Of Cabbages and Kings
Looking for intelligent life at Fanfiction Net? We feature something for everyone: casual chat, serious discussion, debate, fun and games, and that delicious wank. Are you ready to play with the big dogs? Come inside, come inside!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

Vent your feelings about Fanfiction Net's latest asshattery. Eulogize your favorite lost threads and forums.

11/27/2010 #1
Clodia

I'm going to cry over the conversations lost with those time-threads. I have a dismal feeling that the beginnings of the Sue Story have been lost, not to mention several of Gogol's spontaneous snippets and possibly the conversation that spawned IIHATSTIWS. Not happy at all.

;______________;

11/27/2010 #2

Check with Iggy about the beginnings of the Sue story. I think he might have found it in #3.

But you see, even Chat has its worth and should be respected. I honestly don't see how it's fair that the big forums get to keep upwards of 200,000 posts but I lose 15,000 of mine in the 'clean-up'.

I'm still calculating, but I think Syrus Magistus lost almost 25,000 -- and much of it was conversations I would have liked to re-visit.

11/27/2010 #3
Virtuella

Well, I don't mind terribly that they're deleting old PMs, but they should have

a) given a fair warning that they were going to do this and

b) given an option to archive those PMs one wanted to keep.

Same goes for forum threads.

11/27/2010 #4

a) given a fair warning that they were going to do this and

b) given an option to archive those PMs one wanted to keep.

Same goes for forum threads.

I agree. But that would have involved extra effort on their part. And to quote Kelvin: ". . . don't misplace your emotions. FFN isn't known for caring about them."

I would really have appreciated the opportunity to 'freshen' some of my older, shorter threads. They weren't taking up that much space and I had them there for a reason, dammit.

11/27/2010 #5
Clodia

I think he might have found it in #3.

There is some there, but it jumps right into the middle of the game, so I think it must have started in #2. *sob*

On the plus side, this means that my version is irrefutable and therefore canon beyond question. Ahaha, when I get back to writing it.

11/27/2010 #6
White Eyebrow

Continuing this from the announcements thread to stay OT.

What creates more 'junk' -- sheer post count, or the number of threads?

Can't say without knowing their system. But even the mere creation of a thread--even creating a blank post--begets a row in a database and, depending on its datatype, is automatically reserved a chunk of space. So it very well could be that a 1000 word post takes up just as must space as a one letter post.

You are right in that, they should've focused first on deleting all those inactive forums and accounts--that don't even have stories--before cutting into the "muscle."

11/27/2010 . Edited 11/27/2010 #7
Virtuella

You have to wonder what next. Deleting stories that haven't been reviewed for more than nine months?

11/27/2010 #8

You have to wonder what next. Deleting stories that haven't been reviewed for more than nine months?

LassaLanta told me to bite my tongue for speculating about that.

11/27/2010 #9

Can't say without knowing their system. But even the mere creation of a thread--even creating a blank post--begets a row in a database and, depending on its datatype, is automatically reserved a chunk of space. So it very well could be that a 1000 word post takes up just as must space as a one letter post.

Could well be. I'm a reasonable person. I'm willing to be a good citizen of FFN as regards to the system and the bandwidth. I will happily do without one liner spam threads or even accept a forum size limit -- just as long as all of are treated equitably. But as long as they have the forums in the first place, they should expect volume.

11/27/2010 #10
Aislynn Crowdaughter

The deletion of "inactive" accounts would be a change of policy, and it may also have one small problem - how to define what an inactive account is? And account with no stories may still have lots of favorite stories marked, lots of reviews done to it, etc.

But I agree that it would probably be easy to delete forums without topics? Or to declare a maximal storing time for pm's friom now on and automatically delete them after that time is up; or maybe a maximal number of pm's that will be kept in the inbox. they already did that with reviews; I can remember a time when a lot more than the current last 100 reviews were stored, and they reduced that amount, too. I know that in the time I have been on FFN I did far more than hundred reviews, but now when I do one more, an older one vanishes automatically. *shrug*

11/27/2010 #11
Aislynn Crowdaughter

LassaLanta told me to bite my tongue for speculating about that.

It would also be very counter-productive. Especially if the purpose of the site is getting lots of people to use it so one can sell advertising here.

11/27/2010 #12
militaryhistory

An idea I had (that I have not mentioned to FF admins) would be to delete all non-complete stories that have not had an update in the past three years. However, knowing FF, they'd do that to all stories. Which would result in site crashes galore as people desperately tried to archive.

11/27/2010 #13
Aislynn Crowdaughter

Mihilist! Now *I* am telling you to bite your tongue!!!!

