Naruto's Playground!
Welcome to the Playground.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
MegaB

Alright here it is. Same rules as the others. No 'Lemon Stories' i.e. books devoted to adult-themed audiences unless it's blood and gore and that stuff. As a moral society we should have limits and I'm afraid that some genres totally break that ethical barrier. I only hope that you guys agree!

So here's my usual two cents:

Harry Potter (Duh!)

Inheritance Series

Pendragon Series

Artemis Fowl

Alex Rider Series

Those are my favourites and I'm not about to rattle off on all the books I've ever read. The list is too extensive and would cover every genre apart from what was stated in the opening note. Classics are, and always will be, the most valuable reads but I tend to enjoy the teenage-minded fiction not due to their prose, but because of the unique ideas that they possess.

So shoot me. I have a penchant for Sci-fi and adventure. Who doesn't?

5/17/2009 #1
Dreamweaver Mirar

heh.

Well, other than those (which I also recommend) some good (mostly sci-fi and fantasy) novels are:

The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (I'm sure plenty of you have heard of this, Epic fantasy, the first part of the twelth book comes out in November)

The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind (Epic fantasy, 10 books I believe)

The Gentleman Bastards sequence by Scott Lynch (Lies of Locke Lamora and Red Seas Under Red Skies so far, about a con-man in a somewhat magical, alternate medieval world)

The Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix (also somewhat epic, Necromancy, magic, evil from the beginning of time, etc)

The Narnia Series by C.S. Lewis (one of the best fantasy ever, couple of good movies have been made from this)

The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer (I'm sure all of you know this one, Girl meets Vamp = love. Worth reading if only so that you know what you're talking about when you bash it ;P)

The Lost Years of Merlin series by TA Barron (one of the best Merlin as a child series ever)

The Dark is Rising sequence by Susan Cooper (one of the first fantasy stories I'd ever read, very good)

any and all Star Wars books (you can spend years catching up in the Expanded Universe)

Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (heck, everything by Dan Brown that I've read has been good, and that would be everything, lol)

Pretty much anything by Michael Crichton (sci fi all the way, he is the one who wrote Jurrasic Park)

The Swarm by Frank Schatzing (sci fi novel, big, but good, and you keep wondering which parts are real science and which he made up)

all of Tamora Pierces books (fantasy- a bunch of quartets, and some smaller sets of books)

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (urban fantasy, wozard detective in chicago. he just started writing less than a decade ago and has become one of my favorite authors, also check out his COdex Alera epic fantasy)

thats just a few books off the top of my head I've been reading/rereading lately. ues, I realise that I read WAY too much.

5/17/2009 . Edited 2/4/2011 #2
knuckz

I recommend the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman, which was my favourite series.

And my single favourite book was Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (which is sci-fi). Ender's Shadow was also pretty good, though I believe that Ender's Game was the superior story, with an amazing twist at the end, which Ender's Shadow didn't have / ruined.

And if you're into action books, then anything by Matthew Reilly. The series that starts with Ice Station, and also the series that starts with 7 Deadly Wonders (which has a hilarious joke about Australia in it at the very end of the book).

Amazonia by James Rollins was a good read as well.

The Chrysalids (Re-Birth in the US; damn Americans think they deserve better, lol) by John Wyndham was also a very very interesting read.

Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, and Harry Potter. All of them are pretty good, but unlike everyone else, I don't think they were the best. Personally, I consider these three to be worst on this list; especially Harry Potter, which was ruined for me by JK. :(

But all these books are excellent reads anyway, and I recommend them all.

5/17/2009 . Edited 5/17/2009 #3
Ageant

Alright, I'm a bust in here like the 900 pound gorilla in the room. Anything involving Malazan, and of course a "Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin.

Anything Cthulu related, if only so you can giggle like I do whenever I see a round room. On that same note, I am a huge Conan fan, I grew up reading it, and I still love it to this day, some of them are very formulaic and kind of meh. The good ones thougn, they stand up to time till this day.

Of course how could I forget the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb.

5/17/2009 . Edited 5/17/2009 #4
MegaB

I second LoTR, Song of Ice and Fire, Wheel of Time and Narnia. However....Twilight?! That's not literature! That's a over-excited schoolgirl's attempt at writing a story for other girls just like her. I'm not joking! I almost retched when I read a bit of it! I used to be a part of a forum that had in-depth analyses on the most popular books out there called 'impishidea'. I recommend anyone who considers reading Twilight to read what's on that site before making up your mind. Also, don't tell any of them where I am, I used to be pretty popular down there until I left of my own volition and I'd rather not get a storm of PMs asking me to return.

Feel free to tell them I told you to check it out though! Especially SlyShy and his motley crew of admins. They're a great bunch!

5/18/2009 #5
Ageant

I can definitely agree with the Rogue Squadron books from SW EU. I spent months when I was younger reading each one. Big ups for my man Wedge Antilles.

5/18/2009 #6
InARealPickle

For those who are fans of historical fiction I will share with you one of my favorite series! :)

It's a mix of action, adventure, romance, drama, and a little fantasy all wrapped up in a early 20th century and 18th century package.

It's the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. She's an amazing writer! She got her start writing the first book for fun. She wanted to see if she was able to write a novel. Apparently she posted a couple of chapters to a message board for aspiring authors and received an overwhelmingly positive response and an offer from a Random House agent. Funny how people fall into their careers like that. She used to be a professor of marine biology.

Why do I know all this you ask?

