Hate Twilight? Here's the Place for You
A place for all of those who dislike the Twilight series to gather and discuss. Hilarity ensues.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
AlreadyMovedOn

Okay, so I heard there will be this show that will appear in the CW on September 10, 2009. I looked up some information on it and it is based on a book.

I even looked at the trailer and I must say that it reminds me too much on the Twilight saga. For example, While the main character has, like, blond hair and blue eyes in the Vampire Diaries in the book, she has black/brown hair and brown eyes in the show instead. She is also, if I am correct, a new student in the town, but in the book she lived in the town her entire live.

These major changes with the way how they change the book makes me feel like they are trying to make her look like (and maybe even act) as Bella in Twilight.

Another Mary sue?

Lastly, from what I saw in the trailer, the vampires are almost exactly the same as Stephanie's 'vampires'. Like they don't seem to be affected by sunlight, and appear to be super fast.

Then there is the love triangle...

Does this show scream Twilight to you antis as it does to me?

I haven't read the books, but I am so certain the show will suck.

7/16/2009 #1
Blue Polka Dots

Probably.

But, vampires are pretty popular right now. It's to be expected, I guess.

7/17/2009 #2
AlreadyMovedOn

Yeah, but it also sucks, too.

I mean, I think the directors/writers of the show are trying to gain more views by making the VD tv show version have the exact Twilight feeling crap.

Man, I hate Twilight more now. Ever since that book came out many people have the wrong idea what a real vampire really is. Also, the good vampire has the same hairstyle as Edward. Giving me the idea that he may be almost the same as Mr. Stalker.

I wonder what is next? A unicorn with no horn?

I miss Buffy the Vampire Slayer :(

7/17/2009 #3
Letter to Miss

I don't like the way that people are treating Twilight as though it's a revolutionary piece of work and modeling all of their creations after it. There's no concrete definition for what a vampire should be, but there are basic guidelines. Like the whole FREAKING BLOODSUCKING MONSTER thing. No sparkles there. NONE.

Ugh, the same hairstyle as Robert Pattinson in the movie? Shoot me before I find out how many cans of hairspray they're using.

8/2/2009 #4
AlreadyMovedOn

Yeah, just check out the trailer in YouTube. The guy's hair is almost the same as Edward, and the lead almost has the same appearance as Bella...

Okay, so there isn't really a real vampire, but as you said, there ARE guidelines that everyone should follow; the vampire being weak of the sun in one way or another, the bloodsucking, fangs, no sparkling, brutal monsters, and can not reproduce with a human.

IT. IS. NOT. POOSIBLE. They are dead-living creatures.

8/2/2009 #5
Letter to Miss

Wow, that looked like a slightly more grown up knock off of Twilight. The guy was hotter than Rob in Twilight, though, I'll give him that.

Yeah, they're somewhat like zombies with brains, if you'd like to put it that way.

Nice to talk with you, by the way! I haven't logged onto FF for a really long time, and I keep getting tons of e-mails with your name and Blue Polka Dots and Minty, so it's great to actually talk to you guys! :P [/awkward greeting]

8/2/2009 #6
AlreadyMovedOn

Yeah, it has been a long time since I heard from you, it is also nice talking with you as well. You and Minty make this forum seriously funny XD

Well...I am only judging the show by the appearance so far; I didn't read vampire diaries yet, so I think I should read the book (s) then watch the show if you know what I mean.

But if the show is almost like the book twilight, at least there is still Buffy and Hellsing to enjoy.

8/2/2009 #7
Letter to Miss

It's a group effort. xD

My friend, Monica, read them, and she said that they were amazing, but they also were like Twilight. Without werewolves, though, I think. That's always a plus.

I prefer witches to vampires at the moment; they're less overrated. Witch novels generally aren't all carbon copies of Twilight with a new shiny cover slapped on the cover, though the shiny covers are always appreciated.

8/2/2009 #8
AlreadyMovedOn

Witches/Wizards arent overrated because they are almost like humans, only that they use magic. Yeah, witches are more cooler. Like in Sabrina and Harry Potter.

But in Twilight the vampires are given magic; that is overrated...

8/4/2009 #9
Letter to Miss

They are humans, but they are humans that have had practiced and worked their asses to be great at the magic that they put to use. Twilight's vampires have simply been given all of those super powers on a silver platter, and they still whine and complain about how much their joyful, sparkling lives suck.

