Of Cabbages and Kings
Looking for intelligent life at Fanfiction Net? We feature something for everyone: casual chat, serious discussion, debate, fun and games, and that delicious wank. Are you ready to play with the big dogs? Come inside, come inside!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

As Nimbus requested -- point to your best work, fiction, art, etc.

11/8/2011 #1
Virtuella
I think you'll have to go first, Randy. The rest of us are too modest indeed.
11/8/2011 #2

No, it was Nimbus's idea. He has to go first.

11/8/2011 #3
Morthoron

I think you'll have to go first, Randy. The rest of us are too modest indeed.

I was even too modest to make the suggestion to Randy. I applaud your fortitudinous (albeit demure and discreet) gesture, Virtuella. ;P

11/8/2011 #4

Grrrr, you guys. In that case, among my best artwork, here is a watercolor sketch entitled Entwife:

11/8/2011 #5
Hamfast Gamgee

I think I might have had a hand in this too. And probably my best received work is this one

Tanks a lot! Chapter 1: Strange matters afoot, a blackadder fanfic - FanFiction.Net

11/8/2011 #6
hixto

I love that picture! At first glance it just looks like a tree and then all the little details start to come into focus. I also like the colors and the boldness of the figure.

11/8/2011 #7

I love that picture! At first glance it just looks like a tree and then all the little details start to come into focus. I also like the colors and the boldness of the figure.

Heh-heh-heh -- the tree has boobies.

Come on, people (that means you, Nimbus) start touting your best work.

11/9/2011 #8
Morthoron

Alright, Randy!

Tales of a Dark Continent (a novel of speculative fiction from the 4th Age of Far-East Middle-earth)...

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4625805/1/Tales_of_a_Dark_Continent

And the parody novelization that starts with Monty Python's The Hobbit (and continues in series with Monty Python's Return of the King, etc.)...

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4732841/1/Monty_Pythons_The_Hobbit

Other than that, buy my book when/if it gets published.

11/9/2011 #9

I highly recommend Tales of a Dark Continent, which is transformative fiction at its best. It uses Tolkien's world while remaining entirely original in its plot. Take that, Diana Gobbledygook!

You also mentioned a sequel to Tales, that featured a Thranduil very different from my own conception of the character. I can only hope I see that one day.

Your Monty Python Hobbit is superior to The Soddit, IMO. The humor in the entire series is pure Morth and much more 'mature' than Bored of the Rings. (King Thranduil forgives you for the accent and invites you to discuss it over Dorwinion at your leisure. Cozy lodging will be provided for an extended visit.)

11/9/2011 #10
militaryhistory

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5620811/1/The_Long_Road_Home

Probably my best work.

Best LOTR work would probably be...

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6596777/1/Stealing_a_Silmaril

11/9/2011 #11
Olorime

I love Entwife. :)

It's beautiful.

11/9/2011 #12

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5620811/1/The_Long_Road_Home

Probably my best work.

Definitely. And now I'm a WWZ fan myself thanks to reading it and having a generous friend send me WWZ.

11/9/2011 #13
Morthoron

First of all, Thanks Randy!

The humor in the entire series is pure Morth and much more 'mature' than Bored of the Rings. (King Thranduil forgives you for the accent and invites you to discuss it over Dorwinion at your leisure. Cozy lodging will be provided for an extended visit.)

Våt vas dåt? Nei, nei, nei, seely 'lil dörf! Der keeng øv der Zilvån vølks in der pitcher-schøw is collöqvial-schpækink åz dey kommen. Dåts vhy før he's a'schpækink der våy he dö!

You also mentioned a sequel to Tales, that featured a Thranduil very different from my own conception of the character. I can only hope I see that one day.

That would require 400 pages of edits to assure 'conceptual continuity' with the other story. And with my present projects, there is absolutely no time to devote to fan-fic.

11/9/2011 . Edited 11/9/2011 #14

Våt vas dåt? Nei, nei, nei, seely 'lil dörf! Der keeng øv der Zilvån vølks in der pitcher-schøw is collöqvial-schpækink åz dey kommen. Dåts vhy før he's a'schpækink der våy he dö!

