The DG Forum!
The DG Forum: ff . net's official - uh, self-proclaimed - stronghold for all things Draco/Ginny. Writers wanted.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
The DG Forum

Welcome to The DG Forum Fic Exchange – Summer 2017! *tosses confetti*

Whether you're a long-time lurker and ancient decrepit who's been getting dusty in a corner of the Common Room (not to mention mistaken for a pile of rags), have crossed the web oceans from the land of FIA, or are a fresh-faced newbie just enjoying your first forays into the most wonderful of ships, this is your chance to enjoy and be part of a DG fandom tradition! I hope to see many, many participants this time round! Let's make this the best DG exchange yet!

This will be your go-to thread for announcements and links relating to our summer exchange, so stay tuned.

-

So what is a fic exchange?

In a nutshell: participating writers submit a prompt for a fic they would like to have written for them, and in return they will write a fic following someone else's prompt. In a nutshell within a nutshell: everyone anonymously writes a fic for someone else, and in turn everyone has a fic anonymously written for them. It's like a gifting extravaganza where every forum-goer's DG dreams can come true!

-

Basic outline

Submit your prompts: you will be asked to submit 3 prompts.

Request your prompts: you will be asked to submit a list of 3 prompt requests numbered in the order you would most want to write for them. You get to choose 2 prompts that you would absolutely not like to write for.

Prompts assigned, start writing: your prompt arrives by owl (email). You will have almost three months of writing time, so don't waste our benevolence and leave it to the last minute. ;)

Submit your story by owl: you will receive an email from The DG Forum listing all writing guidelines for fic submissions. Attach your guideline-compliant story document to an email, and send it to our account.

Stories are published: all stories will be posted from the forum's FFN account to maintain anonymity.

Voting begins: Voting occurs by poll.

Winners announced: awards include honor and glory and bragging rights. Winners in the Overall category are added to our C2.

Drop outs are banished from our sacred lands: if you don't complete your fic, you're chained to the Wall of Shame and left as a peace offering for the local zombies. I hope you like brains...

-

General criteria for the DG Forum Fic Exchange

Pairings: Must be D/G centric; may feature any side-pairings.

Ratings: G to NC-17; please state in your prompt if you have a preference.

Length: minimum: 1,000 words; maximum: no limit.

-

Timeline

Here is a general timeline for our fic exchange (please note that dates are subject to change). You will have roughly 2 and a half months of total writing time – just enough for you to crack out your next DG masterpiece! Remember: deadlines for the exchange are final, so plan accordingly! If you drop out, you're leaving a fellow writer hanging without a fic of their own. That makes us all sad pandas. Please consider your decision carefully before joining, as dropping out may result in banning from the next writing exchange.

April 10: prompt submissions open

April 22: Prompt submissions close. Prompt requests open.

May 6: Prompts assigned - start writing!

July 31: Final writing deadline for all fics. Stories are posted daily in the order in which they were received.

TBC: All stories posted.

TBC: Accepting nominations.

TBC: Voting period.

TBC: Winners are announced/Writer identities revealed.

-

Where do I sign up?

Signing up is simple: just head over to the Prompt submission thread, where you will be asked to submit 3 complete prompts. By submitting your prompts, you're agreeing to participate in the exchange.

Note that the first stop for non-members is the Who's Who thread, where you will sign over your life to us by becoming a member of our forum. All members may participate in the exchange, regardless of age, time of having joined, financial status or social standing within the Wizarding community -- ah, the advantages of an anonymous voting system!

Any questions?

Please refer to the previous exchange threads or send a PM to Boogum, your friendly mod.

4/10 . Edited 9/3 #1
The DG Forum

Prompt submissions for The DG Forum Fic Exchange - Summer 2017 are officially closed.

We will be accepting prompt requests from April 23, 2017 through to May 5, 2017.

4/23 #2
The DG Forum

Prompt Requests for The DG Forum Fic Exchange – Summer 2017

Prompt requests are now open through to May 5, 2017!

To request your prompt, please follow these instructions:

1. Visit the Prompts Submissions Thread and read through all the prompts carefully - consider the required elements and the undesired ones before making your decision.

2. Choose at least three (3) prompts that you would absolutely love to write in order of preference. Remember, you are not guaranteed to receive one of your top three prompts, but the moderators will try their best to ensure that you do. If there are a lot of fics you'd be okay writing, feel free to request more than three prompts.

3. Choose no more than two (2) prompts that you would be absolutely mortified to receive. You are guaranteed NOT to get your bottom two prompts assigned!

