Of Cabbages and Kings
Looking for intelligent life at Fanfiction Net? We feature something for everyone: casual chat, serious discussion, debate, fun and games, and that delicious wank. Are you ready to play with the big dogs? Come inside, come inside!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 .. Last Next »
piewacket

How about a a rueful "tremor" or "twinge" of melancholia"? Melancholia seems more insidious than causing waves or tsunamis. It seethes, it creeps.

I see what you mean but I'm trying to stay with the 'nautical' theme. His life is currently 100% ruled by the ship, ocean and water.

A wave of melancholia laps at my consciousness? That seems too precious.

Like a slow leak in the hold, melancholia begins to filter into my daydream. ??

5/31/2011 . Edited 5/31/2011 #331
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

Have you by any chance seenHaven?

No. Should I?

Yes, Morth, you should. Iggy sent me a copy, and, Bloom fan that I am, I started out thinking, this is going to be awful. It seemed to be incoherent, all over the place in terms of plot. But by the end it comes together. It's still a little rough in spots, but the director/writer was only 24.

5/31/2011 #332

I see what you mean but I'm trying to stay with the 'nautical' theme. His life is currently 100% ruled by the ship, ocean and water.

I'm with mark Twain on this -- use a simple word wherever possible. I'd go with a rising tide of sadness.

5/31/2011 #333
piewacket

I'm with mark Twain on this -- use a simple word wherever possible. I'd go with a rising tide of sadness.

Hm. That's good. I think I'll make it " a rising tide of melancholia." I want to stick with melancholia because it is qualitatively (it may be the counselor in me) different from sadness.

5/31/2011 #334
Morthoron

A wave of melancholia laps at my consciousness? That seems too precious.

Like a slow leak in the hold, melancholia begins to filter into my daydream. ??

Hmmm...nautical theme? How about: "An dark undercurrent of melancholia roiled within him"?

5/31/2011 #335

Hm. That's good. I think I'll make it " a rising tide of melancholia."

Ragetti could also be somewhat flowery in his speech at times. Melancholia works.

5/31/2011 #336
Morthoron

The roiling, rueful currents of melancholia sought to draw him down into the bilious black undertow.

Heh, I love language.

5/31/2011 #337
piewacket

I love how this one word has sparked a writing exercise. LOL

5/31/2011 #338
piewacket

Thanks, Ignoble, Randy and Morth! Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

5/31/2011 #339
piewacket

Okay, guilty confession here-- I'm watching The Real Housewives of New York. They are in Morocco on a vacation and two blond bimbos are acting in a manner that lets me know exactly why American tourists have such a bad rep.

5/31/2011 #340
Aislynn Crowdaughter

I still maintain that people were expecting Gladiator with crosses on the chests, and this movie was not that.

This is part of the problem with Kingdom of Heavens. But I give you the same problem from the opposite: The latest Robin Hood with Russel Crowe. That was kind of Gladiator with bow and arrow. It did not work, at least not for me!

I still think that Bloom did fine in KoH regarding the role he had to play - the young bastard bringing in his own definition of Knighthood precisely because he was not raised as a nobleman. An actor cat as gruff old and seasoned warrior like Crowe is casted would have ruined the movie, in my opinion. Of course I am speaking about the director's cut version, the theater version is castrated and does not work at all. :(

6/1/2011 #341
Nimbus Llewelyn

On the earlier point about Blacksmiths, not all are massive and muscular, some are wiry instead.

6/1/2011 #342
Nimbus Llewelyn

But I agree he was miscast.

6/1/2011 #343

This is part of the problem with Kingdom of Heavens. But I give you the same problem from the opposite: The latest Robin Hood with Russel Crowe. That was kind of Gladiator with bow and arrow. It did not work, at least not for me!

You know, if Ridley Scott had just switched his actors around . . . Because Orlando Bloom, being the reincarnation of Erroll Flynn, would have kicked ass as Robin Hood. And Crowe could have played the thick-necked pouty blacksmith everyone seemed to want in KoH.

6/1/2011 #344

Okay, guilty confession here-- I'm watching The Real Housewives of New York.

'Real' housewives my Aunt Fanny! I've never watched the show, but from the trailers I've seen, they seem to be overly pampered trophy-wife types. Lots of manicures, figure-hugging dresses and plumped-up lips. I wouls so love to see a show called Real Housewives of Cudahy -- washing floors, clipping coupons and shopping at Walmart. And they'd all have a BMI of like about 30.

two blond bimbos are acting in a manner that lets me know exactly why American tourists have such a bad rep.

The French will love you if you attempt to speak their language, no matter how badly. Probably so they can laugh. Extra points if you give your kids wine with dinner.

I was channel surfing late one night and ran across something called Say Yes to the Dress, in which consultants work with bridezillas to pick out ridiculously overpriced wedding gowns. The main consultant is this fellow by the name of Randy, who, I will admit is impeccably dressed himself. I wanted to ask whence comes this idea that the wedding is 'my day' with no expense to be spared? And, ladies, when what has to be the gayest man in the nation hems and haws and says, "Well the dress IS a little over the top," you should probably listen.

