Of Cabbages and Kings
Looking for intelligent life at Fanfiction Net? We feature something for everyone: casual chat, serious discussion, debate, fun and games, and that delicious wank. Are you ready to play with the big dogs? Come inside, come inside!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

As it says, this is the thread for asking questions about anything you need to know. Someone just may have the answer for you.

2/9/2009 #1

I'll start the topic off by asking for some help in editing and titling links. I know we can't link to anything outside FFN, but I'd like to be able to link to forum threads without showing that crappy URL.

I've used the 'edit link' button, answered all the questions, but my links will not show up as I titled them. What I'm I doing wrong here?

This is frustrating, because I'm used to titling links in html, and I'm not entirely stupid. :(

2/9/2009 #2
Aislynn Crowdaughter

I'll start the topic off by asking for some help in editing and titling links. I know we can't link to anything outside FFN, but I'd like to be able to link to forum threads without showing that crappy URL.

Lets see - you mark the word or sentence you wish to link and click on the link button. The link window opens. You open the site or post where you want to link to in a new tab or window. You copy the url. Then you insert the url in the Link url field, and the name you want to show in the Title field. Then you click on Insert. Javascript must needs be allowed to do that.

Adventures in Arda: All Things Tolkien

I've used the 'edit link' button, answered all the questions, but my links will not show up as I titled them. What I'm I doing wrong here?

It works for me. O_O

2/10/2009 #3

Lets see - you mark the word or sentence you wish to link and click on the link button. The link window opens. You open the site or post where you want to link to in a new tab or window. You copy the url. Then you insert the url in the Link url field, and the name you want to show in the Title field. Then you click on Insert. Javascript must needs be allowed to do that.

What I've always done is to copy the url of the page I want to link to and then paste it into the post, where it shows up as a link to a bare url:

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/56768/12523500/1/#12652952

Then, I select it and click on the link button to create or edit:

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/56768/12523500/1/#12652952

Then I answer all questions and click 'update' because that's the only option it gives me. But as you see, it did not name the link. It highlighted it, but no name. This is frustrating.

How can I allow javascript? Perhaps this is the problem?

2/10/2009 #4
Aislynn Crowdaughter

How can I allow javascript? Perhaps this is the problem?

I do not know Chrome as a browser, but usually, you do it at the preferences menu. However, on second thought, I do not really think you can even post at FFN with Javascript turned off, so I do not think that is the problem. You did enter the name of the link in the title field of the link pop-up window?

Maybe, the problem is that you start with posting the URL.

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/56768/12521345/1/#12655865

I did that here and inserted the name of the thread in the Title field. Result: the URL remains. It does not get replaced by the tiltle.

Now, I do it the other way round:

I start with the title of the thread I want to link to, then I highlight the title, click the link button, and insert the URL in the URL field, the title in the title field. Result:

Who The Heck Are Ya Thread

Voila. the name with underlying link shows. So, apparently, if you post an URL, you cannot rename it by the link button window, but if you post a name or word you wish to hold a link, then use the link button window to add the url, you will add the link to the word without showing the url.

Why that would be the case, I have no idea, but apparently it works that way.

2/11/2009 . Edited 2/11/2009 #5

I start with the title of the thread I want to link to, then I highlight the title, click the link button, and insert the URL in the URL field, the title in the title field. Result:

Who The Heck Are Ya Thread

Whoo-hoo! Worked like a charm! Thank you muchly, Aislynn!

2/11/2009 #6

Help me, Katieeeee! LOL

For anyone with computer knowledge I have a question in the Well of Woe.

5/5/2009 #7
Reader's Corner

I am not sure if it belongs in this thread but it is a question after all:

Can anyone enlightten me what kind of fashion statement makes a person wear his pants way below his hips? I mean it does't look any good to me at least, tha pants hanging down like a bag behind the knees.... and how does it not fall all the way down any way?