8/11/2009 #10
AlreadyMovedOn

how much their joyful, sparkling lives suck.

That made me giggle.

True, they should be grateful, but still complain. Like Bella.

That seems to happen alot in fiction these days. When this spell or/and move takes like, lets say four years to master. It only takes the main character, like, a few days. The mvamps get them right away, however.

8/11/2009 #11
Letter to Miss

That's most likely the reason as to why Bella got along with them so well. Although Bella was never grateful for anything, for god's sake, her boyfriend bought her a whole brand spanking new stereo for her car, and she gets angry about it. Her dad tries to make her comfortable and care for her, and she spends all of her time sleeping around town and hating on him.

Mary-Sue syndrome. Most fantasy stories come down with it these days. *sigh*

8/11/2009 #12
AlreadyMovedOn

I wonder what is not considered a Mary-sue.

Well, if the character was ugly, yet strong/smart. Then that is a good start.

I Just have to remind myself sometimes just because a character is hot, smart, strong, etc. They can still be balanced by having their weakness, haters, etc.

8/11/2009 #13
JadedHarmony

So I hate Twilight as much as the next person, but I happen to have read a whole lot [about] The Vampire DIaries and while I dislike Elena and Stefan strongly, not only was VD around MUCH longer than the Twilight books (if you can even call it that....) but its somewhat better than Twilight. The vampires DON'T sparkle like the sparklepires or anything... I THINK there is just a ring like lapiz something or other that keeps them safe from the sun. Also, Elena dies in the third book. Which was awesome... but then unfortunately she came back. I mean, don't get me wrong, there is still the "OMG CENTER OF UNIVERSE ELENA" bs, but its nowhere near as bad as twilight. Now... the tv shows will depress me because from what I read about them, they liked to delete characters and then add some in.... so... yeah. Just for the record:

Anne RiceL.J.SmithStephanie Meyers

8/19/2009 #14
deleteduser001

Hi. I dont really know what I'm doing here, since I do not hate Twillight...(please, dont kill me!), although I'm also far from beeing a fan. I used to love the books, yes (again, please dont kill me!), but I'm glad to say that I got over it. (Although I still dont find them so bad as everyone in this forum seems to think they are. ). If it was up to me there would only have been one twlilight book. Number 2, 3 and 4 were...especially number 4...a whole load of...uh...crap? So, having said this, and if you havent all already mistakingly pictured me as another crazy Edward lover, what I have to say is: I'm with you, Celestial Zodiac! Ending Buffy the Vampire Slayer was the worst mistake ever made. And trying to make the VD look like twillight...ughhhh!!!!I also dont like those books that much...although I like them more than Twillight. At least the villains are actually vilains, not whatever Meyer made them in twillight. (I hate Stephan, though. And dont even make me start about Elena.) Oh, and by the way, I hate every single character in Twillight. (And I liked the books. Okay, the first one. Yes, dont ask how thats even possible!) Except for Leah. She is a rightfull bitch, and stays so nearly until the end. That's why she doenst anoys me that much. I'd rather have a bitch that doenst denies that she is a bitch than someone like Bella. (Ughhhh!!!).

So, having explained all this, what I would like to say is: if anyone messes up with unicorns, they are messing with me! Not even Meyer can get away with that!

P.S. - I'm not a native english speaker, hence my spelling and grammar mistakes. But there wasnt a "I hate twillight" forum in my own language, so..............

8/25/2009 #15
chocolateandbooks

yeah I recently went on you tube and I typed in vampire diaries and its just like Twilight, which really annoys me, because Iam getting sick of twilight and even the word twilight _. Also the main dude whatever he is named has the same sunnies as Edward and n ow what does tell you that these TV companies are just ripping off SM, I think maybe she should have protected her work.

I just happened to find this forum so I felt like telling you.

8/27/2009 #16
Beautiful Dead

They are not ripping of her work because vampire diaries is also a book series that was published waaay before twilight.

8/30/2009 #17
AlreadyMovedOn

They are not ripping of her work because vampire diaries is also a book series that was published waaay before twilight.

Not the book, but the TV show. The main character does not look like herself in VD but like Bella in Twilight. The Vampire Diaries show and the book twilight are similar.