6/1/2011 #345
Nimbus Llewelyn

In Britain we have Gok Wan, who could not be any more Camp Gay if he tried and if he had not been so gay would have been done for sexual harassment a long time ago.

6/1/2011 #346

Randy isn't camp at all. He's just . . . about a quarter-mile past Christopher Lowell when it comes to being 'artistic'. Just for the record, I'm a huge fan of Christopher Lowell and his design sense and his custom-made MDF furniture. The man is a genius.

6/1/2011 #347
Aislynn Crowdaughter

The French will love you if you attempt to speak their language, no matter how badly. Probably so they can laugh. Extra points if you give your kids wine with dinner.

Not in my experience. When I tried to work my way through what I thought was a French sentence to order a replacing battery for my camera back in Paris in 1998, the clerk snapped at me why I did not say it in English. Probably because it took me so long. -________-

6/1/2011 #348
Nimbus Llewelyn

Depends. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Parisians are some of the most irritating and irritable people on earth. In the deep south of France they tend to be more understanding. Though they throw tantrums if you put ice in your wine.

6/1/2011 #349
Hamfast Gamgee

I don't suppose that anyone could have a look at my latest finished Star Wars AU tale?

Journey through the Stars Chapter 1: Many meetings, a star wars fanfic - FanFiction.Net

Although as I said in the foreward it is an attempt to re-write the first two prequeals which many think stanked! I have tried to write them more in the style of the original trilogy but it is long, I suppose that anyone will have to be really gripped to read all of it, but any feedback appreciated, oh and I have looked back on parts of it and made a major effort in grammer and readability! thanks Ham.

6/5/2011 . Edited 6/5/2011 #350
Nimbus Llewelyn

Hmm, I would read it, however I do not know Mortal kombat and am only vaguely familiar with the Punisher.

6/5/2011 #352
Morthoron

...and am only vaguely familiar with the Punisher.

Perhaps the punishment lay in reading the story. ;P

6/5/2011 #353
Hamfast Gamgee

This is a very short Sci-fi tale of mine. Slightly based on an old Asimov short story. Strange however how some concepts seem to span the decades! No matter how some things change human nature does remain very similair. I would appreciate any feedback. It is on the sister site Fictionpress but you can always comment without logging in I'm sure I will know how you are, thanks.

RTFM

7/26/2011 #354
Clodia

Tawarwaith Tales by Lissa's Elves.

Link:

Summary: It's a really lovely, unusual piece.

Long ago, the Eldar left their home by the Lake and set out on a long journey towards the Blessed Realm. So long ago was it that a child of the Third Clan, born long after the Journey began, had time to grow to his full stature and even gain some renown during the time his people wandered westwards.

So why did his people abandon the journey when they reached the Vale of Anduin? Was it really for fear of the towering mountains, as the Noldorin chroniclers tell us?

Or were there perhaps other reasons why they stayed when others left?

Written for the LoTR GenFic Big Bang Challenge 2011 - illustrated by Lady Elleth.

8/3/2011 #355
Hamfast Gamgee

I have written a little tale about an Easterling in the Silmarillion, I would be grateful for any feedback

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7127616/1/Of_Odwaid

Thanks, Ham!

8/26/2011 #356
Nimbus Llewelyn

An absolutely hilarious fic over at AO3, featuring Marvel comics Loki and the Avengers. Though you don't really need to know anything about Marvel to read it:

8/29/2011 #357
Hamfast Gamgee

A Fawlty Towers tale from me if anyone is interested!

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7378523/1/Fawlty_Towers_The_Documentary

9/13/2011 #358
DarkPatu

It seems like a lot of the stories posted in here are LOTR based (I'll have to get cracking on that Gimli-x-Legolas slash I'm working on!) But I'd like to drop these in for review:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7383946/1/Morpheus_the_Reaper A dark tale of rejection, madness, betrayal and a world broken by a choice. Is Tenchi losing his mind or can he really correct the mistake he made so long ago? Tenchi Muyo - Suspense/Angst

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7394123/1/A_Dream_Unrequited Sequel to: Morpheus, the Reaper. Tenchi has awoken, reborn into the world he once rejected, but will things ever be the same? More than that, what has he brought back with him? Tenchi Muyo - Drama/Suspense

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7401807/1/Eldritch_Rites An unholy power has been unleashed on the world, a being that has not been seen in an age. Is the Hellsing organization up to the challenge, or has the last defense of the world from the terrors of the dark met its match? Hellsing -Horror/Spiritual

If anime isn't really your style, I understand, but if you're just looking for a good read please give my stories a shot! I'm quite proud of all of them and would highly appreciate any support or criticism anyone can spare!

9/22/2011 #359

Well, advanced critique you just got. From the excellent quality of your writing, you are clearly up to it.

9/22/2011 #360
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Thranduil Oropherion Redux militaryhistory
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member