Of Cabbages and Kings
Looking for intelligent life at Fanfiction Net? We feature something for everyone: casual chat, serious discussion, debate, fun and games, and that delicious wank. Are you ready to play with the big dogs? Come inside, come inside!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Poll
What pets do you own?
1 Cat(s): Misnomer -- you don't own cat; cat owns you.
2 No pets at present: My carpets heave a sigh of relief!
3 Bird(s): The only pet that talks back.
4 Dog(s): Hooray for Man's Best Friend!
5 Fish: They don't bark.
6 Other Small Mammals: Mice, rats, ferrets, etc. The ones in the basement don't count.
7 Spiders: Now, that's just plain creepy.
8 Assorted Reptiles: Because there's no accounting for taste.
9 Horse(s): Because I like shoveling the shit!
View Poll Result. Please vote for up to 8 choices.
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

This is the thread for bragging about the latest cute thing our pets did. Or for posting pictures. Or all pet-related news in general.

Mostly, because I want to find out how Melda's puppies are doing. :)

2/21/2009 . Edited 2/21/2009 #1
hixto

Nuts! I'm currently petless. I do like hearing about other people's pets though.

2/21/2009 #2

Nuts! I'm currently petless.

That's better than saying, "Pets! I'm currently nutless." ;P

You had pets growing up, though, right? All pet stories and reminiscences are grist for this thread.

But hang on, dude -- I'll edit that poll to reflect your deprived state. LOL

2/21/2009 #3
MeldaTavar

Thanks Randy :)

Pups are doing great. They are all spoken for and the first one left us today :(

I have Jezzie out right now (the runt) she is sooo cute, and loves to 'attack' her mama and the other older dogs. Pierre (14 yr old poodle) does not appreciate being the target of a rabuncious puppy. Jezzie is showing her intellegience too, she loves to look up and then pull stuff down.

2/21/2009 #4
Silver-hair Angel

I weep for my lack of pets! [sob]

XD

2/21/2009 #5
hixto

That's better than saying, "Pets! I'm currently nutless." ;P

Oh, ha ha! :P

Aw, the puppy sounds so cute, Melda. I love that avatar pic.

I weep for my lack of pets! [sob]

I know. I wish I could have a pet again. But I've got no room or time right now.

2/21/2009 #6

Pups are doing great. They are all spoken for and the first one left us today :(

Old enough to be weaned and leaving for a new home? Gosh, how time flies!

2/21/2009 #7
MeldaTavar

Old enough to be weaned and leaving for a new home? Gosh, how time flies!

I know! It was just a couple weeks ago they couldn't walk and now they are leaving, :(

Saying goodbye to the puppy wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. But not having any puppies is going to be difficult.

Aw, the puppy sounds so cute, Melda. I love that avatar pic.

Thanks Iggy :) I'll have to get a photo bucket account or something so I can put up more than one pic at a time.

I'm sure you could make room for a fish, they don't take up much room and hardly any time.

2/21/2009 #8

But not having any puppies is going to be difficult.

I remember how sad it was saying good bye to the last of a litter of kittens. But we always knew there would be a new litter in a few months. *sigh* Those were the days.

I'm sure you could make room for a fish, they don't take up much room and hardly any time.

LOL -- tell that to someone who didn't spend an hour cleaning the aquarium today. But I agree -- bettas make wonderful pets.

2/21/2009 #9
MeldaTavar

I remember how sad it was saying good bye to the last of a litter of kittens. But we always knew there would be a new litter in a few months. *sigh* Those were the days.

We'll have a new litter next year. But still its sad.

LOL -- tell that to someone who didn't spend an hour cleaning the aquarium today. But I agree -- bettas make wonderful pets.

There is some work but a betta tank isn't that time consuming. Now my turtle's tank, just yuck. Yeah i think yuck covers it. Feels like it takes longer than an hour to clean but probably doesn't.

2/21/2009 #10
Aislynn Crowdaughter

I voted for cats despite not having one at present, because while I am cat-deprived at the moment, I really want to have one again ASAP- I hope that is okay?

