Of Cabbages and Kings
Looking for intelligent life at Fanfiction Net? We feature something for everyone: casual chat, serious discussion, debate, fun and games, and that delicious wank. Are you ready to play with the big dogs? Come inside, come inside!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

Thank you, Azral, for the suggestion. Talk about your favorite music here.

6/14/2009 #1
Azral Returns

Ok, lets see. I dunno. I really like Prog Rock and Ska and Street Punk.

6/16/2009 #2
hixto

Ok, lets see. I dunno. I really like Prog Rock and Ska and Street Punk.

May we have some names of songs or bands please?

6/16/2009 #3

Lord, but I'm boring. My favorite music is classical -- the late Romantic Era and the early Twentieth Century. Since Milwaukee lost its classical radio station and our sound system quit working, I don't get to listen to it. So I've switched to Classic Rock, which is anything from about 1966 to 1982. I prefer the Stones to the Beatles, but I like the Doors even better.

I don't mind country too much. I like folk and bluegrass.

And Metallica. I love Metallica.

6/16/2009 #4
Azral Returns

May we have some names of songs or bands please?

Ok,

Artists

IQ

Alan Parson's Project

Dead Kennadys

Rancid

Rush

Ramones

Spock's Beard

Incubus

Great Big Sea

Tom Smith

Gorillaz

Nine Inch Nails

Three Days Grace

Kansas

Lemon Demon

Matchbox 20

Moxy Fruvous

Porcupine Tree

Bad Religion

Rise Against

Supertramp

Muse

The Who

Duncan Sheik

Duran Duran

Musicals

The Producers

Rent

The Young Frankenstein

Lion King

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Spring Awakening

Once Upon A Mattress

Thats not all but its a good range

6/17/2009 . Edited 6/17/2009 #5

Wow -- there are actually some bands in there that I recognise! I really like The Who. :)

6/17/2009 #6
Clodia

I'm going to offer you all this, because I love it (and also the show) and it just came up on my media player:

Anything Goes by Cole Porter.

Not the best recording ever: sorry. :(

(Saw Indiana Jones and the Temple of DOOM the other night and it gained massive points for kicking off with this song.)

7/27/2009 #7

(Saw Indiana Jones and the Temple of DOOM the other night and it gained massive points for kicking off with this song.)

And sung in Mandarin Chinese, no less! That was one of the only good things about that movie -- probably the least good of all four.

7/27/2009 #8
Gone and Gone

Well, I like Coheed and Cambris, heres a link to one of their songs- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCZMqx3PdFY&feature=fvw

I also like Iron Maiden and Queen.

7/27/2009 #9
Clodia

That was one of the only good things about that movie -- probably the least good of all four.

Well. Granted, the small boy was highly irritating, Indy's attitude towards the unlucky singer he kidnapped was rather unpleasant, and there were some distinctly Unfortunate Implications along the way. On the other hand, at least it didn't turn out to be Aliens All Along.

7/27/2009 #10

Indy's attitude towards the unlucky singer he kidnapped was rather unpleasant,

She was rather unpleasant too. Gawd, what a set of pipes on that woman! LOL What we had was a differences in actresses -- Karen Allen was far less amenable to taking direction, and thus her character retained more dignity. Kate Capshaw took Speilberg's direction to the extent that she married the guy. LOL

Unfortunate Implications

Such as insulting a major religion. LOL

On the other hand, at least it didn't turn out to be Aliens All Along.

Yes. That. But I like the idea that a geezer could still kick some serious butt. Abnd they got Marion back. :)

7/27/2009 #11
Clodia

Abnd they got Marion back. :)

I approve of this: I liked Marion.

She was rather unpleasant too.

Hm... TBH, I thought she was rather well-behaved for someone who was basically kidnapped and dragged out into the jungle etc etc. I'd have been a much worse liability. And Indy was a nightmare.

7/27/2009 #12

Hm... TBH, I thought she was rather well-behaved for someone who was basically kidnapped and dragged out into the jungle etc etc. I'd have been a much worse liability. And Indy was a nightmare.

Indy is a SOB with women -- no two ways about it. There was one rather sweet bit that didn't make it into the movie, although it must have been in the script because it made it into the novelisation. On the road, right before they get to Pankot Palace, poor Willie's feet give out with the hill still to climb. She's been trying to walk in heels, after all. She and Indy exchange a look, and without a word he picks her up and carries her the rest of the way.

7/27/2009 #13
Clodia

On the road, right before they get to Pankot Palace, poor Willie's feet give out with the hill still to climb. She's been trying to walk in heels, after all. She and Indy exchange a look, and without a word he picks her up and carries her the rest of the way.

They should have left it in. I might have forgiven him the rest and believed the romance.

7/27/2009 #14
hixto

I'm going to offer you all this, because I love it (and also the show) and it just came up on my media player:

Anything Goes by Cole Porter.

I love Cole Porter and I love that show. I have the soundtrack of the Broadway revival this clip is from. Thanks for posting this. I'd love to have been able to see that show live.

Not the best recording ever: sorry. :(

Sounds good enough to me. Besides I'm willing to put up with a lot to watch Patti LuPone. :-)

I agree with Randy, the opening of that movie is the best part. It all went downhill (or is that over a waterfall in a rubber raft?) from there.

7/27/2009 #15
White Eyebrow

For some reason I have been jamming Alanis Morisette all week. Particularly "Uninvited" and "Ironic." (I loved her since "you can't do that on television" :p)

...It all went downhill (or is that over a waterfall in a rubber raft?) from there.