I have seen different degrees of this type but, I just came home seeing a man with a stroller dressed like that. He was right there bending as he was fixing something in the stroller and it was so odd..... the pants were on his thighs....

5/7/2009 . Edited 5/7/2009 #8

A long-waisted look is slimming, I'm told. However, cleavage is not aesthetic.

I'm also told that very baggy pants allow for the insertion and concealment of contraband. I know nothing about this, as I wear my pants comfortably tight and at my waist.

5/7/2009 #9
Reader's Corner

I'm also told that very baggy pants allow for the insertion and concealment of contraband. I know nothing about this, as I wear my pants comfortably tight and at my waist.

If he tried to put something in it and really use it like a bag, would it still be able to maintain its postion at that place? I still wonder how it was not already down... I mean pants stay at the waist because of the body shape and cut...

5/7/2009 #10
Aislynn Crowdaughter

Those baggy jeans were all the rage down here a few years ago. I hated them - I thought them absolutely ridiculous and did not understand why people liked them. So - no idea why anybody would choose to wear such a thing. -_-

5/8/2009 #11

Help! Anyone with some advanced computer skills?

Here's what happened:

1) I switched to my son's nicer monitor (plug and play), and it worked fine for two days. No problem.

2) Last night while shutting down, the computer gave me an error message about being unable to read such and such a line of such and such a file. Then it shut down.

3) This morning, when I attempted to connect via Compuserve (dial-up) I got the blue screen of death, telling me that Windows had shut down to protect my computer from serious damage. It said of the error continued, I should try uninstalling any recently installed hardware.

4) I switched back to the old monitor -- same error message.

5) I'm on the other CPU now and can dial-up just fine.

I'm stumped about how to fix this.

7/21/2009 . Edited 7/21/2009 #12
Aislynn Crowdaughter

Hi, there!

Sorry, I cannot help - maybe you should try contact Katie or Seth, directly? However, it sounds like a problem that has nothing to do with the monitor, or dial-up, but with the other computer, as you got the error even when you switched back to the old monitor, again. My condolences for the new computer trouble, in any case!

7/21/2009 #13

I am very frustrated at the moment. I know this has something to do with the other CPU, and probably with that error message I got on shutdown last night (which of course was gone before I had a chance to copy it, even if I could have understood it).

Compuserve works all right until I try to connect. Then I get a message about 'hardware' and something further about BIOS and caching, which I wouldn't understand even if it bit me. The best I can speculate is that it might have something to do with the modem.

To make matters even worse, the AVG I have on this computer tells me I can't update the virus definitions because the update manager file is missing. *headdesk* It's been at least two months since this CPU had an update.

Seth? Katie? If either of you see this, let me know what I should do next.

7/21/2009 #14
NiRi's Narrations

Randy, I hate to tell you this, but it looks to me like something in your operating system has gone bad (could be the result of a virus infection). I'm not a computer guru, but I've learned a lot over the past six months (mostly that computers are EVIL!). I seriously doubt the monitor switch had anything to do with what is going on. Sounds like what happened to me just before my ancient beast died. It could have been fixed with a reformatting but I didn't have the disks for that one. You may want to call a local computer geek who can take a look at it to see if you can salvage it or manage to back it up. Katie may know more, but that's my two cents. I hope you can fix it!

7/22/2009 #15

Randy, I hate to tell you this, but it looks to me like something in your operating system has gone bad (could be the result of a virus infection).

I was really afraid of that. I'm sure the message right before the previous shutdown about not being able to read a file is no coincidence. I think I have a corrupt file, which could be the result of a virus or just a simple computer brain-fart.

It could have been fixed with a reformatting but I didn't have the disks for that one. You may want to call a local computer geek who can take a look at it to see if you can salvage it or manage to back it up. Katie may know more, but that's my two cents. I hope you can fix it!

I still have the installation disks. I also have the leisure to backup and copy all my data to the other CPU should I decide to do a complete system restore. And if worse comes to worst, I can always call the Geek Squad.

