Of Cabbages and Kings
Looking for intelligent life at Fanfiction Net? We feature something for everyone: casual chat, serious discussion, debate, fun and games, and that delicious wank. Are you ready to play with the big dogs? Come inside, come inside!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

Iggy, as promised -- Ghost Riders in the Sky. I love this song!

When I was about thirteen, my parents took me to a rodeo in Milwaukee's old Arena. It had all the usual events -- bronc and bull riding, barrel racing and calf roping. But the thing that stuck with me was an entertainment portion. They turned off the lights, and put Ghost Riders in the Sky on the PA. Then, in came riders on horses whose white markings (blaze, socks, etc.) and manes and tails were highlighted in phosforescent paint. The cowboys had select portions of their costumes painted too, and they galloped around the ring to the music. It was definitely spooky and dramatic. I've liked that song ever since.

Someone on our Geezer's Rock station does a cover of it -- I think it's Badfinger, but don't quote me. I hadn't really heard it in years.

2/8/2009 #61
hixto

That song was one of my dad's favorites too. I heard it again just recently and it still gives me chills. It's such a haunting song, no pun intended. The way you were introduced to it has to be the best way ever. I'll bet that was quite a spectacle.

2/8/2009 #62

Oh yeah -- it was something else!

There are some songs that are so classic they transcend the generations -- The Animals' cover of The House of the Rising Sun comes to mind. And Metallica doing Whiskey in the Jar.

I guess I'm a sucker for that haunting, minor key sound.

2/8/2009 #63
hixto

They used to call songs like that "standards". I wonder what are considered standards among songs from back in our era. I know many of the Beatles and Elvis songs qualify. I wonder what else.

2/9/2009 #64

I wonder what are considered standards among songs from back in our era.

Stairway to Heaven. I think there's some kind of rock and roll law that says it must be played at least once a day. I don't mind --it's a good song.

I think I've said it before -- I'm not as impressed with the Beatles as many others are. I much prefer the Stones and the Doors, musically.

2/9/2009 #65

So, Katie darling, did you get any more writing done?

2/9/2009 #66
EmpyrealFantasy

Still not on anything that really matters, but that oneshot I was writing (the only thing I could write) is now about 8 pages long. I missed being able to write so freely like this. *sigh*

How was your day yesterday, love? ^^

Oh, and from Timeclock:

*snort* I was going to say, you've never been shy about that before. ;P

*sniggers* Oh, never. ;) Not with you, anyway.

2/9/2009 . Edited 2/9/2009 #67

Still not on anything that really matters, but that oneshot I was writing (the only thing I could write) is now about 8 pages long. I missed being able to writ eso freely like this. *sigh*

I was going great guns on my current WIP, but then I got sick and it killed my muse dead. I kind of have to feel the moment to write well, and it's just not happening.

How was your day yesterday, love? ^^

A good day. I worked out for the first time in February. *hangs head* I puttered around here, and then my son and the kids paid a surprise visit. We went out with the horses for a while and then had some beer. That was the end of me being productive for the day. LOL

2/9/2009 . Edited 2/9/2009 #68
EmpyrealFantasy

Productivity isn't everything. XD Did the kids behave? And how is S?

2/9/2009 #69

Did the kids behave?

Kinda, sorta. The younger girl took money from our cashbox, but at least she showed it to Grandpa and asked if we'd give it to her. (That's an improvement, at least.) Um, no -- we need that to buy groceries. LOL

The boy was good -- didn't freak out when Ginger jumped around a little when he got on.

And how is S?

He's okay. Got blond highlights put into his hair and he's using product. That woman is having an effect on him. LOL

2/9/2009 #70
EmpyrealFantasy

LOL, wow, seriously? What is it wioth women and giving their poor boys makeovers? Blah!

Kinda, sorta. The younger girl took money from our cashbox, but at least she showed it to Grandpa and asked if we'd give it to her. (That's an improvement, at least.) Um, no -- we need that to buy groceries. LOL

Hopefully that doesn't lead to her no longer asking, since she knows the answer. But that is an improvement that she'd not hide it. Sad one, perhaps, but still.

Have I told you what a sidestepper you were lately? ;) Just a comment.

2/9/2009 #71
EmpyrealFantasy

Hey, love, quick punctuation problem. In the following sentence, what is the proper punctuation for the actual dialogue to keep the continuity of the leading and following phrases? Or should I change the dialogue to single quotes?

There were two distinct answers to that question, and he toiled for a moment over which to choose. In the end he went with a simple, “Slim to none, you damned pervert,” and tried to ignore the grateful look Akihiko gave him.

2/9/2009 . Edited 2/9/2009 #72

LOL, wow, seriously? What is it wioth women and giving their poor boys makeovers? Blah!

Heh -- he probably could use one. We're not exactly high-fashion, either of us.

Hopefully that doesn't lead to her no longer asking, since she knows the answer. But that is an improvement that she'd not hide it. Sad one, perhaps, but still.

Yes -- but we still need to work on the concept of not going through people's private stuff when you're a guest in their homes. No one seems to have taught her that so far.

Have I told you what a sidestepper you were lately? ;) Just a comment.

It's just a jump to the left

And then a step to the right

With your hands on your hips

You bring your knees in tight

But it's the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane . . .

