Of Cabbages and Kings
Looking for intelligent life at Fanfiction Net? We feature something for everyone: casual chat, serious discussion, debate, fun and games, and that delicious wank. Are you ready to play with the big dogs? Come inside, come inside!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 14 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 34 .. Last Next »
Nimbus Llewelyn

Aww thats tough. Couldn't you try and buy straight from the supplier/a bookshop. If you had to buy in bulk, you could sell them to other beleauguered students, making a profit and undercutting the college :P. A veritable Robin Hood!

9/8/2011 #691
cherish15

My sister is in college needless to say she doesn't buy any books full priced unless they're cheap. Have you tried the used book stores in your area? Talked to people who use to take the class and asked them to sell it to you? (for a lower price of course since it's used)

9/8/2011 #692
Morthoron

My sister is in college needless to say she doesn't buy any books full priced unless they're cheap. Have you tried the used book stores in your area? Talked to people who use to take the class and asked them to sell it to you? (for a lower price of course since it's used).

That is often not possible. Often, a class requires the "New, Revised" edition, and the used ones from the previous semester do not qualify (and if you don't have the correct version, you don't get credit for the class). This scam has been going on since I was in university in the 80s.

9/8/2011 #693
Nimbus Llewelyn

New and revised=we added another zero to the price tag.

9/8/2011 #694
Virtuella

Bizarre.

9/8/2011 #695
Nimbus Llewelyn

Out for the night. Sleep well kiddies ;).

9/8/2011 #696
cherish15

Really Morth? I mean my sister is passing her classes.... does it depend on her major if they issue new versions every year?

9/8/2011 #697
Olorime

That is often not possible. Often, a class requires the "New, Revised" edition, and the used ones from the previous semester do not qualify (and if you don't have the correct version, you don't get credit for the class). This scam has been going on since I was in university in the 80s.

Tell me about it! My books are very expensive. If I buy them the bill runs up to 800 to 900 dollars. I rent most of my books or buy them used, but there are a few economics books I want to keep for further reference, and they are expensive.

9/8/2011 #698
White Eyebrow

Often, a class requires the "New, Revised" edition, and the used ones from the previous semester do not qualify (and if you don't have the correct version, you don't get credit for the class). This scam has been going on since I was in university in the 80s.

I ran into a similar incident more than once. In most cases I noticed that the only difference between the edition from the previous semester was that the problem sets at the end of the chapters were different.

My solution: buy a copy of the current version, photocopy the problems at then ends of the chapters covered in the course syllabus, return the book before the end of the add-drop period for a full refund, study from the older edition in the campus library.

Worked like a charm in those cases.

9/8/2011 #699
cherish15

I have a sort of personal rant but I just need to get it off my chest..... It really seems like me and my mom are not going to get along no matter what. I hate to say it but she's one of those people that I love because I have to I'd be typing all day if I went into all the crap she pulls so I'll just settle about what she's dong right now ^^

I don't know if I'm being selfish or mean or bratty but I really don't think it's my job to take care of everyone. I mean I'm the kid right? On a normal basis I cook, clean, and take care of my brother. Now if this was like a sometimes thing I would be okay...but it's like everyday. She literally does nothing but eat, sleep, complain, and cuss everyone out.... it's sort of irritating. And she has the nerve to tell me I'm lazy because I don't act gung ho about doing things that she as a wife and a mother is supposed to do. ?? I don't even know what her food taste like and she hasn't cleaned in ages. I get that she's depressed but I've seen many worse off mothers still get things done......she just treats everyone around her like servants/ punching bags....and with my personality that's a no no because I'm the type to yell back and I have. Everyone I've talked to tells me that will make it worse and I know it will but.... I'm really temperamental. I don't know who gets it worse us (the kids) or my dad...she talks to him like he's nothing yesterday she seriously sat up and told him I'd beat your ass if I could............ and that's one of the lighter things she's said.... I don't know why he hasn't divorced her yet *shrugs* she does that on a daily bases. ..Anyways that long paragraph is only some of the things she's done in the past 2 days ^^ needless to say college can't come fast enough.

9/12/2011 #700
Virtuella

That is really rough. (((Hugs)))

How old are you? I have a feeling social work might be interested in this case.

