Of Cabbages and Kings
Looking for intelligent life at Fanfiction Net? We feature something for everyone: casual chat, serious discussion, debate, fun and games, and that delicious wank. Are you ready to play with the big dogs? Come inside, come inside!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »
Virtuella

The Tin Drum is brilliant, though disturbing in parts (horse's head, anyone?) Definitely worth reading.

My husband read The Da Vinci Code and said I wouldn't like it, it wouldn't comply with my standards, lol. Besides, I'd heard people say stuff like that The Da Vinci Code proved that the Bible "wasn't true" and that just made me snigger. According to what my husband told me, it's one of those books that sell as sensational relevations what every theology student learns in first year. *rolleyes*

3/9/2010 . Edited 3/9/2010 #91
AltearazCreator

I honestly found the Da Vinci Code to be dull. I couldn't finish it. Angels and Demons was a much better read. As you say, not the best written thing, but it's entertaining.

3/9/2010 #92
Olorime

I find it funny that when people read Dan Brown they accept his Gary Stu, Robert Langdom without questions. The guy survives falling of a plane and an anti-matter explosion for crying out loud!

Not even Mac Giver could top that.

ETA: The Tin Drum is on my list of books to read now. That ever growing list.

3/9/2010 . Edited 3/9/2010 #93
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

Now I'm almost embarrassed to admit what I'm reading currently -- The Journeyer, by Gary Jennings. This is his first person account of the adventures of Marco Polo.

Next on my list -- re-read Huckleberry Finn.

3/9/2010 #94

A Brief History of the Wars of the Roses by Desmond Seward.

That sounds like jolly good fun. I haven't read about the War of the Roses since Thomas Costain's The Last Plantagenets.

3/9/2010 #95
Aislynn Crowdaughter

ETA: The Tin Drum is on my list of books to read now. That ever growing list.

To my everlasting shame I must admit I've never read it. Nor watched the movie. :/

A Brief History of the Wars of the Roses by Desmond Seward.

I haven't read about the War of the Roses since Thomas Costain's The Last Plantagenets.

Those sound very interesting, both. Maybe I should try to get them. Is Constain's book a novel or a history book?

I am still trying to read Naomi Klein's "No Logo!". And next on my wish list: Max Weber's "Die protestantische Ethik und der Geist des Kapitalismus", so I can finally participate in the Philosophy Thread with saying more than "- Um." ;)

3/9/2010 #96
Morthoron

That sounds like jolly good fun. I haven't read about the War of the Roses since Thomas Costain's The Last Plantagenets.

The Last Plantagenets was a lively book; however, Costain spent nearly half the book reviewing the life of Richard II, one of the meeker Plantagenets, and one of my least favorite of that nutty, whacky bunch. Thus, Costain neglects the really interesting latter kings of that inbred group, Henry IV and V, Edward IV and Richard III.

3/9/2010 #97

Those sound very interesting, both. Maybe I should try to get them. Is Constain's book a novel or a history book?

History book -- the final in a series of four: The Conquering Family, The Magnificent Century, The Three Edwards, and The Last Plantagenets. I own only the final one, and I don't believe I've read the second.

3/9/2010 #98

Oh, hell -- FFN had a little brain-fart there.

3/9/2010 . Edited 3/9/2010 #99

he Last Plantagenets was a lively book; however, Costain spent nearly half the book reviewing the life of Richard II, one of the meeker Plantagenets, and one of my least favorite of that nutty, whacky bunch. Thus, Costain neglects the really interesting latter kings of that inbred group, Henry IV and V, Edward IV and Richard III.

He spent an inordinate amount of time on Henry VI too -- or was that Shakespeare? LOL

3/9/2010 #100
Olorime

Now I'm almost embarrassed to admit what I'm reading currently -- TheJourneyer, by Gary Jennings. This is his first person account of theadventures of Marco Polo.

Why is that?

3/9/2010 #101

Why is that?

It's nowhere near as scholarly as Moth's and Virtuella's. It does, however, make Dan Brown read like Go, Dog, Go. LOL

3/9/2010 #102
Olorime

Oh, yeah.

I don't read very scholarly books, I don't think. Welcome to the club! :)

That's my virtual bookshelf, it even has a very bad picture of me *cringes*

I really should take that picture down.

3/9/2010 #103
Clodia

The last work of fiction I read was Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Very grownup. *firm nod*

3/9/2010 #104
Aislynn Crowdaughter

It's a lovely picture, though! And I like the list. I need to read Dawkins, too - someone I really need to put on my list at some point.

3/9/2010 #105
Aislynn Crowdaughter

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

O_O Er, that's by Jane Austen? *hides*

3/9/2010 #106
Clodia

It's mostly by Jane Austen!