It's on her website. :D I visit periodically to see when the next book will be out. Her 7th in the series will be out this September! I'm really excited because there's about a 2/3 year wait for each one.

This is from her site... taken from a magazine article. I can't remember which one.

“The eagerly anticipated seventh novel in Diana Gabaldon’s worldwide bestselling Outlander saga (seventeen million copies in print!) is a masterpiece of historical fiction from one of the most popular authors of our time! [modest cough. Look, I didn’t write the headline, OK?]

So yeah, you should check her books out. You can probably find them in your local library if you don't want to buy them. I own them, but they're in pretty sad shape because I got paperback. I'm going to try to talk my husband into buying me the collection in hardback for my birthday.

For those of you not in N. America, I think that the title of the first book is different for you guys. It's Cross Stitch(ed?) instead of Outlander. I don't know if the other five books have different names though. Although I do know that the book covers are different over in Europe and Aussie land.

5/18/2009 #7
Sucal

Do you want to know the true ending of twilight, which will be the end of the final book....

Buffy then staked Edward and all was right in the world.

5/18/2009 #8
MegaB

Pickle, could we have a summary of those books please? I'd love to know if they're up my alley or not!

5/19/2009 #9
Dreamweaver Mirar

I thought of a few more series that are good.

Simon R. Green's Nightside series (a PI in a wacky world hidden in the middle of London, somewhat dark and the main character, John Taylor is awesome)

Thomas E. Sniegoski's Fallen series (about a teenager who finds out he is a nephilim (part angel, part human)) and his other books are good also (ie. The Sleeper Conspiracy)

David Clement Davies' Firebringer, The Sight (and it's sequel) are great books, along the lines of Watership Down (which is also good) and the Redwall Series (though much more serious)

5/20/2009 #10
InARealPickle

If you haven't read Alas Babylon you might find it intersting. It's a Cold War Era novel about how a community survives a nuclear war.

6/11/2009 #11
Lainana

Gone but not forgotten - a random novel sitting upstairs on my bed side stand. I can't remember who wrote it.

6/11/2009 #12
Lainana

we keep it

pg in here. most of the time o: because we don't know when new people are going to stumble in.

6/12/2009 #13
Lainana

We're going with no cussing because of anyone under the age 15.

6/12/2009 #14
Lainana

Stop swearing then, potty mouth.

6/12/2009 #15
knuckz

@no tears

Nobody here (at the moment) will be offended by swearing, especially since those words filtered, but you should still make it a point to tone it down a bit, since it can be a little displeasing to read.

However, everybody here has been friendly with each other, even while poking a little bit of fun at people. Direct rudeness will not be tolerated. Swearing in general is okay; swearing at others is not.

Now, I don't know if you meant that in a joking manner or not, but I'll leave this as a reminder for everyone on this forum. Of course, I can't really say anything to MegaB or InARealPickle, but just remember to be friendly people.

6/12/2009 #16
knuckz

No worries; just remember to take it easy!

6/12/2009 #17
Ageant

I'm just happy to see you alive and well, and not buried under a stack of test Knuckz!

6/12/2009 #18
knuckz

Thanks for the concern, but don't worry about me! I've already completed my exam period early June, so I now have my summer vacation ahead of me. I'm almost all set!

Now, if only I can find a darned job...

6/12/2009 #19
Dreamweaver Mirar

Now, if only I can find a darned job...

i know exactly what you're talking about!

6/12/2009 #20
Mrriddler

I remember this one. I think they made a CSI episode out of the whole "breeding a genetically compatible donor" concept. Golly was that a emotional coaster ride.

6/28/2009 #21
MegaB

Guys, I'm getting withdrawal syptoms because I can't get my hands on Raven Rise. Can someone please recommend a novel that is like...your most favourite book of all time?

7/14/2009 #22
Sucal

Webmage is pretty good, Also The Night Angel Trilogy is epic,

7/14/2009 #23
Fear Die Rothaarige

The immortals serise it good too! The second book just came out! I got it yeasturday and am on like page 100!

Evermore- first book

blue moon- second

7/14/2009 #24
MegaB

Excellent! I'll look them up!

7/14/2009 #25
knuckz

My single favourite book was Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. It's a sci-fi about a genius kid who is taken to a battle school in space so he can fight against aliens. And trust me, it's better than it sounds.

Oh and by the way, MegaB, do you still want the Pendragon ebook? If you do, then come on chatzy as soon as possible.

7/14/2009 #26
Dreamweaver Mirar

does Knuckz have the ebook?

if so, mega shall be happy!

pretty much all of Orson Scott Card's books are full of win.

7/14/2009 #27
Fear Die Rothaarige

Oh. . anothe book you might like is Bottled up! I havce read it like 6 times and still love it! Give me a sec and ill give you teh summury.

7/14/2009 #28
Fear Die Rothaarige

Okay here it is.

In hiding Pip's desperate to escape his life-hes been skipping classes, drinking, getting high. Anything and everything to avoid his smug teachers, his sweet but needy little brother, his home life. Nows he's been busted by principle Giraldi, and given an ultimatum: eather he shows up for classes and sees a counselor after school, or hes expelled. Pip's freaked out; not because he might get kicked out of school but by the thought that Giraldi might call his father. Because Pip will do anything to aviod his father.

7/14/2009 #29
knuckz

Wow, the ebook is impossible to find! I've only managed to find the audio book for Raven Rise.

7/14/2009 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: MegaB Lainana, Tenraku-Ichi, Shivakashi, Dreamweaver Mirar, Sucal, knuckz, InARealPickle
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member