Of Cabbages and Kings
Looking for intelligent life at Fanfiction Net? We feature something for everyone: casual chat, serious discussion, debate, fun and games, and that delicious wank. Are you ready to play with the big dogs? Come inside, come inside!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

For Wili's guide to the dance, although anyone is free to expound on any kind of dancing from folk to square to 'dirty'.

9/22/2010 #1
Just a Wili

Yay, thanks a lot! *bows*

Since we were talking about people dancing to death… There's that old movie, The Red Shoes, based on a Christian Andersen's tale. In the movie, we're informed that the girl dies in the end, (and Moira Shearer's character indeed jumps to her death). But I checked the original story and the red shoes can only be taken off by amputation. And then there are wooden feet.

Which reminds me of how scary, scary, scary Christian Andersen is!

9/23/2010 #2
hixto

Since we were talking about people dancing to death… There's that old movie, The Red Shoes, based on a Christian Andersen's tale.

I saw that movie years ago. It's so sad. There is also a ballet sequence of The Little Mermaid in a movie called, surprisingly enough, Hans Christian Andersen. It starred Danny Kaye.

So here's a question. Are there any real ballets based on Andersen's stories?

9/23/2010 #3
Virtuella

I will share a dance-related cheesy dream of mine.

****CHEESE ALERT****

It has been my dream for a long time that one day I will waltz with someone who can waltz well (and is, preferably, handsome and charming...) to the music of Tschaikovsky's "Waltz of the Flowers." And I'd be wearing a stunning dress with a big, swooshy skirt. I wanted to do that at our wedding, but Finlay can't waltz, and he has a bad knee and is a foot taller than I, so we did disco dancing instead. Nowadays, I'm thinking the perfect venue would be the round salon at Culzean Castle, on a fine day with a view of the islands.

****END OF CHEESE ALERT****

9/23/2010 . Edited 9/23/2010 #4
Morthoron

Here you go Iggy:

9/23/2010 . Edited 9/23/2010 #5
Just a Wili

Not if we're talking about the worldwide known 19th century classics. Giselle is a combination of legends/literary sources. Swan Lake is a mix of German and Russian folk tales. Sleeping Beauty is based on Perrault's compilations. Don Quixote is based on Cervantes. The writer who really inspired choreographers back then was E.T.A. Hoffman: both Coppélia and The Nutcracker are based on tales signed by him.

It's strange that Christian Andersen was kind of ignored, especially if we take in consideration that Denmark has a solid classic tradition. The late Fernando Bujones once explained in an interview the reason he liked Danish dancers. And the metaphor he used was that of writing a text! According to him, the Russians, for instance, are all strength and "step, step, step;" as for the Danes, they "talk" to you with their clean transitions: their dance is something like "and, step, because, step, then, step, so step."

9/23/2010 #6
Morthoron

*Taps Wili and points emphatically to the post just above hers*

9/23/2010 #7
Just a Wili

It has been my dream for a long time that one day I will waltz with someone who can waltz well (and is, preferably, handsome and charming...) to the music of Tschaikovsky's "Waltz of the Flowers." And I'd be wearing a stunning dress with a big, swooshy skirt.

Yes, so romantic! I always cry a little when I watch the ballroon scene of Beauty and the Beast.

so we did disco dancing instead.LOL! Do you remember the song?

9/23/2010 #8
hixto

Here you go Iggy:

Cool! So Andersen has a ballet based on several of his stories. Now I'm wondering if the movies didn't use the ballets from this work for their ballet segments.

Sleeping Beauty is based on Perrault's compilations.

That's the only ballet I've ever seen live. It was amazing.

It's strange that Christian Andersen was kind of ignored, especially if we take in consideration that Denmark has a solid classic tradition.

I think so too. It seems like his stories would make beautiful, tragic ballets.

9/23/2010 #9

I wanted to do that at our wedding, but Finlay can't waltz, and he has a bad knee and is a foot taller than I, so we did disco dancing instead.

Here's what I don't get -- how is Disco dancing any less hard on the knees than the waltz?

9/23/2010 #10
Just a Wili

*Taps Wili and points emphatically to the post just above hers*

Ah, yes, but I was thinking about repertoire ballets. Ballets signed by the great masters, with scores that are recognized and recorded all over the world. Virtuella wrote about the "Waltz of the Flowers" from The Nutcracker and my sister has a music box that plays that tune. I have Nutcracker Christmas ornaments. Nothing on this level was inspired by Andersen's works.

I'm sure that there are several versions of The Little Mermaid our The Ugly Duckling around (my own school staged the latter once), but these versions are, er, local phenomena? The Pet Shop Boys, for instance, were commissioned to write a score for The Most Incredible Thing in 2007,

but I don't think that ballet will be staged by companies in New York or Saint Petersburg or Tokyo.

9/23/2010 #11

Where does Prokofieff's Cinderella fit in here? Assuming it's even a ballet?

9/23/2010 #12
hixto

Here's what I don't get -- how is Disco dancing any less hard on the knees than the waltz?

I was wondering the same thing.

but I don't think that ballet will be staged by companies in New York or Saint Petersburg or Tokyo.

