Of Cabbages and Kings
Looking for intelligent life at Fanfiction Net? We feature something for everyone: casual chat, serious discussion, debate, fun and games, and that delicious wank. Are you ready to play with the big dogs? Come inside, come inside!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 .. Last Next »
R. Zancan

Let's not read his new chapter :P I already have IQ bleeding out of my ears from his posts, I can't take any more of his story too.

12/3/2011 #151
Nimbus Llewelyn

Ha Ha! Do welsh next!

12/3/2011 #152
darkpaledin

hey guys!!! Soz 4 nut postin earlyr 2day me and sum frends made a rap album! it wss tons of fun and soo thug. im a relly good raper, maybe wen my frend jake iz done mixin it hell put it on youtube nd u guyz can c!!! anywayz i had 2 ask sumthin. dpes any1 kno anythin about da civil war?? i torned in a paper a week ago but my teasher mad me rewrit it!! ND SE GAV ME DETESHON (ses ttlly a bich) i wuz wonderin if any of u guyz coud post sum facts so i kan rit dis. it oly has 2 b 1 pag long its due monday so if any u guyz no anythin PLZ POST!1. ALSO BTW i caled my sistr dis mornin 2 ask if gwen stephani has any song dat sez "tik tok" in it and se does!! its kalled "wachu watin 4". i wtched da musik video nd se does say it!!! shes so hot in it. hers a link 4 u all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTfbCOPApsQ

do u fink dat se and kesa planed it out??? if so dat rox so hrad!!

12/3/2011 #153
Hamfast Gamgee

You're slipping pal, you actually spelt a few words correct in that paragraph! Does anyone remember the scene in airplane were they had subtitles for two black New York passangers?

12/4/2011 #154
R. Zancan

Nope, but I seen it now!...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa1rjCZxtxo&feature=related

12/4/2011 #155
cherish15

I've been thinking this whole time....seriously thinking. Why in the world would someone do this. I understand you may want attention but.....if being called stupid everyday makes you feel better then....?

12/4/2011 #156
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

anywayz i had 2 ask sumthin. dpes any1 kno anythin about da civil war??

Milhist would be the one to ask -- politely. However, here's the Cliffs Notes version:

The US Civil war lasted between 1860, when the south seceded from the union and fired on Fort Sumter, and 1865, when General Lee surrendered to General Grant at Appomattox. In the early days of the war, the south seemed to be winning, but that changed with a devastating Confederate loss at Gettysburg. Then there was General Sherman's infamous march to the sea, which cut Georgia in half and was definitely 'scorched earth'.

Causes: We're taught that it was about freeing the slaves, but it was more a case of northern industrial moneyed folk wanting to curtail the economic power of the southern agriculturalists. Bad policy from the Reconstruction period following the war is still costing us to this day. The end.

12/4/2011 #157
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

Does anyone remember the scene in airplane were they had subtitles for two black New York passangers?

From Airplane! A true classic! "Oh, stewardess -- I speak jive!"

12/4/2011 #158
darkpaledin

THANX THRANDUIL

12/4/2011 #159
militaryhistory

Slightly longer version:

1860: Abraham Lincoln, running on a platform of tariffs, industrial policy, and stopping the spread of slavery, is elected president by a plurality of the popular vote. Seven states secede nad form the Confederate States of America.

1861: Lincoln is inaugurated. Fort Sumter is fired on when he attempts to send supplies. Lincoln calls for 90,000 volunteers, and four states secede. First battles--Confederates appear to be winning in all areas save West Virginia.

1862: Northern forces drive the Confederates back on all fronts in the first part of the year, but are knocked back on their heels or are stalled by the end of August. Confederate forces attack into Maryland and Kentucky, but are driven back. Lincoln signs the Emancipation Proclamation, which frees all slaves in all territory not under Northern control by the end of the year. Northern counteroffensives stall by the end of the year.

1863: The North goes on the offensive again in the spring, and achieves some successes, but the offensives stall or, in Virginia, are driven back. Confederate forces invade Pennsylvania, are defeated decisively, and retreat, while Confederate forces in Vicksburg surrender. A Northern offensive into Georgia is defeated, resulting in a siege, which is broken by Northern troops fresh from Vicksburg and Virginia.

1864: The North goes onto the offensive on all fronts, but all drives end up stalling in front of their primary objectives or being driven back. Antiwar sentiment grows as casualty lists grow longer. Northern forces capture Atlanta and devastate the Shenandoah Valley, the Confederacy's breadbasket, in time for the Presidential election. Lincoln wins. Northern forces begin to march through Georgia, destroying all property in their path.

1865: Northern forces again go on the offensive. The Confederate army, war-weary and devastated as Union forces march through the heartland of the South, begins to fall apart. Richmond, the capital of the Confederacy, falls to Northern forces. The army that had defended the city, commanded by the Confederacy's premier general, Robert E. Lee, surrenders to the North on April 9, 1865. Lincoln is assassinated by a southern sympathizer on April 14. Confederate forces begin to surrender as they receive word that Lee has surrendered. No significant Confederate forces remain by July. Reconstruction begins. Slavery abolished by the 13th Amendment.