4. Email your choices to The DG Forum account [the(dot)dg(dot)forum@gmail(dot)com] by May 5, 2017. The subject of your email must contain: "your name's Prompt Requests".

Note that if there's a tie for a favorite prompt, it is usually assigned on a first come, first served basis. Submit your prompt requests as soon as possible to optimize your chances of getting your top choice.

5. Do not PM. The moderators will be using email to communicate with you from this point on, so be sure to add the forum account to your contacts list to avoid our emails going to your spam folder.

6. You will receive an email from the moderators with your assigned prompt and further instructions. You should have your prompt by May 6, end of day at the latest.

Part of an exchange is challenging yourself as a writer, and another part is making sure that everyone who writes also receives a fic. Remember: while you're not guaranteed to get one of your top three prompts, you are guaranteed NOT to get your bottom two. Good luck!

4/23 #3
Boogum

We are looking for beta-readers for the exchange.

To be a beta-reader, you must:

1) Not be a writing participant of the exchange (this does not apply to mods)

2) Be willing to commit.

Please make a post and state whether you are willing to be a beta-reader, as well as the length of time you will need (eg, a week in advance before the deadline). If you would like to request a beta-reader, PM someone from the list and make your request.

FE Beta Readers

Boogum (week in advance is preferable; can do pinch hitter)

dwellingindreams (a week would be good, but can make it happen in less time if needed)

megglette (7-5 days before deadline)

rowan-greenleaf

6/22 . Edited 6/28 #4
Boogum
Forum Goers:

Unfortunately, one of our writers had to drop out of the exchange. As such, we are looking for a pinch hitter writer. Please PM me if you are interested.

7/20 #5
Boogum

ATTENTION:

The gods of writing have smiled upon you. An extension for all writers has been granted. You now have until August 7th to get your fic submitted. Please be sure to follow the submission guidelines when submitting your story.

7/28 #6
The DG Forum

The DG Forum Fic Exchange - Summer 2017

Waiting for the Sun

The Night of the Phoenix

Malfoy's Patented Daydream Scheme

Lucidity

Colour and Light

The Phoenix and Dragon

The Secret Language of Flowers

Indiscretion

The Secret Life of Draco Malfoy

As It Should Be

Booze & Hoots

In My Place

The Golden Afternoon

Little Wonders

Skin

Decode This

8/19 #7
The DG Forum

2017 Fic Exchange Review Policy:

For purposes of this fic exchange, a person is considered to have read an exchange story if they have reviewed the submission, including the final chapter.

In order to be able to submit nominations for awards, you must have read and reviewed all entries in this year's exchange.

8/20 #8
The DG Forum

Updated Timeline

Saturday August 19: All stories posted, time to read and review.

Friday August 25 to Wednesday August 30 at 8PM EST: accepting nominations.

Thursday August 31 to Sunday September 3: voting period (tentative).

Sunday September 3: winners announced (tentative).

8/20 . Edited 8/27 #9
The DG Forum

Award Nominations

We are currently accepting nominations for this year's fic exchange. The nomination period will run through Sunday August 27, 2017 by 10PM EST Wednesday August 30, 2017 at 8PM EST.

Please submit your nominations by email to The DG Forum's email account: the(dot)dg(dot)forum(at)gmail(dot)com, or by sending a PM to this account. (Please do not email or PM individual moderators with your nominations.)

Guidelines:

• You may only participate in the nomination process if you've read all of the eligible fics; for all intents and purposes, you're considered to have read a story if you've reviewed each submission, including the final chapter of each fic. Please see the Fic Exchange Review Policy posted above.
  • You may nominate up to 2 stories per category. You do not need to send in nominations for each category, and you may nominate only one story per category if you wish.
  • Don't nominate yourself. We all know how narcissistic we can be, but let's save that for the voting time.
  • Submit all of your nominations in one message; duplicates will not be accepted. The subject of your email/PM should include the words FE 2017 Nominations in it. Please cut and paste the list below and add your nominations to it.

Best Prose (optional sample)

Best Dialog (optional sample)

Best Kiss (optional sample)

Best Banter (optional sample)

Best Fluff Scene (optional sample)

Most Fangirly

Note about the samples: since FFN disabled copy/paste within fics, you can choose to indicate to us what sentences begin and end the sample you want included for each award. This is entirely optional.

Please note that the overall award categories (Best Fanfiction Overall, Best Chaptered Story, Best One Shot, etc.) do not require nominations.

