Of Cabbages and Kings
Looking for intelligent life at Fanfiction Net? We feature something for everyone: casual chat, serious discussion, debate, fun and games, and that delicious wank. Are you ready to play with the big dogs? Come inside, come inside!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 46 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 66 .. Last Next »
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

Hm. It could also be a flashback to a meeting of the council that happened before the whole journey took place, and then it would make sense - the council meeting at Lothlorien would provide sauron with too much possibilities to observe the comings and goings of oit's members, given that they meet just across the water.

In which case, the whole adventure of Bilbo and the Dwarves was just one huge diversion to keep Smaug busy, which is something I've always suspected.

12/22/2011 #1,651
Aislynn Crowdaughter

In which case, the whole adventure of Bilbo and the Dwarves was just one huge diversion to keep Smaug busy, which is something I've always suspected.

That, and keep Sauron wondering. What the hell is that old guy doing now, I thought they were about to prepare war on *me*?!

But it may also be that the 'diversion' really aimed at keeping Smaug off aiding the Necromancer. Still, it could have all gone terribly wrong, what with that Orc attack coming down on them, and if Bard had but missed his shot... the whole tale of the Third age would have worked out much different. Mirkwood aflame, Laketown burned to ashes, the Dwarves of the royal line of Durin decimated, and one lone foolish Hobbit bumbling about with an odd golden Ring...

12/22/2011 #1,652

Yes, except for Bard's lucky shot things could have gone very badly.

12/22/2011 #1,653
Aislynn Crowdaughter

I know you have expounded in your stories on this, but well, Gandalf does seem to have a tendency to play hazard...

Anyway. That Dwarven song in the trailer made me shiver. And the whole note of the movie seems to be much darker than the book, which is a good thing in my view. And then that short glimpse about Gollum... *shivers*

I admit the trailer made me squee. :)

12/22/2011 #1,654

I know you have expounded in your stories on this, but well, Gandalf does seem to have a tendency to play hazard...

For me, it was the passage in the UT where Gandalf congratulates himself on taking down the dragon, because it might have attacked Imladris during the Ring War and there would be no Queen in Gondor. That's all well and good, but the dragon attacked Laketown, which most likely had a larger population than Rivendell, and many Dwarves, Men, and Elves died in the Battle of the Five Armies. I sense this theme that Noldorin lives are more precious than other kinds.

Oh, I did like the music to that song. I had always kind of heard it in my mind with a tra-la-lally type of melody. Shore's music catches the deep and serious nature of the Dwarves.

12/22/2011 #1,655
Nimbus Llewelyn

ROTFL! And that means, Celebrian left Elrond because with Vilya, he is all airy about loves proceedings? ;D

Maybe he was as quick as a gale.

Imladris along with Lothlorien and Mirkwood was a powerful base that had held out against the might of Sauron's armies in the second age, whereas Laketown would have crumbled, so it was rather more valuable strategically speaking.

12/22/2011 #1,656
Aislynn Crowdaughter

I had always kind of heard it in my mind with a tra-la-lally type of melody.

*shudders* yep, and I very much feared the whole movie would be rather in that tra-la-la-lally kind of tune. I am pleasantly surprised and happy it will be much darker. :)

12/22/2011 #1,657
Aislynn Crowdaughter

Imladris along with Lothlorien and Mirkwood was a powerful base that had held out against the might of Sauron's armies in the second age, whereas Laketown would have crumbled, so it was rather more valuable strategically speaking.

True. But even more, to Gandalf's mind, I fear the poor little "pieces" on the chess board did not matter so much as the whole - and Valar forbid that Sauron might be beaten, and there was no King for the poor mortal men to take over in the new age of peace. Where might it all have ended?!!!!101!

(Of course, Tolkien expounded on the ancient theme of the Once-and-Future-King, so he had to see Aragorn as the rightful and legitimate hope. But I sometimes wonder how a humble soldier, or handcraft-worker, or peasant of Gondor might have seen these things and the ren4ewed kingdom).

12/22/2011 #1,658

ROTFL! And that means, Celebrian left Elrond because with Vilya, he is all airy about loves proceedings? ;D

Maybe he was as quick as a gale.

Maybe his sexual preferences involved blowing? :P

If Bard hadn't hit his target, Mirkwood would have been in deep shit too. As someone remarked when I was new to fandom, no wonder Thranduil was cranky. The other Elven realms got Rings of Power whileall he got was a nice, neighborly dragon. Not to mention the Necromancer on his doorstep.

12/22/2011 #1,659
Aislynn Crowdaughter

And Spiders! Don't forget these! ;P

12/22/2011 #1,660

And the black squirrels! Those little buggers went straight for the nuts.

12/22/2011 #1,661
Aislynn Crowdaughter

And an enchanted forest stream. Anyway, Smaug did not seem to go out much as long as nobody touched his jewels. So, without that little thieving adventure, he might have been fairly endurable company, for the time being. Of course, him gone was probably much preferable, in the long run.