2/25/2009 #11

I voted for cats despite not having one at present, because while I am cat-deprived at the moment, I really want to have one again ASAP- I hope that is okay?

Worried that the Pet Police will come and haul you away? LOL No -- I'm all for loading the result in favor of cats. Cats rule! :)

2/25/2009 #12

There is some work but a betta tank isn't that time consuming. Now my turtle's tank, just yuck. Yeah i think yuck covers it. Feels like it takes longer than an hour to clean but probably doesn't.

My aquarium got much worse in terms of algae when I switched from an incandescent bulb in the hood to a full spectrum fluorescent. All I have in there currently is six female guppies. The last male died in November, so the little community is coming to an end. I'm still of two minds whether I want to get a betta for that tank when the last guppie passes on.

Despite their reputation, bettas are not vicious, aggressive fish. In the wild, it's the male betta who raises the young, so they are very territorial. They aren't mean -- just 'concerned dads'. In fact, I had one who let me stroke his head when I cleaned the tank. He was in with some Mollies (livebearers) and he was the one who kept the parents from eating their small babies.

2/25/2009 . Edited 2/25/2009 #13
Aislynn Crowdaughter

I notice you did not have any rabbits in the poll, though. Do they count among the smaller furries? Because I think they deserve their own category. Rabbits can get out the cage, sometimes (as can guiena pigs), and they will then proceed to do havoc on the furniture, as in gnawing at wood, electro cables, speaker cables, and everything else that can be gnawed at. I owned a rabbit when I was a kid, and a friend of mine did too. Hers was feared by the cat she had in pet care, once - the cat made the mistake to sleep in front of the rabbit's hiding place. The rabbit saw her tail, sneaked close and bit down. Hard. From then on, that cat made sure to keep her distance to the rabbit.

The rabbit of another former acquaintance of mine (that one was not a friend) was feared by the three cats she had, too. When that rabbit entered a room, the cats moved upwards where the rabbit could not reach them.

2/25/2009 #14
MeldaTavar

My aquarium got much worse in terms of algae when I switched from an incandescent bulb in the hood to a full spectrum fluorescent. All I have in there currently is six female guppies. The last male died in November, so the little community is coming to an end. I'm still of two minds whether I want to get a betta for that tank when the last guppie passes on.

I have a huge algae problem with Ollie's tank. Mainly because its growing on his shell and as much as I clean the tank there isn't a lot I can do to him. It got really bad the one week that I decided to change his lamp to one of those red heat lamps (got a nice carpet of algae). Now I just use the UV lamp. I use some algae killing solution in his water too, seems to semi kill it.

I never realized rabbits could be terrorizers, lol. I never had mine in the house though and we didn't keep them very long.

2/25/2009 #15
Aislynn Crowdaughter

I never realized rabbits could be terrorizers, lol. I never had mine in the house though and we didn't keep them very long.

They are masters in quickly separating a speaker from the receiver it is attached to. Permanently. If you have the receiver attached by cable, that is. XD

I had one as a kid, then gave it to my sister. Since then I have not had one again; I really prefer cats, by now. I'd love to have a cat, again.

I have a huge algae problem with Ollie's tank. Mainly because its growing on his shell and as much as I clean the tank there isn't a lot I can do to him.

The algae grow on the back of the turtle?

2/25/2009 #16
MeldaTavar

The algae grow on the back of the turtle?

Yeah, it doesn't hurt him and usually doesn't grow very thick but its there.

I had one as a kid, then gave it to my sister. Since then I have not had one again; I really prefer cats, by now. I'd love to have a cat, again.

Aww you should get one then. I can't imagine not having an animal. I have to go home once a week to get my pet fix and then I can face another week with out them, lol.

2/25/2009 #17
Aislynn Crowdaughter

I have to go home once a week to get my pet fix and then I can face another week with out them, lol.

Go home for the pet fix? You live away from home, at the moment?

2/25/2009 #18
MeldaTavar

Go home for the pet fix? You live away from home, at the moment?