3/9/2010 #107
Olorime

Heh, I shall put that book on my list of books to read Clodia.

Aislynn you are kind. I was being silly rocking the new aviator sunglasses for that photo. So now you know that I've read all of the HP books. I am out of the closet. LOL

3/9/2010 . Edited 3/9/2010 #108
Clodia

Heh, I shall put that book on my book list Clodia.

It's rather fun. :'D

3/9/2010 #109

O_O Er, that's by Jane Austen? *hides*

Yes, in her little-known later splatterpunk period.

3/9/2010 #110
Gogol

I just finished Of Human Bondage. Cakes and Ale was better. Frankly, I think I'm over my Maugham streak. Damn Edwardians and their repressedness and the undue attention they paid to ladies' arms.

3/9/2010 #111
Morthoron

He spent an inordinate amount of time on Henry VI too -- or was that Shakespeare? LOL

Richard II and Henry VI were both mentally weak rulers better off in a monastery (or anywhere other than a throne). Henry VI in particular had a genetic defect known as the 'Valois curse' inherited from his mother Catherine, daughter of Charles VI of France. The Valois kings of the time were all pretty fucked up, except Charles V who was a shrewd and admirable king. Charles VI (Henry VI's French grandfather and son of the wise Charles V) was haunted by madness throughout his adult life. He sometimes romped through the halls of his palace on all fours howling like a wolf, and at other times would cower in fear, believing he was made of glass.

3/9/2010 #112

Charles VI (Henry VI's French grandfather and son of the wise Charles V) was haunted by madness throughout his adult life. He sometimes romped through the halls of his palace on all fours howling like a wolf, and at other times would cower in fear, believing he was made of glass.

Antonia Fraser has speculated that Mary Queen of Scots may have suffered from porphyria (which accounted for some of her very bad judgments) and passed it on down to George III. When I read that, I wondered if it could be traced back to Charles VI of France, through Henry Tudor back through Catherine of Valois.

3/9/2010 #113
Reader's Corner

No, but since I've already discussed Umberto Eco, might I suggest you eschew Dan Brown's rather inept forays into religious conspiracy (Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons), and opt for something completely out of Brown's league: Eco's brilliant Foucault's Pendulum, which makes the Da Vinci Code look like a gradeschool conspiracy primer. I had read a bit of The Da Vinci Code; unfortunately, I had done so after reading Eco's book, and I found myself giggling at Dan Brown's sophomoric attempt.

I will try to find Foucault's Pendulum. Thanks you for the suggestion.

3/9/2010 #114
Virtuella

Yes, in her little-known later splatterpunk period.

"Snort*

3/9/2010 #115
Morthoron

Antonia Fraser has speculated that Mary Queen of Scots may have suffered from porphyria (which accounted for some of her very bad judgments) and passed it on down to George III. When I read that, I wondered if it could be traced back to Charles VI of France, through Henry Tudor back through Catherine of Valois.

Hmmm...interesting. I realize porphyria has genetic markers, but I don't know enough about the long term viability of the disease over so many generations. We're talking almost 400 hundred years here. But with such intense inbreeding among European royals, such genetic traits could have been reintroduced time and time again. But George I (George III's grandfather) was not as closely related to Queen Anne as 50 Catholic relations, but George was chosen to succeed Anne as he was the closest in relation and Protestant (the Jacobites supported Anne's half brother James Francis Edward Stuart, who was closest in relation and Catholic).

Intriguing theory though. I'll have to do some research.

3/9/2010 #116
Virtuella

the Jacobites supported Anne's half brother James Francis Edward Stuart, who was closest in relation and Catholic

Oh, yes, I remember that. Bonnie Prince Charlie's dad, right? The Old Pretender. Wonder what he pretended all the time?

3/9/2010 #117

The Old Pretender. Wonder what he pretended all the time?

That he hadn't been slipped into Mary of Modena's bed in a warming pan? ;)

3/9/2010 #118
Morthoron

The Old Pretender. Wonder what he pretended all the time?

Well, based on the wigs men wore at the time, he could very well have been pretending to be his mum, Mary of Modena.

EDIT: Hmmm...must be the night for Mary of Modena jokes.

3/9/2010 . Edited 3/9/2010 #119

Hmmm...interesting. I realize porphyria has genetic markers, but I don't know enough about the long term viability of the disease over so many generations.

I'm not a doctor and know almost nothing about porphyria other than it can cause periodic insanity. So when Lady Antonia wrote her biography of Mary Queen of Scots and speculated about the porphyria, I thought, hmm -- maybe it goes back even further. The Valois genes entered the English Royal family through the back door so to speak, through Catherine's alliance with Owen Tudor.

3/9/2010 #120
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Thranduil Oropherion Redux militaryhistory
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member