Of Cabbages and Kings
Looking for intelligent life at Fanfiction Net? We feature something for everyone: casual chat, serious discussion, debate, fun and games, and that delicious wank. Are you ready to play with the big dogs? Come inside, come inside!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 32 .. Last Next »
Clodia

*happy anticipation*

Unfortunately the town's dinky little cinema appears to be showing kids films only over the summer, presumably on the basis that all the students have gone home. Which is really quite annoying, because I wanted to see e.g. The A-Team. And now Salt.

7/26/2010 #631
Gogol

:(

Get pirated Russian version? It will be ~IRONIC.

7/26/2010 #632
Clodia

That would be massively amusing. But I'm too well-behaved to dabble directly in pirated stuff.

7/26/2010 #633
hixto

But I'm too well-behaved to dabble directly in pirated stuff.

There's always indirectly. Which is really the only way to deal in pirated stuff.

7/26/2010 #634
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

I guess that makes you a pirate and a good man. :P

7/26/2010 #635
Clodia

♥ the A-Team.

7/31/2010 #636
Epilachna

Has anyone seen The Runaways? It looks like a great 70s rock madness movie and I do have a thing for Joan Jett. I'd also like to see Kristin Stewart in a film where she may have to act a little. It would give me a way to gauge if she sucks or if it's just Twilight.

8/2/2010 #637
Olorime

Nope, but have you watched The Secret in Their Eyes?

That was a really awesome movie. It won an Oscar for best foreign movie. That's a must watch for those who like Latin American cinema.

8/2/2010 #638
Epilachna

Nope. But the description looks great. I put it on my Netflix cue. There are some great foreign films out there.You know they're great when you don't speak the language and you still want to watch them a zillion times. I remember going to see Pan's Labyrinth in the local 'artsy' theater. Some of the people in the audience missed the memo that it was in Spanish because there was groaning when the film started and the narration began in Spanish. I bought it on DVD as soon as it came out and have watched it an absurd number of times.

8/2/2010 #639
Olorime

It's a really good movie. Make sure to watch El Espinazo del Diablo as well by the same director. It's a really great movie. :)

I like really obscure, independent, foreign films. If you go back on the thread you can see all my recommendations that almost no one ever pays any heed to. :P

8/2/2010 #640
Morthoron

Let's see, I watched The Number 23 with Jim Carrey this weekend. As my fiance was complaining how stupid it was and left the room, I too wondered about the incredibly campy script. I then looked at the Rotten Tomatoes site and found out that it was rated 8%...out of a possible 100%! ROFL! I have never seen a movie rated that low. I watched it until the end because it was unintentionally funny. The probelm with Jim Carrey is that he can't stop being Jim Carrey, even in a serious role. RATING: see it on cable, if you find Jim Carrey's mawkish, rubbery facial expressions fascinating, but don't pay for it!

I also watched Terminator: Salvation for the first time. Having no expectations, I found it wasn't too bad. Some good effects and Batman was John Connor, so you know he wasn't going to die. RATING: worth watching, if only to see CGI Arnold Schwartzenegger.

8/2/2010 #641
Epilachna

I will. Two French films I'd recommend are Queen Margot (historic Catholic/Protestant conflict) and Brotherhood of the Wolf (quasi-historical action mystery). Both are fabulous. I haven't seen many French films, but it seems to me almost every other one has incest as an element to the story. I don't know if it's a cultural thing: bad characters=incestuous desires. Both of these films have a bit of sibling on sibling action which is a bit strange to me given I can't think of a single American film where the topic is mentioned.

8/2/2010 #642
Olorime

Incest is a big taboo in American mainstream. Funny thing is, I also watched a French film that was about incest. It had that beautiful young man from The Dreamers in it and it was a parent/child incest thing. It was called Ma Mère. It happens a lot more than people are willing to admit (incest), especially among siblings of close age.

8/2/2010 #643
Epilachna

found out that it was rated 8%...out of a possible 100%! ROFL! I have never seen a movie rated that low.

Yeah. I was interested in seeing it until I read the review.

I also watched Terminator: Salvation for the first time. Having no expectations, I found it wasn't too bad. Some good effects and Batman was John Connor, so you know he wasn't going to die. RATING: worth watching, if only to see CGI Arnold Schwartzenegger.

My husband saw it (not sure why I wasn't with him). I really love the first 3 films (yes, even the 3rd) and own them, too, but after hearing from my hubby and reading reviews I haven't gone out of my way to see Salvation. I'll get to it some day. I did hear that CG Arnold looked great.

8/2/2010 #644
InfamousSharo

What is the friggin' deal with movies nowadays? They all suck! I haven't seen a good movie since Lord of the Rings came out. *sneer* It's annoying...Those Hollywood folks need to get crackin' and stop being so darned lazy. It's like they just come up with stupid crap to annoy me. And no I'm not being egocentric, I'm just irritated with the fact that it's been YEARS since I last saw a good film. If I don't go to the movies soon, I may very well go insane. Now that I have vented...anyone seen any good movies lately? *grin*

8/4/2010 #645
White Eyebrow

I can't remember the last time I got my ass kicked twice in a row. "Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World" did an excellent job of that. This was a very intelligent movie in disguise - a textbook bildungsroman. I've read a lot of negative press on this flick, but I suspect that those that hated it just didn't get it. I always give Hollywood props when the go the creative route rather than the formulaic route *cough* expendables *cough*.