12/22/2011 #1,662
Nimbus Llewelyn

Indeed. Darker = interesting.

12/22/2011 #1,663
hixto

But I sometimes wonder how a humble soldier, or handcraft-worker, or peasant of Gondor might have seen these things and the ren4ewed kingdom).

Do I smell fanfic?

12/22/2011 #1,664
StarSpray

Indeed. Darker = interesting.

Am I the only one who likes how lighthearted-for-the-most-part The Hobbit is?

12/22/2011 #1,665
Nimbus Llewelyn

And an enchanted forest stream. Anyway, Smaug did not seem to go out much as long as nobody touched his jewels. So, without that little thieving adventure, he might have been fairly endurable company, for the time being. Of course, him gone was probably much preferable, in the long run.

As I recall, all he wanted was to be left alone with his jewels.

Am I the only one who likes how lighthearted-for-the-most-part The Hobbit is?

It works well in the book, but would be a tad ridiculous on film. Like the hobbits running-around-naked-in-joy part in the LOTR, which was thankfully cut.

12/22/2011 #1,666
StarSpray

It works well in the book, but would be a tad ridiculous on film.Well, yeah, some aspects of it. But the overall tone of The Hobbit is much lighter than LotR, and I'm really hoping that shows in the film.

It looks like PJ's aiming for a nice balance, since there was that shot in the trailer of the Dwarves chucking Bilbo's dishes around, along with the more serious stuff.

12/22/2011 #1,667
Aislynn Crowdaughter

Do I smell fanfic?

Hi, Iggy! Not from me, I feare - I am pretty stuck with the main characters. But it would be interesting to read such a story. :)

I have a knack to miss you, I fear - I am just on my way out. Have a wonderful Christmas and a great turning of the year! And thanks for the virtual gift at lj! :)

12/22/2011 #1,668
hixto

Hi, Iggy! Not from me, I feare - I am pretty stuck with the main characters. But it would be interesting to read such a story. :)

Aw, nuts! I don't want to write it either but it does sound like an interesting concept.

Merry Christmas, Aislynn! Have a wonderful time! :-)

12/22/2011 #1,669
Nimbus Llewelyn

Iggy!

I might do such a thing, but I have at least one absolute monster of a fic to do, another large one, and a project I'm working on with Milhist, plus schoolwork.

12/22/2011 #1,670
hixto

Nim!

You're spreading yourself too thin, my dear. You need to concentrate on one project at a time, like writing fanfic for my amusement.

12/22/2011 #1,671
Nimbus Llewelyn

*swats gently around head* I write fast (3000 words in less than 2 days. In the words of John McClane: "Yippee ki-yay motherfucker!"), and I'm mostly focusing on the monster fic at the moment, though if Milhist is around I'd like to send him a draft of a joint dresden/WWZ project (what the Dresden Files Characters were doing during the War).

And I do not solely operate for your amusement. If I did, I would spend my time finding your name and address, then your birthday and paying for a group of male strippers on your birthday.

12/22/2011 . Edited 12/22/2011 #1,672
hixto

*swats gently around head*

Ooh, that feels nice, like a cool ocean breeze.

I write fast (3000 words in less than 2 days.

That's a pretty good average. You can write a novel in no time with that kind of productivity. if Milhist is around I'd like to send him a draft of a joint dresden/WWZ project (what the Dresden Files Characters were doing during the War).

Milhist is never around when you need him.

What were the characters doing during the war?

12/22/2011 #1,673
Nimbus Llewelyn

That's a pretty good average. You can write a novel in no time with that kind of productivity.Heh, that was a rarity (and most of it was in one day), and I average maybe 1500-2500 on a good day (when I have time and a it flows).

Milhist is never around when you need him.

Agreed.

What were the characters doing during the war?

Harry was leading Warden Alpha teams, Murphy wielded Fidelacchius, and Thomas got hold of Amoracchius, Badassery ensued.

12/22/2011 #1,674
hixto

I average maybe 1500-2500 on a good day (when I have time and a it flows).

Me too, and under those same conditions. The elements don't come together much anymore.

It's fun to collaborate with someone else. Are you splitting the load by chapter or by characters?

12/22/2011 #1,675
Nimbus Llewelyn

Probably a mix of the two.

12/22/2011 #1,676
hixto

I shall watch this space to see how it goes. :-)

On another note, the Hobbit trailer already looks better than the book.

12/22/2011 #1,677
Nimbus Llewelyn

You do that. BTW, where did you get your avatar?

12/22/2011 #1,678
hixto

Who, me? It's by an artist named Dawnlyn. She does beautiful work.

12/22/2011 #1,679
Nimbus Llewelyn

Where on the net?

12/22/2011 #1,680
« Prev Page 1 .. 46 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 66 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Thranduil Oropherion Redux militaryhistory
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member