Of Cabbages and Kings
Looking for intelligent life at Fanfiction Net? We feature something for everyone: casual chat, serious discussion, debate, fun and games, and that delicious wank. Are you ready to play with the big dogs? Come inside, come inside!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

Because good stories and good authors deserve recognition. Feel free to post your own or anyone else's. Links are obviously encouraged.

If you have one from offsite, a URL will have to do.

3/30/2009 #1
Nieriel Raina

This Present Darkness by Lamiel - Post ROTK. When a new power threatens Gondor, Legolas is caught in a desperate struggle to save Aragorn's soul.

Best Tolkien fanfic I've ever read. Best characterization, best plot, most realisitc reactions by characters... dark, angsty, not a light fluffy read. Deep, intense. Fanstastic!

3/30/2009 #2

For cat lovers. Werecat99 is one of the best.

That Way, a wonderfully sly tale of that night at the Prancing Pony.

3/30/2009 . Edited 3/30/2009 #3
Spiced Wine

I have a few. Is there no way of copy-pasting the reviews from my bio on another site onto here? I did try just now, but none of the links came up. I tried the html option too, by going into my bio and copying all the codes and also just copy-pasting the entire thing normally :(

3/31/2009 . Edited 3/31/2009 #4
Nieriel Raina

the HTML option only works for links on FFN. If the authors you are rec'ing have accounts here, use the (a href="addy here"name here(/a) You have to use the html brackets instead of parentheses (FFN won't let those show up) but if you use OFF site addys, they won't work.

3/31/2009 #5

NiRi just beat me to it. You can't direct link to off-site stories. Just post the URL and most of us can copy/paste it into our browsers.

3/31/2009 #6

I'd like to recommend this gem, Moving Apart by Marnie. She writes exquisitely, and this story about the early Second Age added to my understanding of the political situation at that time and influenced my own work.

Here is a brief clip with a lovely look at Oropher and Thranduil:

Oropher's back was to him; long, tawny hair gleaming in Lorinand's dappled sunlight, shoulders set in disapproval beneath a jerkin of finely tooled green leather. Oropher's son, Thranduil, sat cross-legged on a low branch of yew close by, applying himself to the cheese and bread and cold meats of the picnic, yet radiating a sense of attentiveness, like a fox with its ears pricked. They were both very dear to Amdir, who had welcomed their arrival this morning with a joyful heart. Such impromptu visits were not rare, for their realm lay just across the Anduin in Southern Greenwood, and it was a matter of mere hours to travel thence to Lorinand. Yet he looked forward to their meetings as to the stars rising - a delight which did not grow wearying in repetition.

I reccomend just about any story by this author.

4/5/2009 #7
Aislynn Crowdaughter

Great recommendation, Randy! I love all of Marnie's stories, but that one is one of my favorites. Marnie's take on Celeborn and his relationship to Oropher and Thranduil has had great impact on my own view of that character, too. I love her take on the Sindar in relation to the Noldor in some of her other stories. :)

4/5/2009 . Edited 4/5/2009 #8

If you check her profile you will note that she has had a novel published professionally. You can always tell who, among us fanwriters, has partaken of the royal jelly and will go pro, and she was definitely one. :)

4/5/2009 #9
Aislynn Crowdaughter

I had not seen that, yet. But she is definitely giood enough to do it. :)

The one of her Celeborn stories I like most (no, make that two) are: Oak and Willow, a lovely view at the courting of Galadriel from the Sindar view, and Seeds of Old Trees, about their reunion in Valinor. Oh, and Just in Case, about Celeborn's possible precautions with tthe Ring in Lothlorien. I love these! :)

4/5/2009 #10

Because I'm in the mood to plug crossovers today, here's a very funny one, The Beverly Hillbillies Go to Middle-earth:

Do not even attempt to look for canonicity here, just prepare to laugh your tuchas off.

Edit: upon reading, I notice that this story seems to have suffered a formatting mishap when the archive did some updting. The letter 'E' with the Old English diacritic mark has disappeared completely, which makes Eomer's and Eowyn's names look odd. It's still worth a read.

