Of Cabbages and Kings
Looking for intelligent life at Fanfiction Net? We feature something for everyone: casual chat, serious discussion, debate, fun and games, and that delicious wank. Are you ready to play with the big dogs? Come inside, come inside!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

Because it pays to increase your vocabulary and watch that look of utter befuddlement on the dfaces of your listeners.

Special prizes for those who can come up with a word that's new to me. ;P

6/2/2009 #1
EmpyrealFantasy

I love words, and thank you for taking my suggestion, love! ^^ There are so many I could put up right now... in my main fic, actually, I try to use as many (fitting) obscure words as possible for chapter titles along with their definitions just so that I can expand people's vocabulary one word at a time. XD So I have dozens of these. I'll use my most recent favorite, though.

I'll use Merriam-Webster for the definition in this case, because I like their format and how they break it down.

Jejune

Pronunciation: \ji-ˈjün\

Function: adjective

Etymology: Latin jejunus empty of food, hungry, meager

Date: 1646

1 : lacking nutritive value jejune diets

2 : devoid of significance or interest : dull jejune lectures

3 : juvenile, puerile jejune reflections on life and art

6/2/2009 . Edited 6/2/2009 #2

*cough* Twilight.

6/2/2009 #3
EmpyrealFantasy

LOL! Indeed it is. :P

Unless you mean that it was used in Twilight, in which case I wonder why you've read it to know such a thing. XD

6/2/2009 #4

I hear tell. Plus, someone took the older granddaughter to see the movie, which was pronounced the 'greatest movie ever!!11!!'.

6/2/2009 #5
EmpyrealFantasy

Yuck, it was used in it? I forfit that word and would like to petition to submit another, plz.

6/2/2009 #6

Yuck, it was used in it?

No, just fulfilled the definition. But you can has second word. ;)

6/2/2009 #7
EmpyrealFantasy

My first choice would be to use zugzwang or onerataxia, but as they are both more technical than vocab, that might be cheating. XD

Sooooo my new word is:

Ameliorate Function: verb Etymology: alteration of meliorate Date: 1767

transitive verb : to make better or more tolerable

intransitive verb : to grow better

6/2/2009 #8

New word of the day:

Bijoona: Noun, meaning that situation in which a badly balance toilet seat/lid won't stay up and falls with a startling crash.

There are several variations on this:

Delayed bijoona: The seat does not fall immediately, allowing the urinator to get going, with obviously consequences.

Double bijoona: Where both seat and lid fall together. Also has consequences, because at least the urinator can still hit the bowl if only the ring falls.

Hairy bijoona: When women put those damn fuzzy covers on the lid, overbalancing the entire assembly. See above for consequences, plus it's much harder to clean up.

Double delayed hairy bijoona: The worst.

Feline bijoona: Cat seated on toilet tank watching urinator in fascination knocks down seat and ring either by accident or on purpose. Very funny, cat. :(

6/8/2009 #9
Clodia

I offer you

tralatician

... a word for which I have so far been unable to uncover any formal definition, although I do have a couple of vague context-based ideas. Any offers?

7/16/2009 #10

Tralactician: A change, as in the use of words: a metaphor.

Webster's New International Dictionary.

7/16/2009 #11
EmpyrealFantasy

I believe that is something to do with using existing laws (I've always seen it as a law term, though it could have other uses) to form new ones. Like, basing new law by pasting together past ideals rather than searching for new forms.

Just a guess, I'll let Sir Randy the Well-Read do more. ;)

7/16/2009 #12
Clodia

The legal thing fits the context nicely. Thanks, both of you!

7/16/2009 #13

Related to tralactitious: 1. Passed along; handed down; transmitted as the portion of the edict of a Roman praetor derived by him from his predecessor. Edict.

7/16/2009 . Edited 7/16/2009 #14

Just a guess, I'll let Sir Randy the Well-Read do more. ;)

Sir Randy had to drag out the dictionary for that one. The BIG dictionary. LOL

7/16/2009 #15
Clodia

I don't have a big dictionary in reach and the internet was being surprisingly uncommunicative. Anyway, thanks!

7/16/2009 #16

You're welcome. Sounds like somebody is researching Roman history. ;)

7/16/2009 #17
Clodia

Someone is always researching Roman history. Well, when someone's actually doing their work, anyway, rather than lazing or writing. ;)

Early annalistic traditions in this case.