11/27/2010 #14
Virtuella

how to define what an inactive account is? And account with no stories may still have lots of favorite stories marked, lots of reviews done to it, etc.

Wouldn't they be able to tell when an account has last been logged into? Also, wouldn't it be possible to send an automated message that says, if you want to keep your account, please press this here fancy button?

11/27/2010 #15
militaryhistory

Also, wouldn't it be possible to send an automated message that says, if you want to keep your account, please press this here fancy button?

Consider how they handled this stuff. They wouldn't do it.

to Aislynn: What would be the problem with the first plan? We'd get rid of a lot of fics that should never have seen the light of day, although there would be some measure of collateral damage. Give two weeks' warning, and everything that's worth saving will've been archived.

11/27/2010 #16

An idea I had (that I have not mentioned to FF admins) would be to delete all non-complete stories that have not had an update in the past three years.

There is one huge problem with that, Milhist -- what about those people who posted a complete story but overlooked changing the status to complete? Even I have done that once or twice.

11/27/2010 #17
militaryhistory

There is one huge problem with that, Milhist -- what about those people who posted a complete story but overlooked changing the status to complete? Even I have done that once or twice.

That's why I added in two weeks warning time.

11/27/2010 #18

Also, wouldn't it be possible to send an automated message that says, if you want to keep your account, please press this here fancy button?

Consider how they handled this stuff. They wouldn't do it.

Yeah. That would involve, like . .. actual customer service. Lately, they seem to just want us to go away and leave them alone.

11/27/2010 #19
militaryhistory

Yeah. That would involve, like . .. actual customer service. Lately, they seem to just want us to go away and leave them alone.

This is a free website. We get what we pay for. But I definitely get your point.

11/27/2010 #20

That's always the argument -- it's a free website so we should all be grateful for the crappy treatment we get. I will counter with the fact that this site takes advertising and hits mean ad revenue. Who produces the content that makes people come here?

11/27/2010 #21
militaryhistory

We do. Problem is, folk over at Admintown see that they've the only major fanfic site on the 'net.

Anyone a Web programmer?

11/27/2010 #22

Problem is, folk over at Admintown see that they've the only major fanfic site on the 'net.

If they continue to alienate their members like this, they won't be for long. This most recent step seems outright punitive. We complained too much about the LU and RedBootton -- now look what happened. They showed us!

What would have been so wrong with an announcement of the need to conserve bandwidth and some reasonable policies to curtail the clutter?

11/27/2010 #23
militaryhistory

This most recent step seems outright punitive. We complained too much about the LU and RedBootton -- now look what happened. They showed us!

This wasn't directed at us, Randy. As I recall the LU took some hits. We ended up in the shot cone from the canister round.

What would have been so wrong with an announcement of the need to conserve bandwidth and some reasonable policies to curtail the clutter?

Nothing.

11/27/2010 #24
White Eyebrow

It would probably help to have two different back-ends: one for stories and one for forums. They would just have to make sure to keep the accounts linked for convenience sake. Deleting accounts with stories would be counter-productive because that is their "product." I would just bite the bullet and keep those forever regardless of status, relying on the community to weed out the trolls. Moreover, I would give users the option to create aliases and the ability to organize favorites and such. This would cut down on the need for socks. Accounts with one complete story would be marked as permanent. Accounts without would have to be refreshed with a periodic login. Unfortunately, the obvious workaround would be to create a BS one-shot, but at least it's a layer.

11/27/2010 #25
militaryhistory

Can you delete your own account?

11/27/2010 #26
White Eyebrow

We ended up in the shot cone from the canister round.

Yep, and that was wrong. The fact that this place is free also means that their customer base is free to move somewhere else. They should've used a scalpel not a sledgehammer. I wonder if Xing is active enough in the day to day to where he had any input into this at all. This was a bad move.

11/27/2010 #27
White Eyebrow

Can you delete your own account?

I don't know? I think you can at least request it via email?

11/27/2010 #28

This wasn't directed at us, Randy. As I recall the LU took some hits. We ended up in the shot cone from the canister round.

I meant 'we'in the general sense of everyone who complained about the LU and their tactics. The forums that were too big for their britches remain too big for their britches, and they actually came out of it better than the rest of us. In terms of forum ranking, this forum moved from #20 to #15, but that isn't what is important to me.

11/27/2010 #29
militaryhistory

The fact that this place is free also means that their customer base is free to move somewhere else.

Where can we go?

Seems a little odd that you can't delete your own account.

Also, does anyone know how may times a story has to be reported before it goes down?

11/27/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Thranduil Oropherion Redux militaryhistory
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member