The DG Forum!
The DG Forum: ff . net's official - uh, self-proclaimed - stronghold for all things Draco/Ginny. Writers wanted.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
imadoodlenoodle

What's that I hear you say? You're desperate for a new challenge to come along and test your skills as an author? Well coincidentally I happen to have something that could help you: Battle of the Drabbles.

The information below contains all you should need to know about the BotD challenge. If you have any questions, please post them below.

Sign-up begins: Saturday 22nd September, noon, (forum time)

Sign-up closes: Sunday 30th September, noon, (forum time)

First prompt issued: Monday 1st October

Final results posted (battle officially over): Monday 5th November

Basic Information

- There are five rounds.

- You will have one week to write your response.

- While responses are being written, the voting will take place for the previous round.

- Submissions will be posted in one 'chapter' on the DG Forum account. After people have read them they can go to the profile to vote.

- Anyone can vote, so drum up support and direct people to the challenge thread/story to get more people involved. Spam your chapter A/Ns (if you're still updating...).

- Anyone can enter but you cannot tell people which response you wrote until after the end of the challenge. You will be out of the running for OMAA if you do.

- To be eligible for OMAA you must respond to every challenge, before its respective deadline.

- The challenge will last approximately six weeks from the beginning of writing to the final results being announced. Sign-up will begin ten days before the issuance of the first challenge.

Rounds

Each round has a challenge, be it a prompt, theme or must-have. Each round has a winner for most popular drabble and two runners-up.

Responses

You will have a week to write your response before emailing it to imadoodlenoodle (at gmail.com). You may submit your submission anytime before the deadline. Do remember that entries after the deadline will not be accepted, even if the submissions have not yet been posted. Do not leave it until the last minute.

When submitting please put in the subject line: Submission for Round (enter appropriate): Author, Title

You may be under the word count but you mustn't exceed it. If you exceed the word count you will forfeit the round.

Challenges

There are a variety of challenges designed to test your writing skills and creative juices! You do not have to complete every challenge, but people who don't will not be eligible for the coveted prize of Overall Most Awesome Author (OMAA). Challenges will be chosen using some complicated algebraic formula, or something.

Challenge examples:

Example One: Prompt: Time flies when you're having fun Word Count: 750

Example Two: Influence: http://www.beloveds.net/images/old-world-map.jpg Word Count: 500

Example Three: Genre: Romance Must Have: Three metaphors Word Count: 200

Voting

Voting will last one week and will open immediately after the new round of submissions have been posted. The only category will be popularity.

For each round there are two votes per person. Because many of us are narcissistic you can have an extra vote for yourself, if you think you deserve it. Do not vote using multiple accounts.

The author with the highest tally of votes at the end of the challenge will be crowned OMAA. The exact tally will be kept secret until the end of the challenge.

The drabble that receives the most votes overall will be awarded Overall Most Awesome Drabble (OMAD)

Results

Results will be posted below within 24 hours after the close of voting, and the three most popular drabbles will be announced. The exact voting tallies for each round will not be revealed until the conclusion of the challenge when we will also reveal who wrote which drabbles.

To Join

To enter the Battle of the Drabbles you must post two ideas for challenges. You may specify word count, themes, must-haves or anything else you can think of. Your suggestion may be altered if we think they're too specific so please keep it brief. Again, please bare in mind that you will not be able to tell people which drabbles you have written until the end of the challenge and that you must have a response for every round if you wish to win OMAA.

9/20/2012 . Edited 9/21/2012 #1
Ha'niqua

Challenge One:

Influence: Opinions Won't Keep You Warm At Night - Kisschasy

Must include: A political alliance

Word count: 1000

Challenge Two:

Prompt: "There are two kinds of people in this world"

Influence: http://haniqua.tumblr.com/post/4834191155/repose-by-haniqua

Word count: 750

9/20/2012 . Edited 9/26/2012 #2
SunnyStorms

Challenge One:

Subvert or put a twist on a DG cliche.

Challenge Two:

Prompt: Poison, Lipstick

9/20/2012 #3
Boogum

Challenge One:

Influence: Write DG piece inspired by this picture: http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g294/boogum/mazeprompt_zps183db7b2.jpg

Word count: 750 words.

Challenge Two:

Prompt: "I don't believe in tomorrow".