4/17/2009 . Edited 4/17/2009 #11
Spiced Wine

The acented E never works on ff.com, it never has, through two upgrades, I believe.

4/18/2009 #12

Neither does the accented capital O, I just discovered. What an unfortunate thing in a Tolkien archive. :(

4/18/2009 #13
Spiced Wine

You're right! I have only used it once in a name, but it vanished so I had to go back and put in a normal O. The lower case ones are fine, fortunately.

4/18/2009 #14
Spiced Wine

Damn, I was making a list of these recommended fics. I did save it too, I'll get back to doing it next week. It was just the links which were fiddly.

4/18/2009 #15
Aislynn Crowdaughter

The acented E never works on ff.com, it never has, through two upgrades, I believe.

Neither does the accented capital O, I just discovered. What an unfortunate thing in a Tolkien archive. :(

There are html-codes for these, I believe, but I don't know if the archive would accept them. Some archieve softwares suppress more fancy html codes. Mostly, instead of bothering to fiddle with the codes, I just leave the accents out.

I believe the accented E in Eomer would be either have to be coded as É = & #201 (remove space) or Ë = & #203 (remove space). But not all archives acceppt that coding. -___-

And BTW, hi, Randy, Hi, Lethe! :)

4/18/2009 #16

There are html-codes for these, I believe, but I don't know if the archive would accept them. Some archieve softwares suppress more fancy html codes. Mostly, instead of bothering to fiddle with the codes, I just leave the accents out.

The first time I read that story, the names looked all right, but that was going on four years ago, now. I don't think the author has touched the story in all that time.

This makes me wonder if I need to check some of my own older stories to make sure everything appears correct.

4/18/2009 #17

And lest it be lost again, here is the URL of Betwixt Lórien and Rivendell, by one Romulus Fang ( a true genius):

In which Colbert the Pinstriped gives Gandalf the Grey a lesson in political realities.

4/19/2009 #18

And further, the Colbert/O'Reilly slash (not graphic) Shorts Weather by Kim B:

It has to be read to be believed.

4/19/2009 #19

Tooting my own horn, because I'm the admin and I can. LOL

Leave It to Solo, or Beaver Joins the Alliance.

I wrote this story in 1984 as an example of how ridiculous crossovers could get, under my old pen name.

4/24/2009 . Edited 6/6/2009 #20

This entire story is good, but the latest chapter is pure genius!

Sleeping Beauty by Clodia.

I just left an incoherent, fawning review. Check this one out, people, by all means.

4/26/2009 #21

*becomes incoherent in turn*

Oh wow, thanks, but you shouldn't! You know I'm just rearranging other people's words! Very good words (I'm determined to use cacodaemonic and nefandous again someday) but they still belong very much to other people...

(I'm actually starting to think I should give up being me altogether and just be other other people on a permanent basis. Kipling, probably: he seems the most popular so far.)

4/26/2009 #22

This is gorgeous: Mountain Guards by Malicean

It's deeply AU: Galadriel has taken the Ring and to quote the summary, '"In place of a Dark Lord, you would have a queen, not dark but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! Treacherous as the sea! Stronger than the foundations of the earth! All shall love me and despair." Love… not exactly. Despair… like hell!'

6/3/2009 #23
Spiced Wine

Author recommendations. (Not on this site)

Pink Siamese

(NC17 Het/erotica )

Pink is a phenomenal writer, frighteningly talented. She intimidates me, but that is good, I love to learn.

She also writes the steamiest het erotica I have ever read. Reading her over a year ago confirmed in me that some of the best writing is on the net, not published and on bookshelves. Her AU of Mordor and it's society is rich and fascinating.

6/4/2009 . Edited 6/4/2009 #24
Spiced Wine

Legolas/Aragorn Friendship/adventure, no slash ) I tend to read Adult slash. If I don't, it is because the story is good. I have read this story many times and continue to love it. Wonderful character portrayals of the main protagonists, and enough angst to keep me happy.

