Of Cabbages and Kings
Looking for intelligent life at Fanfiction Net? We feature something for everyone: casual chat, serious discussion, debate, fun and games, and that delicious wank. Are you ready to play with the big dogs? Come inside, come inside!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Hamfast Gamgee

Well, now that we have it. How does anyone intend to use it if we do. For those that don't know, this site has a new feature whereby one can have an avatar for one's tales a bit like an illustration for a book I suppose. But what one to have? With the vagries of some fanfic this is a tricky question. Some of mine might be enhanced by an avatar of the Prancing Pony Inn I suppose, but I'm not sure about the others.

6/5/2012 . Edited 6/5/2012 #1
LasseLanta01

Just be careful that you aren't using copyrighted pictures.

6/5/2012 #2
Thranduil Oropherion Redux

Just be careful that you aren't using copyrighted pictures.

Since just about every photo other than ones you take yourself (and those copyright free stock photos you can find online) is copyrighted, we're all screwed. I may have to change mine now to something else. Dammit -- I really like the one I'm using now.

6/5/2012 #3
Ragnelle

We are not asked about copyright when it comes to the avatars for the profile. Might it be a solution to find a different image that works for the stories, and use that for the stories and keep the profile one for the profile?

I've put separate images for all my stories, but then I don't have too many of them so it is not too much of a job. I think it would be better if we could choose an image from the image-manager for our default image in stories instead of the avatar, like now. I own the avatar I use, so for me it is not a concern, but it does not work well as a book-cover. Especially with the strange cutting they do to make it fit.

(Typical, and quite off-toppic, but I have been up for a while trying to see if I could catch a glimpse of the Venus-passage., but the sun has been hiding behind clouds. Then, just minutes after it is over, the sun came out. Bugger!)

6/5/2012 #4
piewacket

We are not asked about copyright when it comes to the avatars for the profile. Might it be a solution to find a different image that works for the stories, and use that for the stories and keep the profile one for the profile?

Kelvin said that he's already sought and received permission to use a couple of different images. If you know who owns the rights, it might be worth a quick email explaining what you want to use it for. Since the image was designed for advertisement to begin with, I doubt they'd have much of an issue with it.

6/5/2012 #5

I'm probably not bothering with the book cover thing for my stories, except for a few that were truly original.

6/6/2012 #6
Hamfast Gamgee

I think you'd be fine with your avatar, Randy. All I see is a man with a whip and a hat. No-one can claim rights on that, can they?

6/9/2012 #7
Virtuella

I made a front cover ages ago for Measure of a Man. It has my own drawing of Deoric and the background is a collage of various landscape photos, birds, horses etc that I found on the net. I'll never be able to find them all again to ask permission. :( I'll need to find out, though, if Dark Tari is still around, since she drew me a lovely Angelina.

On the whole, though, don't you think this new feature actually invites breech of copyright? If people can add pictures, they'll want to, and most people won't have their own, so they'll use someone else's. :(

6/10/2012 #8
Nieriel Raina

Okay, I just discovered this new toy and I'm already annoyed with the size and the way it's situated. All the banners I have already made are for horizontal format or as avatars and I'll be damned if I'm remaking new ones. :-/

On the whole, though, don't you think this new feature actually invites breech of copyright? If people can add pictures, they'll want to, and most people won't have their own, so they'll use someone else's. :(

And then you get into manippers who use bits and pieces of others' work which is questionable on copyright. Technically it's a new piece but you're using the bits without permission. Ah well, if they delete me, I'm about fed up enough with the site I won't care. Not like I'm writing anymore anyway. ;-p

6/14/2012 #9

Hey -- look who's here! How has life been treating you?

As I said before, I'm not sure I'll be using the image thingie much. Except for some lovely drawings by Greywing, which I'm sure I can use.

6/15/2012 #10
Nieriel Raina

Hey -- look who's here!

I do lurk sometimes. Not often, but occasionally when I'm really bored. =D

How has life been treating you?

They say a picture is worth a thousand words... so here:

Life is good. :)

I used the one drawing I have by Greywing and I turned my banners sideways, but that's about it. I really don't see how that's going to bring in more readers, personally. It's not really a useable size or orientation. *shrugs*

6/15/2012 #11

They say a picture is worth a thousand words... so here:

LOL -- that first one is certainly a wonderful way to see the world.

6/16/2012 #12
Forum Moderators: Thranduil Oropherion Redux militaryhistory
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member