Of Cabbages and Kings
Looking for intelligent life at Fanfiction Net? We feature something for everyone: casual chat, serious discussion, debate, fun and games, and that delicious wank. Are you ready to play with the big dogs? Come inside, come inside!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
SocksForDobby
I have not posted much here, so forgive me for coming out like a newbie without introducing myself. I generally stalk the wise discussions here. How long is the ideal chapter to read? I enjoy reading chapters only 3000-6000 in length, but it seems that I am one of the only ones. Many people have told me over the past several months that 3000 is considered a "short" chapter, whereas a length of 12,000 would be considered "long, but not too long". I have assumed that that is simply reader greed, as result of "what happens next?" but now that I am preparing to post a new story (in the "Harry Potter" section), I am pondering this more than before. Is there a certain length that is better than most? Would it be best to stay consistent in chapter lengths, or does it matter (all, say, 5000 words, rather than one being 5000, another being 8000, another being 6000)? Does the brain have a point of shutting on or off when it comes to short or long chapters? What is your preference in chapter length? Some might say I overthink things, but I do not believe it is possible to overthink anything. Even little things, like hand sanitizers. Did you know the lead ingredient in antibacterial soaps kills ones sex drive? Of course, that's another conversation...
2/10/2011 #1
SocksForDobby

I apologise - I meant to post this in the writing thread, but somehow slipped. Again, my apologies.

2/10/2011 #2
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

That's okay, but I'm going to lock this thread so that the discussion takes place all in one spot. :)

2/10/2011 #3
Forum Moderators: Thranduil Oropherion Redux militaryhistory
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member