9/12/2011 #701
cherish15
I'm 15. I don't know why but I've never been one to seek outside help smh. What bothers me most about her is that she really doesn't know what shes doing. She literally ask me "I'm a good mother right?" and she she says you guys have great parents and you guys are so loved.... And that's usually after one of her fits..... It's like she breaks us down and then try's to hurry up and fix it ... But does the same thing two seconds later... That may have worked when I was a kid but now.... Im very unforgiving. And my dad has the biggest temper ever but can't direct that at the person who's actually doing all the bull but instead at us (children) my sister (21) tells me that college will help so I can be away from them but with how I feel now ... Its not gonna be good ... Because ive become very mean.....
9/13/2011 #702
Nimbus Llewelyn

Sounds like your mum has serious psychological issues (insecurity being one of them). You could at least ask for an evaluation or nsomething via Social Services.

9/13/2011 #703
Reader's Corner

I wish we had some answer to currption power in our country. There is a Sanskrit saying that goes something like - the subjects act like the king does..

First we had an Italian Sonia Gandhi pulling the strings of a puppet PM Manmohan. the only reason she didn't took the oath herself was that Italy doesn't allow anyone born outside Italy to become a member of even a local municipal community. According to Indian law if somebody takes the citizenship here the same law is applied to that person which the native country of that person extends to Indian if they accept citizenship of that country. Sonia still keeps her Italian passport - nobody challanges that.

Her son keeps two passprts with two different names- nobody dares to challange that. Rahul Gandhi gets arrested at USA airport carrying a large amount of cash in $. Govt. get him out of trouble. His GF is daughter of some Columbian drug mafia according to rumours here.. Can't confirm because media is either too afraid or already in pocket of Congress.

Now we get this clipping..

..http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000418210376#!/photo.php?v=1714109831035

I wish they will at lest stop using the name Gandhi. it's only fair since they have no relation to this name. Father of Rajiv Gandhi was born Firoz Furdun. He adopted the name Gandhi just because he saw the opportunities this name would provide.

9/13/2011 #704
cherish15
Omg yes she has insecurities all over the place smh we all need a psych evaluation after living with her.... Im 99% sure I'm going to out of state college but for some reason going to a social worker has always seemed ... Like over kill unless we were getting beat probably because im use to the craziness ..... Either way you guys will probably hear more rants from me in the future
9/13/2011 #705
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

I wish they will at lest stop using the name Gandhi. it's only fair since they have no relation to this name. Father of Rajiv Gandhi was born Firoz Furdun. He adopted the name Gandhi just because he saw the opportunities this name would provide.

I always wondered about the name 'Gandhi' and if they were some relation. As for the rest, I wish we could get corruption out of every country's government. It's the 'Golden Rule' -- those who have the gold get to set the rules. Gah!

9/13/2011 #706

I have a feeling social work might be interested in this case.

No. Social work in the US is overburdened with children who live with parents who abuse them physically and sexually, who neglect them to the point of starvation. There is little to no help for people with mental/emotional disorders, even those who have health insurance.

Cherish, it sounds like your mother has some issues. She may be severely depressed or have some other emotional illness going on. I don't have any words of wisdom for you. At fifteen, you should be concentrating on preparing yourself for life rather than taking care of family. I feel for you. As a teen, I had a mother who was pretty much uninterested in the domestic side of things in favor of a job, and I ended up taking up much of the slack. All I can say is, it sucks but it makes you stronger. And maybe less likely to do it to your own kids.

You also need to know that the teen years are a natural time for conflict between children and parents -- even the best parents in the world. It's nature's way of spurring you to get out on your own. Which is why college looks so attractive right now.

9/13/2011 #707
Reader's Corner

I always wondered about the name 'Gandhi' and if they were some relation. As for the rest, I wish we could get corruption out of every country's government. It's the 'Golden Rule' -- those who have the gold get to set the rules. Gah!

When Firoz informed Gandhi that he planned to adopt his name in place of his own father's he replied " I have heard of people adopting children but, never that a child adopts a father." and everybody just laughed it off. ~_~

if Only Gandhi realised what it could lead to and stopped him from using his name firmly..

