Of Cabbages and Kings
Looking for intelligent life at Fanfiction Net? We feature something for everyone: casual chat, serious discussion, debate, fun and games, and that delicious wank. Are you ready to play with the big dogs? Come inside, come inside!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »
Morthoron

GAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! *is dead*

It's okay. You prefer different music than I do. I forgive you.

What about choro, then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vp2y_Doe4w

Why do I keep wanting to hum The Girl From Ipanema?

9/23/2010 #31
Just a Wili

It's okay. You prefer different music than I do. I forgive you.LOL

Do you know what's in my CD player right now? Do you? Do you? It's TOM JOBIM & FRANK SINATRA! And that shall be my Patronus charm when I talk to you from now on!

Now, gotta go. It's past midnight and my English is turning into a pumpkin. *hugs and kisses you too*

9/23/2010 #32
Virtuella

Here's what I don't get -- how is Disco dancing any less hard on the knees than the waltz?

You can stand on one spot and just wiggle your arms. If your partner is reasonably energetic, the overall effects is still one of dancing. And it was "Waterloo," whioch was, as Morth will note with approval, placed in the correct genre there.

When Gregor was a baby, The Girl From Ipanema was the only tune that would calm him down. I got so sick of singing it.

9/23/2010 #33
Morthoron

And it was "Waterloo," which was, as Morth will note with approval, placed in the correct genre there.

Hmmm? Placed in the correct genre, or consigned to Hell?

9/24/2010 #34
Just a Wili

You can stand on one spot and just wiggle your arms. If your partner is reasonably energetic, the overall effects is still one of dancing. And it was "Waterloo," LOL You know, I didn't like disco dancing, but then I started watching So You Think You Can Dance and now I LOVED it!

9/24/2010 #35
Virtuella

*Sticks tongue out at Morth*

I happen to like Waterloo.

9/24/2010 #36
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

You can stand on one spot and just wiggle your arms. If your partner is reasonably energetic, the overall effects is still one of dancing. And it was "Waterloo," whioch was, as Morth will note with approval, placed in the correct genre there.

Oh -- I was thinking of Travolta grade disco dancing. And my alert censored out 'hard on' the knees. :(

9/24/2010 #37
Morthoron

I happen to like Waterloo.

So did Wellington.

9/24/2010 #38
militaryhistory

Napoleon didn't like it much.

I think Blucher was a fan, too.

9/24/2010 #39
Just a Wili

Napoleon didn't like it much.LOL And that reminds me of something: do you know Terry Guilliam's movie Time Bandits?

9/24/2010 #40
Morthoron

LOL And that reminds me of something: do you know Terry Guilliam's movie Time Bandits?

"Alexander the Great, whose empire stretched from India to Hungary, one inch shorter than me. Oliver Cromwell, the only man with any guts in British history, not a big man at all. ... Charlemagne, dumpy little five-footer!"

9/24/2010 #41
Just a Wili

Alexander the Great, whose empire stretched from India to Hungary, one inch shorter than me. Oliver Cromwell, the only man with any guts in British history, not a big man at all. ... Charlemagne, dumpy little five-footer!"

Yes, yes!

My favorite scene is the one with Robin Hood, though. "Jolly Good!"

9/24/2010 #42
Morthoron

Maid Marian!

One of my favorite parts was: "Pansie...the problem! I need fruit!"

9/24/2010 . Edited 9/24/2010 #43
Just a Wili

One of my favorite parts was: "Pansie...the problem! I need fruit!"HAHAHAHA! And when they're on the Titanic and the wig falls????

Another question for you: Is your avatar from Bergman's The Seventh Seal?

9/24/2010 #44
Morthoron

Another question for you: Is your avatar from Bergman's The Seventh Seal?

No. Actually, my avatar is rather deceiving. If you look very closely, it is not a grim reaper at all. It's a backlit, robed guy with a scythe harvesting wheat. So, the avatar is like me: I seem ominous, but really I'm just a pleasant plowman spreading seeds of joy throughout the internet.

Okay, even I can't keep a straight face.

Anyway, I've had the avatar for 5-6 years now, and I haven't the slightest idea where I got it from originally. But definitely not from Ingmar.

9/24/2010 . Edited 9/24/2010 #45
Just a Wili

No. Actually, my avatar is rather deceiving. He looks like Emperor Palpatine, too! *just kidding*

9/24/2010 #46
Morthoron

He looks like Emperor Palpatine, too! *just kidding*

I should hope so. I really am not a Star Wars fan. Most overrated series of movies in the history of the known universe.

9/24/2010 #47
Just a Wili

I should hope so. I really am not a Star Wars fan. Most overrated series of movies in the history of the known universe.I love the first trilogy. I was just a kid when the first movie was released and I remember that I had a Star Wars puzzle and other related toys... But I didn't like the new trilogy at all!

A funny thing that happened when my sister and I went to the theatre to watch The Empire Strikes Back: when Darth Vader says "I am your father," a young guy who was sitting nearby stood and screamed "Holly shit!" (or the equivalent of that in Portuguese).

9/24/2010 #48
Just a Wili

Where does Prokofieff's Cinderella fit in here? Assuming it's even a ballet?And... I just found a lovely video of Sylvie Guillem (and her amazing feet) as Cinderella on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww68J0Pi_-o

9/27/2010 #49

Ah -- thank you! That was lovely.

