Of Cabbages and Kings
Looking for intelligent life at Fanfiction Net? We feature something for everyone: casual chat, serious discussion, debate, fun and games, and that delicious wank. Are you ready to play with the big dogs? Come inside, come inside!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

Despite the silly title, there was some good stuff on TV and, even on radio, back in the day.

Warning -- don't get me started on Leave it to Beaver. I'm a shameless fan.

9/27/2010 #1
Hamfast Gamgee

I didn't know that Shameless made it to America! I must admit that I have only seen it occasionally.

9/27/2010 #2
Just a Wili

Here is a list of my favorite TV series (most are pretty old): Bewitched (I love Endora); Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (back in the glorious 70's my sister wrote a Mary Sue based on it; and I used to laugh every time Admiral Nelson appeared wearing those striped pajamas of his); Star Trek (TOS, of course); Space 1999 (I'm not sure if this one would survive reruns, though). I also like Seinfeld, Supernatural (duh! What can I say, those guys are hot!) and The Big Bang Theory.

I can't comment on American radio, but I read Stephen King's Christine. Creepy!

9/28/2010 #3
Hamfast Gamgee

I used to really like Star Trek:TNG. In fact, I think I even have a DVD of one of it's series. But that was partly because I was much younger and less critical then. If it came out now, I'm sure I would find more to criticize, but that's just the way it is. I did like Deep Space Nine after a fashion and did warm to Voyager, though I have never seen the final episode of Voyager.

9/28/2010 #4
Fear Die Rothaarige

Supernatural (duh! What can I say, those guys are hot!)

Sam is SOOOO HOT!

9/28/2010 #5
Third World

"Sam is SOOOO HOT!"

Yep, he is! Dean is not bad either, but Sam has that dark streak... *sighs*

9/28/2010 #6
Third World

"I did like Deep Space Nine after a fashion and did warm to Voyager, though I have never seen the final episode of Voyager."

What about Enterprise?

9/28/2010 #7
Fear Die Rothaarige

Yep, he is! Dean is not bad either, but Sam has that dark streak... *sighs*

Dean is okay, but Sam is like *Drools*

I don't think my boyfriend would like this chain of thought to much. XD

9/28/2010 #8
Epilachna

TV? Let's see. What have I loved in the last 30 years...pretty much the shows I've written fanfic for and a few I one day might.

The Golden Girls

The Cosby Show

Roseanne

Star Trek: TNG & DS9

Highlander

Buffy & Angel - And I'm having a girl's night Buffy marathon with some friends tomorrow.

Battlestar Galactica

Firefly & 4400 & Jeremiah

And because most shows I love (like the final 3 on my list) get canceled before their time and I hate commercials, I got rid of my cable 2 years ago. Now I only get TV DVDs from Netflix - usually once the series is over. I was going to try Lost next (No, I've never seen an episode of Lost.) and maybe True Blood since I have a dozen friends who are obsessed and want to talk to me about it.

Does anyone have suggestions for new shows to try for someone who likes smart and/or raunchy comedy and scifi?

I heard Supernatural might be a keeper.

10/1/2010 . Edited 10/1/2010 #9
Hamfast Gamgee

I'm not sure about Lost. It seemed ok at first, but I think it's now going on a bit!

10/2/2010 #10
Just a Wili

The Golden Girls

I love the Golden Girls, too. My favorite character was Sophia.

Highlander

The first slash story I ever read was based on Highlander. It was a crossover, signed by Maygra, with the Vampire Chronicles (Anne Rice hadn't gone mad yet at the time; back then VC fics were called "specs"). I didn't know the TV series, only the movie with Sean Connery, and decided to check it out.

10/2/2010 #11
Nimbus Llewelyn

Na-nang,na nang, na nang...oeooooooooooooo, dooooooooooooodedooooooooooooooooo

Doctor who is my perennial favourite. Jellybaby anyone?

Also love Torchwood. Not because of Jack/Ianot (though it was very entertaining, e.g. Jack: "Since Owen died all you've ever done is agree with him!" Ianto: "I was brought up never to speak ill of the dead. Even if they still do most of the talking for themselves."

10/5/2010 #12
Morthoron

I liked watching The Twilight Zone, The Night Gallery and Orson Welles' Great Mysteries. The Night Gallery 'Earwig' episode was the best! In it, a man suffers excruciating pain because an earwig has got in his ear and tunneled into his brain. Luckily, a doctor is found in time to remove the earwig. The final scene has the doctor telling the patient the good news...

Only there is a problem: the earwig has laid eggs in the man's brain! The patient screams as the scene fades. Mwa-ha-ha-ha!

10/5/2010 #13
Just a Wili

The Night Gallery 'Earwig' episode was the best!