8/24 . Edited 8/27 #10
The DG Forum

Nomination Period Extension:

In light of a larger exchange with longer fics, we are extending the nomination period through August Wednesday 30 at 8PM EST. This gives 3 additional days for reading and reviewing than originally planned. Happy reading!

8/27 #11
The DG Forum

The DG Forum Fic Exchange - Summer 2017: Voting

The time has come to choose the best fics in this year's exchange. You can find the voting booths here. Please read the instructions before submitting your vote. As in previous years, you may vote for up to two fics in each category. Remember: voting is anonymous and polls are "blind" until the winners are revealed.

Voting will close on Sunday September 3, 2017 by noon EST.

Tie Policy: if a tie should occur in any of the "Best Overall" categories, tie-breakers will be held between the tied fics until a single winner is declared. Ties between up to two fics in the non-Best Overall categories are considered acceptable. If a tie should be three-way and above, a tie-breaker will be put in place.

Tie-breaker: a short round of votes between two or more tied fics. Only one vote is allotted per participant per category.

8/31 . Edited 9/3 #12
The DG Forum

The DG Forum Fic Exchange Summer 2017 - Awards

OVERALL AWARDS

Best Fanfiction Overall — Waiting for the Sun

Best Chaptered Fic Overall — Waiting for the Sun

Best One Shot Overall — The Secret Life of Draco Malfoy

QUALITY OF THE CRAFT AWARDS

Best Prose —Waiting for the Sun

Best Dialogue — Malfoy's Patented Daydream Scheme Colour and Light

Best Response to the Prompt — Waiting for the Sun

Most Creative — Indiscretion

CHARACTER AWARDS

Best Characterization of Draco Malfoy — Waiting for the Sun

Best Characterization of Ginny Weasley — Waiting for the Sun

Best Supporting Characters — Waiting for the Sun

DRACO AND GINNY FOREVER!!! [Fangirly] Awards

Best Kiss — Waiting for the Sun

Best Banter — Malfoy's Patented Daydream Scheme

Best Fluff Scene — The Secret Life of Draco Malfoy

Most Humorous — Malfoy's Patented Daydream Scheme

Most Fangirly — In My Place

Most In Need Of A Sequel — Lucidity

MODS' PICKS

Rowan's Pick — Colour and Light

The elegance of the prose, layered characterizations and intelligence behind the writing made Colour and Light one of my (many) favorites in this year's exchange - with one of the best Dracos I've read in a while! But it was the carefully explored complexity of the connection between Draco and Ginny (which for me is the most satisfying component of amazing DG) as well as the poignant sincerity in approaching themes like self-reckoning and hope that made this a story I don't think I will ever forget.

Kim's Pick — Indiscretion

Indiscretion was one of those fics I didn't realise I needed in my life. It was a unique take on the prompt, had a refreshing take on Draco and Ginny, and just made me do a lot of fangirl spazzing when all is said and done. I will be re-reading this one a lot.

Jessica's Pick — Booze & Hoots

Booze & Hoots inspired a range of emotions and reactions within me while I read. At some points, Ginny's antics had me giggling and snickering, at others I was groaning in dismay. I found Ginny embarrassingly relatable, and I appreciated the cast of supporting characters' reasonableness (especially Ron's!). I loved the humor and banter of this story, and I hated to see it end!

Writer Identities Revealed

Ori wrote Indiscretion for Haz

Haz (Ha'niqua) wrote Lucidity for Anise

Anise wrote The Secret Language of Flowers for PB

PB (PlutoniumBunny) wrote Skin for Tasha

Tasha (TASHAx) wrote The Golden Afternoon for Jessica

Jessica (idreamofdraco) wrote Malfoy's Patented Daydream Scheme for Noelle

Noelle (Keeperofthemoon0) wrote In My Place for Charlie

Charlie (Sw33tCh3rryP13) wrote Booze & Hoots for Lia

Kyla (writerdragonfly) wrote Little Wonders for Desertisle

Desertisle wrote The Phoenix and Dragon for Elizabeth

Elizabeth (Jaden Malfoy87) wrote Waiting for the Sun for Kyla

Kyla (writerdragonfly) wrote The Secret Life of Draco Malfoy for Boogum, in place of Lia

Boogum wrote As It Should Be for LiJuno

LiJuno wrote Colour and Light for Rae

Rae (KieraRaelyn) wrote The Night of the Phoenix for Ginny

Boogum wrote Decode This for Ori, in place of Ginny

9/3 . Edited by rowan-greenleaf, 9/3 #13
Forum Moderators: rowan-greenleaf idreamofdraco, Boogum, The DG Forum, Aerileigh
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member