Of Cabbages and Kings
Looking for intelligent life at Fanfiction Net? We feature something for everyone: casual chat, serious discussion, debate, fun and games, and that delicious wank. Are you ready to play with the big dogs? Come inside, come inside!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Jarreau
Did you ever just want to argue?
12/28/2011 #1
Jarreau
I'll start off then..*clears throat* Where will the world be in twenty years? And please do not be the unrealistic dunce who says "flying cars".
12/28/2011 #2
StarSpray

Where will the world be in twenty years?

Still orbiting the sun, I should hope.

12/29/2011 #3
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

Did you ever just want to argue?

Fuck yeah! Could you, like, start off by introducing yourself? And do you mean argue intelligently or just plain fight?

12/29/2011 . Edited 12/29/2011 #4

Where will the world be in twenty years?

Climate deteriorating, food becoming harder to obtain, more polarization between the haves and the have-nots, even here in the USA. We'll probably have lots of neat electronic devices to keep us distracted from what's really going on. Fortunately for me, I'll be nearing the end and won't have to worry about how far into the toilet we'll be in 30 or 40 years.

12/29/2011 #5
Blaze Star

To guess? Either we will take over fandom, authors will rebel, anarchy, IT comes down from above (or below, whatever floats your boat), WWIII,IV,V,VI, and VII, world peace, everybody but the 'roaches dead, everybody AND the 'roaches dead, aliens attack earth, snakes gain full human rights, raptors gain human rights, the UL (United Lifeforms) is formed, squirrels declare war on the UL, squirrels are mostly victorious, most humans go undercover and underground with members of the UL species, a society away from the squirrels is formed deep in the earth's crust, some people gain abilities beyond normal standards due to radioactive activity, the people with superpowers 'terminate with extreme prejudice' the squirrels (starting with the high command, appointed for being nuts), a rebellion starts, the squirrels are eliminated, peace comes to earth, the NofE (Nation of Earth) colonizes other planets, an empire is formed, the empire falls, pie is considered a vegetable, or people 20 years from now ask 'Where will the world be in twenty years?' and come up with these ideas. If you want a literal area of Space-Time, A6BS7DJ4-SUB a7b52.54386730178362-1.

12/29/2011 #6

Fuck it, Fanfiction Net -- why can we no longer access a person's profile by clicking on their screen name? That function worked first thing this morning but has since quit.

12/29/2011 #7

Either we will take over fandom, authors will rebel, anarchy,

Another empty profile, only this one mentions 'anonymous'. Blaze, I'll say to you what I said to Chernobylvictim -- you might want to introduce yourself. I'm not usually a hardass about forum rules, but it's just good manners, especially from people who start new threads without checking the ones that already exist.

12/29/2011 #8
Jarreau
I appologize sincerely and will introduce myself immediately. As for checking the other threads, I could not find any serious debate threads, although it is possible I overlooked one.
12/29/2011 #9
Jarreau
Having formally introduced myself, I would like to say this is for inteeligent debate, as fighting always leads to ethics and someone getting banned. As for the Earth in about twenty years, I would say dwindling resources, since we need about one-and-a-half Earths to meet our current needs. The increasing slide into a corporate-run version of "Brave New World", and a rash of wars.
12/29/2011 #10

fighting always leads to ethics and someone getting banned.

Not around here. Just be prepared to defend yourself.

You're right about dwindling resources. The world, as a whole, needs to do something about population.

12/29/2011 #11
militaryhistory

How about a war? That seems to be the only way we'll pull it off, since any worldwide mandatory birth control policy will die aborning, guaranteed.

12/29/2011 #12
Jarreau
Wow, of course I misspell "Intelligent" *facepalm*. As for population control, we could screen everyone in the world, and find the best examples of humanity and good genes from each country, then clean-bomb the rest into oblivion.
12/29/2011 #13
Ragnelle

The world, as a whole, also needs to do something about the distribution of the resources. While overpopulation is a problem it is not the sole problem, nor is birht-controll alone going to solve the problem of dwindling resources. We in the developed parts of the world (and I speak as a citizens of one of the rich countries, deemed to be one of the best countries to live in several years in a row now) need to use less. The prosentage may have changed a bit since my numbers are some years old, but about 80% of the world's resources are used by 20% of its population. Do not tell me that the remaining 80% of the people are the main problem here.