Eeewwww! It sounds like Stephen King's I Am the Doorway.

10/5/2010 . Edited 10/5/2010 #14
Hamfast Gamgee

Fortunately we have special Earwig in the brain pills to cure the problem! I've written some Dr. Who fanfic!

10/5/2010 #15

Only there is a problem: the earwig has laid eggs in the man's brain! The patient screams as the scene fades. Mwa-ha-ha-ha!

I remember that one. Let me add Boris Karloff's Thriller to the list of horror shows. The dramatisation of Robert E. Howard's The Pigeons From Hell had to be the most terrifying thing ever shown on television. Two college students taking a car tour of the south on spring break find themselves with no place to stay one night but an old abandoned mansion deep in the bayou. It is covered with pigeons, roosting on the facade. They camp out in the downstairs drawing room, whereupon, one of them rises in his sleep and we see him going up the grand staircase in a trance. He comes back down, seemingly in the same trance and attempts to put and axe through the skull of his companion, who manages to roll out of the way just in time and flee the place. When he returns with the sheriff (who can't believe anyone would stay out at the old Blassenville place) they find the first college student dead on the floor -- his own skull cloven with the axe, which is lying nearby. College student number two (played by Brandon DeWilde) is in big trouble, as he is suspecting of murdering his friend.

He protests that there are only one set of footsteps going up the stairs and coming back down -- trailing blood. He and the sheriff go upstairs to find the trail of footprints in the durst leading to a splash of blood and brains in the hallway -- and another set of bare footprints (with claws, no less) coming out from a bedroom door and returning. When they investigate the bedroom (they have more guts than I would have) their flashlight die, only to come back on when they retreat. There is something very nasty living in the old Blassenville place.

When the mystery is solved (I won't give it away) it is utterly creepy. Thanks to this show, which must have aired somewhere around 1960, my knees turn to water if I'm out alone at night and my flashlight dies on me. They just don't make TV like this anymore.

10/5/2010 #16
Morthoron

Randy, do you remember Orson Welles' Great Mysteries from the 70's? Great show, lot's of Edgar Allanish twists. The intro theme ran like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrGY1VKZwDk

10/5/2010 #17

Randy, do you remember Orson Welles' Great Mysteries from the 70's? Great show, lot's of Edgar Allanish twists. The intro theme ran like this:

I don't recall that program at all, which surprises me. I remember Night Gallery from that era very well. And the Kolchak Papers. Does anyone remember Kolchak? Kolchak started out with a movie -- which was believable. Vampires in Las Vegas. He was an investigative reporter, and no one would believe him. That moview was so well-received there was a sequel -- a Jack the Ripper type in Seattle. Again, no one believed poor Kolchak.

But then it became a series, and each week he'd uncover some new monster. This time is was Chicago, and he was working for the same editor. Now, you'd think that after about the fourth or fifth time they really did find an alligator in the sewer or a real haunted house, that editor would start believing old Kolchak, but noo . . .

10/5/2010 #18
Morthoron

Yeah, I remember the Night Stalker. Pretty cool movies, but the show -- not so much. I remember the TV movie version of 'Salem's Lot was great (even if David Soul was in it), but I couldn't stand...ummm...The Stand. The book was just as stupid and longwinded. And I really enjoyed 'It' because I hadn't read the book (thank god for that!). Tim Curry was fantastic as the monster (really scary)...that is, until the incredibly stupid ending with the giant spider! WTF? I believe that Stephen King cornered the market on incredibly stupid endings.

10/5/2010 #19

I read It and that was how the book ended too. A big whopping space-spider. However, King almost made it scary through the force of his prose. The Derry standpipe breaking loose and rolling down the hill was pretty spectacular, though.

I liked The Stand. As with anything King writes, it isn't so much the story as the journey of reading it. That's why his stories rarely film well.

10/5/2010 #20
Olorime

My favorite TV show of old is I Love Lucy.

Ay Dios Mio!!!

And my favorite novela of old is Xica Da Silva. I bet Just a Wii knows what I am talking about.

10/5/2010 #21
Just a Wili

And my favorite novela of old is Xica Da Silva. I bet Just a Wii knows what I am talking about.

I do. My fav soap opera is still Roque Santeiro, though.

10/5/2010 #22
Olorime

Oh, gosh I had forgotten about that one.

Belay my last. Roque Santeiro is the one. I still remember the song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFuDiasVX4w&p=FC91DCB7DA92D992&playnext=1&index=6

10/5/2010 . Edited 10/5/2010 #23
Just a Wili

Oh, gosh I had forgotten about that one. Belay my last.

Where are you from? Do you understand Portuguese? Because I can understand Spanish (not everything, but enough to follow dialogues, etc.)

