Of Cabbages and Kings
Looking for intelligent life at Fanfiction Net? We feature something for everyone: casual chat, serious discussion, debate, fun and games, and that delicious wank. Are you ready to play with the big dogs? Come inside, come inside!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Nimbus Llewelyn

Just write the pairing and fandom. No fighting over whose is best please, though I think you should know that already ;).

9/18/2010 #1
Virtuella

The Rainbow Warrior?

I'm pretty sure Randy's is the Titanic.

9/18/2010 #2
Morthoron

I've always been partial to clippers, like the 'Cutty Sark', but schooners, sloops and frigates are interesting as well. Would you consider this a junk thread?

9/18/2010 #3
Nimbus Llewelyn

I meant romance pairing! XD.

9/18/2010 #4
Morthoron

I meant romance pairing!

You mean like in the movie 'The Titanic' when they did it on the poop deck?

9/18/2010 #5
Nimbus Llewelyn

...I feel got at...wibbles

9/18/2010 #6
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

I'm pretty sure Randy's is the Titanic.

It is the Titanic, but I'm very fond of the Carthaginian from Michener's Hawaii.

9/18/2010 #7

I meant romance pairing! XD.

If I told you which ships float my boat, you'd all ride me out of here on a rail. LOL

9/18/2010 #8

You mean like in the movie 'The Titanic' when they did it on the poop deck?

Hey -- at least the back seat of Billy Carter's Renault got some use before it went to its watery grave!

9/18/2010 #9
Morthoron

Hey -- at least the back seat of Billy Carter's Renault got some use before it went to its watery grave!

They did it all over the place in the Titanic. In fact, you could say the ship was full of seamen. Full of sailors. Excuse me, two different thoughts there. Maybe she was full of sailors as well.

9/18/2010 #10

Is it time for me to post the link to The Captain's Wife's Lament again?

9/18/2010 #11
hixto

They did it all over the place in the Titanic. In fact, you could say the ship was full of seamen. Full of sailors. Excuse me, two different thoughts there. Maybe she was full of sailors as well.

Which is why my favorite ship is the Bounty. It's great for mopping up.

9/18/2010 #12
Virtuella

I have quite a soft spot for the Discovery, too. I've even been on it a few times, it's now part of a museum in Dundee.

9/19/2010 #13
Virtuella

PS: Sorry, Nimbus, but that's the way it goes here. ;-)

9/19/2010 #14
Virtuella

Oh, and then there's the Schürbeck, not a well-known ship, but my father worked on it (as a mecahnic) and went to Cuba on it during the revolution.

9/19/2010 #15
Gogol

*waits for Milhist to bring up that silly ramming steel monstrosity he is so fond of*

I'm quite fond of the Kappamaki, a whaling research ship that specialized in researching the question: How many whales can you catch in one week? Also, ooh, Leonard's Boat is rather lovely, if we extend the definition of ship a little. Um. What else. The Flying Dutchman's not so bad, in the right light, the right light being eerie, fog-torn moonlight.

9/19/2010 #16
Virtuella

The King of Scandinavia has a semi-pleasant children's play area and a rather good breakfast buffet. The beds are awfy narrow, though.

9/19/2010 . Edited 9/19/2010 #17
Morthoron

The King of Scandinavia has a semi-pleasant children's play area and a rather good breakfast buffet.

*Stares blankly at V.*

*Rereads the sentence*

*Wonders where on the king the children play, let alone what's being eaten*

9/19/2010 . Edited 9/19/2010 #18
Virtuella

LOL. I've also slept on the Prince of Scandinavia and, if I remember rightly, on the Queen of Scandinavia. Though I was very sick on the Winston Churchill.

9/19/2010 . Edited 9/19/2010 #19
Nimbus Llewelyn

I should have guessed.... (about the way things go.) As for ships, I particularly like HMS Belfast. Though I am puzzled that the british government had a ship named the belfast in London during the troubles.

9/19/2010 #20
Morthoron

As for ships, I particularly like HMS Belfast. Though I am puzzled that the british government had a ship named the belfast in London during the troubles.

The British government has always been callously oblivious in its rule over subject peoples. Which is why Republican Irish hate these despots with a passion. Read up on overt British neglect during the Potato Famine, and you'll be appalled.

9/19/2010 #21
Nimbus Llewelyn

I've read up on it. Horrible, only scratches the surface. overt neglect doesn't even do that.

9/19/2010 #22
Nimbus Llewelyn

Being just over half welsh, I have an 728 year old chip on my shoulder.

9/19/2010 #23
Morthoron

As has often been said, the Brits have been kicked out of every civilized country they've been in.

9/19/2010 #24
Nimbus Llewelyn

Pretty much. Though mind you, the idea of an army mainly composed of thieves, forgerers (very useful during the peninsula war and the invasion of france) is a shrewd one.

9/19/2010 #25
Nimbus Llewelyn

correction. Thieves forgerers and murderers.

9/19/2010 #26
Fear Die Rothaarige

Since we're going over European history, can someone tell me why the Brits have a certain dislike for redheads?

9/19/2010 #27
AltearazCreator

Red hair was often a good mark of Celticity. Combine that with an accent or flat out Celtic language, and/or warpaint, and right there was everything the English were trying to stamp out in the British Isles. The English believed in Germanic superiority; though they themselves still have some Celtic roots (not that they knew this at the time), they are not culturally Celtic, which was something they felt to be inferior and in need of fixing. Fixing obviously a euphemism here.

For the record, the British weren't kicked out of Canada, but by the time they got to us, they'd rather learned their lesson about being nice to their subjects. When the time came for them to leave, it was more of a polite request that they go and an assertion that full control over our affairs would no longer be accepted. But overall, the British could be very unpleasant overlords for most of the world. Still not as bad as the Portuguese or the Belgians by any means, but certainly nasty.

9/19/2010 #28
Fear Die Rothaarige

Makes sense.

9/19/2010 #29
Nimbus Llewelyn

because of the Scottish/irish, both reknowned for their propensity to have red hair and raid into England. Being fair, when Britain invaded India, they were displacing foreign warlords (the mughal emperors) who weren't exactly reknowned for being nice to people, and at least in the case of Seringapatam they restored the old royal family (on a leash of course). Just pointing it out, not trying to exonerate my fellow countrymen. Also the Connaught rangers (the 87th I think) were one of the most feared regiments in the British army as were the Highland regiments.

Still, the British were hardly the worst. (the belgian congo)

9/19/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Thranduil Oropherion Redux militaryhistory
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member