Woman of the Bible
Come to talk about the good and bad woman of the Bible
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
Ladychristythenoble

So what do you think of Miss Jazabel, do you think she could have ever become a Godly woman?

2/24/2009 #1
broadwayfreak123

What book of the Bible is Jezabel in? I've never heard of her before...

3/20/2009 #2
Ladychristythenoble

I think in 1st and/or 2nd Kings

3/22/2009 #3
broadwayfreak123

Okay! I think I'll go re-read those books sometime soon.

3/23/2009 . Edited 3/23/2009 #4
Ladychristythenoble

She was really wicked, she was married to king Ahab, and led him from the Lord.

3/24/2009 #5
broadwayfreak123

Ooh, that's not good at all.

3/25/2009 #6
Ladychristythenoble

no I hope I will be a better consoul to my husband when I get married.

3/25/2009 #7
broadwayfreak123

Lol, I'm sure you will.

3/28/2009 #8
Ladychristythenoble

Why thakn u :D So did u find Jazabels story?

4/1/2009 #9
broadwayfreak123

:p not yet...

4/2/2009 #10
Ladychristythenoble

Well hurry up! JK :D It is a very interesting story i can't wait for you to read it :D

4/3/2009 #11
Maliya Wong

--

8/23/2009 . Edited 2/5/2013 #12
Ladychristythenoble

Yes but she is also an example of how us women (or man) can use our "power" for bad causes

8/25/2009 #13
Maliya Wong

--

8/25/2009 . Edited 2/5/2013 #14
Ladychristythenoble

Yes I understand that but she also should't have used her husband like that, after all women are called to respect their husbands, but then again I'm probably just naive :D

8/25/2009 #15
Maliya Wong

--

8/25/2009 . Edited 2/5/2013 #16
Ladychristythenoble

Yeah I mean it was probably just an aranged marriage. And very true we can't judge with out knowing all the details :D

8/26/2009 #17
ImagingThings

I kinda feels sorry for her... that's gonna be one sucky way to die!

8/26/2009 #18
Ladychristythenoble

yeah but she had it coming to her, she did have a chance to change.

8/27/2009 #19
Maliya Wong

--

8/27/2009 . Edited 2/5/2013 #20
Ladychristythenoble

She would have been better respected

8/29/2009 #21
Maliya Wong

--

8/29/2009 . Edited 2/5/2013 #22
Atarah Derek

Jezebel wasn't simply following her own religion and encouraging her husband to do the same. She was exploiting Ahab and Israel. She wasn't an Israelite and thus should not have had any authority over Israel. But Ahab let her walk all over him. He never should have married a Canaanite in the first place, as it was expressly forbidden by Israeli law. That's why Elijah confronted Ahab, and why Jezebel hated Elijah so much.

Jezebel did a number of things that were detrimental to Israel's society. She attempted to murder of one of Israel's most respected prophets; she practically usurped the throne from the weakling Ahab; she decreed that Israel worship the Canaanite gods--worship that included burning children alive to Molech; she allowed and even encouraged the existence of sex trafficking in places of worship set up for Ba'al and Molech; and she stole land from citizens. And those are just the things we have on record!

I imagine that the character of Zira from the second Lion King film is based somewhat on Jezebel. She has the same manic personality. I wouldn't put it past a power-hungry woman like Jezebel to kill her own children.

8/30/2009 #23
Maliya Wong

--

8/31/2009 . Edited 2/5/2013 #24
Atarah Derek

You shouldn't judge a historical figure whom you don't know personally.

Perhaps, but she did commit enough atrocities in Israel that it's difficult not to judge her. "By their fruits you will know them." After all, what does the majority of the western world think about Hitler? Why do they hold such an opinion of him? What do they say he was capable of that he might not have actually done? What warrants our "judgment" of him? Or of Stalin? Or Mao Tse Tung? Kim Il Sung? Osama bin Laden? Saddam Hussein?

In that sense, given what Jezebel had done and what she was capable of doing, she could be compared to Hitler. No one with that mentality should be given power of any kind, be they male, female, red, yellow, black, white, or pink with purple polka dots.

9/3/2009 #25
ImagingThings

Osama bin Laden?

And... for a second there I read that as Obama... then I read rest of the name

or pink with purple polka dots.

That kinda gave me a very weird mental image... don't think a pink guy with purple polka dots would have that much luck ensnaring the masses... why? Coz everyone would be giggling like mad!

Right... back to Jeezebel! Of course her doing those things she (appearently did) was wrong... but then again... did she even want to go to Israel and marry the king? Probably not!

9/3/2009 #26
Atarah Derek

Right... back to Jeezebel! Of course her doing those things she (appearently did) was wrong... but then again... did she even want to go to Israel and marry the king? Probably not!

Well, it wasn't a trap she was exactly struggling to get out of. Besides, if she had just "removed" Ahab, she would have had total control over Israel (not that she didn't anyway; Ahab was more or less her puppet). It wouldn't have been the first time in Israel's history that they were ruled by a woman (Deborah, who now has her own thread), and it certainly wouldn't be the last (Joash's grandmother, whose name escapes me at the moment).

9/3/2009 #27
costley51

(yes I am throwing cross-overs in!!) So in Harry Potter, Olivander talks of Voldemord (and his wand) saying, "He did great things. Horrible... yes, but great."

This would be the same way I'd think of the people we've brought up. Whether Jezebel or Stalin, they obtained great power, and in a way, that is impressive, but it doesn't change that what they did with that power was often very horrible. Power corrupts very easily.

**and I know it's kind of off, but Esther is my favorite!!!! Now there is a woman who used her power for good.

11/24/2009 #28
Maliya Wong

-

11/25/2009 . Edited 2/5/2013 #29
BookObsesserNumberOne

I relativize Jezebel a lot though. She lived long ago, in a different world, in a different social context. I don't think we can judge her with our modern eyes so easily, the way we can with Stalin, etc.

Exactly! When I watching Bewitched on Youtube, there was all these comments on how Darrin bosses Samantha around. That was a different time, folks. What Darrin was doing was more than acceptable. But nevertheless, the Bible was seeing her through the eyes of the time. If the Bible says she committed atrocities, then she probably did things that were considered atrocities in her time as well as ours.

9/20/2010 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: Ladychristythenoble
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member