;)

2/9/2009 #73

Hey, love, quick punctuation problem. In the following sentence, what is the proper punctuation for the actual dialogue to keep the continuity of the leading and following phrases? Or should I change the dialogue to single quotes?

There were two distinct answers to that question, and he toiled for a moment over which to choose. In the end he went with a simple, “Slim to none, you damned pervert,” and tried to ignore the grateful look Akihiko gave him.

Looking at it very carefully, I'd leave it in double quotes.

2/9/2009 #74
EmpyrealFantasy

Heh -- he probably could use one. We're not exactly high-fashion, either of us.

LOL! XD He's a good looking kid, though; there's no reason to need a makeover, high fashion or no. :P

...I really shouldn't call those older than me kids. XDDD

we still need to work on the concept of not going through people's private stuff when you're a guest in their homes. No one seems to have taught her that so far.

Yes... that might be a valuable life lesson. -_____-

But it's the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane . . .

Oh, baby, don't I know it. XD Let's do it-- err, the Time Warp again. ;)

2/9/2009 #75
EmpyrealFantasy

Looking at it very carefully, I'd leave it in double quotes.

And are the commas alright? I'm pretty good with regular dialogue, but when it comes to something like this, I just don't know.

2/9/2009 #76

And are the commas alright?

My instincts are to use the commas, but I'm old school. Maybe Iggy can weigh in on this when he gets back tonight.

2/9/2009 #77

LOL! XD He's a good looking kid, though; there's no reason to need a makeover, high fashion or no. :P

He also has had very good taste in clothing from an early age. His favorite colors were all in a muted blue palette which suited him very well. The GF likes to dress him in green plaid and khakis, which I'm not sure is an improvement. I hold my tongue, but his BFF Will C. had some pithy comments to make about the new look the first time he saw it. Wish I'd been a fly on the wall. LOL

My son is good-looking, as you might expect. Have you seen a recent picture of him, though?

Yes... that might be a valuable life lesson. -_____-

I know I sound like a fuss-budget, but I don't like people rummaging through my desk drawers. She's done that too -- playing 'office'.

In RL that can get you beaten up or incarcerated.

2/9/2009 #78
EmpyrealFantasy

LOL, his Will sounds like a character. I remember some other stories you've told me about that one.

My son is good-looking, as you might expect. Have you seen a recent picture of him, though?

From when Ginger first arrived, yes. And green plaid? Ugh. I know she's a little on the... umm... country side, but please.

She's done that too -- playing 'office'.

Wow. That is a 'lock up all bad things!' kind of situation. But those are also important lessons she needs to learn -- respecting privacy and the belongings of others. It will get her in serious trouble later.

2/9/2009 #79

LOL, his Will sounds like a character. I remember some other stories you've told me about that one.

Will is a hoot. Did I share about the 'Hour of Power' at my son's birthday party?

From when Ginger first arrived, yes.

In that case, he might be a tad thinner now. They got really serious about going to the Y very night.

Wow. That is a 'lock up all bad things!' kind of situation.

Or just the important papers you don't want lost. We don't have any sex toys or anything. LOL

2/9/2009 #80
EmpyrealFantasy

Will is a hoot. Did I share about the 'Hour of Power' at my son's birthday party?

I'm not sure, but you told me some amusing things from that party.

In that case, he might be a tad thinner now. They got really serious about going to the Y very night.

Good for him! I wish I had the motivation to give a damn about my weight.

We don't have any sex toys or anything. LOL

*grins* But, love, what about our USB ideas? ;) ;) ;)

2/9/2009 #81

*grins* But, love, what about our USB ideas? ;) ;) ;)

Google "teledildonics" -- I can't even copyright the idea. LOL

2/9/2009 #82
EmpyrealFantasy

I am sure, though, that we can put a new spin on the idea! We had some good thoughts on it, damnit. XP Stupid people, stealing our ideas before we even had them...

2/9/2009 #83

I am sure, though, that we can put a new spin on the idea!

"Spin"? As in, sit on it and rotate? LOL

Stupid people, stealing our ideas before we even had them...

*nods* Let me tell you about this other cool idea I had. It's this round thing that supports wagons . . . ;P

2/9/2009 #84
EmpyrealFantasy

"Spin"? As in, sit on it and rotate? LOL

...well, there's an idea. XD Put those spinning office chairs to good use! However, that would make you take your eyes off the screen...

*nods* Let me tell you about this other cool idea I had. It's this round thing that supports wagons . . . ;P

Ah, your friend stole that idea from you a few billion years ago, didn't he...? ;)

2/9/2009 #85

Ah, your friend stole that idea from you a few billion years ago, didn't he...? ;)

Yes, because I'm that old. Damn that Methuselah, anyway! LOL

2/9/2009 #86
EmpyrealFantasy

Yes, because I'm that old. Damn that Methuselah, anyway! LOL

I know. Remember my antiques comment? ;)

2/9/2009 #87

I'm glad you like old things. ;)

2/9/2009 #88
EmpyrealFantasy

You know that I don't consider you old. *kiss*

What are you up to, love?

2/9/2009 #89
Aislynn Crowdaughter

*Steps in gingerly*

Whom are you calling old?

2/9/2009 #90
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Thranduil Oropherion Redux militaryhistory
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member