Ew, I always pretend that part is a hallucination caused by hypoxia from loss of cabin pressure. They were right about about chilled monkey brains however: good eatin'.

7/29/2009 #16
hixto

They were right about about chilled monkey brains however: good eatin'.

LOL Are you speaking from experience perchance?

7/29/2009 #17
Quite Contrary Mary

LOL Are you speaking from experience perchance?

Personally, I don't think I can be friends with anyone who HAS NOT enjoyed a chilled monkey brain. ;)

Seth, those happen to be two of my favorite Alanis Morisette songs. She's hilarious, she made a cover to the song "My Humps" By Fergie that had me laughing hysterically. XD "Uninvited" takes me right back to City of Angels. Meg Ryan pre-botox, Nicholas Cage pre-receding hairline, those were the days.

I don't if anyone knows Oasis, but I just heard a cover of their song Wonderwall by Ryan Adams that I actually like better than the original.

7/29/2009 #18
White Eyebrow

She's hilarious, she made a cover to the song "My Humps"

Don't get me started on that. Did you see the video? XD

...Are you speaking from experience perchance?

*blushes*

Well... it was calf's brains actually, and it was sort mashed so it didn't look like brains, but how different can it be? ;p

7/29/2009 #19
Quite Contrary Mary

Don't get me started on that. Did you see the video? XD

Fergie, eat your heart out. Alanis does indeed have junk in her trunk. LOL she actually suprised me with her dancing.

7/29/2009 #20
Azral Returns

"The Protomen" is my favorite new band. When I first listened too them I listened for 4 hours straight and shivered the entire time.

The subject matters also kind of interesting, You take the first, original Megaman series and make it have a child with George Orwell's "1984".

The Protomen

"Hope Rides Alone"- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGvqMXYhYhU

"Funeral For A Son"- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zniur_5NsfA

"Unrest In The House Of Light"- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR-943_jrJ0

"The Will Of One"- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l00yZtFrAM

"Vengence"- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeYGiS_hZhU

"The Stand (Man Or Machine)"- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUpIg9ZFsd4&feature=related (Best song on the album IMO)

"The Sons of Fate"- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh2rPGBSamE&feature=fvw (Second Best)

"Due Vendetta"- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y5kkkDyqOQ&feature=related

(Yes, they are in costume on stage. They in fact don't come out of character even for interviews. They are THAT awesome!)

8/5/2009 #21
Clodia

Sinatra, Mack the Knife.

8/11/2009 #22
hixto

I like the Bobby Darin version better, but you and I seem to have the same musical tastes. :-)

8/11/2009 #23
Clodia

you and I seem to have the same musical tastes. :-)

Hm, let's test this. :D

Leonard Cohen

Hallelujah (though that's the Buckley cover, which is also lovely)

Dance me to the end of love

Suzanne

Everybody knows

I could go on with this a lot longer, but that'll probably do. :D

(And oh, back to Sinatra a minute, Fly me to the moon.)

8/12/2009 #24
hixto

Yes to all those except Suzanne, on which I will reserve judgement until I'm able to follow the link and listen.

And thanks for the links btw. I love finding new songs to love and reacquainting myself with old ones. :-)

8/12/2009 #25
Clodia

I have to admit, Suzanne took me quite a while to get used to, but now I love it. :D

And thanks for the links btw. I love finding new songs to love and reacquainting myself with old ones. :-)

No trouble, I like reacquainting myself too. :D Trouble is, I find it hard to concentrate on working with music on, so I don't really listen all that much. Which is sad.

8/12/2009 #26
hixto

Me too. I'm so easily distracted when writing that I can't listen to music. I only listen when I'm in the car driving from place to place, and then it's usually whatever is on the radio.

8/12/2009 #27

Hallelujah (though that's the Buckley cover, which is also lovely)

That's the one I have, and it set the bar for me. The Cohen cover I heard in Watchmen was rather disappointing, I thought. And on a very sad note, when I checked around the net for the different verses, I learned that Jeff Buckley died twelve years ago at the young age of thirty. He drowned accidentally in the Mississippi while swimming.

Suzanne

I've never heard Cohen sing Suzanne. I think the version I heard, many years ago was by Donovan. It's some lovely poetry for sure, and Iggy, you will recognise a line from it that we discussed as a possible title for a POTC fic.

I had forgotten the song's existence until I saw a comedy routine by Richard Belzer in which he recites the lyrics to Suzanne with the implication that Suzanne is a psychopath and not the sort of woman a guy wants to go home with. LOL

8/12/2009 #28
Clodia

I had forgotten the song's existence until I saw a comedy routine by Richard Belzer in which he recites the lyrics to Suzanne with the implication that Suzanne is a psychopath and not the sort of woman a guy wants to go home with. LOL

Well, in fairness, she does wear rags and feathers from Salvation Army counters. And you know that she's half-crazy, but that's why you want to be there. And just when you mean to tell her that you have no love to give her, then she gets you on her wavelength and she lets the river answer that you've always been her lover. And you want to travel with her, blindly, and you know that you can trust her because she's touched your perfect body with her mind...

... it doesn't sound like a terribly promising relationship, does it?

*is humming*

8/12/2009 . Edited 8/12/2009 #29
Clodia

That's the one I have, and it set the bar for me.

There's also a rather nice Wainwright (Rufus) version, here.

I love them all, but I think maybe I love the original best. :D And they all have slightly different words, which gets confusing.

8/12/2009 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Thranduil Oropherion Redux militaryhistory
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member