Curruption has just gotten to the level where the politicians have turned totally shameless. The journlists for the most part don't even comment on so called Gandhis.. what news comes about them we gather from here and there from random sources.. and Sonia Gandhi is such a big problem but nobody dares to raise their voice.. those who do end up dead under mysterious/tragic circumstance. Somehow all the politicians who ever challanged her in anyway are dead. off course accidents happen..

9/13/2011 . Edited 9/13/2011 #708
Nimbus Llewelyn

Foreign journalists?

9/13/2011 #709

A rant all of my own: Certain family members who are masters of passive aggression and subtle guilting. We just got a photo of my late sister-in-law in the mail, along with a note 'suggesting' that my father-in-law would like a birthday card since we're *implied* too cheap to call him on his 90th birthday. It, of course, arrived a week too late. Just in case anyone is wondering, I did pass on the current phone number to Buns, and from there on it was not my call to make. I am not the family's social secretary. For the record, I don't believe in birthday cards or cards for any occasion. If you can't muster the enthusiasm to write a fucking letter with actual sentiment, two bucks worth of Hallmark is not going to make up for it.

Dear sister-in-law, life has not treated us as fortunately as you. The reason we are not able to drop everything and fly down to Florida to motor around the Gulf on a rented sailboat and say "so sad, too bad" about our late sibling (whose body had not yet been released by the coroner last I heard) or have cell phones or more expensive calling programs on our land line is because we're trying to be financially responsible and to be the only members of the family NOT to hold out a hand for charity from my rich brother-in-law. We're also the only ones to be right where we started out. You guys were the ones who left for cushier lives and less stressful climates, so do not guilt us for not coming to you.

There. That felt better. Yet another nail in the coffin of why I decided not to torture myself with this charming family dysfunction.

9/13/2011 #710
Nimbus Llewelyn

*Hugs Randy* Family like that aren't worth giving the time of day. My aunt is a bit like that about Mum, her younger sister. (Mum is wildly successful career woman. Aunt nurse at hospital in mid 50's. Draw your own conclusions.)

9/13/2011 #711
Virtuella

Hm, are you meaning to imply, Nimbus, that people who don't have grand careers but plod away in mediocre jobs for the common good are likely to be mean-spirited?

Randy, you're quite right to wash your hands of them.

9/13/2011 #712

Hm, are you meaning to imply, Nimbus, that people who don't have grand careers but plod away in mediocre jobs for the common good are likely to be mean-spirited?

In that case, I'd be the mean-spirited one. I basically put Buns through college working at one of the most mediocre jobs a person could have. My sister-in-law got help with her education from her dad (I never understood why the difference in treatment) and then had the luck to marry well. But having money doesn't make a person more 'worthy' or more competent or anything.

As for my FIL, he's a sweet old man now, but I worked for him and with him for five years, and you learn a lot about a person under those circumstances. I suppose it's not his fault -- his own father was an even worse bastard -- but it's no wonder the family is a mess.

9/13/2011 #713
Georgasaurus

Stupid question but is 'Buns' a common term in America?

9/13/2011 #714

Yes, and it means many things. Commonly a term of endearment, as in 'Honey-buns'.

9/13/2011 #715
Georgasaurus

Oh, OK. I was beginning to wonder if it was your wife's name. 0D

9/13/2011 #716

No, but it is the actual term of endearment I used back in our long-vanished youth.

I know it might have looked like I was taking a cheap shot at FR, but no -- Scout's honor, honest injun, swear to God, that was it.

9/13/2011 #717
Georgasaurus

Awww, that's sweet. :)

And I will confess that I did wonder why you and FR both used the term 'Buns', hence asking if it was common in America. ^_^

9/13/2011 #718
Virtuella

It's no sillier than "Hasi", anglicised spelling "Hazee."

9/13/2011 #719
Nimbus Llewelyn

Nimbus, that people who don't have grand careers but plod away in mediocre jobs for the common good are likely to be mean-spirited?

Nope, just, it seems in this case. Mum was the younger sibling, and disagreed with her father (my grandfather) more often, and indeed still does. That and my aunt has alcohol problems and gets bitchy down the phone at mum.

9/13/2011 #720
« Prev Page 1 .. 14 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 34 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Thranduil Oropherion Redux militaryhistory
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member