Must-Have: No dialogue. In other words, you will have to use action/thoughts to get this message across.

Word count: 500 words.

9/20/2012 . Edited 9/21/2012 #4
ABitOfBlack

Challenge one

Prompt: Pandora's Box was about to be opened.

Word Count: 750

Challenge two

Genre: Comedy

Must have: A Weasley on fire and/or a Slytherin handing out flowers

Word Count: 500

9/21/2012 #5
occasionally-maybe-never

Challenge One:

Prompt: "Do you really intend to be an arrogant nobody for the rest of your life?"

Challenge Two:

Prompt: Desperation

Must Haves: An unexpected Character death.

Word Count: 700

9/21/2012 #6
TuesdayNovember

Challenge One:

Inspiration: "The tears of the world are a constant quantity. For each one who begins to weep, somewhere else another stops." (Waiting for Godot)

Word count: 100

Challenge Two:

Prompt: Sin and temptation

Word count: 500

9/21/2012 . Edited 9/21/2012 #7
imadoodlenoodle

Challenge One:

Influence: http://www.beloveds.net/images/old-world-map.jp

Challenge Two:

Influence: Lana Del Rey, Summertime Sadness

Music - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVjsGKrE6E8

Lyrics - http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/lanadelrey/summertimesadness.html

9/21/2012 #8
cherryredxx

Challenge One:

Theme: Forgiveness

Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZrjXsQ_KUM

Challenge Two:

Title: Frozen Roses

Must include: Either a Malfoy or Weasley heirloom

Word Limit: 750

9/21/2012 . Edited 9/21/2012 #9
Anise

I can't BELIEVE I'm doing this, but here goes...

Challenge one

Must have: At least one vegetable that did not grow well at all in Ginny's garden that year.

Challenge two

Genre: Drama/angst

Must have: Draco is sure that Ginny has betrayed him. She hasn't. But there's a reason why she can't tell him the truth about her real motive.

Word Count: 750.

9/21/2012 #10
idreamofdraco

Challenge one

Prompt: "Everybody's got a dark side. Do you love me? Can you love mine?"

Word count: 750

Challenge two

Prompt: A bad hair day

9/22/2012 . Edited 9/23/2012 #11
writerdragonfly

Challenge One:

Quote: "After a while you learn that kisses don't always mean something, promises can be broken just as quickly as they are made, and goodbyes really are forever."

Word Count: 750

Challenge Two:

Inspiration: (picture) http://goo.gl/1olUo

Edited to add larger and clearer image to challenge two.

9/22/2012 . Edited 9/22/2012 #12
Ha'niqua

Ky, could you find a larger and clearer version of that image for your second prompt?

9/22/2012 #13
Anise

So I left my scheduler at a restaurant where I just went with some friends... one of them probably has it, but I won't get it back until at least tomorrow. The point is that MY ENTIRE BRAIN is contained in it. Because of that, I will now ask a dumb question.

(people brace themselves)

How exactly do we sign up? Here, or somewhere else, or...?

(/dumb question)

9/22/2012 #14
idreamofdraco

By replying in this thread with your two challenge offerings. So you're done!

9/22/2012 #15
amethyst-rose

One:

Prompt: Pick a season and use this as a reference point in a story that captures the events of 10 years.

Word Count: 1000

Two:

Quote: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

9/25/2012 . Edited 9/25/2012 #16
Aerileigh

1 - "Well, then."

Prompt - an unexpected love triangle

Include - a thorough kiss

2 - "Vow"

Inspiration - The Eternal Vow (from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon) as played by Yo Yo Ma

Inspiration - Emily Dickinson's poem, "I gave myself to him" (Love, #22) (http://www.bartleby.com/113/3022.html)

*The titles I've given the prompts do not need to be the titles of the drabbles.

9/26/2012 #17
ThePenguinofDeath

Never done this before, but here goes...

Challenge One:

Prompt: 'We are the fallen angels'

Word Count: 500-700

Challenge Two:

Genre: Hurt/Comfort

Must Have: The phrase 'But you don't even like ice-cream!'

Word Count: 300

9/27/2012 #18
imadoodlenoodle

Sign-up now closed and the challenge will begin tomorrow.

Good luck.

9/30/2012 #19
imadoodlenoodle

Round One:

Prompt: Write DG piece inspired by this picture: http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g294/boogum/mazeprompt_zps183db7b2.jpg

Good luck to all participants for this round.