6/4/2009 . Edited 6/4/2009 #25
Spiced Wine

Aislynn Crowdaughter.

Please heed the warnings on this very dark Adult AU slash. Slave-fic, an evil Elrond, a sadistic Aragorn, Legolas bound by a frightful spell? How does it work? It works because the AU constructed by the author ticks like a Swiss watch. It is reasoned and logical - and very disturbing. When I scream at the monitor that I want Elrond or Aragorn to die slowly and in unendurable pain, you know I am sucked in :)

6/4/2009 . Edited 6/4/2009 #26
Spiced Wine

A few since it is a pain trying to put links in knowing they don't work.

Ignoble Bard PG13 to NC17 slash

I love Ignoble Bard's slash. It is elegant, erotic and beautiful. His Fait Accompli had me gaping at the screen at the end, I was so floored. He simply never fails to produce profoundly lovely erotica.

Esteliel (NC17 slash )

Esteliel has hooked me completely from since first reading her. Her series is not all about sex,despite the warnings and rating on it, in fact it is a very skillful and thought provoking look at what is basically Stockholm Syndrome and how and why that can develop into love. The way the characters relationships develop from a terrible beginning is enthralling, deeply moving and sympathetic. ( Oh, and steamy! ) Any-one perceiving at this as just a kinky slash fic has missed the point entirely. I love this series. It is one to read and re-read. (Also one of the nicest, most kind and sweet natured people in the fandom, which is more than I can say for people who have flamed and screamed at her.)

To me A New Day (MEFA 2008 First Place, Longer Works: General) is the ultimate Maedhros and Fingon' story. It's the story I wanted to read about them when I was still in my teens. She has a talent for writing characters and settings which make me think I open a door into that time and place and just sit and watch the tale play before me. I also adore her Maglor and Daeron pairing.

Kenaz's writing is gorgeous, elegant. It's like drinking a very good wine. Wonderful descriptions, her portrayal of the differences between the Elven realms and their customs is absorbing, and authentic. Her characters are beautifully realized, her dialogue wonderful. Reading her humbles me to dust.

(R-Rated het )

Tolkien's science does not work. :) In the Pandë!verse it does. :D Some stories take such a different approach to Tolkien that they force those of us who like reading outside the box to stretch the boundaries of our imagination even further; to lay aside the 'absolutes' that we *know* within Tolkien's writing. Pandemonium's works portray Sauron in a way that is impossible to reject, a creator, a scientist, a genius, nothing as simple as the Evol! Dark Lord. Her science is written in a way that even I can understand and both her original and canon characters characters are vivid and human and *real*.

Jael Probably *the* best writer of Thranduil in the fandom. Need I say more? For those who love to read him portrayed sympathetically and enjoy reading Mirkwood-centered fics, I cannot recommend Jael highly enough.

Surgical Steel

Steel has created a real, earthy, immensely appealing character in her 'The King's Surgeon.' A spiritually strong woman, with a heart; clever and courageous, a real gem with foibles and flaws and keen intelligence set within a enthralling story.

6/4/2009 #27
My Broken Quill

Self plugging co i'm shamless lol

The Marks of His Affection

Genre: Angst/Romance

Rating: M

Words: 11273

Pairing: Logan/Rogue

Universe: X-Men

Completed: Yes

Warnings: Deals with Sensitive/Controversial topics.

Adult Language/Scenes

“We both know that we’re just waiting until you grow up. I said I would let you grow up, I never said I would let him be the one that you grow up for.”

Notes: Part one of a trilogy.

6/7/2009 . Edited 6/7/2009 #28
Aislynn Crowdaughter

Um, I fear your plug is not working - the link seems to go to your preview box, which others can't access. Link to the posted story, please?

6/7/2009 #29
My Broken Quill
Fixed! Thankks for telling me :)
6/7/2009 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Thranduil Oropherion Redux militaryhistory
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member