8/14/2010 #646
White Eyebrow

oops double post

8/14/2010 . Edited 8/14/2010 #647
Virtuella

I haven't seen a good movie since Lord of the Rings came out.

I haven't been to the cinema since Lord of the Rings came out. Seems I haven't missed anything...

8/14/2010 #648
militaryhistory

I always give Hollywood props when the go the creative route rather than the formulaic route *cough* expendables *cough*.

If you think of Expendables as Sylvester Stallone and some of his acting buddies having a ridiculously good time, it makes more sense.

8/15/2010 #649

I haven't been to the cinema since Lord of the Rings came out. Seems I haven't missed anything...

Oh god -- I can't remember the last movie I saw in a theater. We almost saw that one with Sandra Bullock adopting the black kid who plays football. But it was sold out so we went home.

Okay, it was either Kingdom of Heaven or Dead Man's Chest up in Appleton with my fandom friend. I can't remember which one came last -- I think it was Kingdom of Heaven. I don't go to movies much.

8/15/2010 #650
hixto

We almost saw that one with Sandra Bullock adopting the black kid who plays football. But it was sold out so we went home.

LOL You're not very determined, are you?

Okay, it was either Kingdom of Heaven or Dead Man's Chest up in Appleton with my fandom friend. I can't remember which one came last -- I think it was Kingdom of Heaven. I don't go to movies much.

Dead Man's Chest was last.

8/15/2010 #651
InfamousSharo

I had a terrible feeling one day Hollywood was going to make a movie with all the 'top' action stars playing a role in it. Even Jet Li is in it...and I liked Jet Li up until this! WTF? What I want to know is where's Steven Segal, Jean-Claude Van Damme, er...Chuck Norris(couldn't think of another one, I actually like Chuck a little) in this movie? Don't tell me they were too busy...*sighs and shakes her head* Madness.

8/18/2010 #652

What I want to know is where's Steven Segal, Jean-Claude Van Damme, er...Chuck Norris(couldn't think of another one, I actually like Chuck a little) in this movie?

Chuck Norris wasn't invited, because he'd have scared all the others. (Lame Chuck Norris joke.)

8/18/2010 #653
Morthoron

Van Damme was actually invited by Sly Stone but he refused because in the script he was supposed to lose in a fight with Jet-Li. And obviously, Van Damme is more concerned about his own self-importance than actually geting paid for a movie role. It's not like people are knocking down the doors to get Van Damme to do a movie.

8/18/2010 #654
InfamousSharo

That's something we can all be thankful for. He's by far the worst action star EVER. Is he even still alive? For someone as egocentric as him, I'm actually kind of surprised that he did that cameo on Friends a long time ago. That's kind of out of his area, isn't it? Well, in any case, I'm not looking forward to seeing The Expendables. Just another crap film from Hollywood. On another note, I did see this old movie on TV this past weekend called Swimming Upstream. Geoffrey Rush was in it. It was a pretty good true story movie.

8/18/2010 #655
InfamousSharo

That's something we can all be thankful for. He's by far the worst action star EVER. Is he even still alive? For someone as egocentric as him, I'm actually kind of surprised that he did that cameo on Friends a long time ago. That's kind of out of his area, isn't it? Well, in any case, I'm not looking forward to seeing The Expendables. Just another crap film from Hollywood. On another note, I did see this movie on TV this past weekend called Swimming Upstream(think it was made in 2003). Geoffrey Rush was in it. It was a pretty good true story movie.

8/18/2010 #656
InfamousSharo

Ugh...double posted...*sigh*

8/18/2010 #657
Hamfast Gamgee

That's triple posted now isn't it? :) However, I fancy going to the movies this Saturday, something which I haven't done for ages. I'm not sure what I'm going to see, though. I might see this Piranha film. It reminds be a bit of Jaws from many years ago. Sometimes I like that type of movie. I don't know what it's like, however!

8/18/2010 #658
InfamousSharo

That's triple posted now isn't it? :) However, I fancy going to the movies this Saturday, something which I haven't done for ages. I'm not sure what I'm going to see, though. I might see this Piranha film. It reminds be a bit of Jaws from many years ago. Sometimes I like that type of movie. I don't know what it's like, however!

Alright, so I tripled posted. I was having a really bad day! Haha. It disconcerts me that you want to see that piranha movie. It just looks like another one of those films. Like Anaconda. *shudders* But I guess you never can tell. It might be a good movie disguised as a bad one.

8/19/2010 . Edited 8/19/2010 #659
Epilachna

Last night I watched Låt den Rätte Komma In (Let the Right One In) on instant Netflix. Highly recommended to everyone out there who is a fan of real vampires. Don't ask me what it's 'about' because I'm still not sure, and that's pretty much what makes it creepy. The film is not a horror movie in the traditional sense. Sure, people get their heads ripped off, but in the context of the film, we don't really care about them.

It's a Swedish film (subtitled in English or Spanish) and a Hollywood re-make is coming out in October (in the US, at least). I think it goes without saying that you should see the original romantic version before you see the flashy-bangy-screamy Hollywood take. Rotten tomatoes gives the original a 97% rating and I completely agree. Check it out!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/lat_den_ratte_komma_in/

9/15/2010 #660
« Prev Page 1 .. 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 32 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Thranduil Oropherion Redux militaryhistory
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member