Submissions for this round close on Sunday 7th October at noon, so please ensure your drabble is submitted to imadoodlenoodle (at) gmail.com according to the format outlined above with plenty of time to spare.

Please keep in mind that submissions sent after this deadline will not be entered, and will disqualify you from running for the coveted OMAA award.

10/1/2012 #20
imadoodlenoodle

Round Two:

Word count: 1000 words.

Submissions for this round close on Sunday 14th October at noon, so please ensure your drabble is submitted to imadoodlenoodle (at) gmail.com according to the format outlined above with plenty of time to spare.

Please keep in mind that submissions sent after this deadline will not be entered, and will disqualify you from running for the coveted OMAA award.

--

A link will be posted later to the published story which will be up soon. Please read, review, and vote! [And spread the word!]

10/7/2012 #21
The DG Forum

The Battle of the Drabbles story is now up! Make sure you read, review and vote!

You can find the voting poll on the forum profile.

10/7/2012 #22
amethyst-rose

I'm not going to get my submission done for this round (on time, will try write it later). RL has been far too hectic and today, my only free day, I have a splitting headache.

10/13/2012 #23
Ha'niqua

That's okay Kiki, hope you feel better soon!

10/13/2012 #24
imadoodlenoodle

Round Three:

Prompt: A bad hair day

Submissions for this round close on Sunday 21st October at noon, so please ensure your drabble is submitted to imadoodlenoodle (at) gmail.com according to the format outlined above with plenty of time to spare.

Please keep in mind that submissions sent after this deadline will not be entered, and will disqualify you from running for the coveted OMAA award. If you are unable to submit please do email.

10/14/2012 #25
Ha'niqua

The polls for Round One of the Battle of the Drabbles have closed, the votes have been tallied, and the results are in!

Round One Challenge Prompt:

Prompt: Write DG piece inspired by this picture: http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g294/boogum/mazeprompt_zps183db7b2.jpg

Results

1st - Too Far Lost In This Maze, Gravel and Thorns

2nd - Devotion, Of Fear and Truth, Measuring Up

3rd - Martyr for the Stars, Meet me at the Center

Congratulations to the authors of Too Far Lost In This Maze and Gravel and Thorns for winning Round One, as their Drabbles are now in the running for the OMAD award. The exact tally of votes for these Drabbles will be revealed at the conclusion of the competition.

Good luck to all authors for Round Two of the Battle of the Drabbles, which will be posted shortly. Please ensure you read all submissions for this round and delegate your two points (as per the rules) appropriately. The polls for this round will close once the next round of drabbles are posted, and no points will be awarded after this time.

10/14/2012 #26
Boogum

Round Two for the Battle of the Drabbles is up. Remember to visit the forum profile to vote. The poll can be found at the very top of the profile.

10/14/2012 #27
imadoodlenoodle

Round Four:

Prompt: 'We are the fallen angels'

Word count: 500-700 words

Submissions for this round close on Sunday 28th October at noon, so please ensure your drabble is submitted to imadoodlenoodle (at) gmail.com according to the format outlined above with plenty of time to spare.

Please keep in mind that submissions sent after this deadline will not be entered, and will disqualify you from running for the coveted OMAA award. If you are unable to submit please do email.

10/21/2012 #28
Ha'niqua

The polls for Round Two of the Battle of the Drabbles have closed, the votes have been tallied, and the results are in!

Round Two Challenge Prompt:

Results

1st - Clockwork

2nd - Purely Political, And You Will Like It

Congratulations to the author of Clockwork for winning Round Two, as her Drabble is now in the running for the OMAD award. The exact tally of votes for these Drabbles will be revealed at the conclusion of the competition.

Good luck to all authors for Round Three of the Battle of the Drabbles, which will be posted shortly. Please ensure you read all submissions for this round and delegate your two points (as per the rules) appropriately. The polls for this round will close once the next round of drabbles are posted, and no points will be awarded after this time.

10/21/2012 . Edited 10/28/2012 #29
The DG Forum

Round Three for the Battle of the Drabbles is up. Remember to visit the forum profile to vote. The poll can be found at the very top of the profile.

10/21/2012 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: rowan-greenleaf Boogum, The DG Forum, Aerileigh
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member