It's just damned annoying, is all. And I hope someone who knows what she's about (like Katie) can come up with a less dire alternative.

7/22/2009 #16
EmpyrealFantasy

Ngh. D: I'm sorry to hear this, love.

Without seeing the error myself, I have to agree with NiRi's assessment. This seems like a system corruption since you BSoD'd. The monitor surely isn't it. There are other fixes... the right disks can correct such errors (depending on the error), and file retrieval can be done with an Ubuntu Live disk and no installation if there are complications with copying. But without being there to do something about it, this isn't really something I can walk you through. D:

I could come visit in September? :P LOL.

Can you get it booted up at all?

This is could also be harddrive failure -- how old is the PC?

7/22/2009 . Edited 7/22/2009 #17

Can you get it booted up at all?

Yes -- works fine until I try to dial up. Then I get the blue screen. Three times now. I'm on the other CPU, in case you're wondering.

7/22/2009 #18

Well, it looks as if I might finally be forced into getting DSL. Iggy asked a computer wonk friend of his, and DSL might bypass my modem and the possible corrupt Compuserve program. *sigh*

*DO NOT NEED*

7/22/2009 #19
Nieriel Raina

Can you uninstall the compuserve program and reinstall a fresh version? If it's the program that's corrupted, that might do the trick. Maybe. Not that I know. Is pulling ideas out of hat.

7/23/2009 #20
EmpyrealFantasy

Unlikely, since a BSoD usually means something very mandatory is corrupted. It isn't a program failure but a hardware one. Very unlucky, to be sure. :(

7/23/2009 #21
Aislynn Crowdaughter

It isn't a program failure but a hardware one. Very unlucky, to be sure. :(

It's odd, though, that it only happens when the dial-in program is started. Which hardware problem could be related to that?

When my old computer died, the first sign was that the computer did a complete reset and new start as soon as I went online. Next time, it stayed well for about half an hour before it did that restart again. At first, I thought it was connected to me getting online, but as it turned out, my mainboard slowly said goodbye and finally decided to die on me. Since the computer as a whole was too old to replace just the mainboard without replacing the other components, too, I bought a new one. The seeming connection with being online turned out to be mere coincidence, in that case.

But Randy says as long as the compuserve software does not run, everything is fine. So, WTF?

7/23/2009 #22
Aislynn Crowdaughter

Well, it looks as if I might finally be forced into getting DSL. Iggy asked a computer wonk friend of his, and DSL might bypass my modem and the possible corrupt Compuserve program. *sigh*

*DO NOT NEED*

DSL is good, though. You can watch YouTube and download pictures, software and other big files in far less time. I could not imagine being forced to go back to dial-up again, for more than a short time, now.

BTW, is there no way to bypass the compuserve program even with dial-up? I never use the software of my Internet provider to dial in, as I hate that program with a passion. Of course, I am on DSL, now, but as far as I recall I did bypass it already when I still used dial-up. (I admit I had some geeky friends make that configuration for me, though, as I fear I am pretty hopeless when it gets to fixing computer stuff, myself).

7/23/2009 #23

Can you uninstall the compuserve program and reinstall a fresh version? If it's the program that's corrupted, that might do the trick. Maybe. Not that I know. Is pulling ideas out of hat.

That was one of the first suggestions Iggy's friend made. I don't think it will solve the problem, but it can't hurt.

7/23/2009 #24

Unlikely, since a BSoD usually means something very mandatory is corrupted. It isn't a program failure but a hardware one. Very unlucky, to be sure. :(

Since the Compuserve program opens just fine -- I can access my file cabinet, etc. -- and only gives me trouble at the point where the modem is asked to begin the dial-up process, I suspect trouble with the modem rather than the Compuserve program. It requires 'drivers' (files) to run the modem, correct?

7/23/2009 #25

It's odd, though, that it only happens when the dial-in program is started. Which hardware problem could be related to that?