7/16/2009 #18
White Eyebrow

From dictionary.com:

met⋅a⋅phor

–noun

1. a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance, as in “A mighty fortress is our God.”

2. something used, or regarded as being used, to represent something else; emblem; symbol.

Going by the definition, does this mean that the word "metaphor" is a metaphor in itself? o.O

7/19/2009 . Edited 7/19/2009 #19
Clodia

logomachy (noun)

1 : a dispute over or about words

2 : a controversy marked by verbiage

Etymology: Greek logomachia, from log- + machesthai, to fight

7/20/2009 . Edited 7/20/2009 #20

logomachy (noun)

1 : a dispute over or about words A smackdown over semantics? A rhubarb over rhetoric?

2 : a controversy marked by verbiage Otherwise known as the US Congress.

Kudos, Clodia. I didn't know that word.

7/20/2009 #21
Clodia

*curtsey*

Why, thank you, kind sir. If you want some context:

With the personae of Caesar and Cato, Sallust sets his own rationalistic and moralistic ideals in opposition to each other, and forces his normative language into a logomachy with itself.

And this is how I end up spending half my time looking up words on the internet.

*rolls eyes*

7/20/2009 #22

With the personae of Caesar and Cato, Sallust sets his own rationalistic and moralistic ideals in opposition to each other, and forces his normative language into a logomachy with itself.

O_o

Dilbertspeak: See above.

7/20/2009 #23
Clodia

Basically, yes.

No doubt more examples will follow in due course.

7/20/2009 #24
hixto

That sentence gives a whole new meaning to the quote "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it." And repeat it again and again until they can understand the textbooks. lol

7/20/2009 #25

I think they're hoping they'll look even smarter if no one can understand what they're saying.

7/20/2009 #26
hixto

I think they're hoping they'll look even smarter if no one can understand what they're saying.

Sounds more like they are trying to weed out the less perspicacious students. lol

7/20/2009 #27
Clodia

I think they're hoping that if no one can understand what they're saying, they'll get away with spouting fluff and the obvious.

But then, I'm biased. I have to read this stuff.

7/21/2009 #28
Clodia

thymoeidetic (adj)

transferred to English from the Greek θυμοειδής, found also in the Republic. "Thymoeidetic" is a derivative of the word θυμός, which can roughly be interpreted as meaning the part of the soul which creates emotions. Thus, thymos is also understood as the part of the soul by which we also feel φιλία. Philia can, if misused, become anger, envy or hatred; hence, thymos is also a synonym for anger, ὀργή. L. indicates that in Platonic erotic theory, the irascible part of the soul, θυμός, is the one, which causes political activity through envy.

-- Tiina Purola, reviewing PW Ludwig, Eros & Polis. Desire and Community in Greek Political Theory, in Arctos 41 (2007).

Liddel and Scott (Greek-English Lexicon) on θυμοειδής:

A. high-spirited, τὸ θ. Hp.Aër.12; opp. ἄθυμος, Pl. R.456a; opp. ὀργίλος, ib.411c. 2. passionate, hot-tempered, opp. πραΰς, ib.375c. b. of horses, mettled, X.Mem.4.1.3; opp. εὐπειθέστατος, Id.Smp.2.10: Comp., opp. βλακωδέστερος, Id.Eq.9.1. 3. Philos., τὸ θ. spirit, passion, opp. τὸ λογιστικόν, τὸ ἐπιθυμητικόν, Pl. R.440e, al., cf. D.L.3.67. Adv. “-δῶς” Hdn.4.3.3.

... why is this article talking about the "thymoeidetic citizens of [Aristotle's] best regime"? What does it meeaaaaan? I still don't really know what the word means after twenty minutes of chasing it round the internet! Any better definitions, anyone?

*sigh*

ED. Oh wait, it means they're high-spirited and don't take well to being ruled. Well, why the hell couldn't he just say so?

*not impressed*

7/21/2009 . Edited 7/21/2009 #29
Clodia

And another one.

prosopopoeia (noun)

1 : a figure of speech in which an imaginary or absent person is represented as speaking or acting

2 : personification

Etymology: Latin, from Greek prosōpopoiia, from prosōpon mask, person (from pros- + ōps face) + poiein to make — more at eye, poet

7/21/2009 . Edited 7/21/2009 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Thranduil Oropherion Redux militaryhistory
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member