Pardon my reminiscing, but when I was no older than four, my grandfather sent me a series of records that consisted of children's tales, set to the classical music that had been written for them and told by a narrator. They weren't all ballets, but several of them were. Off the top of my head, I can recall Prokofieff's Cinderella, Tchaikovski's Sleeping Beauty, Mendelsohn's Midsummer Night's Dream, and the tale of Pinocchio set to Schumann's Kinderszenen.

9/27/2010 #50
Just a Wili

Pardon my reminiscing, but when I was no older than four, my grandfather sent me a series of records that consisted of children's tales, set to the classical music that had been written for them and told by a narrator.

And that was a real gift, if I may say so! I remember my father's collection of old classics (those old long plays) and how my sister and I, along with two cousins, would dance to some of them in our living room, improvising recitals. Nowadays, children just want to play videogames and spend their time on the Internet—some harassing others over fanfiction. They're losing a lot, IMHO. *feels old*

Now, did you see Sylvie's feet? Aren't they the most amazing things in this world? Sylvie isn't human, with those extensions and arches. And she is also good in modern pieces. I found a footage of her dancing Ravel's Boléro, which was originally created by Béjart for a male dancer, the late Jorge Donn. The piece is beautiful, but really, really exhausting. But there she is, even using her hair to give a new dynamics to the circle she's commanding. *sighs*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMnDSErHgQs

9/27/2010 . Edited 9/27/2010 #51
Just a Wili

And this one... Short but so funny!

Mr. Bean dancing Mr. Bombastic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J5xs2ukksE

10/6/2010 #52
hixto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMnDSErHgQs

She's got some impressive moves. That was a joy to watch.

I saw a movie called Suspiria the other night, Italian made horror movie set in a ballet school. Anyone ever see that? It's weird.

10/18/2010 #53
Just a Wili

She's got some impressive moves. That was a joy to watch.

Sylvie is in a league of her own. She's now "vintage", as someone in a ballet forum referred to her, and she's more into contemporary dance now.

I saw a movie called Suspiria the other night, Italian made horror movie set in a ballet school. Anyone ever see that? It's weird.

I didn't watch this one, but I'll definetely check it; it's rare to find movies focused on ballet. And God knows there are several interesting stories! Like the life of Emma Livry, a French ballerina at the Opéra whose tutu caught fire on a gaslight during a rehearseal.

Did you watch Billy Elliot?

10/19/2010 #54
hixto

Sylvie is in a league of her own. She's now "vintage", as someone in a ballet forum referred to her, and she's more into contemporary dance now.

How old is she?

I didn't watch this one, but I'll definetely check it; it's rare to find movies focused on ballet.

It's not really about ballet, it's set in a ballet school. I don't think any of the actors were actually dancers, but it's very weird. Lots of stylistic sets and it's very bloody. I had never seen it before, but I've never seen anything quite like it.

Did you watch Billy Elliot?

Oh, I love Billy Elliot! It's one of my favorite dance movies. I would like to see the stage musical but I haven't had the opportunity. What's your opinion of the dance in that one?

10/19/2010 #55
Just a Wili

How old is she?

She's 45. And she didn't give up the classical roles because she' isn't able to perfom them, but because she doesn't believe in the stultified language of ballet. :-)

It's not really about ballet, it's set in a ballet school. I don't think any of the actors were actually dancers, but it's very weird. Lots of stylistic sets and it's very bloody. I had never seen it before, but I've never seen anything quite like it.

Now I am curious!

What's your opinion of the dance in that one?

It was quite realistic, I think. You have the not-quite-prepared teacher, the little girls taking class just for fun (the tendus at the barre with loose feet...arg!). And Jamie Bell had no training, so no great extensions or en dehors, for instance, to break the spell (en dehors means "outward", that is, the capacity of one turning their legs, from hips to feet, in an 180 degree angle).

I loved the moment he trains his pirouettes in front of a mirror and in the bathroom (I used to take showers doing frappés).

I also LOVED his tap dancing and the finale, when he's finally a swan!

10/19/2010 . Edited 10/19/2010 #56
Just a Wili

Sony has being using the "Clog Dance" of La fille mal gardée for TV ads. This ballet is very funny and the role of "Simone" is always played by a man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMn2TuvW_M8

10/22/2010 . Edited 10/22/2010 #57
hixto

It was quite realistic, I think. You have the not-quite-prepared teacher, the little girls taking class just for fun (the tendus at the barre with loose feet...arg!). And Jamie Bell had no training, so no great extensions or en dehors, for instance, to break the spell (en dehors means "outward", that is, the capacity of one turning their legs, from hips to feet, in an 180 degree angle).

I thought it was realistic but I don't know enough about dance to tell.

That's what I like about this forum, I'm always learning something new.

I loved the moment he trains his pirouettes in front of a mirror and in the bathroom (I used to take showers doing frappés).

Oh, me too. Those of us with no coordination can really relate to the falling down part. lol

I also LOVED his tap dancing and the finale, when he's finally a swan!

That was such an awesome ending. It always brings a tear to my eye. I really want to see that movie again now.

Sony has being using the "Clog Dance" of La fille mal gardée for TV ads. This ballet is very funny and the role of "Simone" is always played by a man.

It keeps buffering on my computer. I'll have to check it out later. It looks funny.

10/22/2010 . Edited 10/22/2010 #58

My god -- were those wooden point shoes?

10/22/2010 #59
hixto

My god -- were those wooden point shoes?

I think there's some modern technology in the design there.

That was a lot of fun once I was able to see it properly.

10/22/2010 #60
« Prev Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Thranduil Oropherion Redux militaryhistory
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member