Cowards. lol

9/23/2010 #13
Morthoron

The Pet Shop Boys, for instance, were commissioned to write a score for The Most Incredible Thing in 2007...

I'm surprised the Pet Shop Boys have been commissioned to do anything; except, perhaps, staying away from musical instruments altogether. I guess one would call that "hush money".

9/23/2010 #14
Just a Wili

Where does Prokofieff's Cinderella fit in here? Assuming it's even a ballet?

It is a ballet, I have the DVD to prove it! Hehe

After the Romantic era, and Marius Petipa's reign in Saint Petersburg, we had the Russian Diaghilev in the beginning of the 20th century. Diaghilev set his Ballets Russes in Paris and had musicians like Prokofiev and Stravinsky working for him, as well as dancers like Nijinsky, Pavlova and Karsavina, choreographers like Michel Fokine, and artists like Henri Matisse and Pablo Picasso drawing sceneries and costumes. These people redefined dance as we know it today.

Prokofiev moved back to his native Russia (now Soviet Union) in 1935; Cinderella was written between 1940-1 and premiered at the Bolshoi Theatre in 1945 (his most famous ballet is Romeo and Juliet, though). And you know, reading around to write this post, I also learned that Prokofiev died the same day as Stalin. And then there were no real flowers for poor Prokofiev, just paper flowers! In Soviet Russia there are no flowers for you!

9/23/2010 #15
Just a Wili

"That's the only ballet I've ever seen live. It was amazing."

Sleeping Beauty is lovely and Tchaikovsky is the best!

My fav ballet score is The Nutcracker.

9/23/2010 . Edited 9/23/2010 #16

My fav ballet score is The Nutcracker.

It's lovely, but .. . come Christmas time, it has been done to death. My absolutely favorite version of it is the televise Kirkland/Baryshnikov one from the 70s.

9/23/2010 #17
Just a Wili

I'm surprised the Pet Shop Boys have been commissioned to do anything; except, perhaps, staying away from musical instruments altogether. I guess one would call that "hush money".

Do you like Bossa Nova? Just curious!

9/23/2010 #18
Morthoron

Do you like Bossa Nova?

Bossa Nova? Brazilian music? Not particularly. I do enjoy a few samba-inflected tunes like Santana's Samba Pa Ti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5AUm_xaE9A&feature=related

But I could live without ever hearing Bossa Nova for the rest of my life.

9/23/2010 #19
Olorime

Hmmm??

You don't like Bossa Nova, or you don't like what is heard here from the Bossa Nova movement?

9/23/2010 #20
Just a Wili

But I could live without ever hearing Bossa Nova for the rest of my life.

You don't like Jobim???? You mean... I mean... You don't like this??!!111??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwLJhBzs-jo

Pagan!

9/23/2010 #21
Just a Wili

You don't like Bossa Nova, or you don't like what is heard here from the Bossa Nova movement?What, is there a Bossa Nova movement around here? Where? I've been to three João Gilberto's shows!

9/23/2010 #22
Olorime

I meant to say that what is usually heard in the US are the most popular interpretations of Bossa Nova, but that may not be the best of the best there is. I am not all that knowledgeable about Bossa Nova, to tell you the truth. I much prefer Samba.

9/23/2010 #23
Morthoron

You don't like Jobim???? You mean... I mean... You don't like this??!!111??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwLJhBzs-jo

Well, I suppose if I was on my way up in the elevator to the dentist's office, I'd listen to it. But it doesn't do much for me, sorry.

Pagan!

Yes, my dear, I'm about as Heathen as they come.

9/23/2010 #24
Just a Wili

I am not all that knowledgeable about Bossa Nova, to tell you the truth. I much prefer Samba.Really? I like the old ones, they at least have good lyrics. *is Brazilian*

9/23/2010 #25
Olorime

Really? I like the old ones, they at least have good lyrics. *is Brazilian*

Yeah, I like the Paulista style of Demõnios da Garoa. Trem das onze is an anthem heard throughout all of South America.

*sings* Não posso ficar nem mais um minuto com você...

9/23/2010 #26
Just a Wili

Well, I suppose if I was on my way up in the elevator to the dentist's office, I'd listen to it. But it doesn't do much for me, sorry.GAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! *is dead*

What about choro, then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vp2y_Doe4w

9/23/2010 #27
Just a Wili

Yeah, I like the Paulista style of Demõnios da Garoa. Trem das onze is an anthem heard throughout all of South America.

You're kidding me??? I'm Paulista and I love Demônios. Italian samba!

A link for you, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKJA7B0MtA0

9/23/2010 #28
Olorime

Oooh, that video is on my favorites folder in my youtube account, and I had provided the link a few months ago here, on the thread Music to my ears, but thanks, I can never get enough of them. :D

They are so awesome!

9/23/2010 #29
Just a Wili

Oooh, that video is on my favorites folder in my youtube account, and I had provided the link a few months ago here, on the thread Music to my ears, but thanks, I can never get enough of them. :D

They are so awesome!

They are! *hugs and kisses you* 9/23/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Thranduil Oropherion Redux militaryhistory
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member