12/4/2011 . Edited 12/4/2011 #160
darkpaledin

OMG military u rok!!! THANX!!!!! thanx 2 hamfist 2 ya it tok me awihe 2 rit

12/4/2011 #161
cherish15

I'm starting to question whether or not he's a troll. Also Mil how do you know all of that? Is the Civil War one of your expertise?

12/4/2011 #162
militaryhistory

I'm starting to wonder too.

And the answer, Rish, is that I read a lot. Thing is, finding that much information on the Civil War isn't hard. Just go to the library and look for a short history of the war (preferably one written for adults, not children)

12/4/2011 #163
Olorime

Can you tell us something about Grant?

Apparently, he is also an INTJ, which is my personality type according to the Briggs-Myers personality test.

12/4/2011 #164
militaryhistory

Quick question: What does INTJ mean?

12/4/2011 #165
Olorime

INtroverted, iNtuitive, Thinking, Judging.

12/4/2011 #166
militaryhistory

Thank you.

He was all four of those things. He didn't like to talk much, and his uniform was less ostentatious than that of a lieutenant, even when he was a full general. He also, unlike many generals, came to the realization early on that his opponents were often as scared of him as he was of them, and used this to his advantage. He also realized that the era of Napoleonic War was ending, and industrialized warfare had come to take its place, something no one else really seemed to get at the time.

Now, as to whether he was a drunk, the answer is yes and no. Yes, he did resign from the army due to his drinking, but the root cause was separation from his wife. Also, he was a binge drinker rather than an alcoholic, if that makes sense. He also could not stand the sight of blood.

12/4/2011 #167
Olorime

Ah, that makes sense, the drinking. It's a way of coping for people who live mainly in their heads and have a hard time communicating to others.

I have read that he was a brilliant strategist, which is the mark of an INTJ. When I wasn't sure what to study in school I bought this book called Do What You Are and I read about the careers that are better suited for people according to their personality type.

Have you ever taken the Brigg-Myers test? They make us take it in the Navy and the Catholic Church made us take it before we got married in a seminar we were made to attend. It turns out both my husband and I are INTJs.

12/4/2011 . Edited 12/4/2011 #168
cherish15

Ah, okay. Personality test? Is it accurate?

12/4/2011 #169
Olorime

It depends if you answer the questions truthfully or not. I think is mainly accurate.

I have taken the test many times and it always comes out with the same result. *shrugs*

Who knows? It is only a very general sketch of one's personality. For one, I don't think I am a brilliant strategist. I do know I dislike working with others very much and I cannot seem to communicate well with them.

12/4/2011 #170
cherish15

Hmm sounds interesting, maybe I'll try it. How are you Olo?

12/4/2011 #171
Olorime

I am very well, thanks for asking. :)

ETA: You?

12/4/2011 . Edited 12/4/2011 #172
cherish15

Moody (and crampy) lol but I'm getting overdue work for school done. I'm a terrible procrastinator.... which has an effect on my grades. Any plans for the day?

12/4/2011 #173
Olorime

I need to read some papers for my International Economics class. I am making a beef roast for dinner and I need to fold a ton of laundry.

12/4/2011 #174
cherish15

*mouth waters* Roast beef sounds good! International economics? Sounds long. :)

12/4/2011 #175
Olorime

It's a very interesting subject.

Things like PPP (Purchasing Power Parity) fascinate me.

12/4/2011 #176
cherish15

...Really? We did a unit on things like that (GDP,GNI,etc) I have to do a map on Core/Periphery/Semi-Periphery and tell why I chose high medium or low based off of things like those categories. I'm on the explaining part lol.

12/4/2011 #177
Olorime

If you need help, I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Core/Periphery/Semi-Periphery? related to what? Income?

12/4/2011 #178
cherish15

Thank you :) And partly yes. We are given a map, an instruction sheet, and some colored pencils. It says to first fill out a chart (done) and chose four categories that you think best put countries in Core/Periphery/Semi-Periphery categories. I chose Life expectancy, GNIPPP,% of married women using modern contraceptive methods, and % living on less than 2 dollars a day. We had to chart those for each region and two countries within that region. Then pick three colors one representing high,low,and middle. We had to color our charts in first and then color the appropriate regions on the map. Then there are 5 questions to answer.

12/4/2011 #179
Olorime

Ohh, that's really interesting. :)

See, International Macroeconomics is really awesome. It gets even more interesting when you learn how money moves, why, the difference between fiscal and monetary policy and all that.

It really is not all that boring as people make it out to be. I mean, it shows you how and why the world is the way it is now (economically speaking).

12/4/2011 #180
« Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Thranduil Oropherion Redux militaryhistory
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member