Of Cabbages and Kings
Looking for intelligent life at Fanfiction Net? We feature something for everyone: casual chat, serious discussion, debate, fun and games, and that delicious wank. Are you ready to play with the big dogs? Come inside, come inside!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 45 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 65 .. Last Next »
Clodia

Well, I trust your judgement, if not mine. :'D

(I do mean that semi-seriously; I suspect I'm pretty bad at assessing my own work sometimes.)

11/16/2009 #1,621
Clodia

Also, to change the subject slightly, the online scams: they're getting smart! Does anyone want to help a lady in distress?

Hello. I'm happy to inform you about my success in getting those funds transferred under the co-operation of a new partner from New Zealand. Presently i'm in far away Auckland with his help as immigration officer. We are presently planning for our wedding. Since we stopped communication, i still had it in mind that you were a very good and honest person, i didn't forget your past efforts and attempts to assist me in transferring those funds despite that it failed us some how which was not your fault but according to the way God wanted it to be. I appreciate all you tried doing for me then. My new fiance helped in transfering my fund and getting me out of the refugee camp to his country but after the transfer, i reserved some amount behind in the bank to be sent to you as compensation for your efforts then to help me out. Now contact the reverend father's secretary in Senegal, his name is MrJohn.Ndiaya () ask hi! m to send you the total sum of $800,000.00 which i kept for your compensation for all the past efforts and attempts to assist me in this matter. I appreciated your efforts at that time very much. so feel free and get in touched with the secretary immediately and direct him on where to send the amount. Please do let me know immediately you receive it so that we can share the joy after all the odeal we went through at that time. In the moment, I’m very busy here because of the investment projects which we are having at hand coppled with our marriage plans and i had done this favour to you without my finacee's notice, so please get in touch with MrJohn.Ndiaya as i had forwarded instruction to him on your behalf to receive that money, he will send the amount to you without any delay. Regards, Mary.

(I have no idea why Mary thinks I've helped her out in the past, or indeed why she's signing herself Mary when the email address suggests someone called Vivian Ilov in Canada.)

11/16/2009 #1,622
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

Now contact the reverend father's secretary in Senegal, his name is MrJohn.Ndiaya () ask hi! m to send you the total sum of $800,000.00 which i kept for your compensation for all the past efforts and attempts to assist me in this matter. I appreciated your efforts at that time very much. so feel free and get in touched with the secretary immediately and direct him on where to send the amount.

Right. Your bank account and social security numbers are all it will take. ;P

11/16/2009 #1,623
Virtuella

Cool person to have both a fiance and a fiancee!

11/16/2009 #1,624

Cool person to have both a fiance and a fiancee!

New Zealand must have some very forward-thinking marriage laws!

11/16/2009 #1,625
Virtuella

LOL

11/16/2009 #1,626
Aislynn Crowdaughter

The first I got of these was an actual written letter sent to my mother by snail mail, years ago. I did not know it was a scam back then and hesitated what to do about it for a week or so, before I learned about that kind of stuff. Nowadays, they come by e-mail and I Just delete them.

And I like Goldilocks, too. :)

11/16/2009 #1,627

The first I got of these was an actual written letter sent to my mother by snail mail, years ago. I did not know it was a scam back then and hesitated what to do about it for a week or so, before I learned about that kind of stuff. Nowadays, they come by e-mail and I Just delete them.

The only one that ever came near to snaring me was an official-looking notification from the Ford Motor Company that I'd won a promotional sweepstakes. Since we owned a Ford at the time, I looked twice. The logo was very convincing -- the only giveaway was the UK email address.

Just like the snail mail scams with the Florida return addresses on them, anything from the UK, especially with an African sounding name raises an automatic red flag.

11/16/2009 #1,628
Aislynn Crowdaughter

The only one that ever came near to snaring me was an official-looking notification from the Ford Motor Company that I'd won a promotional sweepstakes. Since we owned a Ford at the time, I looked twice. The logo was very convincing -- the only giveaway was the UK email address.

I got a few alarming mails that told me there was something wrong with my paypal or my e-bay account. Of course, since they all were sent to addresses I have no such account under, they were easy to identify, but well...