Screening... Not the best idea. Who decides what the "best examples" means? What are the criteria of good genes? We do have some knowledge from animal breeding-program, and one thing that is a problem, is that often the diversity of the genes are lost. That makes the breed more susceptible to genetic deceases and vulnerable: there is a reason that inbreeding is considered a bad idea. And I have not even mentioned the examples of how wrong such a screening have turned out in the past.

Not to mention that I find "the best examples of humanity" and "clean-bobming" to be a contradiction in terms.

12/29/2011 #14
militaryhistory

Ragnelle's points are seconded here. We have a word for what you're proposing. It's called "eugenics." And it never turns out well.

12/30/2011 #15
Jarreau
Yeah, I guess it would end up a bit like Star Trek's "Eugenics wars" and the last thing we need is khan walking the streets. And also, can you think of a more humane way to kill a lot of people?
12/30/2011 #16
militaryhistory

And also, can you think of a more humane way to kill a lot of people?

The problem is this: Goal: Reduce the population of Earth. Method: Get rid of lots of people. Means: Neutron bomb them. The problem isn't how you want to kill them, the problem is that you want to kill them.

12/30/2011 #17

There's no way to kill people humanely -- not even by letting nature take its course through starvation and disease. The humane way to deal with population is to encourage people to limit their families to two children. That will actually make the world population go down, because two is replacement, but not everyone will end up reproducing. For that to happen,we have to reduce infant mortality, because people will have as many children as possible to ensure they have some surviving to care for them in their old age. And this is even if they have the means to prevent conception.

12/30/2011 #18
The Lauderdale

Not to mention there are some faiths which not only discourage contraception but actively encourage spewing out as many babies as possible. Be fruitful and multiply!

Whatever happened to the old plan: building up the space program, breeding like rabbits and exporting all our bullshit to the stars?

12/30/2011 #19
militaryhistory

Whatever happened to the old plan: building up the space program, breeding like rabbits and exporting all our bullshit to the stars?

It was deemed too visionary and impractical.

12/30/2011 #20

Not to mention there are some faiths which not only discourage contraception but actively encourage spewing out as many babies as possible. Be fruitful and multiply!

I wish there was a way to segregate humanity so that people with that way of thinking would be the ones to live with the consequences. *cough* Joe Bob Duggar *Cough* I don't care if he personally can support all those kids. The future is like a huge banquet table with a limited number of seats. He's taking more than his share.

"Flying Mother Nature's silver seed to its new home in the sun"? I guess we've decided we can't afford it. Very short-sighted.

12/30/2011 . Edited 12/30/2011 #21

The world, as a whole, also needs to do something about the distribution of the resources. While overpopulation is a problem it is not the sole problem, nor is birht-controll alone going to solve the problem of dwindling resources. We in the developed parts of the world (and I speak as a citizens of one of the rich countries, deemed to be one of the best countries to live in several years in a row now) need to use less. The prosentage may have changed a bit since my numbers are some years old, but about 80% of the world's resources are used by 20% of its population. Do not tell me that the remaining 80% of the people are the main problem here.

We've had this discussion before. I'm not sure whether you're speaking of food or energy. Energy, well, yes. But the use of energy allows people to live in areas of the planet where either cold or extreme heat would kill them. Food is difficult to transport halfway around the globe. I've been living the green life since 1972, and at this point, I can't use much less and continue to live where I live.

12/30/2011 #22
militaryhistory

I guess we've decided we can't afford it. Very short-sighted.

Agreed. We've got all of our eggs in one basket. I don't like that much. I don't know if there's intelligent life out there, but I'd rather us find them than the other 'way round.

12/30/2011 #23

Given the vast distances and time differences involved, the chances of humanity finding other intelligent life are very slim, which is just as well.

12/30/2011 #24
militaryhistory

Agreed.

12/30/2011 #25
The Lauderdale

the chances of humanity finding other intelligent life are very slim, which is just as well.

For the other life forms. ;)

12/30/2011 #26

For us too. Cultures that come across other cultures with vastly superior technology often go into a state of depression and self-destruct.

12/30/2011 #27
The Lauderdale

Do you think they'd have the superior technology if we're the ones finding them? Although, I do recall a line from somewhere about the strongest proof there is intelligent life out there is that it hasn't contacted us.

12/30/2011 #28
Morthoron

I don't see how killing all the Eugenes in the world will do a bit of good.

12/30/2011 #29
Jarreau
Now only nineteen years till our predictions are tested.
12/31/2011 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Thranduil Oropherion Redux militaryhistory
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member