Of Cabbages and Kings
Looking for intelligent life at Fanfiction Net? We feature something for everyone: casual chat, serious discussion, debate, fun and games, and that delicious wank. Are you ready to play with the big dogs? Come inside, come inside!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 .. Last Next »
Gwenneth Tinuiel

It counts as 2? Well that's good.

I've done 2 actual college courses, taking 3 APs currently, and am planning on taking approx. 3-4 next year. Depending on how the credits transfer, that's a lot of college. :)

9/3/2010 #211
militaryhistory

Which ones have you taken and will be taking?

9/3/2010 #212
Gwenneth Tinuiel

I took Cultural Anthropology and Intro to Political Science this summer (A's in both). Am currently taking AP Language Comp, AP Biology, and AP US History. Plan on taking AP Lit, AP European History, AP AB Calculus, Either AP Chem or AP Physics A (I think thats what its called), and (Hopefully) either AP US or AP Comparative Government (preferably both).

9/3/2010 #213
militaryhistory

Where are you planning on going to college?

9/3/2010 #214
Gwenneth Tinuiel

I would certainly love a Harvard, Yale, ect. (Top of those is Georgetown) but as I am unlikely to get in, my top choice at the moment is Columbia in NYC or American in DC. American is top. :)

9/3/2010 #215
militaryhistory

Ambitious.

9/3/2010 #216
Epilachna

I just received and accepted the job offer I've been waiting for. Best part is I get to make $17,000 more a year working with the same people, doing the same kind of work, just one block from where I was last stationed (moving from a University to the Department of Agriculture). So excited.

9/21/2010 #217
Virtuella

Congrats, Epi, that's really great. I'm sure you deserve it. :D

9/21/2010 #218
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

Wow! Congratulations to you!

9/21/2010 #219
militaryhistory

Great news.

9/21/2010 #220
hixto

Awesome Epi! Congrats!

9/21/2010 #221
Epilachna

Thanks, guys. I'm a bit nervous about it. University work is a lot more laid back than government. I'm sure once I get into the swing of things it'll be alright.

9/21/2010 #222
hixto

University work is a lot more laid back than government.

Maybe, but think of all the holidays you'll get. :-)

9/21/2010 #223
Epilachna

Maybe, but think of all the holidays you'll get.

Not to mention comp time :D

9/21/2010 #224
Aislynn Crowdaughter

Congratulations, Epilachna! :)

9/22/2010 #225
Epilachna

More happy news!

To celebrate my 30th birthday, my husband and I are flying to Washington D.C. for Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert's "Rally to Restore Sanity/March to Keep Fear Alive."

And of course, we'll be spending a day at the Smithsonian and visiting with friends. I'm stoked. If you haven't seen the announcements, they're hilarious.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-september-16-2010/rally-to-restore-sanity

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/359382/september-16-2010/march-to-keep-fear-alive-announcement

9/22/2010 #226
hixto

To celebrate my 30th birthday, my husband and I are flying to Washington D.C. for Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert's "Rally to Restore Sanity/March to Keep Fear Alive."

Oh, I am so envious! That is going to be great fun. Maybe you could post a pic or two for us less fortunate. :-)

9/23/2010 #227
Epilachna

Maybe you could post a pic or two for us less fortunate. :-)

I'd be happy to. Hopefully I'll get our camera fixed by then. Our cell phones don't always take the best pictures.

9/23/2010 #228

If you shake Stephen Colbert's hand, never wash it again. And tell him Randy thinks he rocks.

Stewart is funny too. But Colbert is a god! LOL

9/23/2010 #229
Epilachna

But Colbert is a god!

I can't even watch the video of the White House press dinner speech. It's so painfully fabulous. I can listen to the audio file, but watching him and Bush's expression throughout the talk is more than my poor soul can handle. I don't know how he was able to give that speech with a straight face and I really don't know what the fool who invited him to speak at that dinner was thinking. Did they think Colbert was in fact a far right news anchor?

EDIT:

He's also invented a word that has come to define business and politics in the 21st century: truthiness. I feel it my gut!

9/23/2010 . Edited 9/23/2010 #230
Virtuella

I was delighted on Sunday when a lady from my church asked me if I would become her prayer partner. What it is, the lady is a street pastor, i.e. a Christian lay person who goes out into the town on weekend nights to help people in distress. It can be simple things like giving a pair of flip flops to a girl who can't walk on her high-heel shoes anymore, or serious things like supporting someone in a real crisis. They have links with the police and with social work and other agencies, and the overall purpose is to offer God's love in a practical and non-judgemental way. When I first heard of this work last year, I was fascinated, because I think it is an eminently Christian thing to do. However, my current situation would make it very difficult for me to commit to something that would require a night shift followed by a day of looking after the children. Being a prayer partner is ideal, though. The prayer partners meet with the street pastors before they go out for half an hour of prayer and reflection, and they may also stay at the base for a while to be a point of contact and for moral support. It is an ideal way for me to contribute to their work and a stepping stone to becoming a street pastor at a later point. I was very touched that she asked me; she is such a very nice lady and I'm very happy to support her.

10/5/2010 #231
Just a Wili

Congrats, Virtuella, I can see that this is really important to you!

10/5/2010 #232
Aislynn Crowdaughter

Congratulations, Virtuella! :)

10/5/2010 #233
Virtuella

15 Chilean miners already rescued!

10/13/2010 #234

Oh, that IS wonderful news! I've been thinking about those men.

10/13/2010 #235
Virtuella

Sixteen now. It is amazing indeed, and in a way it also throws a light on our recent discussion about selfish genes etc.

10/13/2010 #236

In what way? That we would all work so hard to rescue trapped miners? Or that the miners themselves shared what little resources they had while trapped?

10/13/2010 #237
Morthoron

The miners have been trapped in my lungs for the last three days. I've been trying to hack them up, but to no avail. I've blown through two bottles of Nyquil and I still feel like shit. I hate doctors, so I hope I don't have to go and get the stock message: "You have a virus, so we won't be prescibing any antibiotics. Just rest. That'll be $100 please."

10/13/2010 #238
Virtuella

In what way? That we would all work so hard to rescue trapped miners? Or that the miners themselves shared what little resources they had while trapped?

Both. And the fact that as a species, we care enough to rescue them at all. Because we might have said, what's 33 miners in the grand scheme of things, they're not worth the effort/time/money. But we're not like that.

10/13/2010 #239

In some very happy news, I managed to get the newest version of Microsoft Works installed on my new computer, and now I can open all my business and fanfiction story files. One very big frustration gone.

10/13/2010 #240
« Prev Page 1 .. 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Thranduil Oropherion Redux militaryhistory
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member