Of Cabbages and Kings
Looking for intelligent life at Fanfiction Net? We feature something for everyone: casual chat, serious discussion, debate, fun and games, and that delicious wank. Are you ready to play with the big dogs? Come inside, come inside!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 30 .. Last Next »
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

So what happened to him?

He was obviously in quite a pickle. :P

1/24/2011 #571
Virtuella

So what happened to him?

To whom?

Worms also come to the surface after a rainstorm. In great numbers.

But they have to be eaten by birds, in great numbers. And they have to be brought up by force, i.e. ploughshare, not by their own choosing. It's very symbolic, you know.

1/24/2011 #572
Virtuella

Oh, to the farmer? I don't know.

1/24/2011 #573
militaryhistory

Probably ended up going to the government for help, but was turned down despite that fact it was government regulations that got him in trouble in the first place. Then the factory sued him, he lost, and he died a bitter, broken man.

1/24/2011 #574
Virtuella

Nah. Probably got insurance.

1/24/2011 #575

Raven insurance?

1/24/2011 #576
Virtuella

Why not?

No, but I think farmers probably have some kind of insurance against damage to crops through wildlife.

1/24/2011 #577

Why not?

Because your insurance agent would tell you, "Nevermore!" :P

1/24/2011 #578
Virtuella

LOL

1/24/2011 #579
Virtuella

Now I have another problem. I remember vaguely reading that birds don't actually eat worms, they only feed them to their young. Is that true? In that case, the scene couldn't be set in autumn. :(

ETA: It's okay, thrushes at least appear to eat worms.

1/25/2011 . Edited 1/25/2011 #580
Hamfast Gamgee

I have a little question about Star Wars if there is anyone here that knows about it. But do the blasters that they use, the Non-Jedi's that is have bullets or ammunition or something or do they just have everlasting power? I ask because I am written a tale were someone is using a blaster and I was thinking if this guy is going to be worried at all about running out of ammo or not!

2/7/2011 #581
militaryhistory

Here's a question for all the British on here: How familiar would the average Briton be with the handling of firearms?

2/7/2011 #582
Olorime

Not very. They are illegal in the UK, I thought.

2/7/2011 #583

I have a little question about Star Wars if there is anyone here that knows about it. But do the blasters that they use, the Non-Jedi's that is have bullets or ammunition or something or do they just have everlasting power? I ask because I am written a tale were someone is using a blaster and I was thinking if this guy is going to be worried at all about running out of ammo or not!

Back when I was writing SWars the blasters ran off charger packs. Not ammo, exactly, more like batteriesm, and they could run out and need to be replaced. I don't know how canonical that is, what with a bazillion books being written since.

2/7/2011 #584
Virtuella

How familiar would the average Briton be with the handling of firearms?

The average Briton? Who's he/she?

Unless they're in the armed forces or have special licences, say, for hunting or own firearms illegally because they're criminals, then: entirely unfamiliar.

2/7/2011 #585
militaryhistory

How difficult is it to get one of those licenses?

2/8/2011 #586
Virtuella

No idea. It's not the kind of thing I'd ever even contemplate. Not quite my social class, you know - neither the hunting nobs, nor the thugs.

2/8/2011 #587
militaryhistory

So, in Britain, hunting is seen as the province of the wealthy?

2/8/2011 #588

The land for hunting and the game are scarce. Hell, even back in Robin Hood's day, poaching deer from the King's game park was a crime. So the Queen or Earl Whathisface can go hunting on their own vast estates. Everyone else, not so much.

2/8/2011 #589
Virtuella

Finlay reminded me to add that there are also sports clubs where people shoot at targets with sports rifles. Though I don't think that's the kind of firearms you had in mind.

2/9/2011 #590
Clodia

Most farmers are going to have (licensed) shotguns for rabbits. And (fox) hunting is a pretty common sport out in the country, not just for the wealthy. Shooting pheasants etc. is a different thing again.

ED. Poaching deer remains a crime. You need licenses to go after deer. You can also get licenses to go after wild boar now, I believe. Apparently they're common enough to be a pest in parts of the southwest and possibly elsewhere these days.

2/9/2011 . Edited 2/9/2011 #591

Deer are considered pests where I live, with good reason if you love your shrubs. You need a license to hunt them, though, and in highly populated areas the hunting is forbidden, for good reason. Hence, you see more deer in a day in my back yard than the licensed hunters see up north during deer season.

Virtuella, I don't think the thugs bother with the licenses for any of their firearms. Speaking of the average Briton is like speaking of the Average American -- who is that? A farmer in the midwest? An apartment dweller in New York City? I think Milhist may want to know how much time it would take a Brit to learn to load a gun and shoot straight, and I'd say, the same amount of time it takes for an American.