The modem. A modem is hardware, even though a corrupt file can make it impossible to work the modem. I think.

But Randy says as long as the compuserve software does not run, everything is fine. So, WTF?

Compuserve is running fine, up until the point I try to have the computer dail the access number. So . . . scratches head.

I probably need to get a real live computer dude from Geek Squad to recreate the problem and diagnose it. It'll cost me. I'd hate to go to the trouble and expense of getting DSL and have it still not work.

7/23/2009 #26

BTW, is there no way to bypass the compuserve program even with dial-up? I never use the software of my Internet provider to dial in, as I hate that program with a passion.

I think there probably is, but I've never had any success doing that. And if the problem is the modem, I'm still out of luck. This is one more reason for finally making the switch to DSL. My only excuse so far is sheer laziness -- not wanting the change all my email addresses, as I'd have to let Compuserve drop. The ability to use the phone while online will more than make up for that, though.

7/23/2009 #27
Aislynn Crowdaughter

Compuserve is running fine, up until the point I try to have the computer dail the access number. So . . . scratches head.

I probably need to get a real live computer dude from Geek Squad to recreate the problem and diagnose it. It'll cost me. I'd hate to go to the trouble and expense of getting DSL and have it still not work.

Hu? Blue Screen of Death by Internet access? That is odd, indeed. Could it be that the driver of the modem (or the connection itself) tries to use or access an library or an address that the operating system needs to run? Or am I just proving my complete ineptitude in regard to computers, at the moment?

Is the modem an intern modem card, or an extern one? If the modem is the problem, maybe a new modem card (or, if it is extern, a new modem) may do the trick. I had an extern modem when I still had dial-up, because I could switch it off when necessary, that way.

In any case, as I said before, DSL - despite probably being more expensive - is a wonderful thing which I would not want to miss, anymore. My fast Internet connection and the ability to watch (short) movies, download all kind of docoments or pictures quickly, and so on is something theb has really added to my living quality (although it has also added considerably to my Internet addiction. Whiuch may be a bad thing). -___-

And you have dynamic IP addresses, which is another upside. :)

Meanwhile, I'd say to consider getting an extern hard drive, too, to comfortably back up everything you have on the troubled computer. That should give you far more safe in regard of avoiding possible data loss.

7/23/2009 #28

Hu? Blue Screen of Death by Internet access? That is odd, indeed. Could it be that the driver of the modem (or the connection itself) tries to use or access an library or an address that the operating system needs to run? Or am I just proving my complete ineptitude in regard to computers, at the moment?

I do not speak 'computer' well enough to say if that might be the reason. I would like to screencap the long message full of numbers and stuff that the blue screen gave me, but of course with Windows having been shut down . . . The best I could so was to copy what looked the most important from it.

Bottom line -- my computer had a brain fart upon shutting down two nights ago, and now I'm screwed. LOL

In any case, as I said before, DSL - despite probably being more expensive - is a wonderful thing which I would not want to miss, anymore.

I can actually get basic DSL (not the fastest) from AT&T for less than the monthly fee I pay Compuserve. So other than the initial expense of the router I'm better off. It's merely the gigantic pain in the butt of giving up some of the email addresses I've used for quite some time. Simply the ability to use the telephone while I'm online would be worth it -- not to mention having more than one computer signed on at the same time. Compuserve gives you as many as seven accounts, but it allows only one on at a time. This was a matter of some frustration back when I shared Compuserve with my son. or, heaven help me -- my mother.

7/23/2009 #29
Nieriel Raina

That DOES sound like a bad modem, Randy! You might want to put a call into Geek Squad, or better yet, ask around and see if you can find a referral to a local computer guru who might charge you less. I use a very small company that charges me HALF of what Geek Squad does and they teach me how to maintain and fix certain things at NO CHARGE.

7/23/2009 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Thranduil Oropherion Redux militaryhistory
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member