8/30/2009 #18
Hippeastrum

the Vampire Diaries books came out over a decade before twilight did. so twilight is a copy of VD. and the VD books are so much better then Twlight. yes there are some simalarites but there is in every vampire book. the reason that the vampire in Vd dont burn in sunlight is because they have a special gem in their rings that stop them from buring. its a little complicated to understand but the books are worth it and will defintly not make you pissed cuz they are nothing like Twlight.

they are well worth the read

10/12/2009 #19
AlreadyMovedOn

Yeah, I watched the show, like only two episodes and I think it is okay so far. But they still somewhat compare it to twilight-"more darker than Twilight." But, in a review I read right in fanfiction and faved it said that it seems to plagiarize “Dead Until Dark” by Charlaine Harris. About a waitress that can read peoples' thoughts until she meets a vampire and can't read his thoughts. And she becomes interested in him.

But I may still read the book if I am still interested.

10/12/2009 . Edited 10/16/2009 #20
UnnaturalKetchupTaco

I just read the Vampire Diaries, and they aren't that good. Atleast the first book isn't.

Here's a summery.

Elana (I forgot her last name. ooops) lives in a town. She has blonde hair and green eyes. Her parents are dead, and she lives with her aunt. She acts really spoiled. Then a new guy, Stefan comes, and it's immediate I must have this guy. She obsesses over going out with him. Then.... I forgot the rest. something about Stephan's long lost EVIL brother coming....

That's a pretty suckish summery, but whatever. My opinion. It sucks. I just didn't like it. I hated Elana. She's shallow, and most of the time I wanted to kill her. I don't know. That's just my interpertation of it.

12/1/2009 #21
Cherrycat

It's sad how the vampire diaries characters look a lot like the twilight characters. I mean, look at Stefan: in the show he looks soo like Edward, that was pathetic and he acts like him, too. He's like " I'm a monster". At least :Elena is a bit scared of the vampire thing.

8/29/2010 #22
calcudoku

VD is not like Twilight in the sense that:

a. Twilight does not have a badass vampire.

b. Twilight does not have a badass witch... hey, wait a minute! This is starting to sound like Buffy. WTH?

9/15/2010 #23
LilBlondeRikku

I know this is way late, but you're right. I read the VD books and I love them. I read the Twilight books and I think a third grader could have written a better story. I've seen the Twilight movies-- not horrible, but definitely better things to fill my time. And I'm in the process of watching the Vampire Diaries series. From the very first episode, it had Twilight written all over it. Elena (other than reminding me of Selena Gomez) reminds me way too much of Bella. From the what-did-I-do-wrong face to the physical appearance (the dark hair, mostly). And don't even get me started on Stefan. He is a DEAD RINGER for Robert Pattinson. It's horrible. He's a better actor, though. More emotion. But he's got the same self righteous bullcrap going on that Edward did. He (Stefan) wants to be with Elena, but they can't, because he's a 'monster'. But he's a good monster. He only eats animals. And now, in the third season, he does actually leave. Gee, that sounds familiar. The circumstances are different, but the basic concept is the same. And yes, there are werewolves in the VD series. Tyler Lockwood is a werewolf. And he looks almost like Jacob. I swear, this show would be so much better if they were freaking original. The only thing saving this series for me is Damon. The love triangle in VD is between Elena, Stefan, and Damon, instead of Bella's should I choose the vampire or the werewolf dilemma. But again, same concept.

1/10/2012 #24
alderaanleia

Spoilers for Season 4.

Even though I'm not a big Elena fan, the show is so much fun to watch! I can find many reasons why Elena is a better protagonist than Bella.

She's charismatic, and she even cares about her group of human friends, though in Twilight Bella just disses them and calls all the normal townsfolk of Forks shallow. They don't even discriminate blondes, Caroline happens to be a bit of your typical cheer-leader, but she cares for her friends and is un-prejudiced against warewolves (hence the Romeo & Juliet relationship with Tyler).

When Elena becomes a vampire, she struggles (another word to add to Meyer's vocabulary) to embrace her vampirism and feels so much pain and guilt, that she becomes the villain.

God, I really want to hate the bad guys, but they're too damn good to watch and their back-stories are amazing. The Original family (first vampires), have strengths and weaknesses, and Katherine is interesting too. She's snarky, she's selfish, but you see why she became evil. That's the good thing about TVD bad guys, they're a joy to watch and are crucial to the plot. And the show doesn't centre just on the love triangle, it has sub-plots and other love-triangles (i.e Caroline, Tyler & Klaus - Bonnie, Jeremy & other guys). They also have WITCHES! How AWSOME is that?

7/21/2013 #25
Forum Moderators: Letter to Miss
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member