Yeah about an hour away at college. I drive back on the weekends to visit family and pets :)

2/25/2009 #19
Aislynn Crowdaughter

Yeah about an hour away at college. I drive back on the weekends to visit family and pets :)

Aw! That's hard. It's the same for my niece, though - she had to leave the dog with her mother and can only see it when she viisits there. :(

2/25/2009 #20
MeldaTavar

It is hard. I've really never not had an animal nearby. I was tempted to bring my frogs to college but then they died (they were very old for frogs).

2/25/2009 #21

I notice you did not have any rabbits in the poll, though. Do they count among the smaller furries? Because I think they deserve their own category. Rabbits can get out the cage, sometimes (as can guiena pigs), and they will then proceed to do havoc on the furniture, as in gnawing at wood, electro cables, speaker cables, and everything else that can be gnawed at.

Oh my yes -- they can indeed. I'm also told that rabbits -- the males in particular -- can be surprisingly aggressive. You don't often think of killer bunnies, but they can bite and scratch and will come after you to do it.

I had included rabbits in the small furry category, along with the ferrets and mice and things.

2/25/2009 #22
MeldaTavar

One of the hazards of buying feeder fish for Ollie is that no matter how long they live eventually they die. Apparently all four have passed on. Two of whom, so I have been informed, are missing thier bodies. Quiet a grievious injury. Bye bye Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy.

2/26/2009 #23
PurpleHat

Three cats. It was seven in the autumn, when the kittens came. Fortunately we found homes for all of them, or we'd still have seven, and the neighbours sould be complaining. And yes, I got too fond of one of them, even in eight short weeks, and I made a tit of myself crying when he went. No more kittens now, ever again.

We have had hamsters in the house, but I don't really like things in cages. Not only because they have to be cleaned, but because it seems cruel to restrict them so much. In the wild, a hamster would forage for miles each night, and what do they get as a pet? A wheel.

And cold-blooded pets? Just no!

3/12/2009 #24
MeldaTavar

Aww there's nothing wrong with cold-blooded pets. Ollie even begs! Apparently he only begs when I'm around and he has gotten to the point where he doesn't dive for the water everytime people move.

It can be hard to let the little guys go after 8 weeks of cuddliness :) I just said good bye to 7 adorable puppies, but they all went to good homes and at least 2 of the new owners are sending pictures back. Another of the owner wants to bring the two pups they bought back for a play date.

3/12/2009 #25

Three cats. It was seven in the autumn, when the kittens came. Fortunately we found homes for all of them, or we'd still have seven, and the neighbours sould be complaining. And yes, I got too fond of one of them, even in eight short weeks, and I made a tit of myself crying when he went. No more kittens now, ever again.

I have no neighbors, and fortunately, I live in a municipality that has no rules on the number of pets one may have. I figure that if I keep them all inside, it 'ain't nobody's business but my own'.

We're still grandfathered for farm animals, so I could probably get away with a goat, but I'm not going to push it.

I know what you mean about giving up the kittens. I managed it when I was a kid, but I don't think I'm emotionally suited to it anymore.

3/12/2009 #26

Another of the owner wants to bring the two pups they bought back for a play date.

I don't know about dogs, but cats forget their mother and siblings fairly quickly. Instead of a sweet reunion, we'd get hissing the few times we tried it.

3/12/2009 #27
MeldaTavar

I don't know about dogs, but cats forget their mother and siblings fairly quickly. Instead of a sweet reunion, we'd get hissing the few times we tried it.

I don't know what the dogs would do, but considering how friendly Sadie and Manwe are even if they forget their relationship they will still have fun running themselves to exhaustion in the backyard :)

3/12/2009 #28
EmpyrealFantasy

Randy, the poll is masterful. I'm giggling. ;)

2 cats

2 birds

2 dogs

6 fish

Many animals we have. But my love of snakes takes exception to your comment on reptiles!!!

3/12/2009 #29

You like snakes? I'd never have guessed. ;)

3/12/2009 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Thranduil Oropherion Redux militaryhistory
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member