful than Harry Potter ever will b.
11/30/2011 #27
FreyjasThirteenth

However bad a book Twilight is, it is no grounds for banning it. That just sets a precedence to thought-control. I've had a horror of thought copntrol since I read 1984.

//shudder.

12/4/2011 #28
Eat Me - I'm Yummy

I have to agree that banning books is a Little extreme and that parents should be able to sit Down their children and make them understand why they shouldn't read some Things.

Also, while I never saw Bella as a role model, not even the first time I read the book, New Moon was a definite low and it makes me ashamed to call myself a slight Twilight fan. One of the main reasons I got into writing Twilight fanfic, was the chance to take NM and chuck it out the freaking window; writing something new in its place. To think that someone considered a role model to millions across the World, at the same time promotes suicide attempts and reckless behavior, not to mention catatonia because her high school boyfriend dumped her, is just... I can't even find the Words to truly Express how awful that notion is.

Maybe the schools should just introduce a new class the World over; Twilight 101 (Why you should stay away)

7/1/2014 #29
Forum Moderators: Letter to Miss
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member