10/5/2010 #24
Olorime

I am from Ecuador. While I find it hard to understand spoken Portuguese (unless spoken slowly), I can understand it written pretty well. In Ecuador, we get all the novelas dubbed, but sometimes we get them with subtitles. I have an easier time with spoken Italian but written Italian is more difficult for me than written Portuguese. LOL!

I bet you find French a lot easier to understand that all the other romance languages. (I think Portuguese resembles French the most of all the big romance languages).

10/5/2010 . Edited 10/5/2010 #25
Just a Wili

While I find it hard to understand spoken Portuguese (unless spoken slowly), I can understand it written pretty well. In Ecuador, we get all the novelas dubbed, but sometimes we get them with subtitles. I have an easier time with spoken Italian but written Italian is more difficult for me than written Portuguese. LOL!

I bet you find French a lot easier to understand that all the other romance languages. (I think Portuguese resembles French the most of all the big romance languages).

Globo is everywhere!

Brazilian Portuguese has a lot of Indian and African words, so I guess it's hard to understand everything if we take in consideration only the Latin base. I understand spoken Italian better than written Italian--enough to follow a movie or a TV show. Same with Spanish; when I watched Pan's Labyrinth, for instance, I managed to follow what the actors said. I do understand a little of spoken French, but I read French much better. What it is funny is that I sometimes have a certain difficulty to understand European Portuguese.

And your English is pretty good! Mine is a battle uphill.

10/5/2010 . Edited 10/5/2010 #26
Olorime

What it is funny is that I sometimes have a certain difficulty to understand European Portuguese.

I find European Portuguese easier to understand all around. Closer to Spanish, I guess.

And your English is pretty good! Mine is a battle uphill.

I've been living in the USA for over ten years. I have the big advantage of interacting in English all day long, every day. Hell, I even think in English. I wish I could speak Portuguese, such a pretty, sing song language. I can greet people and say some things but my friends make fun of my accent. They say I sound like someone from deep in the countryside. :P

10/5/2010 #27
Just a Wili

I find European Portuguese easier to understand all around.

Really? Sometimes I do have to concentrate to understand it. Here at ff.net we have fics in both Brazilian and European Portuguese, and, as far as I know, the betas are not interchangeable.

I've been living in the USA for over ten years. I have the big advantage of interacting in English all day long, every day. Hell, I even think in English.

Ah, yes, that helps a lot. I don't have the opportunity to speak English at all; I read in English a lot and I began writing fics in English to see if I could express myself in it. But it doesn't come naturally to me. I had a dream in English once, though! :-)

I wish I could speak Portuguese, such a pretty, sing song language. I can greet people and say some things but my friends make fun of my accent. They say I sound like someone from deep in the countryside. :P

Anything you wish to ask or need translated, lyrics, whatever, just PM me and I will help!

Now I must go because it's getting prettly late here! Bye!

10/5/2010 #28
Clodia

So, last Monday's Spooks.

OHGODMALCOLM that was SO CLOSE I really thought he was for it at least twice! DON'T DIE, MALCOLM!! And that poor American computer genius, I really liked her, was really very sorry when she went. Also, Lukas is being such a complete idiot, I really don't know whether to hope he survives this or not. Do they not give their agents lessons on how to deal with blackmail and blackmailers? i.e. COME TELL HARRY AT ONCE, MY CHILD, ALL SHALL BE FORGIVEN but for God's sake don't let yourself be blackmailed and give away confidential files etc! If I was Harry, I'd have made sure some sort of training was in place for this sort of thing years ago. It happens so often.

*cough*

Sorry. Just caught up, by myself because I missed it on Monday, and had to get that out.

10/29/2010 #29

Last night's premiere of The Walking Dead on AMC nitpicks:

They got the horse vocalizations wrong. I don't suppose one person in a thousand would have noticed this (and certainly the sound guys didn't, because they were responsible) but that sort of thing rips me right out of the story. Horses do not whinny and squeal when a person approaches them. They do that soft whicker thing which is the equine version of, "Hello, individual walking up to me." A whinny is more like, "Hey -- I'm over here and I need help!" which I might have expected to hear when the cop got out of his car, considering that horse had been alone in its paddock for a while. A squeal is an angrychallenge that means,"Get the f**k away from me," and it's usually accompanied with an attempt to kick or strike.

With empty, easily fortified houses just there for the taking, a small enclave of survivors is shown living in tents. Tents? *headdesk*

A father leaves his son downstairs, near unboarded windows, while he attracts zombies to the house by shooting from an upper window. Not a good idea.

As for the rest -- I'll definitely be watching.

11/1/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Thranduil Oropherion Redux militaryhistory
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member