Veritaville
we are the Veritas. By definition, the Veritas are not a cult, we are a political party dedicated to trying to make the fandom a better place. Or just chatting. Whatever strikes us.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 .. Last Next »
Fishpony

All the teachers make such a big deal out of ADD and ADHD. It's a little ridiculous.

3/29/2010 #451
Fishpony

My sis has ADD and has to take medication that ruins her appetite and now she's so super skinny. It makes me mad because I think she paid attention before she was on it.

3/29/2010 #452
storm-brain

ADD medication made me do that too, when I took it in fifth grade. It also gave me horrible insomnia. That wasn't fun.

Yeah... I don't think I ever had ADD. I think I was just a fifth grader bored in math.

3/29/2010 #453
SisterGrimmErin

I'm on 2.5 grams (.0051165 lbs.) or 2,500 milligrams of ADD and depression medication. My body has a high resistance to it.

But... I kind of feel like I don't need it. You know? I never felt that depressed before I was on it.

(I don't think crying on the playground in the fourth grade because you don't have anyone to play with is a sign of bi-polar disorder. Just sayin'.)

3/29/2010 #454
storm-brain

You're old enough you should have some say in what you swallow. I highly doubt your parents really want to be paying for it, from what you said about the health care, if it doesn't ahve any effect on you. If you really need ADD medicine at all, maybe you should switch.

3/29/2010 #455
Fishpony

I hate seeing my sis so upset all the time. I mean, mood swings at her age are natural and when I was as old as her I cried all the time but I still get so mad.

3/29/2010 #456
SisterGrimmErin

Overmedication of psychiatric disorders is a serious problem in today's society. It can also ruin parent-child relatuonships and cause mass hysteria-- while actual diseases go overlooked.

3/29/2010 #457
Fishpony

About half my friends have been "diagnosed" with ADHD and I remember people saying stuff about ADD and ADHD being some brain condition. And then people are ashamed that they have it. Jeez...

3/29/2010 #458
SisterGrimmErin

I don't have much say in what I take-- it's just always been this way. We frequently switch medications and adjust dosages, always up.

My psychiatrist kind of sides with my mother-- who labels "oppositional" behaviors-- translation: fights with my mother, things I confide in her about the situation at school to doodling on my jeans as a sign of manic behavior.

...Ffs, it all seems sensible for a while.

(My mother's complaints about the rising cost of health care would be a lot more sympathetic if credit card debt wasn't the main reason behind our Chapter 13 filing.)

3/29/2010 #459
storm-brain

There was this Frontline about that, about how it was basically a "there was an old lady who swallowed a fly" effect. The kid gets meds for attention, but they give him anxiety. He gets meds for anxiety, tehy give him insomnia, he gets meds for insomnia...

ED: I guess it's that if it's not working... oh, I don't know. Maybe you can try and convince tehm to do a week off meds to see how you do?

3/29/2010 . Edited 3/29/2010 #460
Fishpony

I remember having insomnia all throughout fith grade and I wasn't even taking medication.

3/29/2010 #461
SisterGrimmErin

That's kind of what happened with my sister. She was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder for the same reasons I was when she was a normal child around the age of seven, and now my parents are convinced she isn't capable of moving out of the house.

...Ffs, she would be fine if throwing fits didn't get her whatever she wanted.

3/29/2010 #462
SisterGrimmErin

...Uh, storm-brain, you are aware of the withdrawal phenomeon? If I just all of a sudden stopped taking meds, I'd probably have serious brain damage.

3/29/2010 #463
SisterGrimmErin

Most children of that age have trouble sleeping. It's not necessarily a problem.

3/29/2010 #464
storm-brain

bi-polar? Seriously? because you were crying on the playground? I mean, I have mood swings all the time.

OK. Since I don't know either of you personally, it's not my place to pass judgement, but I think your parents diagnose too easily.

3/29/2010 #465
Fishpony

Ugh, throwing fits just didn't work in my family. Maybe it's because we started kind of late. At the age of eight it just doesn't pack the same kind of punch.

3/29/2010 #466
storm-brain

I didn't mean stop all at once. I mean like cut down gradually and then see if you can get by without for a bit.

3/29/2010 #467
SisterGrimmErin

They probably do.

Meh. At this point, it probably would have negative effects-- I'm pretty much dependent on the meds whether or not I have an actual seratonin defiency.

3/29/2010 #468
Fishpony

Is it possible to get addicted to that kind of medication? Like you can't focus at all if you're not on it? I think I heard that somewhere.

3/29/2010 #469
SisterGrimmErin

It is-- and I'm pretty sure I am after seven years.

3/29/2010 #470
storm-brain

...that's not good...

3/29/2010 #471
Fishpony

That's really not good.

3/29/2010 #472
storm-brain

I went through three meds before essentially making my mom stop trying. She wasn't fully convinced I needed them either. Yeah, I was eleven. But I do fine now.

3/29/2010 #473
SisterGrimmErin

No, probably not.

3/29/2010 #474
storm-brain

Is that it, then? You have them for teh rest of your life?

3/29/2010 #475
Fishpony

Apparently ADHD is genetic even though it does not follow the typical "genetic diseases". That's odd.

3/29/2010 #476
SisterGrimmErin

...I don't know.

3/29/2010 #477
storm-brain

Ah. I'm sorry.

If talking about your meds weird you out, Erin, we can stop. Lol.

3/29/2010 #478
SisterGrimmErin

No, it just bothers me that someone can find this if they Google my e-mail.

3/29/2010 #479
storm-brain

They can? I'm a mod. Want me to delete everything you posted about it?

3/29/2010 #480
« Prev Page 1 .. 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: storm-brain Your Sugar Sits Untouched, Kay Celestine, Aish Sheva, hecates
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member