Of Cabbages and Kings
Looking for intelligent life at Fanfiction Net? We feature something for everyone: casual chat, serious discussion, debate, fun and games, and that delicious wank. Are you ready to play with the big dogs? Come inside, come inside!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 .. Last Next »
Olorime

Is Danish very close to German?

I find the Danish way of speaking very close to the Scottish accent. I also think is very similar to English, but since I am not a German speaker I can't say if it's similar to German or not.

1/8/2011 #121
militaryhistory

Not sure...I don't think so, though. Different language clans.

1/8/2011 #122
A.A. Pessimal

The Dread Rear Admiral - I would guess this has something in common with the Royal Navy concept of the Golden Rivet?

(The four original Goon Show presenters were all ex-servicemen, who got around tight BBC censorship in the 1950's by blatantly using either the punchlines or the build-up to foullly dirty jokes. Never both together: but just enough of the filthy joke escaped so that people who knew the whole routine could share the laugh. Any old sailor in the audience would know instantly what was meant when the evil Moriaty told Harry Seagoon to "bend over for the Golden Rivet". It just went all over everybody else's heads, including BBC executives...)

1/8/2011 . Edited 1/11/2011 #123
Virtuella

No, not particulalry.

1/8/2011 #124
Morthoron

No, not particulalry.

Then Dane is not germane?

1/8/2011 #125
Virtuella

Danish is probably closer to German than Spanish or French, but one would still need to learn it like a forgeign languge to get anywhere. Unlike written Dutch, which a German person can read and understand fairly well. Spoken Dutch is another matter. I would hazard a guess that the overlap between German and Danish isn't much bigger than the overlap between German and English.

1/8/2011 #126
militaryhistory

Probably less, given that English is descended from German, and Danish is not.

1/8/2011 #127
Just a Wili

Something that always confuses me in English is how one does weight and measure things. We use grams and kilos and centimeters, meters, kilometers...

Fortunately I have a tape measure that shows both inches and centimeters, otherwise I wouldn't be able to tell the size of the baubles I buy on Ebay.

1/10/2011 . Edited 1/10/2011 #128
militaryhistory

Was that a "please tell me about English weights and measures" or was that just a "your funny way of doing things drives me batty?"

1/10/2011 #129
Just a Wili

Was that a "please tell me about English weights and measures" or was that just a "your funny way of doing things drives me batty?"

LOL

The latter, Milhi. I have charts that teach the person how to convert weights and measures, but they do drive me crazy, because I can't do math to save my life!

When I'm watching a movie, for instance, and someone mentions ounces, or feet, or pounds... that's when I get lost.

1/10/2011 #130
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

That's how i feel when Brits tell their weight in 'stone'.

1/10/2011 #131
Just a Wili

That's how i feel when Brits tell their weight in 'stone'.

Yes, how can you measure something by "stones"? *feels dumb*

1/10/2011 #132

A 'stone'is equal to roughly nine pounds. Where that came from, I have no idea. Somebody, way back when, must have had a real pair of stones. LOL

1/10/2011 #133
Just a Wili

A 'stone'is equal to roughly nine pounds.

Err... I have no idea of pounds, and how many do you need to make one of them. Or nine! LOL

On another note (since I've been listening to old songs), yesterday I paid attention to the lyrics of Mandy and I could understand everything. Could hear the prepositions, the ending of the words... This is a breakthrough to me, because I generally can't follow spoken (or sung) English very well.

1/10/2011 #134

There are about 2.2 pounds in a kilo.

1/10/2011 #135
Just a Wili

There are about 2.2 pounds in a kilo.

Why oh why can't those measures be *exact* numbers?!

To add to the misery, I just paid attention to the lyrics of I Will Survive, and I can't understand everything. :(((((((

1/10/2011 #136
militaryhistory

English speakers aren't always sure about some lyrics.

1/10/2011 #137
Just a Wili

Ah, it's not about the meaning of the lyrics, but the meaning of the very sounds.