Yes, you will be occupying the cell, er, guest quarters next to the people responsible for this:

That would require 400 pages of edits to assure 'conceptual continuity' with the other story. And with my present projects, there is absolutely no time to devote to fan-fic.

A very great shame, that.

11/9/2011 #15
Morthoron

Yes, you will be occupying the cell, er, guest quarters next to the people responsible for this:

Yes, well before you consign me to to 9th level of Laiquendi Hell, you know that Thranduil's terrible, malaprop-ridden and mangled Nordic is double-canonic (in a sense): there is the German-accented alien Thranduil of Rankin-Bass's cartoon (what is Otto Preminger doing there?), and also a ten minute-long subtitle sequence of mangled Norwegian in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. If anything, I ALWAYS remain within the canon. ;P

11/9/2011 #16
The Lauderdale

Orc-brat is my magnum opus. Is it my best work, though? Maybe that should go to something that is actually finished.

Randy's Entwife painting is beautiful. 9_9

11/9/2011 #17
Virtuella

Best LOTR work would probably be Stealing A Silmaril

Yes. Definitely.

I like Randy's Entwife too, especially the soft, flowing lines, but excuse me for asking, where is her face?

My best work of fanfic is Truth Be Told. Best original work is still in progress...

And I need to chime into the praise of Morth's Tales. Anyone who hasn't read it yet should do so.

11/9/2011 #18
Hamfast Gamgee

I think the one bit of original work I am most proud of is this one.

RTFM

11/9/2011 . Edited 11/9/2011 #19

I like Randy's Entwife too, especially the soft, flowing lines, but excuse me for asking, where is her face?

It's hidden up in her foliage. LOL

11/9/2011 #20
Nimbus Llewelyn

Sorry, didn't see the thread. This, a discworld one shot: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6795840/1/Justice_is_Done

11/10/2011 #21

Because I'm shameless and have bragged on it often enough in these pages, King Stag: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3641918/1/King_Stag

Why I'm proud of it -- for the pagan themes within it. Although I've stayed as true to canon as possible, these aren't your well-behaved Valar-fearing Tolkien elves. I'm also fond of my use of the poetry of TS Eliot and WB Yeats.

11/14/2011 #22
DarkPatu
This might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I used to be quite the furry artist for a while there. I haven't drawn for quite some time. There's a few photos of myself in there as well, but who wants to see my ugly mug? My favorites have to be the series of Dungeons & Dragons based pieces I did for a few of my associates on the site. Starting from "Forsythe D&D Gift Colourwork" and going to "MysticSphinx Ranger Ink(wip)" on the second page. I am also very proud of "Angel of Sacrifice", "Angel of the Void" and "Into the wastes..." even though the last one has his bayonet on the wrong side of the rifle. Nonetheless I used to be quite proud of my artistic ability and felt like sharing.
11/14/2011 #23
Olorime

I believe this may be my best work of fanfiction so far:

11/15/2011 #24
The Lauderdale

@DarkPatu:

This is just typical Laud, but I find that I am partial to the "Pred-Dusty Colour" on the second page.

11/15/2011 #25
DarkPatu

I'm rather pleased with that one as well, it wound up a lot better than I thought it would. I actually used one of my old predator action filters to model her armor and weapons off of. I definitively could have done better with it on the shadowing and perhaps some background too, but it's a bit of alright. I forgot "Monkey Vs. Wolf" as a favorite, man, I did that one back in high school.

11/15/2011 #26
Nimbus Llewelyn

Frankly Dark, your mug isn't ugly, just ordinary. Not as good as mine, but there's no improving on perfection ;P. And seriously, I envy your beard. For a full aesthetic appeal analysis, one of the forum ladies or Iggy would be better.

11/16/2011 #27
Olorime

Well, James... he is a ginger. He gets brownie points for that alone.

11/16/2011 #28
Nimbus Llewelyn
*defers to expert*
11/16/2011 #29
Olorime

However, he is not my type. Not saying he is not good looking or anything, just not attractive to me.

11/16/2011 #30
Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Thranduil Oropherion Redux militaryhistory
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member