Of Cabbages and Kings
Looking for intelligent life at Fanfiction Net? We feature something for everyone: casual chat, serious discussion, debate, fun and games, and that delicious wank. Are you ready to play with the big dogs? Come inside, come inside!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 .. Last Next »
Olorime

Slow Reading rocks. I know, I am a very, very slow reader of late. I've been reading the same paragraph of the Selfish Gene for a week now. :P

7/15/2010 #211
White Eyebrow

Slow Reading rocks.

Seconded, wholeheartedly.

I'm in general agreement. I would elaborate by saying our technology hasn't made us "dumb", just lazy. We are turning into a "first draft" culture.

7/15/2010 #212
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

I guess I'm a dinosaur. Check out the Fine Print thread for how thirty extra years made me able to find the hidden themes in a book. I will confess that I tend to skim technical type stuff.

This reminds me of a line from The Big Chill where Jeff Goldblum's character bemoans working for a magazine where he couldn't write an article that took the average reader longer than the time it requires to take the average shit. Seems like we don't even have that amount of concentration anymore.

7/15/2010 #213
White Eyebrow

Well if its a good enough article I'll read it to the end. You just have to remember to flush if you think you're going to stick around.

7/15/2010 #214
AltearazCreator

I have a tendency as a reader to end up on the opposite page of where I actually am, and then going back over everything again. A sort of wandering eye, I suppose :P

Olorime: Yay Selfish Gene!

7/15/2010 #215
Olorime

I'm in general agreement. I would elaborate by saying our technology hasn't made us "dumb", just lazy. We are turning into a "first draft" culture.

I agree. I have a small victory to announce, my husband, a person who hates reading, just finished Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. I know it is not a literary master piece but it's a start. I gave him that book as a birthday present and he told me he loved it!

7/15/2010 . Edited 7/21/2010 #216
Olorime

Olorime: Yay Selfish Gene!

It's such an interesting book, and this one you have to read slowly Al, to take everything in. It's fascinating, really. :)

7/15/2010 #217
AltearazCreator

This isn't so much cool as laughably ridiculous. The 'I Write Like' meme -

I entered the first paragraph of Knightfall in Creuzet and apparently I write like Shakespeare. XD

7/20/2010 #218
White Eyebrow

Dan Brown for me, although I've never read his stuff.

Too bad it can't quantify style.

7/20/2010 #219

I tried it about six times and got different names each time, from David Foster Wallace to JRR Tolkien. Basically, it isn't at all scientific -- it just picks out a few key words in the text.

7/20/2010 #220
AltearazCreator

Yep. Like I said, good for a laugh.

7/20/2010 #221
Clodia

Canada, I salute you!

And your Jedis.

7/21/2010 #222
Clodia

Pictures for the Star Trek fans among us: Star Trek, the Corporate Version!

(I do like his pictures.)

7/29/2010 #223
Morthoron

'Sense and Knocked Insensible'? Jane Austen's Fight Club

8/1/2010 #224

Jane Austen's Fight Club

Ai, Morth, is nothing sacred? ROFL

8/1/2010 #225
Morthoron

Ai, Morth, is nothing sacred? ROFL

At this point in the world's sordid history? No, nothing is sacred.

8/1/2010 #226
Epilachna

'Sense and Knocked Insensible'? Jane Austen's Fight Club

This is beyond ridiculous. I'd never read or watch any of these spoof books/movies, but I can so see the Hollywood parody circuit jumping on this.

EDIT:

I've been reading the same paragraph of the Selfish Gene for a week now. :P

This is kind of disturbing. I'm reading The Selfish Gene, too. It's currently in my car as my 'I'm waiting someplace and it's taking too long' book. I read it ages ago and it was just sitting on my shelf asking to be picked up again.

8/1/2010 . Edited 8/1/2010 #227
AltearazCreator

What Fits Into Russia!

8/3/2010 #228

What Fits Into Russia!

Oh, hahahaha!!!! *colossal laughter*

8/3/2010 #229
Olorime

That guys sounds like my friend Sasha. :P

8/3/2010 #230

If I'm not mistaken, that's Dave Thomas, a Canadian. Canada seems to be where we get a lot of our humor from.

8/3/2010 #231
Epilachna

I'm buying a copy of this for my dad and father in law. It's amazing.

8/4/2010 #232
Olorime

ROFLMAO!

8/4/2010 #233
Epilachna

EDIT: Weird double post. Not sure how that happened.

8/4/2010 . Edited 8/4/2010 #234
Clodia

That is amazing. XD

8/4/2010 #235
Epilachna

My favorite so far:

"HIDDEN roaming charges? Jesus, Sprint has 'fucking people' down to a science, like they practice it in a fucking lab on mice first."

8/4/2010 #236
Olorime

*snickers*

:P

8/4/2010 #237
Epilachna

Or this one:

"Fine, let's take a vote. Who wants fish for dinner?...Yeah, democracy ain't so fun when it fucks you, huh?"

8/4/2010 #238
Olorime

Mine:

"Don't mess with him...Trust me, you don't fuck with a man that sleeps next to a woman he never screws. They're unpredictable."

and

"No, I'm not a pessimist. At some point the world shits on everybody. Pretending it ain't shit makes you an idiot, not an optimist."

8/4/2010 #239
Epilachna

And in the spirit of the Fine Print discussion:

"Oh please, you practically invented lazy. People should have to call you and ask for the rights to lazy before they use it."

8/4/2010 #240
« Prev Page 1 .. 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Thranduil Oropherion Redux militaryhistory
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member