Of Cabbages and Kings
Looking for intelligent life at Fanfiction Net? We feature something for everyone: casual chat, serious discussion, debate, fun and games, and that delicious wank. Are you ready to play with the big dogs? Come inside, come inside!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Morthoron

The Official 2010 Middle-earth Fanfiction Awards thread.

So, who's got what and who needs nominations? I was going to nominate a Virtuella story, but it seems her adherents, disciples and acolytes were all ready, fingers perched hesitantly over their keyboards, waiting for the nomination period to start. So I nominated a Clodia piece 'A Beleriand Treasury of Childish Tales' which is wonderfully twisted:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4937629/3/A_Beleriand_Treasury_of_Childish_Tales

5/30/2010 #1
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

So I nominated a Clodia piece 'A Beleriand Treasury of Childish Tales' which is wonderfully twisted:

Excellent choice, Sir! I also recommend that story highly.

I've just been at the MEFA site finalizing a review and populating my wish list. I fear my eyes were bigger than my keyboard, so to speak. We'll see if I get all of them done.

5/30/2010 #2
Clodia

ILU both. ♥♥♥

And also Virtuella and Elleth and Elliska and Lyra/Oloriel, thanks to whom Goldilocks and the Three Balrogs, The Journal of Alatariel, Missionary, Dawn & Dusk ( Blood and Fire and Warping Arda: Spectrum have been nominated. So. Uh. I guess I'll have to write some more stories if I want to play next year.

Now I just need the time/energy to get properly involved and review everything on my growing wishlist.

5/30/2010 #3
Virtuella

I would have nominated all of Clodia's fics, but I stick to my policy of two nominations per author, so I'm glad to see others taking care of the rest.

Thanks for the good intentions, Morth. :) I still have one unnominated story...

5/30/2010 #4
Morthoron

Thanks for the good intentions, Morth. :) I still have one unnominated story...

Well, I was going to nominate 'Truth Be Told' because I thought highly of it. I don't just nominate things because I am friends with someone, after all. ;p

And thank you again for nominating my Monty Python's Fellowship of the Ring. It'll be interesting to see if the reviews for that are better or more numerous than for The Hobbit parody from last year.

5/30/2010 #5
Virtuella

PS: Do people really say Mee-fa? I always say Meh-fa.

5/30/2010 #6
Morthoron

PS: Do people really say Mee-fa? I always say Meh-fa.

Meh-fa? My, what affectations you have. I suppose you say Poh-tah-toe as well. How hoity-toity!

5/30/2010 #7
Virtuella

Well, I was going to nominate 'Truth Be Told' because I thought highly of it.

Thanks. :) You're the seventh person I know of who wanted to nominate that. I hope that's some indication of the reviews it's going to get.

5/30/2010 #8

I say Mee-fa, but then again, I say pah-jah-ma. I guess I swing both ways. :)

5/30/2010 #9

Thanks. :) You're the seventh person I know of who wanted to nominate that. I hope that's some indication of the reviews it's going to get.

Right. I was checking out the withdrawn nominations list, and a bunch of them were for multiple nominations of 'Truth'. Seems like a bunch of people had that idea all at the same time.

5/30/2010 #10
Virtuella

Meh-fa? My, what affectations you have. I suppose you say Poh-tah-toe as well. How hoity-toity!

It's called a German accent. I don't normally have one, but with words I've never heard anyone say I tend to default to a German pronounciation.

5/30/2010 #11
Morthoron

It's called a German accent. I don't normally have one, but with words I've never heard anyone say I tend to default to a German pronounciation.

Shouldn't it be mein-fa then. ;p

*ducks from the rage of the blitkrieging valkyr*

I was just kidding, sheesh. Don't get all Prussian on me.

5/30/2010 #12
Virtuella

Oh, I even think of the Teitho contest as the "Tie-toh" contest. How does one pronounce that anyway? Tee-though?

5/30/2010 #13

'Teitho' is a Sindarin word -- Darth would be the one to ask for the proper pronunciation. I'm a little foggy on that.

Based on English pronunciation, it would be Tie-tho.

5/30/2010 #14
Virtuella

Ah, but judging from the pronounciation guidelines in the appendices to LOTR, Sindarin pronounciation is more like German anyway.

5/30/2010 #15
Morthoron

According to both the Ardalambion and Hiswelókë sites, teitho is pronounced [tˈɛjθɔ], and the θ symbol (Greek theta) refers to the th sound, rather than t-h in separate syllables.

5/30/2010 . Edited 5/30/2010 #16

teitho is pronounced [tˈɛjθɔ], and the θ symbol (Greek theta) refers to the th sound, rather than t-h in separate syllables.

Would that be a hard th (as in think) or a soft th (as in thus or though)?

5/30/2010 #17
Clodia

halp hallllllllllp

I don't know what categories to put the Beleriand Treasury in!

5/30/2010 #18

I don't know what categories to put the Beleriand Treasury in!

O_o Neither do I. It runs the gamut as to time period, location, characters . . .

5/30/2010 #19

They really need an 'Omnibus' genre category.

5/30/2010 #20
Clodia

Yeah. They'll have fun working out who to run it against.

Does it count as parody, do you think? It wasn't written parodically...

ED. also, working out which are the main seven characters is making my head hurt a little. :'D

5/30/2010 . Edited 5/30/2010 #21
Virtuella

θ is the hard th.

5/30/2010 #22

Does it count as parody, do you think? It wasn't written parodically...

It's more like literary tribute, but you could use that as a genre. Honestly -- I'm stumped. Anyone else, please?

5/30/2010 #23
Virtuella

"Humour, general"?

5/30/2010 #24
Clodia

They aren't all humorous. Some are decidedly unhumorous, actually.

5/30/2010 #25
Virtuella

Actually, I think it might be a better idea to have these stories compete individually.

5/30/2010 #26
Clodia

It's tricky. :S

5/30/2010 #27
hixto

So, who's got what and who needs nominations?

I have plenty of slash stories you're welcome to read and nominate. lol

5/30/2010 #28
Virtuella

Judging by his earlier comments, I don't think Morth meant to imply that he would provide the nominations.

5/30/2010 #29

Does Morth read slash? This I gotta see. LOL

5/30/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Thranduil Oropherion Redux militaryhistory
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member