You see, my English isn't "organic", isn't natural: it seems I can understand only written English. The lyrics would make perfect sense if I had the lines written to read as Gloria Gaynor is singing; without that, several words don't make any sense.

1/10/2011 #138

Yes, back in the Dark Ages Louie Louie was infamous for garbling a certain line. "Every night at ten, I *unintelligible* her again; * unintelligible* that little girl . . ."

1/10/2011 #139
Just a Wili

What I mean is, sometimes I can't connect the sound to the word that I already know.

1/10/2011 #140
militaryhistory

Ah, it's not about the meaning of the lyrics, but the meaning of the very sounds.

That's what I meant as well.

1/10/2011 #141

What I mean is, sometimes I can't connect the sound to the word that I already know.

That would definitely happen to me with a song in any other language. I do know a few in French, but only because they were explained to me. And I picked out a few phrases from La Bamba when my brother-in-law got drunk and sang it at a cookout -- enough to know it's highly improper. But that's because he'd explained a few idioms to me.

A lot of popular songs are sung with an accent, which makes it harder.

1/10/2011 #142
Just a Wili

That would definitely happen to me with a song in any other language. I do know a few in French, but only because they were explained to me. And I picked out a few phrases from La Bamba when my brother-in-law got drunk and sang it at a cookout -- enough to know it's highly improper. But that's because he'd explained a few idioms to me.

I feel really frustrated with the part of listening; it's a barrier that has been particularly hard to breach. I've tried to watch movies with captions in English, but as soon as I try to pay attention only to the sound...

And I can't tell accents apart. I suppose I can say when the person is from England, or from the USA, but that's all...

1/10/2011 . Edited 1/10/2011 #143
militaryhistory

I'd be willing to bet you could tell the difference between a fellow from Sao Paulo and from Recife. Me? All I'd be able to figure out was that he spoke Portuguese.

1/10/2011 #144
Just a Wili

I'd be willing to bet you could tell the difference between a fellow from Sao Paulo and from Recife. Me? All I'd be able to figure out was that he spoke Portuguese.

The accent of São Paulo has a definitive Italian note to it, because of the massive Italian immigration. My grandparents came from Genoa. :)

1/10/2011 #145
militaryhistory

Okay, now that's the kind of thing that I don't have a clue about.

1/10/2011 #146
Olorime

And I can't tell accents apart. I suppose I can say when the person is from England, or from the USA, but that's all...

It took a long time for me to be able to figure out accents.

1/10/2011 #147
Morthoron

The accent of São Paulo has a definitive Italian note to it, because of the massive Italian immigration. My grandparents came from Genoa. :)

I have Italian relatives in Brazil. Or at least they are descended from Italians. But not from Genoa, but Venice. My grandfather emigrated from Italy, was a gaucho in Argentina, then a lumberjack in Canada, then a hitman for the mob in Detroit.

I'm kidding about the hitman part.

1/10/2011 . Edited 1/10/2011 #148
Virtuella

You see, my English isn't "organic", isn't natural: it seems I can understand only written English. The lyrics would make perfect sense if I had the lines written to read as Gloria Gaynor is singing; without that, several words don't make any sense.

I know exactly what you mean. When I first came to Scotland, I kept asking people, "How do you spell that?"

1/11/2011 #149
A.A. Pessimal

Yes, back in the Dark Ages Louie Louie was infamous for garbling a certain line. "Every night at ten, I *unintelligible* her again; * unintelligible* that little girl . . ."

"Inna Gabba La Vida" indeed....

for mis-heard song quotes in English, may I direct you to the ever-entertaining "Kiss This Guy" archive?

Jimi Hendrix famously sang "'Scuse me, while I kiss the sky".

Unfortunately too many people heard it as "'Scuse me, while I kiss this guy!"

1/11/2011 . Edited 1/11/2011 #150
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Thranduil Oropherion Redux militaryhistory
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member