The other scam scheme we have a lot, currently, are all tese telephone calls telling the receiver they should call back and claim a prize that has been registrated for the, On a payed line that cost about three Euros per minute, and while the receiver never entered a lottery...

11/16/2009 #1,629
Rainstorm Amaya Arianrhod

Dad got one a couple of years ago on the family email, whereupon he called me and my brother downstairs for an impromptu half-hour lecture on scams. Have any of you ever come across the fake virus protection one? It's not an email, just one that pops up on some websites, but it's really quite convincing.

I don't even want to think about some of the stuff still on my profile. *facepalm*

11/16/2009 #1,630

I got the fake virus one. It claimed to be a Windows program and first showed up after an update. The only thing that made me suspicious was that it asked for my credit card number for the 'subscription' and then wouldn't shut down. That was what prompted my complete OS reinstall.

I worry about my mother with email scams, because she would sooo fall for them. :(

11/16/2009 #1,631
Aislynn Crowdaughter

I worry about my mother with email scams, because she would sooo fall for them. :(

You could try install Firefox with addstop plug in on her computer and de-install the Internet Explorer. Also a noscrip plugin. After tghat, most of these things won't work there, anymore. When I try to open up a website with a scam on it, most of the time the scam software simply gets blocked and does not run. ^^

11/16/2009 #1,632

She uses Juno for email. And she might just answer one of those with the information requested. Thank goodness she doesn't know how to websurf.

11/16/2009 #1,633
Rainstorm Amaya Arianrhod

I got the fake virus one. It claimed to be a Windows program and first showed up after an update. The only thing that made me suspicious was that it asked for my credit card number for the 'subscription' and then wouldn't shut down. That was what prompted my complete OS reinstall.

I encountered one on Facebook, of all places. What alerted me was that they misspelt half the words... It kept replicating on my screen, refused to close, and I had to shut my computer right down before it went away.

11/16/2009 #1,634
Aislynn Crowdaughter

I need an overview of the facebook addresses of those who have them. At the monent, I have only connections to lj.

11/16/2009 #1,635
Virtuella

Choose me, Aislynn! Choose me as a friend on facebook!

11/16/2009 #1,636
Gwenneth Tinuiel

Aislynn getting face book??? :D

Add me!!!!

11/16/2009 #1,637
Gogol

Ooh, ooh, add me.

11/16/2009 #1,638
Virtuella

Hey, you on facebook, too? *puppy eyes*

11/16/2009 #1,639
Aislynn Crowdaughter

Uh, guys... I do not have a Facebook account. At least not yet. And I was not really planning on one... I mean I am really flattered and all, but... Um... ^^

11/18/2009 . Edited 11/18/2009 #1,640
Virtuella

Sorry, Aislynn, we seem to have misunderstood you. So, who else is on facebook then?

11/18/2009 #1,641
Clodia

I think LJ is more fun. (I am increasingly in love with LJ.)

Also, when I complained about Cicero, my sister threatened to get me Robert Harris's Imperium for Christmas. She is a horrid child.

*sulks*

11/19/2009 #1,642
Virtuella

I can't navigate LiveJournal. :(

11/19/2009 #1,643
Clodia

Aww, but it becomes more comprehensible very quickly! And everything just miraculously turns up in the flist, it's wonderful.

11/19/2009 #1,644
Clodia

(Also it's nice to have a private internet nest to arrange entirely to one's own liking and line with fic and whimsy and shiny things.)

11/19/2009 #1,645

I can't navigate LiveJournal. :(

Do you have a live Journal, Virtuella?

11/19/2009 #1,646
Clodia

She does, but she doesn't use it.

*cajoles Virtuella*

11/19/2009 #1,647

*cajoles Virtuella*

*adds in cajoling*

Live Journal is easy to use once you get the hang of it.

11/19/2009 #1,648
Virtuella

Well, I've tried it, but lost patience. It seems so full of stuff I haven't got a clue what it's supposed to be.

11/19/2009 #1,649
Clodia

A cosy place to archive fics as per personal preference, talk to people and have cute pictures of baby animals turn up on a regular basis?

11/19/2009 #1,650
« Prev Page 1 .. 45 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 65 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Thranduil Oropherion Redux militaryhistory
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member