I have my BB gun from when I was a kid (it actually belonged to my grandfather) so I can shoot pretty straight, and I could probably get up to speed on loading a handgun or rifle pretty fast, even though I know nothing about them currently.

2/9/2011 #592
militaryhistory

I think Milhist may want to know how much time it would take a Brit to learn to load a gun and shoot straight, and I'd say, the same amount of time it takes for an American.

That would be an accurate assessment. Also, would there be any prejudice towards/fear of firearms and their users that would have to be dealt with?

2/9/2011 #593
Clodia

Dear child, what sort of a Brit are you talking about? A farmer or farmer's offspring? will probably know perfectly well how to handle a shotgun and will be able to lay their hands on one in about five seconds. I mean, I know we have an air rifle somewhere at home, and we're not even farmers. Someone who goes out shooting on a regular basis? the same. A random person plucked off the street in some major city? unless they are (a) some sort of criminal or (b) shoot as a sport (as in the Olympic sort, rather than the pheasants sort), they probably will not know how to handle firearms, nor will they have access to firearms.

This will amaze you, but the average British person will probably be able to learn how to handle a gun about as fast as the average American. You know, in the same way that they might learn how to kick a ball around or do mental arithmetic.

Will there be prejudice towards/fear of firearms if someone is spotted wandering around a town or city carrying one? Why yes, I think that would result in more than a few calls to the police. There is no reason for anyone to be carrying a gun in town. Deep in the countryside? especially if the person involved is wearing wellies, riding a quadbike (I almost wrote that quodbike, work is a bad influence) and accompanied by dogs? that is less likely to be a problem. I mean, exactly what do you mean by prejudice here? what are the circumstances? The mere fact that someone has a firearms licence and the ability to use a gun is, well, unlikely to be an issue? It's when they go crazy and start taking potshots at the police or getting involved in armed sieges in parks that people start getting upset.

2/9/2011 . Edited 2/9/2011 #594
Morthoron

My significant other does not know how to shoot my 12 gauge shotgun. I have trained her well enough that, with the load I use, she could take out anything within a five foot radius of the front door. All she need do is point in the general direction, take into account kickback, and whoever is breaking in is toast. Or at least scared to death.

2/9/2011 #595
militaryhistory

to Clodia: Despite the sarcasm, thank you.

2/9/2011 #596
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinactive

omigosh... i know this is like, so late, but hey, whatever. i haz a kweschunnn!!! umm... you know when you post your story/ies on FF? i tend to re-read mine on the actual site and things are left out, and i have to go to the trouble of uploading it again, but it doesnt work. how do i edit it without things being left out???

thnks so much!!

HuntressNightshadexoxo

3/8/2011 #597
Morthoron

omigosh... i know this is like, so late, but hey, whatever. i haz a kweschunnn!!! umm... you know when you post your story/ies on FF? i tend to re-read mine on the actual site and things are left out, and i have to go to the trouble of uploading it again, but it doesnt work. how do i edit it without things being left out???

thnks so much!!

HuntressNightshadexoxo

What things, like, get left out? Do you haz grammar and syntax? You can, like, pull up your chapter in the "Document Manager", edit it, and save it in "My Stories" by going into "Chapter/Contents and replacing the old chapter with the new, like, edited chapter.

3/8/2011 . Edited 3/8/2011 #598

First of all, what did FFN leave out? There are certain things that FFN will not allow -- scene breaks that consist of asterisks and anything that resembles an email address or URL, for instance -- and there is nothing you can do about that, other than use a different sort of scene break. However, if it's a missing paragraph (which has happened to me) you can edit using the document manager, which is found under the 'Publish' button.

Generally speaking, you should check over your files immediately after uploading them and save any necessary changes. Files remain in your document manager for 90 days, so you can edit them during that time as well. Then you can find you story in'My Stories' and click edit to replace the defective chapter with your new version. If 90 days has passed, you can either upload your story file (which you should keep on your hard drive for safety) make sure the document is correct and then 'replace chapter content'.

Alternatively you can use the 'EXP' function in 'Story Content/Chapters' to export the defective chapter to your documents manager, edit it, and replace.

I hope that helps.

3/8/2011 #599
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinactive

oh thankyou both so much for the help!!! it really worked thankyoush!! i wuv chuss!!

ummm... it leaves out really long "ahahahaahs" and replaces them with "!" and it leaves out important things in my story, like some sentences and a little bit of paragraphs and some emoticons frm MSN convos.... sooo yeah.. i tried that and it really helped... thnksh yoush!!

HuntressNightshadexoxo

3/9/2011 #600
« Prev Page 1 .. 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 30 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Thranduil Oropherion Redux militaryhistory
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member